Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 500200 times)

Offline Noel_Vera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #810 on: Dec 17, 2005 at 03:51 PM »
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2005 at 04:27 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #811 on: Dec 25, 2005 at 03:15 AM »

Another Brocka movie coming soon to DVD from www.cinefilipino.com.

About Cine Filipino.

In partnership with Regal Films, Sampaguita Pictures and other renowned studios, cinefilipino brings together what could probably be the definitive collection of Philippine cinema on DVD and VCD. Award-winning Filipino films that have been lauded and enjoyed in the past can now be collected and enjoyed right in the comforts of home.

This collection, and other titles coming soon, gather the works of Philippine cinema masters like Lino Brocka and Ishmael Bernal - classic and contemporary Filipino movies that have left a creative and critical stamp on local cinema.

Each film has been digitally remastered or restored, color corrected, and subtitled. cinefilipino has strived to preserve them in their best possible state so this collection becomes a legacy for all film-loving Filipinos, in this generation and the next.

Sana maging successful ang company na ito. Suportahan sana ng mga Pinoy DVD members. Ako bumili na ako ng Pahiram ng isang Umaga kahit ang karibal ni Ate Guy ang bida don.  :) Hopefully they'll do HIMALA soon.
« Last Edit: Dec 25, 2005 at 03:18 AM by pinoymovies »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #812 on: Dec 25, 2005 at 06:13 PM »
What films have been released under this "label"?

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #813 on: Dec 26, 2005 at 01:57 AM »
What films have been released under this "label"?

Check out the site, bro. They have a line-up of films for release, however then most of 'em are still tagged "coming soon".

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #814 on: Dec 26, 2005 at 08:36 AM »
According to the www.cinefilipino.com

These are now available

Coming soon naman ang mga ito

Coming soon from Sampaguita Pictures

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #815 on: Dec 26, 2005 at 08:50 AM »

btw, Iginuhit ng Tadhana ay story ni Marcos. I vaguely remember this movie being shown sa probinsya namin noong maliit pa ako. Libreng sine sa plaza ng bayan kasi kandidato yata siya noon. May part 2 pa yata ito eh. :)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #816 on: Dec 27, 2005 at 06:18 PM »
Finally, KARNAL & CAIN AT ABEL on dvd.  8)

Some thoughts on KARNAL. If you edit the narration of the late Charito Solis, I don't know if the movie can stand on its own. The narration is one of the shining moments in the movie. Add the supernatural elements and great performances by the cast headed by Vic Silayan, Abaya scored another breakthrough in her filmography.

« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2005 at 06:23 PM by keating »

Offline marj

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #817 on: Dec 28, 2005 at 01:22 AM »
PINAGBUKLOD NG LANGIT is the sequel to IGINUHIT NG TADHANA.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #818 on: Dec 28, 2005 at 02:31 PM »
Not a big fan of Karnal. I agree that Solis' narration is the best thing in the picture, but the picture itself...eh.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #819 on: Jan 02, 2006 at 10:24 AM »
Can someone, anyone, please explain to me why whenever there's an office scene in Filipino movies it almost alwas has to be in a friggin advertising agency with an ongoing storyboard presentation!!?  >:(
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2006 at 10:26 AM by RMN »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #820 on: Jan 02, 2006 at 03:28 PM »
Oh, so ABS-CBN, which operates the only real film archive in the country, has acquired the film library of LVN Pictures, consisting of some 100 titles. Whilst this is surely a positive development—it would assure that the films will be properly preserved and archived for coming generations to enjoy—the main drawback is that the they will be made available solely on Cinema One, which means that if you’re not hooked-up to Sky/Home Cable or is not a cable subscriber such as myself, then you’re out of luck. One can only wish they could be released fully on DVD; though Mike de Leon has already given out some  “test” copies to friends. (but that is another story)

Should I be calling 631-0000 now?  ;D

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 477
« Reply #821 on: Jan 02, 2006 at 08:10 PM »
Can someone, anyone, please explain to me why whenever there's an office scene in Filipino movies it almost alwas has to be in a friggin advertising agency with an ongoing storyboard presentation!!?  >:(
this is so true! parang wala nang ibang trabaho sa pinas kungdi yun! maybe because it's the job most writers are familiar with (naglalagare as copy writers?) or maybe because it's the easiest to show on the screen as a sosi job.
Right away, i can name 3 movies: Bridal shower(all 3 leads work in an agency), blue moon (dennis trillo) and juday will be an ad exec or something in her piolo team up.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #822 on: Jan 02, 2006 at 10:37 PM »
Aga also worked in an ad agency in Sana Maulit Muli... i'm not quite sure about this one but didn't Vilma work in  the same field in Pahiram Ng Isang Umaga? ( i haven't seen the film in years)
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2006 at 10:37 PM by Jojo Devera »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #823 on: Jan 03, 2006 at 10:43 AM »
Aga also worked in an ad agency in Sana Maulit Muli... i'm not quite sure about this one but didn't Vilma work in  the same field in Pahiram Ng Isang Umaga? ( i haven't seen the film in years)

Yes! Other examples:

--Sharon Cuneta in Ngayon at Kailanman (remember the scene where Sharon is giving a presentation and Cherie Gil, the owner of the agency, humiliates her infront of everyone by dissing her concept for a detergent ad and stomping on her storyboard?) Sharon Cuneta in Madrasata
--Maricel Soriano in Separada; she appeared in another film where she plays a creative director of an ad agency.
--Richard Gomez has also played the role an advertising guy; including, I think, Hanggang Kailan Kita Mamahalin with Lorna Tolentino.
--In Diliryo, they were shooting a tvc in the first part.

Ang dami pang iba diyan. But before ad agencies became the office setting of choice, real-estate companies muna.  ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2006 at 10:47 AM by RMN »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #824 on: Jan 03, 2006 at 10:53 AM »
Irma Adlawan plays an ad executive in Ellen Ongkeko-Marfil's Mga Pusang Gala... hehe

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #825 on: Jan 03, 2006 at 12:32 PM »
It's the industry one where they earn their bread-and-butter (filmmaking is too rare and pays too little, comparatively), and it's so very close to filmmaking. Practically everyone in the industry works in TV, and for ad agencies at one time or the other; that's how Raymond Red gets his living, and how most filmmakers nowadays get their start.

Problem is that scriptwriters don't seem to take the effort to research other jobs; they just take what they know already, which is the ad campaign, the pitch towards corporate sponsors, onset struggles and infighting, etc. One thing you can count from, say Mads Lacuesta is a thorough knowledge of corporate culture (he's not just an award winning scriptwiter but a bank vice president); you saw that in his Working Girls. And Pete Lacaba I know researches exhaustively before writing his scripts. Mario O'Hara too. But they're rarities in an all too homogenized field.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #826 on: Jan 03, 2006 at 04:23 PM »
Oh, so ABS-CBN, which operates the only real film archive in the country, has acquired the film library of LVN Pictures, consisting of some 100 titles. Whilst this is surely a positive development—it would assure that the films will be properly preserved and archived for coming generations to enjoy—the main drawback is that the they will be made available solely on Cinema One, which means that if you’re not hooked-up to Sky/Home Cable or is not a cable subscriber such as myself, then you’re out of luck. One can only wish they could be released fully on DVD; though Mike de Leon has already given out some  “test” copies to friends. (but that is another story)

I've been telling my wife that Dos is sitting on a potential gold mine but the powers that be are iffy about releasing DVDs of those classics because of the alleged poor prospects for profit. According to them, there is no strong market in the Philippines for these types of DVD releases. Apparently, these people don't go to PinoyDVD.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #827 on: Jan 03, 2006 at 06:17 PM »
Since the four ECP films (Oro, Plata, Mata, Himala, Soltero, Misteryo sa Tuwa) are now on ABS-CBN's library, I'm keeping my fingers cross that they finally release it on dvd.
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2006 at 06:19 PM by keating »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #828 on: Jan 03, 2006 at 06:30 PM »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #829 on: Jan 03, 2006 at 06:35 PM »
Here you go, keating...

http://twistedbyjessicazafra.blogspot.com/

Thanks, oggs.

Finally, I met her three cats.  ;D

« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2006 at 06:40 PM by keating »

Offline renato

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #830 on: Jan 03, 2006 at 07:51 PM »

Yeah, I saw the widescreen version of Biyaya ng Lupa on Cinema One about a couple of weeks ago. Beautiful print. I hope I get to see Anak Dalita soon.

Also, I've been trying to catch Brocka's Maynila on Cinema One the past year but they never show it anymore. Does it mean that it's gonna be released on DVD soon?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #831 on: Jan 04, 2006 at 08:24 AM »
Not a big fan of Karnal. I agree that Solis' narration is the best thing in the picture, but the picture itself...eh.

Abaya should go back to feminist movies, KARNAL is still much better than JOSE RIZAL.

Noel, any thoughts on her first feature TANIKALA? Was it classic or a crap?
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2006 at 08:28 AM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #832 on: Jan 04, 2006 at 08:29 AM »
Haven't seen it. Is that the one reportedly so bad she refuses to have it included in her resume? I may be misremembering.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #833 on: Jan 04, 2006 at 08:34 AM »
She remember fondly her first feature mainly because of the cast, really impressive....Susan Roces, Eddie Garcia & the late Rita Gomez. But she said in an interview that she doesn't know yet her audience when the movie was released.

I don't think she hates it, man. Her husband was supposed to direct it but ended up producing the movie. It was a komiks material during that time written by Pablo S. Gomez.

I'm dying to see it and curious on what movie you are talking about. Maybe SENSUAL or BOYSTOWN?
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2006 at 08:36 AM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #834 on: Jan 04, 2006 at 12:21 PM »
Naw. I suspect it's some other director's first film.
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2006 at 12:22 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #835 on: Jan 04, 2006 at 12:30 PM »
I remember Joey Reyes for hating so much REGAL SHOCKER.   ;D His first directorial debut. Maybe we can start another thread about that.
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2006 at 12:51 PM by keating »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #836 on: Jan 05, 2006 at 06:04 PM »
May I know who  designs the god awful posters/tarps of Star Cinema as of late? I'm sure they have some sort of advertising/promotions department there. But who conceptualizes and, more importantly, actually approves them?
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2006 at 06:07 PM by RMN »

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #837 on: Jan 12, 2006 at 11:41 PM »

FYI, just saw Don't Give Up On Us.  Judy Ann plays a big shot in an ad agency and yes, there's a scene with a guy doing a storyboard presentation  ;D

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #838 on: Jan 19, 2006 at 10:39 AM »
Salome - Laurice Guillen

I finally saw Laurice Guillen's hailed film Salome and I must say that I'm pretty impressed with it. Salome is about the titular barrio girl (played with much versatility by a young Gina Alajar) who is married to a domineering man named Macario (Johnny Delgado). The film starts quite wonderfully with a pleasant montage of an early morning in a rural town, with roosters crowing, the bright sun glaring, and the waves steadily blanketing the glistening beach. Then comes Salome, dressed in white stained with red blood, running and screeching for help, finally saying that he has killed a man. The man (Dennis Roldan) is a mining engineer from Manila who finds himself drawn to Salome. Guillen and her screenwriter Ricardo Lee basically unravels Salome's story through a series of flashbacks of the man's murder. Some have claimed that Salome is a Filipino version of Akira Kurosawa's Rashomon and they are probably right as Guillen and Lee follows the same style. Yet while Kurosawa was interested in the multi-faceted aspect of truth, Guillen is more interested in the powerplay of the genders. Guillen's films have been described as feminist in spirit and Salome, while still having the typical Filipino plot movements that mostly involve showing females at their weakest (rape scenes or wife-beating scenes), it presents the central female character as a chameleon of sorts, ready to use, to attack, to even distort the truth, to maintain that de facto seat of power men consciously and mistakenly refer to as a weakness. Yet if such is a weakness, then why do men swoon and go insane with lust like the man from Manila who ends his life during that erstwhile affair. If such is a weakness, then why do men give everything and still beg and plea for repentance as the character of Macario does when societal justice fails to repair the wounds of an already scarred marriage. Salome is not interested with truth, as we can see the courts has settled that for us yet the film does not end where the court has determined Salome's criminal liability. The film is more of an examination of a woman's power to drive men crazy and down to their knees with just a tinge of innocence coupled with the attractive curves of their bodies. The same power that drove the residents of that seaside barrio away from the beach where the mythical mermaids dwell yet incessantly lures the village idiot back to wait for nothing but sure death. ****1/2/*****

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #839 on: Jan 19, 2006 at 10:52 AM »
May I know who  designs the god awful posters/tarps of Star Cinema as of late? I'm sure they have some sort of advertising/promotions department there. But who conceptualizes and, more importantly, actually approves them?

Is Vic Delotavo still active in designing movie posters? His artwork are awesome. Classic examples are posters from VIRGIN FOREST, SCORPIO NIGHTS & ALAPAAP.
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2006 at 10:54 AM by keating »