Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 500487 times)

Offline rse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #1020 on: May 16, 2006 at 11:35 PM »
Ina, Kapatid, Anak
Lino Brocka

I bought the DVD from CineFilipino.  The transfer for its age is quite good.  The major plus is that it’s in widescreen and it has English subtitles.  The audio is not as good so I would recommend it that you set the subtitles on when you watch the movie.

I haven’t seen this movie before I don’t know much about it.  What can I say?  This I think is Brocka’s most subtle and sustained movie.  The acting is topnotch.  It captured the “probinsiya” look so vividly.  The whole setting looks so real and raw.  The house itself is beautiful.  The people living in the first floor of the house kinda reminded me of Insiang.  And it looks like they’ve been played by the same group of actors.

A great great movie!

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #1021 on: May 18, 2006 at 03:27 PM »
New article out on Criticine, an online magazine specializing in Southeast Asian cinema:

Uhaw na Pag-ibig (Thirst for Love, 1983) Mario O'Hara

Excerpt:

I watched Mario O'Hara's "Uhaw na Pag-ibig" (Thirst for Love, 1983) expecting a mediocre production—no awards, no admiring words from anyone—and for the first thirty minutes or so it pretty much confirmed my suspicions. It's your run-of-the-mill, fallen-woman story where Lala (Claudia Zobel) fights with her mother (Perla Bautista), gets pregnant by her boyfriend (Patrick de La Rosa), plans to elope with said boyfriend (who is stabbed while waiting in an alley), and eventually runs away from home.

Matters become more interesting once she leaves. She hooks up with Bong (Lito Pimentel) who gives her a dancing gig in a nightclub, then asks her to “entertain” a select clientele of men to the tune of two thousand pesos each (roughly 250, early '80s U.S. dollars). Bong's pimping is just one of his sidelines; there's the suggestion that he's also a drug-smuggler, and when one of his men bursts into his bedroom with a bullet wound in the shoulder and a police officer not far behind, Bong handles the situation with such cool ruthlessness (O'Hara's clean staging and editing of the action reminds you of Sam Fuller, or Raoul Walsh) that you suck your breath in dismay: this guy is bad news, and too d**ned smart to beat easily.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006 at 03:27 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1022 on: May 21, 2006 at 05:52 PM »
Jaguar
Lino Brocka

This is the first time I’ve seen this movie.  It’s very similar in feel to Kapit sa Patalim, although I think that Kapit flows better than this movie.   The third act of the film feels a bit disjointed.  But still this movie has the trademark Brocka urgency and rawness.
The chase seen on the Smokey Mountain is one of Brocka’s most vivid cinema.
Another plus is that Amy Austria looks so hot in this movie. 

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1023 on: May 21, 2006 at 06:06 PM »
Jaguar has a beautifully structured story, one of Pete Lacaba's best I think; if Kapit flows better, that's probably because one of the Jarlego brothers (George) was editing. Carding Baltazar is essentially competing against himself with regards to the cinematography between the two films; Jaguar I'd say wins out, if only because the setting--Smokey Mountain--is so much more dramatic. I agree, though, Amy Austria was both artistically and aesthetically brilliant in that film, much more than Gina was in Kapit.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1024 on: May 21, 2006 at 06:35 PM »
Was KAPIT SA PATALIM the last film that Conrado Baltazar collaborated with Brocka in terms of cinematography?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1025 on: May 22, 2006 at 07:11 AM »
Some things I wrote about Ang Alamat ni Julian Makabayan:

Celso Ad. Castillo’s Ang Alamat Ni Julian Makabayan (1979) is barely coherent—the 16 mm print exhibited at the festival featured a burbling soundtrack, fade-to-pink colors, and enough skips to please the heart of any eight-year-old girl playing jump rope.  Yet somehow this film—with its faded colors and indecipherable dialogue—is great. 

Ad. Castillo uses a mythmaking technique—shooting interviews where different people talk about Julian Makabayan—that Warren Beatty uses later for his John Reed character in Reds (though if you laid any five minutes of either film side by side, it’s hard not to prefer Ad. Castillo’s fevered imagery to Beatty’s good-mannered filmmaking).  He takes views and vistas of provincial rice paddies and transforms them (the way John Ford transformed Death Valley) into a magical, larger-than-life landscape.  Watching this with Ad. Castillo’s other masterpiece (Pagputi Ng Uwak, Pag-itim Ng Tagak, 1978) reminds you—for the umpteenth time, it being all too easy to forget—that Ad Castillo is one of a handful of great filmmakers (besides Brocka, Bernal, and O’Hara) who worked during the second Golden Age of Philippine Cinema. 

And some things I wrote about Ina, Kapatid, Anak:

Lino Brocka’s Ina, Kapatid, Anak (1979) shouldn’t work half as well as Portrait (of an Artist as Filipino).  The script, by Mel Chionglo, deals with cruder, less sophisticated emotions than does Joaquin’s story;  yet this melodramatic potboiler has more unruly life in it—no small thanks to the terrific cast, which includes the great Lolita Rodriguez as the adopted child returning from abroad;  the late Charito Solis as her desperately unloved stepsister;  and Rio Locsin as Solis’ ripe and luscious young daughter.

There is a point in the film—Locsin is caught trying to run away with a carnival man, who is beaten—when Lino pauses to peer into her face.  Her expression is at once enlightening and enigmatic:  you see the horror with which she reacts to the quick and savage beating;  you see her realization that she has been fooled by this man, and her menfolk are only acting in her interest.  You see that this is her first true moment as an adult human being—living in a world where nothing is clear, nothing is fair, and nothing will ever feel as innocent, ever again.  It’s moments like this that lift Brocka’s films, even his most melodramatic hackwork, to the level of art.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006 at 07:13 AM by Noel_Vera »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1026 on: May 23, 2006 at 01:27 AM »
Merika
Gil Portes

I must admit that I really don’t like Gil Portes’ style (or lack) of directing.  His movies are just too bland and pedestrian for my taste.

I think Merika is great not because of him but because of the writers and of the actors.
It’s Nora’s movie and I think her great acting carried the whole film.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1027 on: May 23, 2006 at 01:52 AM »
Himala Revisited
Ishmael Bernal

I managed to get a hold of an uncut copy of the film.  I must say that the Cinema One version that I’ve seen previously contains only very minor cuts, noticeably a quick frontal nudity of the town whore and some extended violence (one that I’ve noticed is the beating of the guy who shot Elsa was a bit more graphic).  Aside from that it’s more or less the same as the Cinema One version.

What can I say?  Manila by Night might be Bernal’s best movie but, this is my favorite Bernal.   The movie is almost perfect: great acting, great direction and some great writing.  The production design is also top-notch.  Cupang looks inhabited and not constructed.

The only thing that makes me cringe while watching it is the discussion by Elsa and the filmmaker (my least favorite character in the movie) about art and miracles, etc. near the end of the movie --but I can forgive Bernal for his few indulgences.

Watching this movie again makes me appreciate more Nora’s restrained acting and of course who will forget the iconic climactic monologue.  The crowd scenes I think remain unmatched in Philippine cinema.

This film is no small miracle - one of Philippine cinemas bests.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006 at 01:56 AM by rse »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1028 on: May 23, 2006 at 10:37 AM »
I like it too, rse, and a lot more, apparently, than the Manunuris ever did.

But why did you think the filmmaker just kept filming (SPOILERS) while Elsa was being raped? Always wondered about that and never got a satisfactory answer.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1029 on: May 24, 2006 at 02:44 AM »
I like it too, rse, and a lot more, apparently, than the Manunuris ever did.

But why did you think the filmmaker just kept filming (SPOILERS) while Elsa was being raped? Always wondered about that and never got a satisfactory answer.

I have a little problem with it because it’s not very logical.

I’ve just convinced myself that he's that desperate to get a scoop that he will stoop to that level.  Actually what I hate mostly about it is the fact that he actually is contemplating to show the film to the public.  I know that it's a proof that the miracle might be a hoax but filming a crime while it's happening is a crime itself isn’t it?  Does that make him an accomplice?  I don’t know that legal implications of it.

Actually his actual camera (the machine) distracts me as well, he he he.  It is way too old (I think) for the era.

As I’ve mentioned the filmmaker character is not my favorite character in the movie.

But I think Bernal used it more like a storytelling device.  Not a very wise decision on his part but the movie has a lot going for it that I can easily forgive this minor mishap.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006 at 02:46 AM by rse »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1030 on: May 24, 2006 at 04:24 AM »
I keep thinking Lee must have concentrated on polishing his film too much to remember to step back and think over this moment, as in "Wait a minute..."

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1031 on: May 24, 2006 at 12:28 PM »
The ending was wow.......what was that?! Bernal was able to convey to the people the power of cinema. It was shot in military strategy but with outtakes, of course.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1032 on: May 24, 2006 at 01:13 PM »
The ending was a bit like Altman's Nashville. It cleared the stage, so to speak.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1033 on: May 25, 2006 at 12:47 AM »
Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang
Lino Brocka

An early Brocka -- yet one of his bests I think.
It’s spot-on showing the small town life, especially of the “manang”s.
I think it’s better than Peter Bogdanovich’s The Last Picture Show.

Lolita and Mario O Hara are both EXCELLENT.  Their story adds some fable-like quality to the film.

Christopher’s character is more of an observer. He’s acting is typical of his old performances – simple but never boring.  I prefer it to his acting-style now.

The only character here that I can’t really sympathize is Eddie Garcia’s.
It’s way too one-dimensional for my taste.

Minor gripes:
1.  The Kuala-Cesar back story is a bit confusing.
2.  Notice when the baby is shown near the ending.  It is way too clean - all wrapped up and all.  No sign of the umbilical cord or blood anywhere, he he he.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006 at 12:48 AM by rse »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1034 on: May 25, 2006 at 03:28 PM »
I thought Lolita and Mario were the real movie myself.

I have my thoughts about both Eddie and Laurice's characters, put in this article:

Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1035 on: May 25, 2006 at 04:16 PM »
I was looking at Raya Martin's Indo Nacional, being quite impressed. Anyone seen this? What are your impressions?

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1036 on: Jun 05, 2006 at 05:07 PM »
Kailan Tama Ang Mali
Celso Ad Castillo

This looks like the Kid's bid to a "Manila" movie. It has the same multi-character set-up of Manila By Night.  The only difference is that he stumbles keeping the narrative together. Watching this movie makes me admire Bernal's achievement in Manila By Night more.

Bakit Bughaw Ang Langit
Mario O Hara

I think I finally found my favorite O Hara movie.  This movie is just wonderful.
Perfect performance by Nora and Anita Linda!

I think Scorpio Nights tried that “cramped apartment complex” look but failed in comparison.  In Bughaw O Hara made it look like those people actually live there, in Gallaga’s movie, it looks like a movie set.  It doesn’t feel organic.  That setup also reminded me of Hitchcock’s Rear Window – as I’ve mentioned above O Hara’s set-up fares better because it just looks and feels real.

The print that I saw was in bad condition.  Some of the night scenes you can barely see what’s happening on the screen. I can only hope that this is released on DVD sometime in the future.

One minor complaint:  They could have easily removed the unnecessary the serial rapist subplot.

Offline commentary

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1037 on: Jun 05, 2006 at 05:21 PM »
I was looking at Raya Martin's Indo Nacional, being quite impressed. Anyone seen this? What are your impressions?

It's still awaiting it's Philippine premiere, Noel, which will take place a week today-- Monday, June 12, 730pm, Shangri-La. 50 pesos entrance. The screening is sponsored by the French Embassy and is part of the French Spring Festival, as Raya has just returned from his Cannes Cinefondation filmmaking residency in Paris, France. Screening is open to the public, so everyone on the board is encouraged to attend. It will feature a live piano score.

Highly recommended.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1038 on: Jun 06, 2006 at 02:51 PM »
Bakit Bughaw is a lot of people's favorite O'Hara.

My article on Bakit Bughaw ang Langit?
« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2006 at 02:52 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1039 on: Jun 08, 2006 at 07:22 PM »
As a cultural and social venue for the Asian American community and beyond, the ImaginAsian sponsors special events, such as festivals, performances, concerts, and other cultural events, such as live satellite-fed cricket matches.

Thursday, Jun. 15 2006 Filipino Film & Arts Festival
June 9 - 15 2006
All tickets are $10

Friday, June 9
1pm: Ina Kapatid Anak
3:30: Slow Jam King
6:00: Maximo Oliveros (Q&A w/ producer Raymond Lee)
8-8:30 Reception for Slow Jam King
8:30: Slow Jam King
10:30: Q&A and Live concert performance by Steve Mallorca (dir. Slow Jam King) & his band

Saturday, June 10
12noon: Hahamakin Lahat
2:30: Slow Jam King (Q&A w/ director Steve Mallorca)
5pm: Words & Images
7:00: Riles (Q&A w/ director Ditsi Carolino)
8:30: Slow Jam King (Q&A w/ director Steve Mallorca)
11:00: Sa Aking Pagkagising Sa Aking Kamulatan

Sunday, June 11
12noon: Slow Jam King
2:30: Ina Kapatid Anak
5pm: Bunso (Q&A w/ director Ditsi Carolino)
6:30: Sarung Banggi (Q&A w/ producer Raymond Lee)

Monday, June 12
2:30 Slow Jam King
5:00 Pinoy Blonde
7:00 Film Forum/Workshop (sold as part of 8:00PM screening of Slow Jam King)
8:00 Slow Jam King
10:30: Manila by Night

Tuesday, June 13
2:30: Slow Jam King
5:00: Hahamakin Lahat
7:30: Nasaan si Francis? ("Problema" Premiere Short Dir: Luis Pedron of Fanclubx.com)
10:00: Slow Jam King

Wednesday, June 14
5:00 Pinoy Blonde
7:00 Riles (Q&A w/ director Ditsi Carolino)

Thursday, June 15
5:00 Nasaan Si Francis?
7:00: Karnal (Q&A w/ production designer Fiel Zabat)
9:30: Slow Jam King

Sponsors:
The ImaginAsian
Unico Entertainment
The Kaya Collective
Cinefilipino.com
FanclubX.com
Carouselpinoy.com
Johnny Air Cargo
Perlas Ng Silangan Restaurant

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1040 on: Jun 09, 2006 at 08:11 PM »
Thanks for the info about CineFilipino! I bought a copy of Relasyon from Astro GH and didn't realize that the company has transferred other films to DVD. I'll certainly buy the other titles.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1041 on: Jun 10, 2006 at 02:31 PM »
Some interesting comments on Manila By Night from this guy on a_film_by:

Posted by: "Michael E. Kerpan, Jr." [email protected]   michaelkerpan
Fri Jun 9, 2006 7:05 am (PST)
--- In [email protected], "Noel Vera" <noelbotevera@...> wrote:

> Dan, that's a damned shame--Manila By Night is his masterpiece, and
> one of the great films of Philippine cinema. I think the print they
> have should be excellent too.

If there is an excellent restored print in existence, it doesn't SEEM
to have been used for the DVD!

The film itself was impressive -- but might be a bit too "over the
top" for my generally somber tastes. ;~}

I had a hard time trying to think what this may have been influenced
by. the closest match I came up was Ann Hui's "Story of Woo Viet"
(which came out a year later -- and was partly set in the
Philippines). Could late 70s avant-garde HK films have been an influence?

MEK

and:

I just got (and watched) my DVD of "Manila at Night". I don't know
what to think of this yet.

Was this aimed at the standard (non-arty?) audience? It seems far too
chaotic and elliptical to ever have worked for an "ordinary" audience
in the US.

The DVD claims that the film was restored -- if so, I hate to think
how bad of shape it was in prior to restoration. Visually (and
sonically) this fairly recent film is quite deteriorated.

MEK

Which has me wondering--wasn't Manila By Night a moneymaker, or at least a modest hit? I never got the impression that it flopped. Does this suggest that Filipino audiences are more flexible, perhaps?

Plus I think we talked about the DVD before, but I can't remember. It wasn't made from the good print?

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1042 on: Jun 22, 2006 at 12:08 AM »
Looking for classic Pinoy movies?

I've just found out that some films produced by ECP can now be viewed online (or downloaded) as part of the subscription to ABS-CBN Now! website.
Be warned that the films are DRM'ed so they will stop playing once you're subscription expires.
http://now.abs-cbn.com/index-addon.aspx?mctl=3

Also Kabayan Central now sells most of their B&W Filipino movies on DVD's:
http://www.kabayancentral.com/vvideo.html

Offline yamota

• Collector
  • Digging deeper
  • Liked:
« Reply #1043 on: Jun 22, 2006 at 01:07 AM »
I'd love to buy one of those LVN movies on DVD from kabayan central, but gad, at $27.99 each, just a simple DVD copy with no subtitles or special features...it's a little too much for me :(

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1044 on: Jul 05, 2006 at 02:22 AM »
Hey, I need to fill out this survey here--anyone know the answers to any of the questions? Ticket prices maybe?

Population (in 2005):
Currency:
Equivalent to US Dollar:
No of Feature Films produced in 2005:
No of Feature Films released in 2005:
Box-Office Grossing in 2005 (in US Dollars):
Percentage Share of National Cinema:
Top-ten Films films in 2005:
Average rate of a theater ticket in US Dollars:
Number of theater screens in 2005:
Number of Theater Seats in 2005 (if data is available):
Address & contact numbers of State film bodies:
Address & contact numbers of film production companies (Three main entries would be OK):
Address & contact numbers of film distribution companies (Three main entries would be OK):
Address & contact numbers of TV channels:
Titles, dates and contacts of all international film festivals:
[/b]

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1045 on: Jul 11, 2006 at 07:55 PM »
Hinugot sa Langit - Ishmael Bernal

Ishmael Bernal's Hinugot sa Langit (Snatched from Heaven) is a very challenging film to watch. Right from the start, the audience is introduced with scenarios of complex problems pressed after other problems. The characters are drafted from your typical melodrama stereotypes. The center of the drama is Carmen Castro (Maricel Soriano), the impossibly patient victim of the screenwriter-created dilemmas. Revolving around Carmen's personage and dilemmas are other characters that are seemingly cut from traditionally established cinematic stereotypes. There is Stella (Amy Austria), the liberated and seemingly modern cousin of Carmen. Juling (Charito Solis) is Carmen's overly religious landlady, an avid member of a charismatic prayer group. Jerry (Al Tantay) and Bobby (Rowell Santiago), are the two men in Carmen's life, the former, an irresponsible playboy-gambler, the latter, a traditionalist who is stuck to his life plans. Hinugot sa Langit, in paper, sounds like your typical Filipino melodrama where histrionics and impossible scenarios abound, but fantastically, the film is far from that. Beautifully restrained, simple, and hardhitting, Hinugot sa Langit tackles a controversial topic with an uncontroversial control and a humanistic approach to a central character that has all the problems of the world to withstand.

During the first few minutes of the film, we are informed that Carmen is pregnant. Her cousin Stella scoffs and recommends abortion. The father of the child, Jerry, also recommends abortion. Her landlady, who is busy juggling her religious aims and her legal quarrel with the poor families illegally living in her land, suggests that she keeps the baby as killing it would be a sin against God. Carmen sees signs that would seemingly suggest an answer to her difficult decision. Her poor neighbors struggle for money to feed their children. She sees a physically malformed child vending goods outside the church. She loses her job at a financing company due to the struggling economy during that time.

Hinugot sa Langit may be branded as preachy and anti-abortion but in reality, while its focus is that controversial issue, Ishmael Bernal and screenwriter Amado Lacuesta, populates the film with sidestories that suggest a latter more pressing issue, which is societal hypocrisy. It just so happens that abortion is the most telling of issues. The Philippines being a prominently Catholic nation declares abortion as criminally and morally wrong yet funnily, the practice is unwrittenly accepted among women who are time-pressed with a decision. Such is the scenario here, Carmen is surrounded by suggestions of what to do but is left upon her own faculties in deciding. Each suggestion is clouded by a tinge of doubt. The characters surrounding her aren't naturally sure of their own lives. Stella is outwardly happy and wild but inwardly is insecure and lonely. Juling carries within herself an unerasable guilt which she tries to forget through her religious practices, forgetting that the world has deeper problems than her past. All the events and the characters have unnatural and seemingly impossible roots, but as a screenplay, as a dramatic film, Hinugot sa Langit works.

Thematically sound, Hinugot sa Langit also boasts of technical mastery. The music is sparse and controlled. Bernal foregoes the overorchestrated notion of what a drama should be and instead relies on his visuals and his actors talents to draw out emotions. The cinematography is simple but there are some very wonderful shots where the lighting, the blocking of the actors, and the framing, contribute to an impressive addition to Bernal's atmosphere of confusion and cynicism for this unsure Filipino society. The acting is very impressive. Maricel Soriano is wonderfully restrained, letting go of her usual histrionics for the more difficult style of acting that comes from what is felt within than what is outwardly presented. Charito Solis is a wonderful presence, and so is Amy Austria, who singlehandedly gives the film a lighthearted humor. ****1/2/*****

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1046 on: Jul 12, 2006 at 07:57 AM »
Kinda wondering about this movie: forgot the title, didn't see its entirety though some snippets of the plot clings to memory. I think Rio Locsin stars in it, as well as Edu Manzano (or was it?). One particular scene that clung to my head was Rio Locsin in a bus after a fight or something and was 'felt up' by this some guy (the face of the actor is familiar, though I can't put names to faces). One other scene was a young Lala Montelibano as a sampaguita vendor, saved from a pack of car-riding bagets by a policeman; then she was raped by the same one who saved her and she ended up as a prostitute in the end.

I'm not really certain if the title of this flick is Kailan Tama ang Mali or something else?

Offline Qoheleth

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1047 on: Jul 12, 2006 at 11:34 AM »
^^Sir, based on the actors listed, the title seems to be Kailan Tama ang Mali.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0370824/
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2006 at 11:37 AM by Qoheleth »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1048 on: Jul 13, 2006 at 09:39 AM »
Jologs - Gilbert Perez

The screenplay for Filipino hit film Jologs won first prize in a contest initiated by film producer Star Cinema. The award-winning screenplay was supposedly darker, more biting than what we have now. Also, the screenplay was supposed to be directed by Jeffrey Jeturian, one of the country's leading directors. But like almost everything that lands on the laps of ABS-CBN and its film producing arm Star Cinema, it's bound to be rewrapped, repackaged, regurgitated faux-Hollywood style to please the millions of eager fans who'd be willing to let go of their hard-earned peso to get a glimpse of not one, but a whole stable, of these manufactured stars strut it out in the big screen. Luckily, the factory-manufactured film is light enough to enjoy, entertaining enough to withstand, and pretty enough to look at.

The film is a mixture of different storylines interweaving in a neighborhood coffeeshop. Literary misgivings abound this youth-oriented tale and despite the fact of it being labeled as fashionably original, nothing is really new with this teen flick. Ruben (John Prats) works as a cashier for the coffee shop, while struggling to find money for his schooling, money that he has to beg from his estranged rich father leading him to plan a small-time heist. Mando (Diether Ocampo) is the security guard for the cafe, who is also the understanding boyfriend to a japayuki (a dancer who works in Japan) who would leave both Mando and her infant to work abroad. Cher (Baron Geisler) is a transvestite who is chanced upon by mean and sinister cafe-owner Trigger (OneMig Bondoc). Iza (Assunta de Rossi) is loud and sexy and has a secret crush on super-religious student, who surprisingly, takes the independent woman for a date. Kulas (Vhong Navarro) is in love with taekwondo fighter and is ready with an engagement ring, but is unready for rejection. Lastly, Dino (Patrick Garcia) is former seminarian who is about to engage in premarital sex with his longtime girlfriend Faith (Jodie Sta. Maria).

There are too many plots in this youth-oriented flick - too many plots with very little to say. Screenwriter Ned Trespeces' solution to that is to replicate the oft-used Hollywood conceit, the interweaving storylines. The problem here is that despite the fact that these storylines and characters connect, the focal point is pretty much pointless. Why a cafe? Why an explosion? Like a true Filipino film, such had to be explained and in a revalatory scene leading to the expected climax, Trespeces does. It is that lack of confidence with his work or his acknowledgement that he has very little to say that keeps Jologs from standing out. The little stories are your typical angst-driven drivels that are just magnified a dozen times by witty filmmaking and overuse of visual gimmickry. True, there are very interesting moments in the film, but in a film that has to spend some more time with a multitude of other storylines, a few interesting moments will not make a truly good Filipino film. The filmmaking mimmicks of P. T. Anderson rather than the true master of ensemble filmmaking Robert Altman. The result stinks of gimmickry than real filmmaking. Replicating Anderson turned the film a dozen notches below Anderson's Magnolia, a far more liberating and adventurous piece of work. Funnily, Perez decided to end Jologs with a clear borrowing of Magnolia's song number - only this time the result is cheese and schmultz, instead of hairraising wonderment.

The filmmaking is very much standard but it's nice to imagine how Jeffrey Jeturian would handle the screenplay. He'd probably defend the original screenplay and keep Star Cinema's sugarcoating paws from morphing it off of its relevance. Jeturian's finest traits as a filmmaker is his utmost respect for his screenwriters. His opus Minsan Pa bore screenwriter Armando Lao's name above its title rather than the traditional way of labeling it as a director's work. If Jeturian did get a hold of this script (and yes, Jeturian is good with teens and non-actors), it would've probably been more relevant instead of being your everyday teen angst film the Philippines hasn't gotten rid of since the 80's.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1049 on: Jul 13, 2006 at 07:22 PM »
Joey Reyes' PARE KO is one of the intelligent teen flicks that came out during the 90's, oggs.

And if we go back to the 80's there are many to mention.........BATCH 81, THE GRADUATES, BAGETS.

Even Gosiengfiao's UNDERAGE is worth to revisit. 
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2006 at 07:31 PM by keating »