Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 502352 times)

Offline butsoy

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #1170 on: Jan 13, 2007 at 10:24 PM »
CineFilipino DVD Release of Manila By Night
Ishmael Bernal

(This is a review of the DVD release, not the movie since we all know how great this movie is anyway.)

I’ve seen Manila By Night before on a taped TV broadcast from Cinema One.  When I heard that it will finally be released on DVD I got very excited. Wow! Finally they’re releasing (real) Filipino classics on DVD!  Kudos to CineFilipino for doing this. I can’t wait for it to become the Philippine version of Criterion Selection.

Anyway back to the DVD.  The DVD contains I think the most complete version of the movie.  All the profanity and sex scenes are all intact.  The transfer disappointingly is almost the same quality as the one they show in Cinema One.  I don’t think this has been remastered at all.  It’s in 1.33:1 aspect ratio but I guess it might be its original aspect ratio.  A major plus is the inclusion of English subtitles.  The special features are nothing to talk about:  just upcoming releases and a short text about the movie.

The major thing that disappointed me with this release is the inclusion of a weird ending where there was a voiceover explaining what happened to each of the characters of the movie. It was very lame and cheapens the movie (I guess this is the censored-version of the ending).  While watching it I thought that heck they changed the ending of the movie.  Immediately after this ending, the real ending follows (the same ending they had in Cinema One).  The guys from CineFilipino should have cut that and put in the special feature as an alternate ending.

Yeah. I agree. Pang-comedy yung dating ng voiceover. Sana ginamit na lang nila yung ginagamit na voiceover sa mga Massacre movies ni Carlo J. Caparas... That voice frightens me!  :o

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1171 on: Jan 14, 2007 at 07:10 PM »
Jojo, i saw Lino Brocka's STARDOOM, Tata Esteban's ALAPAAP, Mel Chionglo's PLAYGIRL and mind you it has subs!  :o

Where they screened in festivals abroad?
« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2007 at 07:12 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1172 on: Jan 14, 2007 at 10:32 PM »
Stardoom was part of the Panorama Of Filipino Film Classics at the Nantes International Film Festival in the early 80's while Playgirl was screened at the Toronto Film Festival in 1981. Alapaap was shown to audiences in Hongkong.
« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2007 at 10:33 PM by Jojo Devera »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1173 on: Jan 17, 2007 at 12:46 AM »
I bought a few dvds online.  The first I've seen is Shake, Rattle and Roll 2K5.  It's almost a waste of time except for a watchable third episode.  The first two episodes relied on distracting and not very well-made CGI effects, the third relied mostly on practical effects, lights and shadows, great cinematography and makeup.  Basically the aswangs are just people covered with lots of grease.  It is almost a homage to Gallaga's Manananggal episode in the original movie.  It also echoes Deliverance, even of the Wicker Man.  It's not in anyway perfect but compared to the first two episodes before it, it´s a masterpiece.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1174 on: Jan 23, 2007 at 08:53 AM »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1175 on: Jan 25, 2007 at 01:24 PM »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1176 on: Jan 29, 2007 at 12:10 AM »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #1177 on: Jan 29, 2007 at 09:52 AM »
It's a coldish film, and that monologue about war doesn't seem to connect to anything (what do we have to do witht the Iraq war?). But it's beautifully photographed and hypnotically paced. The INS officer, of course, is the death figure in Seventh Seal.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1178 on: Jan 29, 2007 at 10:58 AM »
It's a coldish film, and that monologue about war doesn't seem to connect to anything (what do we have to do witht the Iraq war?). But it's beautifully photographed and hypnotically paced. The INS officer, of course, is the death figure in Seventh Seal.

I agree. I thought the Seventh Seal scene was lovely; the film felt really theatrical in parts. I had a bit of trouble with all its allusions and symbolisms... felt like it wanted to go the Lynchian way but didn't have the guts to totally throw away narrative coherence. Still good though, I really felt the pain of the Filipino immigrant community.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1179 on: Jan 31, 2007 at 01:12 PM »
A valentine treat for yer all:

Manuel Conde's Pilipino Tradition--No Touch. Showing on Febuary 14 at the IndieCine, Robinsons Galleria.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1180 on: Feb 01, 2007 at 03:51 PM »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1181 on: Feb 05, 2007 at 02:37 PM »
Joel Lamangan remember fondly how the great Lino Brocka helped him when he has no dough during PETA days.

Lino was known for his generosity for his colleagues, so when he bumped with Joel one day borrowing P250.00, with his last money he gave Joel P500.00.

Weeks later, it was Brocka hysterically frantic calling Lamangan over the phone....."Joel kailangan ko ng pera, ako naman ang mapuputulan ng kuryente!"

;D

« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2007 at 02:43 PM by keating »

Offline butsoy

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1182 on: Feb 05, 2007 at 08:18 PM »
Joel Lamangan remember fondly how the great Lino Brocka helped him when he has no dough during PETA days.

Lino was known for his generosity for his colleagues, so when he bumped with Joel one day borrowing P250.00, with his last money he gave Joel P500.00.

Weeks later, it was Brocka hysterically frantic calling Lamangan over the phone....."Joel kailangan ko ng pera, ako naman ang mapuputulan ng kuryente!"

;D

Did Joel Lamangan had a bit role in Brocka's "Macho Dancer"? Parang I saw him there eh.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1183 on: Feb 05, 2007 at 08:22 PM »
Haven't seen it, butsoy. But I know Lamangan is a veteran of Brocka & Bernal films. He was the priest in HIMALA.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1184 on: Feb 08, 2007 at 12:28 PM »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1185 on: Feb 08, 2007 at 06:07 PM »
Elwood Perez must be grinning now from ear to ear if he read that article from Andrew because he was compared to Pasolini.

Andrew must be obsessed with Weng Weng or perhaps our own B-movies.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1186 on: Feb 13, 2007 at 08:50 PM »

HINUGOT SA LANGIT (Ishmael Bernal, 1985)

Its easy to dismissed why this Bernal classic flop at the tills in 1985. Filipino moviegoers are not yet ready to see a movie about abortion being the predominantly Catholic nation. Bernal made movies larger than life (HIMALA, MANILA BY NIGHT, PAGDATING SA DULO). Maricel Soriano's breakthrough performance as Carmen Castro got respect from the critics. Her restrain, subdued characterization as Carmen Castro will always be remembered. Several competent supporting players shine also in this film notably the easy-going Amy Austria who will breakdown in the end, Dante Rivero and the late Charito Solis as the landlady of Soriano.

Ishmael Bernal like his rival Lino Brocka is a brave filmmaker who will always take a risk to show a very sensitive subject matter. If he is still alive, maybe Philippine Cinema will not reach its lowest point.
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2007 at 09:11 PM by keating »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1187 on: Feb 15, 2007 at 03:44 AM »
I also love Hinugot.  Saw a tape from Cinema One a while back.  I hope they release it on dvd soon.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1188 on: Feb 15, 2007 at 03:50 AM »
I saw the Manny Pacquiao movie on DVD.  It's a big-budget film and it shows.  The film is technically excellent.  There are even scenes shot in the US.
It's not bad at all but it's a very conventional and by-the-number biopic.  Jacklyn Jose is so delightful though as Manny's mom.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2007 at 04:29 AM by Noel_Vera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1190 on: Feb 20, 2007 at 08:13 PM »

Tata Esteban's cult classic ALAPAAP.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1191 on: Feb 20, 2007 at 08:14 PM »

Scenes from ALAPAAP.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1192 on: Feb 20, 2007 at 08:15 PM »

More scenes from ALAPAAP.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1193 on: Feb 21, 2007 at 11:51 PM »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1194 on: Feb 22, 2007 at 01:46 PM »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1195 on: Feb 24, 2007 at 01:14 PM »

Mario O'Hara on the set of TATLONG TAONG WALANG DIYOS in Majayjay, Laguna with Bembol Roco, Nora Aunor and Christopher de Leon.
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2007 at 01:18 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1196 on: Feb 25, 2007 at 09:17 PM »
where did you get the picture from the set of Tatlong Taon?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1197 on: Feb 25, 2007 at 09:20 PM »
Got it from my cousin who was an avid Noranian from her book. It was already dusting and the binding was ripped already when we found it yesterday in our bodega.  ;)

BTW, the Blas of Lea Prods have relatives here in our hometown, should get in touch real soon to find out if some of their films still exists including Brocka's SANTIAGO.
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2007 at 09:25 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1198 on: Feb 25, 2007 at 09:31 PM »
it's probably from Ang True Story Ni Guy...

Aling Miling's relatives? hope they have an idea on where prints or copies of their films are

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1199 on: Feb 25, 2007 at 09:34 PM »
Yep, its good thing that RMN reminded me thru text. One of Mrs. Blas' relatives was my classmate in high school.

But I believe most of their prints have been left in that theatre that they owned. It was demolished already ten years ago.