Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 500193 times)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #1440 on: May 20, 2007 at 08:24 PM »
Jojo, Noel, Brocka's 16th death anniversary is on May 22, can you write an article about it?

Offline jdv1229

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1441 on: May 20, 2007 at 08:57 PM »
that's right... after Ate Guy's birthday

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #1442 on: May 21, 2007 at 02:24 PM »
I wouldn't know how many takes it took to get Kris. O'Hara doesn't believe in getting a lot of takes--three or four at most. He's very cost conscious.

Brocka's 16th?  I don't know. Will think about it. Jo, are you doing something?

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1443 on: May 21, 2007 at 04:25 PM »
Anyone here who know where Gigi Duenas might be?  ??? Thanks!

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1444 on: May 21, 2007 at 04:42 PM »
She's probably in the U.S. And I just found out only last year that she was one of the servants who bared in Gallaga's ORO PLATA MATA.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007 at 06:52 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1445 on: May 21, 2007 at 06:30 PM »
someone told me that she's in France...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1446 on: May 21, 2007 at 06:39 PM »
Did she made only two movies? HIMALA and ORO PLATA MATA?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007 at 06:42 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1447 on: May 21, 2007 at 06:42 PM »
as far as i know she only made those two films...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007 at 07:48 PM by Jojo Devera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1448 on: May 21, 2007 at 07:26 PM »

BURGIS (Lino Brocka, 1981)

A monumental flop during its time, one that Brocka accepted to feed his stomach and the result is a mix bag of a teen-angst flick that you can sleep after the opening credits. Gabby Concepcion lives in North Forbes in Makati and personified the typical cono with his mestizo looks, breeding and personality. A college drop-out, he mingles with the middle and lower class in the new university to continue his studies. The differences between the two social class were not fleshed out, we only see Gabby treating his buddies to free lunch by using his credit card, malling and even inviting them to his home. Amy Austria plays the main squeeze of Gabby and Isabel Rivas as the other lass. More interesting to see though are the supporting cast like the late Elvira Manahan as the mother of Gabby, Maya Valdez as one of the teachers and comedienne Louella. Teen-angst are not Brocka's cup of tea, having not experience the real life of being in the upper-class but I'm not maltreating the master filmmaker, Bernal and Gosiengfiao could have infuse more characterization in Juni Locsin's character. But hey, there's still a saving grace in the film. Brocka's veteran cinematographer Conrado Baltazar lensed the film to give it a kinetic and high energy visuals. I was expecting more since the movie was written by Butch Dalisay. Its the life of a cono but it deviates sometimes from the life of being rich, affluent and upper-class.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007 at 08:24 PM by keating »

Offline telonistas

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1449 on: May 21, 2007 at 09:50 PM »

She married a French guy and settled in one of the islands in the Pacific after Edsa Revolution. She also appeared in Apocalypse Now, her face was one of the flash cuts in the Kurtz's assasination sequence. There were stories that she became one of Marlon Brando's girlfriends while shooting in Pagsanjan.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1450 on: May 22, 2007 at 07:08 AM »

BURGIS (Lino Brocka, 1981)

A monumental flop during its time, one that Brocka accepted to feed his stomach and the result is a mix bag of a teen-angst flick that you can sleep after the opening credits. Gabby Concepcion lives in North Forbes in Makati and personified the typical cono with his mestizo looks, breeding and personality. A college drop-out, he mingles with the middle and lower class in the new university to continue his studies. The differences between the two social class were not fleshed out, we only see Gabby treating his buddies to free lunch by using his credit card, malling and even inviting them to his home. Amy Austria plays the main squeeze of Gabby and Isabel Rivas as the other lass. More interesting to see though are the supporting cast like the late Elvira Manahan as the mother of Gabby, Maya Valdez as one of the teachers and comedienne Louella. Teen-angst are not Brocka's cup of tea, having not experience the real life of being in the upper-class but I'm not maltreating the master filmmaker, Bernal and Gosiengfiao could have infuse more characterization in Juni Locsin's character. But hey, there's still a saving grace in the film. Brocka's veteran cinematographer Conrado Baltazar lensed the film to give it a kinetic and high energy visuals. I was expecting more since the movie was written by Butch Dalisay. Its the life of a cono but it deviates sometimes from the life of being rich, affluent and upper-class.

Burgis wasn't really a bad film maybe not great in terms of Brocka standards but still better than your average Filipino film...

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1451 on: May 22, 2007 at 12:18 PM »

To answer my own question, she's in Martinique, Carribean...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1452 on: May 22, 2007 at 05:44 PM »
Burgis wasn't really a bad film maybe not great in terms of Brocka standards but still better than your average Filipino film...

The cliches sometimes are unbelievable, Gabby is supposed to be rich but I haven't seen his battery of servants and his own driver in their mansion. And he is so generous to a fault, conos are not like that. And they speak fluent English in their homes.  ;)

But I like how he interact with the middle-class, his buddies at the university, the close-knit.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007 at 06:04 PM by keating »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1453 on: May 27, 2007 at 08:53 PM »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1454 on: Jun 02, 2007 at 05:28 PM »
KASALANAN BANG SAMBAHIN KA? (Chito Rono, 1990)

Slick, edge of your seat suspense thriller especially before the finale, dabbles in the melodrama genre. Vivian Velez is outstanding as the woman scorned and dumped by Julio Diaz after a one-night stand. Velez characterization is more fleshed out and even better than Glenn Close in FATAL ATTRACTION. The usual thriller cliches are here.....unusual gifts being sent, phone calls at night, stalking. Rono keeps the pacing fast and his cast delivered some of the best moments especially Dawn Zulueta's strong-willed character. But its Vivian who holds the film and still gives you empathy after uttering these words to Angie Ferro...."ako ang ipagdasal ninyo dahil ako ang buhay pa!" You know you are in for a menacing and terrifying ride of your life when you meet this woman. Just two rants, its the most deserted hospital that I've ever seen shot in an old building in Arroceros, Manila and the music is too loud and annoying. If they could have toned down the musical score, the film is perfect for Halloween.
« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2007 at 05:43 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1455 on: Jun 02, 2007 at 05:38 PM »
at times better than Fatal Attraction, also a must see is Joel Lamangan's performance in the movie... he really is a very good actor, too bad i cannot say the same of him as a director..

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1456 on: Jun 02, 2007 at 05:41 PM »
Vivian has two deadly combination in the movie, points of view and body. I love that in a woman! But when obsession follows, that's a different story. Do you know that this film was shot in our old office in Arroceros, Manila?

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1457 on: Jun 02, 2007 at 05:46 PM »
really? Chito Rono is excellent in making suspense thrillers and this film is a perfect example of what he can do with such material.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1458 on: Jun 02, 2007 at 05:51 PM »
The hospital was the old abandoned GSIS bldg. and the shoot-out scene of Vivian, Julio and Dawn was shot in Nawasa bldg., our old office also in Arroceros, Manila. I loved also how Dawn handled the situation in this Rono flick.

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1459 on: Jun 03, 2007 at 02:52 PM »
kapapanuod ko lang ulet ng Batch '81 kanina....MAN, the film starts to haunt me again! Last time Ive seen it is when I was in 1st year, then ngaung bago mag college, pinanuod ko ulet...ewan ko, I just feel so uncomfortable (and Scared!) nung matapos ko ulet yung film. Ganun na ganun nung pinanood ko ito nung 1st year ako...it haunts me for 4 days!

"ALPHA KAPPAAAAA OMEEEEEEEEEEEGAAAAAAAAAAAA!" (song) OMG, it gives me chills!

I don't know, siguro, NEVER ko nang panonoorin ang flick na ito for the 3rd time. But I think it's my FAVORITE FILIPINO FILM OF ALL TIME and also THE BEST.

changed my list:

1) Batch '81
2) Maynila sa mga kuko ng liwanag
3) Himala
4) Hinugot sa Langit
5) Bona
6) Oro Plata Mata
7) Tinimbang ka ngunit kulang
8 ) Manila by Night
9) Mila
10) Ang Pagdadalaga ni Maximo Oliveros

12) Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos
13) Minsa'y isang gamu gamo
14) Insiang
15) Bagets

« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2007 at 02:30 PM by sosy_high »

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1460 on: Jun 03, 2007 at 02:56 PM »
BTW, Batch '81 and Sister Stella L and Oro, Plata, mata will have a remake on ABS-CBN's Sineserye Presents...

There are rumours that John Lloyd Cruz will play the role of Sid Lucero...wala pa sa Sister Stella L and Oro...

I think sa Sister Stella L, ang perfect para sa remake is Maja Salvador (IMHO, she was the best teen actress in this decade)

as of Oro, Plata, mata....parang WALA  ::)

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1461 on: Jun 04, 2007 at 10:29 AM »
Sussane Gonzales??? :D

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1462 on: Jun 04, 2007 at 10:33 AM »
BTW, Batch '81 and Sister Stella L and Oro, Plata, mata will have a remake on ABS-CBN's Sineserye Presents...

There are rumours that John Lloyd Cruz will play the role of Sid Lucero...

Holy !@#$%%!

Who'll direct? this is absurd! :o

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1463 on: Jun 04, 2007 at 10:39 AM »
Holy !@#$%%!

Who'll direct? this is absurd! :o

I don't know...wala pa ata

also, Burlesk Queen papala, starring Rica Peralejo.

jusko, yung "Ungguyan" kaya sa Batch 81, eh isama pa nila sa TV version? I bet girls will scream they're lungs out  ;D

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1464 on: Jun 04, 2007 at 06:15 PM »
Mike de Leon's BATCH 81 is also the favorite Filipino film of Quark Henares and Mark Meily. Peque Gallaga's ORO PLATA MATA also tops on Mark's lists.

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1465 on: Jun 05, 2007 at 11:18 AM »
Sussane Gonzales??? :D

Santi Santillan...hahahaz!

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1466 on: Jun 08, 2007 at 07:57 AM »
Sighted last night at the French Film Festival opening at the Shang Cinema were Tikoy Aguiluz, Gil Portes and Elwood Perez. 

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1467 on: Jun 08, 2007 at 10:58 AM »
Together?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1468 on: Jun 09, 2007 at 06:52 PM »
They were in solo flight. Tikoy was talking to some VIP's from the French Embassy possibly for some films to be screen in this year's CINEMANILA.

What I want to see in one film screening is the three enfant terrible of Philippine Cinema.....Celso, Peque and Mario O'Hara.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1469 on: Jun 10, 2007 at 01:56 PM »
Figures. I don't know if Gil is talking to Tikoy. He certainly wasn't talking to me, last time we saw each other.

Elwood talks to everyone. Him I like very much.