Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 500021 times)

Offline oggsmoggs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #1590 on: Jul 30, 2007 at 12:58 PM »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1591 on: Jul 30, 2007 at 01:41 PM »
Nice one,oggs.

My own take .

Did you see this during the live screening last Saturday? Wanted to go but had an opening to attend to. Sayang.
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2007 at 01:46 PM by X44 »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1592 on: Jul 30, 2007 at 01:46 PM »

This is cool. I'm keen on Bona and Biyaya Ng Lupa as I haven't seen those yet and Temptation as I haven't seen that in a long while but what looks   really fun to watch are Captain Barbell and Fefita Fofongay. Sayang walang Omeng o Fung Ku. Hehe. ;D

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1593 on: Jul 30, 2007 at 01:48 PM »
Just seen MAGIC TEMPLE again...

"Lulubong lilitaw ang mga kalansay!"  ;D I miss my childhood days...

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1594 on: Jul 30, 2007 at 01:48 PM »
Nice one,oggs.

My own take .

Did you see this during the live screening last Saturday? Wanted to go but had an opening to attend to. Sayang.

Yup, saw it last Saturday. You saw this during last year's Cinemanila right? Was there a live band?

I'm gonna catch a bunch from the Cinema One Classics; This is really a bad time for festivals for me, since the Bar Examinations is just a month away (and I don't want to flunk).

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1595 on: Jul 30, 2007 at 02:04 PM »
No no band when I saw it. And I used to listen to Bobby Balingit's band the Wuds,too.Too bad.

Yeah those klasiks look fun. Plus Cinemanila's coming up. I hate that I missed Cinemalaya this year. I'm hoping I eventually see some of these. I haven't seen any from last year's entries. Work is a four letter word. :)

Good luck with the bar, oggs.  ;D

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1596 on: Jul 30, 2007 at 02:11 PM »
No no band when I saw it. And I used to listen to Bobby Balingit's band the Wuds,too.Too bad.

Yeah those klasiks look fun. Plus Cinemanila's coming up. I hate that I missed Cinemalaya this year. I'm hoping I eventually see some of these. I haven't seen any from last year's entries. Work is a four letter word. :)

Good luck with the bar, oggs.  ;D

Thanks Dodo,

Once I'm done with the bar... I can do anything I want. Sigh.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1597 on: Jul 30, 2007 at 07:36 PM »
Another question to answer.....who among the three enfant terrible of Philippine Cinema is the better filmmaker? Celso Ad Castillo, Peque Gallaga, Mario O'Hara?

I'll abstain from answering my question.  ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2007 at 07:36 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1598 on: Jul 30, 2007 at 07:58 PM »
i would say Mario O'Hara is the most consistent among the three fimmakers. both Castillo and O'Hara started making movies in the 70's while the former did Nympha in the late 60's and Gallaga started in the late 70's with Binhi...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1599 on: Jul 30, 2007 at 08:09 PM »
Are they on the same age group, Jojo?

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1600 on: Jul 30, 2007 at 08:58 PM »
Another question to answer.....who among the three enfant terrible of Philippine Cinema is the better filmmaker? Celso Ad Castillo, Peque Gallaga, Mario O'Hara?

Peque Gallaga!

Offline pink moon

• Collector
  • Impetuous! Homeric!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1601 on: Jul 30, 2007 at 09:34 PM »

Mario O'Hara, easily.

But love, love Burlesk Queen and Pagputi ng Uwak, Pag-itim ng Tagak by Castillo.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1602 on: Jul 31, 2007 at 07:03 AM »
Are they on the same age group, Jojo?

i think O'Hara is the youngest of the three but i maybe wrong...

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #1603 on: Aug 01, 2007 at 04:00 AM »
O'Hara, above all. But for sheer visual talent, Castillo is one of the best, as O'Hara himself admitted.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1604 on: Aug 01, 2007 at 04:41 AM »
Speaking of Celso Ad Castillo, I saw this on kabayancentral.com:

http://www.kabayancentral.com/video/others/cpotsnakesis.html

Has any of you purchased this vcd of Snake Sisters?  Is this uncut?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1605 on: Aug 01, 2007 at 08:07 AM »
O'Hara, above all. But for sheer visual talent, Castillo is one of the best, as O'Hara himself admitted.

I wish The Kid would go back again to the kind of films he churned out in the 70's and early 80's. Even his exploitation movies have high visual value.

Noel good to see you back on-line in the forum.

Offline Elle Nino

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1606 on: Aug 01, 2007 at 10:04 AM »

Mario O'Hara.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1607 on: Aug 01, 2007 at 01:21 PM »
I probably can't visit all that often. But I'm sure ya'll recognize my voice when I'm in the room. ;D

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1608 on: Aug 02, 2007 at 01:53 AM »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1609 on: Aug 02, 2007 at 06:53 PM »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1610 on: Aug 02, 2007 at 08:07 PM »
MUTYA NG PASIG is one of Mike de Leon's favorite films.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1612 on: Aug 04, 2007 at 01:02 PM »

Classics, Blocksbusters and Indie Gems Run in Cinema One’s KOOL PINOY KLASSIKS

Premiere Pinoy Movie Cable Channel Cinema One continues its bid for cinematic domination with the 2nd Annual Kool Pinoy Klassiks Celebration kicking off starting August 1 to August 5 at the Cinema 1 of the SM Megamall.
With the success of Cinema One's Anniversary Classic Film Festival last year, Cinema One this time features a combination of hit independent, digital and mainstream films. Select films to run also feature stars that initially stratosphered them to celebrity prominence. An added feature will be a sentimental tribute to Regal's beloved director Joey Gosiengfiao whereby the audience is afforded the opportunity to get into the persona of a filmmaker whose perspectives reflect through his playful movies and their distinct appeal. The festival also salutes the best of LVN Pictures, the hilarious humor of Dolphy in his comedy films and the best horror movies of Philippine cinema.

Kool Pinoy Klassiks will kick off on August 1 Wednesday, starting with Captain Barbell starring Comedy King Dolphy and Lotis Key in one of their more popular hits together. Dolphy stars in the title role, with Ting-Ting as his alter ego because of his rid-thinness. Little did anybody know he has the superpowers that could save mankind. The beautiful classic Malvarosa is programmed at mid-afternoon. This 1958 LVN classic stars Charito Solis who portrays a character whose strength of spirit made her a triumphant survivor amidst life’s burdens. In the evening will be the Cinema One Originals' Pandanggo. This digifilm stars Chin Chin Gutierrez and Raymond Bagatsing who get entangled in the interspersing of three different stories. Finally closing the day will be La Paloma - a drama that sets Celia Rodriguez against her sister who is her greatest rival in everything.

August 2, Thursday will be opened by Da Best in the West with Dolphy, Weng Weng and Lito Lapid in their first and last successful screen trio by RVQ Productions in 1981. After that will be the Cinema One 2006 digifilm Raket Ni Nanay starring Mark Gil, Sarsi Emmanuel and Archie Adamos who are connected by their struggles and compromises they give into. This will be followed by Mutya ng Pasig, the 1950 LVN classic starring Jose Padilla, Jr. and Rebecca Gonzales. Next in the lineup is Rekados, the Cinema One Original 2006 finalist by director Paolo Herras starring Meryl Soriano, Eula Valdez and Boots Anson Roa whose stories are intertwined by their romantic lives. Final film for the day is Regal Film’s 1980 sensual classic Bedspacers starring Alma Moreno and Rio Locsin.

Friday August 3 starts with the RVQ comic hit Fefita Fofongay starring Dolphy and Rosanna Ortiz. One of Star Cinema’s highest grossing films Feng Shui follows after, headed by Kris Aquino, who accidentally picks up a lone bagua mirror unknown initially and causes compromising advents of good and bad lucks. Shortly after will be the classic Kundiman ng Lahi. This 1959 LVN classic of director Lamberto Avellana stars Charito Solis, Eddie Rodriguez, Joseph de Cordova and Rosa Aguirre in a tale of difficult lives meeting difficult choices for the redemption of oneself. At 5:30 pm will be Sa North Diversion Road, a Cinema One 2006 digifilm starring Irma Adlawan and John Arcilla in a tale of infidelity of many different ways, through many different roads. The next will be Biyaya ng Lupa starring Rosa Rosal, Tony Santos, Leroy Salvador, Joseph de Cordova and Marita Zobel. This classic is one of the Filipino gems exhibited in an international film festival and won acclaims and awards and noticed for its cast. The night will be capped by the amusing Nights of Serafinastarring Georgia Ortega, John Apacible, Mike Magat and a young Angelika dela Cruz. This 1996 Regal Films camp is where the trademark gay-ish line ‘walang nangyari sa barko!’ marked to pop consciousness.

Earliest for Saturday August 4 will be Katorse. This 1980 Regal Film classic gem placed Dina Bonnevie to stardom with a raw yet effective performance of a rich girl gone wild who pays a horrifying price for it in the end. This is followed by the action comedy Dolphy’s Angels with Carmi Martin and Yellen Catral. This 1980 RVQ Productions hit sets the John & Marsha popularity to another dimension when Dolphy becomes a secret agent to solve a crime alongside his lovely consorts. Huk Sa Bagong Pamumuhay follows right after. It stars Jose Padilla, Jr. and Celia Flor. Next will be the digifilm The Woven Stories of the Other. The 1980 great Lino Brocka film Bona is next, starring Nora Aunor and Philip Salvador. Here’s where idolatry and blind romance lead to a horrifying crime by the so-called weak. Finale film of the day is Tempatation Island. This Joey Gosengfiao masterpiece which stars Dina Bonnevie, Azenith Briones, Jennifer Cortez, Deborah Sun and Bambi Arambulo revolves around these women whose personal idiosyncrasies set the story’s amusing pace when they get lost in an isolated island.

The last day of Kool Pinoy Klassiks, August 5, Sunday will be lead by La Paloma and followed by Kakabakaba Ka Ba?with Christopher de Leon and Charo Santos in 1980. Badjao, an LVN gem in 1957 stars Rosa Rosal and Tony Santos follows right after. The event will be culminated by no less than the classic film, Mutya ng Pasig.

The 2nd Annual Kool Pinoy Klassiks is helmed and produced by Cinema One in its fervent support for local entertainment. It is one of the strongest channels of CPI (Creative Programs, Incorporated), a subsidiary of ABS-CBN, which prides itself as a content company.

Its good to see that they use the print of LVN classics. It was stored in a gold-plated circle tin case at the lobby ready to view before the screening starts.

I'll catch Mike de Leon's KAKABA KA BA, and Gosiengfiao's LA PALOMA & NYMPHA tomorrow. If my time permits me, I'll catch TEMPTATION ISLAND tonight at 9:30 pm.
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2007 at 01:26 PM by keating »

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1613 on: Aug 05, 2007 at 06:12 AM »
I probably can't visit all that often. But I'm sure ya'll recognize my voice when I'm in the room. ;D

You're in some kind of project-that-demands-attention, Noel? Quite surprised that you're ditching updates on the Yahoo Groups...

Your blog link's still up, anyhow.

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1614 on: Aug 05, 2007 at 06:16 AM »
Its good to see that they use the print of LVN classics. It was stored in a gold-plated circle tin case at the lobby ready to view before the screening starts.

I'll catch Mike de Leon's KAKABA KA BA, and Gosiengfiao's LA PALOMA & NYMPHA tomorrow. If my time permits me, I'll catch TEMPTATION ISLAND tonight at 9:30 pm.

Would that be available on Cinema One International? I'm not certain of the differences between local and international schedules.

Last good pinoy flick I've seen (and courtesy of, what else, cinema one) was Sa North Diversion Road. Hopefully, an influx could sway us off a marathon of Claudine Barretto's cheesy romance films. Hehe.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1615 on: Aug 05, 2007 at 09:38 AM »
NYMPHA was cancelled today, darn! Dina Bonnevie's signature film KATORSE will fill in the gap at 7:30 pm screening at Sm Megamall.

I think its available on Cinema One's global channel, wedge.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1616 on: Aug 05, 2007 at 03:00 PM »
You're in some kind of project-that-demands-attention,

Yeah. A job.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1617 on: Aug 05, 2007 at 10:05 PM »
LA PALOMA (Joey Gosiengfiao, 1974)

Close to perfection. Reminds me of Jean Renoir's RULES OF THE GAME if Gosiengfiao added more colorful characters in the film. Perfect, perfect setting and atmosphere. The brilliant Celia Rodriguez adds another unforgettable character in her list of filmography. Much better than Wilfredo Nolledo's segment in another Gosiengfiao flick.....BABAE, NGAYON AT KAILANMAN. Another fascinating film from the camp master. I wish Cinema One would find the other cult classics from the archive of Sine Pilipino Productions including ZOOM ZOOM SUPERMAN & SI POPEYE ATBP.
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2007 at 10:08 PM by keating »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1618 on: Aug 05, 2007 at 10:17 PM »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend