Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 500294 times)

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #1680 on: Sep 02, 2007 at 05:47 PM »
     A Ramon Revilla movie called KILLING OF SATAN (1983) directed by Efren C. Pinon will be released internationally on DVD come Sept. 18 to be distributed by Music Video Distribution. No dvd cover yet. I come across this while browsing dvd titles online. I wonder if there be will other tagalog movies to come out of obscurity by this distributor.

This is the actual synopsis posted on dvdempire.com site:
    Starring Ramon Revilla. Life is not easy for an ex-convict, and Lando San Miguel knew it would take courage and perseverance to rebuild his family and start a new life. An island where Lando's uncle was living seemed to be the perfect place to start again. Frightening events and strange coincidences prove that this is no ordinary island. Lando is soon to find his destiny on this island of fear. He is about to come face-to-face with the terror of darkness. It is Lando's horrifying fate to battle the Devil himself!

Does anyone know its tagalog title?
« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2007 at 05:48 PM by thegoodbyeguy »

Offline deweyfinn

• DVD Guru
  • ...still kickin' arse....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #1681 on: Sep 03, 2007 at 02:40 AM »
     A Ramon Revilla movie called KILLING OF SATAN (1983) directed by Efren C. Pinon will be released internationally on DVD come Sept. 18 to be distributed by Music Video Distribution. No dvd cover yet. I come across this while browsing dvd titles online. I wonder if there be will other tagalog movies to come out of obscurity by this distributor.

This is the actual synopsis posted on dvdempire.com site:
    Starring Ramon Revilla. Life is not easy for an ex-convict, and Lando San Miguel knew it would take courage and perseverance to rebuild his family and start a new life. An island where Lando's uncle was living seemed to be the perfect place to start again. Frightening events and strange coincidences prove that this is no ordinary island. Lando is soon to find his destiny on this island of fear. He is about to come face-to-face with the terror of darkness. It is Lando's horrifying fate to battle the Devil himself!

Does anyone know its tagalog title?

KAMPON NI SATANAS?

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1682 on: Sep 03, 2007 at 03:50 AM »

Quote from: deweyfinn posted today at 02:40AM
KAMPON NI SATANAS?

Thanks deweyfinn. How'd you know that?  :)

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1683 on: Sep 08, 2007 at 01:52 PM »

Amalia Fuentes, a guest on The Sweet Life show this afternoon considered IBULONG MO SA HANGIN (BLOOD/CURSE OF THE VAMPIRES) as one of her memorable movies she has done. She didn't mentioned the other title (KULAY DUGO ANG GABI a.k.a. BLOOD DRINKERS) although she was referring to that other horror she had done with Gerry De Leon. She also said in an interview that she even bought those two DVDs through amazon and lent it to her friends. I wonder if she happened to know that BIG BROADCAST,  AMY, SUSIE, TESSIE and BILANGGONG BIRHEN were available in cinefilipino.com?

If you are a Netflix subscriber, The Blood Drinkers is now available in the "Watch Instantly" section.

http://www.netflix.com/WatchNowMovie?dmode=ATAGLANCE&lnkctr=mdp-tab-aag&n=1&movieid=60024492&trkid=203104

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1684 on: Sep 08, 2007 at 06:12 PM »

BROKEN MARRIAGE (Ishmael Bernal, 1983)

How do you surpass a film one year after the former (RELASYON) got rapturous reviews and gain critical acclaim embracing Vilma Santos' grand slam feat? The answer lies in BROKEN MARRIAGE. The opening scene shows a tired Ellen (Vilma) coming home and welcome by the usual nag from her husband Rene (Boyet de Leon). The nag results to a quarrel and exchange of harsh words courtesy by the brilliant script by Jose Carreon. Sounds like KRAMER vs. KRAMER? Nope! BROKEN MARRIAGE is consistent from start to finish. As we see the separation of the married couple, there lies the strength of the film. It never flounders as Bernal added some eccentric characters that Ellen and Rene knows. The technical craftmanship is clever. Manolo Abaya's camera captured immensely the world of Ellen as a tv floor director, same in the job of Boyet as a journalist. Max Jocson's musical score is always a breather in every movie. Classy, rings perfection in every Filipino movie. The production design is superb. Vilma and Boyet acts like a real married couple. Their quiet moments amidst the exhilarating exchange of words rightly convey their message to each other. Classic Bernal!

« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2007 at 06:37 PM by keating »

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1685 on: Sep 08, 2007 at 09:08 PM »

Quote from: pinoymovies posted today at 01:52PM
If you are a Netflix subscriber, The Blood Drinkers is now available in the "Watch Instantly" section.

http://www.netflix.com/WatchNowMovie?dmode=ATAGLANCE&lnkctr=mdp-tab-aag&n=1&movieid=60024492&trkid=203104

Thanks pinoymovies for the info, I'll recommend this to my friends. Come October 31st I will have once again a plethora of horror movies to watch although I do watch them often. I will broaden my selections this time, that is, will include these two Gerry De Leon classics along with other pinoy horror movies that really delivers.:)

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1686 on: Sep 11, 2007 at 10:06 AM »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1687 on: Sep 12, 2007 at 02:29 PM »
Sharon Cuneta arrived on the set of PASAN KO ANG DAIGDIG in Smokey Mountain and the crowd nearly mob her. She was covering her nose. Lino was able to control the crowd when she got off from the vehicle. With no apprehensions, he act to Sharon how she will pick up the trash as they set foot on piles of garbage from the stinking location. Known for his less rehearsals on the set, the camera started to roll and the shoving match between Sharon and Vangie Labalan came out effectively as they both rolled on the piles of garbage fighting with each other. Lino shouted CUT! And said to the cameraman, ok, ok.

Sharon was amazed after the take.

from the documentary SIGNED: LINO BROCKA

« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2007 at 02:30 PM by keating »

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1688 on: Sep 12, 2007 at 06:05 PM »
kuya Jo, pa upload mo naman yung HIMALA...hehehehehe

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1689 on: Sep 12, 2007 at 06:35 PM »
Once time allows, i'm going to search for a copy of MANILA by Bernal. Not MANILA BY NIGHT but MANILA produced by Marita Manuel for the Metro Manila Commission anniv.
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2007 at 06:37 PM by RMN »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1690 on: Sep 12, 2007 at 06:52 PM »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1691 on: Sep 12, 2007 at 07:20 PM »
I wish I had the influence for tomorrow's Gawad Urian so that Maricel could finally be recognized by the critics. It seems a long shot!

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1692 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 12:57 AM »
the ultimate Nora Aunor performance in a classic film from 1982....

http://cdn-ll-static.viddler.com/flash/publisher.swf?key=5b2ea865&viewToken=41a1403c&openURL=103146939

Hi Jojo,

Please, please upload Bona next.

Many thanks,
RSE

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1693 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 06:41 AM »
go to youtube and search for Bona...

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1694 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 02:07 PM »
Hi Jojo,

Please, please upload Bona next.

Many thanks,
RSE

Meron na sa Youtube...atsaka yung Bulaklak meron din

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1695 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 06:13 PM »
go to youtube and search for Bona...

Found it there but it's not complete, it ends in part 15  :(

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1696 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 06:19 PM »
Found it there but it's not complete, it ends in part 15  :(

continuation:

pelikulangpilipino.multiply.com

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1697 on: Sep 17, 2007 at 03:59 AM »
continuation:

pelikulangpilipino.multiply.com
thanks  ;D

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1698 on: Sep 17, 2007 at 10:35 AM »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2007 at 01:28 AM by Noel_Vera »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1700 on: Sep 20, 2007 at 12:36 AM »

Insiang and Tinimbang available in September

I ordered both titles from CineFilipino as soon as I've seen their posting.  I've received a confirmation e-mail from them telling me that my order will be processed by mid-October.

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1701 on: Sep 21, 2007 at 10:37 AM »
Bakit May Pag-ibig Pa? - Ishmael Bernal/Celso Ad Castillo

Caught this in Cinema One Global while my wife was channel-browsing. I admit that I was not as eager to watch it than the Brocka melodrama Maging Akin Ka Lamang the previous night before (the powerpunch of the latter's dialogue is enough to knock me off my seat, hehe). The Bernal slice of the film is funny, poignant and the exchanges of Boyet de Leon and Nora Aunor are powerful. Albeit, it does not entirely put much emphasis on the wheels of the conflict, the dialogues are sufficient to tell you what the plot is. The Celso part is, a shot in the dark, I think. With less dialogues, the visuals are what the viewer should focus more. There are convoluted scenes---scenes that at a certain degree is a bit confounding, that I realized that there are lapses in its chronology. Overall, it's not an exhausting film, its lightheartedness somehow soothed the hangover of the Brocka film the night before.

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1702 on: Sep 21, 2007 at 08:04 PM »
PEP: Donsol to represent RP at the Oscars
09/21/2007 | 12:21 PM
Email this | Email the Editor | Print | Digg this | Add to del.icio.us
A love story set in the picturesque province of Donsol, Sorsogon, is the official Philippine entry to the 80th Annual Academy Awards to be held in February 2008. Starring Angel Aquino and Sid Lucero, Donsol has been chosen to vie for the Oscar award in the Best Foreign Language Film category.

The directorial debut of Adolf Alix, Jr. premiered during the 2006 Cinemalaya Philippine Independent Film Festival where it won Best Cinematography and Best Actress for Angel Aquino.

Donsol tells the story of two people who meet and fall in love at a time when the butanding (whale sharks) visit Sorsogon, which is located at the southeastern part of the Bicol Peninsula.

This indie film features the parallelisms between the two characters' love story and the migration patterns of the whale sharks. Locally known as butanding, whale sharks are migratory animals that frequent the turquoise waters of this province from November to May.

During the story conference of his latest film Nars held last night, September 20, at the Thompson Square in Tomas Morato, Adolf gladly told PEP (Philippine Entertainment Portal) about the good news.

"Nalaman ko lang yesterday na ang official submission ng Philippines for the Academy Awards for the Foreign Language Film is Donsol. Actually, nakakatuwa. Hindi ko in-expect. Medyo in the middle nga ako of two films, nagpo-post-production ako ng Tambolista [for Cinema One Originals] and itong Nars mag-i-start na sa Saturday so in between may magandang news lang," says an overwhelmed Adolf.

"Ang daming films na magaganda last year and worthy rin sila pero noong nalaman ko na Donsol ang ipapadala, tuwang-tuwa ako. It's a long shot pero wala namang mawawala, e," says the director with optimism. "May mga requirements na kailangan munang isubmit. Aayusin ko muna."

Although, Adolf points out that his film was able to pass the preliminary requirements for it to be shortlisted. "Actually, may 35mm ang Donsol, which is one of the requisites for the Oscars. Kailangan rin at least one week ka nag-run sa theaters," he says. In fact, Star Cinema screened Donsol for two weeks starting November 29, 2006. ABS-CBN's film production company is the local distributor of the film and Adolf is in the middle of negotiating with a US distributor.

"For Donsol, which is first film ko, nakakatuwa kasi one year ago na pero nakakatuwa na napapansin pa rin nila," he gushes. The director is not aware how many entries were considered for the Oscars but he did point out that Eddie Romero, the National Artist for Film headed the selection committee.

"Nagbuo sila ng selection committee, I think yung head si Eddie Romero. Nagbuo sila ng selection committee to choose the Filipino entry to the Oscars. Then sa Oscars, yung voting members. Medyo long shot kasi madaming members yun and you have to send promotional materials," he explains.

Last year, a total of 61 countries submitted films for consideration in the Foreign Language Film category for the 79th Academy Awards, including the country's Ang Pagdadalaga ni Maximo Oliveros (The Blossoming of Maximo Oliveros) directed by Auraeus Solito.

On January 22, the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences will select the five nominees for the 2008 Foreign Language Oscar. The Academy Awards will be presented February 24, 2008. - Philippine Entertainment Portal

Offline butsoy

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1703 on: Sep 21, 2007 at 10:17 PM »
I wish I had the influence for tomorrow's Gawad Urian so that Maricel could finally be recognized by the critics. It seems a long shot!

Thanks keating (coming from a Maricel fan :D)! But sad to say, her performance was overlooked once again by the Manunuri. Better luck next time (as always :P)

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1704 on: Sep 21, 2007 at 10:40 PM »
Maricel should have won before for Bernal's HINUGOT SA LANGIT, Carlitos' IKAW PA LANG ANG MINAHAL. But she miss it always.

The truth is it took many many years for Eddie Garcia to take home the bacon from the Manunuri before he was finally recognized. Baka me tungkod na si Maria before she will be recognize by the Urian which is really really bad.
« Last Edit: Sep 21, 2007 at 10:44 PM by keating »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1705 on: Sep 22, 2007 at 04:34 AM »
At long last I am able to see I think one of Lino Brocka's masterpiece, Bona.

This film is lucky that it’s in a very good condition for its age.  Other movies made in the 80s are either in very terrible condition or altogether lost.  This is even in its original aspect ratio which I think at 1.85:1. 

Nora’s performance alone made me not question that a person is capable of such extreme obsession.  The way she played it (at least for me), there’s a hint that her obsession borders to a mental condition.  I think that she’s a very disturbed individual (like the character Kathy Bates played in Misery) and the ending proves that.

Philip is also good but Nora’s performance just dwarfs his´.

The hints of infantism are also disturbing and add another layer to the story.

And of course the social milieu, the lives of the people around them adds a visual flavor to the movie; and is captured to perfection by the great Conrado Baltazar.
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2007 at 04:37 AM by rse »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1706 on: Sep 22, 2007 at 10:31 PM »
Di Maghilom Ang Sugat

This is a surprisingly good “bold” film from the 80s.  This movie can actually stand even without the sex scenes.  It’s a very moody piece, a mix of sex, melodrama and great use of locations:  the Manila pier port, abandoned old buildings, etc.  The “bold” actors are actually not bad in the acting department.  I’m actually not surprised that this is written by Armando Lao.  It’s a very well-observed film.  The flashbacks are mostly very effectively used.
I haven’t seen Takaw Tukso so I can’t really compare the two.
The copy that I’ve seen is in really bad condition.  Having just bought an American movie on DVD that was made in the 40s and seeing that in mint condition, it just breaks my heart to see this relatively newish film in this dire condition.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1707 on: Sep 22, 2007 at 10:44 PM »
Virgin Forest
Peque Gallaga
This movie is a cousin of Oro, Plata, Mata.  It has the same bravura look and feel, and epic scale.  But I think that this is the better film, the story is better and it’s also a better realized film.
It’s not perfect though.  It’s a bit confusing at times, and some of the shootout scenes just go on and on.  Even some of the sex scenes just come out of nowhere (understandably so, because I think that this was advertised as a “bold” film!).  Still there are a lot of moments in this film to be considered great.  One thing that I noticed that’s really weird in this movie is that how they portrayed the “pampanguenos” to be almost like savages.  Early in the movie, they even wear outfits that will fit more in a movie like Apocalypto.
Typical, the copy that I’ve seen is in a very bad condition.  A lot of the scenes in this movie happen at night and sometimes I can barely see what’s happening.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #1708 on: Sep 23, 2007 at 01:44 PM »
Virgin Forest the better film? I might subscribe to that.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1709 on: Sep 23, 2007 at 05:53 PM »
Lav Diaz counts VIRGIN FOREST as Peque Gallaga's best film. He thinks ORO PLATA MATA is too Hollywood.