Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 500490 times)

Offline Noel_Vera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #1710 on: Sep 24, 2007 at 09:25 AM »
I think it's better than Unfaithful Wife. That's very well made, and it all works till you ask the question: "Just why is the wife keeping her role secret?" Then things fall apart.

That's Peque's problem in almost all his films, except maybe Scorpio.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1711 on: Sep 24, 2007 at 06:12 PM »
Maybe its time to revisit again VIRGIN FOREST. You take away all the sex scenes, its still a better film than the ones he did with Lore Reyes except perhaps for ISANG ARAW WALANG DIYOS.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1712 on: Sep 25, 2007 at 05:20 AM »
Saw Pinakamagandang Hayop sa Balat Ng Lupa.  I think I’ve seen it before on TV once when I was really young but I’ve forgotten most of it.
The version that I’ve seen now is an English-dubbed version called Isabel of the Island (or something).  The English dialogue takes a while to get used to it (although from the sound of it, it seems like most of the actor dubbed their own character…).
This is a perfect vehicle for Gloria Diaz and she looks like a goddess here.  No kidding, she’s just simply stunning!  The film itself is a visual feast even in a fairly poor condition of the transfer that I’ve seen.

I think this is now one of my favorite Celso Ad Castillo movies (although I haven’t seen much of his).

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1713 on: Sep 25, 2007 at 01:29 PM »
Frankly I prefer Celso to Peque. O'Hara thinks he's got the best eye in the industry, better than even Gerry de Leon.

Pinaka is a remake of Lean's Ryan's Daughter, down to the mentally handicapped man played by--was that Dick Israel? I suppose Lean's version is the more complex (I need to see both again), but Celso has this eye, darn it...

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1714 on: Sep 25, 2007 at 05:23 PM »
the metally handicapped man was played with great gusto by Lito Anzures...

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1715 on: Sep 25, 2007 at 10:53 PM »
Actually come to think of it, Pinaka has a lot of similarities to Celso's other movie, Isla. A beautiful girl being lusted upon by the male members of a fishing village (including her "uncle").  It also features a mentally handicapped  character.  Also the leads are played by former beauty queens.

I actually like Isla too.  Although for some strange reason, its use of classical music bothers me.  It feels out-of-place from the movie.
« Last Edit: Sep 25, 2007 at 10:55 PM by rse »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1716 on: Sep 27, 2007 at 11:15 AM »
Cinema: Its Impact on Human Society
Address of President Marcos
First Manila International Film Festival 18 Jan 1982

To play the part of host to a felicitous occasion like this, at a time when our world in the words of a contemporary historian is so deeply marked by "infelicity," is a great privilege for our people and our country, so permit me first to add my words of appreciation and welcome to all of you who have journeyed so very far from your homelands to our capital.

No one believes, though it would be nice if it were so, that this very first International Film Festival to be held in what is sometimes called the Third World, will do anything revolutionary to the art of the cinema in our time. Art, we are always reminded, is not impressed by awards.

But there is that part of the world of the cinema that is inhabited by our all too human needs: by the need of. filmmakers and craftsmen for some sign of recognition that their work touches the life around them; by the need of film producers, distributors and financiers for a global audience that can sustain a multi-billion dollar industry; and by the need also of those of us who, while not makers of films, are no less intense in their devotion and love for the cinema, to give recognition to what deeply affect and move us.

It is for this, if for nothing else, that film festivals might be said to have relevance and meaning.

It is the great paradox of art and literature that what is accomplished in solitude and even in seclusion from the public must also be the most public of creations. There is perhaps in our time no medium more powerful or immediate in its impact on human society as the cinema.

The historian Barbara Tuchman not long ago suggested that if we pause to record mankind's greatest moments against our present despondency and pessimism, we must count among the milestones man's ingenuity to entertain and amuse himself, and
to create works of great brilliance and delight. And she regards entertainment and art 'as among mankind's greatest achievements, which balance what sometimes appear as the severities of human experience today.

In the long arc of history, we can surely say that the discovery of printing and the discovery of the motion picture belong with the splitting of the atom and the discovery of the wheel among the highlights of human achievement. We can debate which of the two-print or film, the world or the image -has had or continues to have the more profound impact on world culture, but there is no question that contemporary times have been shaped and are shaped in part by what we do with the world and the image.

In this is underlined the intense interaction between art and society, and between artists and publics. Just as without a live reader, what a man writes can wither on the page; so without an audience, what a filmmaker creates can veritably die on celluloid.

It also can be put in another way: that our world, without its writers and artists and communicators, to interpret experience and to help us understand, could dissolve into virtual incoherence and confusion. And it could well be that our time more than any previous era-with all its challengers and its burdens, its anxieties and presentiments-has never been in greater need of the artist to provide illumination and insight.

Filmgoers want to laugh and cry. But perhaps even more truly, they want to see the human person shaping his destiny, or at least as has been suggested, struggling with it.

In an impressive number of films being made all over the world today, we can surely note this great ability of the cinema to extend the range of our sense of wonder and understanding. But we should also note the particular problems for the artist in an age like ours, which sometimes limit or stifle this high role we recognize.

Ours is a time that finds its most sterling exponents in the image of the loser and the anti-hero, and it has sometimes appeared as though our art today is predominantly consumed by unremitting experience of ugliness.

Now perhaps more than yesterday, artists appear to be torn between the call of truth and the call of beauty. And because its seems more fashionable to choose truth, there sometimes is a tendency to think that by making things so ugly nobody can therefore doubt "its virginity."

Not being artists, we can only hope and believe that the artist is not necessarily reduced to such a dilemma that it should be possible to cloth one in the other. For just as in the greatest literature, and yes, the greatest films, the experience of loss and tragedy can have great meaning and profundity, so we think it possible that the tragedies and foibles of our time need not just appear foolish or repellent in our creations, but something from which man and society can learn.

This is a challenge to all who would embrace the difficult vocation of art and literature; and it is surely no less so for the makers of film.

In a medium so unparalleled in its reach and capacity to move audiences, it is surely not vain to hope that the cinema might help us to understanding and even to bring our world together. This is a hope that has been worn from overuse, but the need does not diminish from repetition.

There is in history a pendulum of culture that serves as our strongest bridge between nations and peoples. This is surely true in the fact that the printing revolution which began in the East lighted the entry of the West into modern times. This could also be true of film.

Can we not learn from the cinema, as we should from other media, the insight and the will to face up to the problems of our time, so vividly etched in the weird paradox that we are simultaneously challenged by "too many people in the world and too much power to destroy them?"

To put this to you, ladies and gentlemen of the cinema, is not a case of passing the buck to artists what we politicians must surely bear as our primary responsibility. It is just a way of saying that solutions to our problems today cannot be sought alone in politics and government, but in the common effort of all, including those like you who uniquely shape the contours of culture in our time.

It is a fact unique to the cinema that its invention occurred simultaneously in several parts of the world. Questions still remain as to who really invented the moving picture, but perhaps.
it is' more true to say that the cinema began with the coincidental discoveries of different scientists working apart from each other.

It is a curious point that forms an apt prologue to an industry and an art that transcend the boundaries of nations and belong to all humanity.

And what better proof is there of this than that here in our city, the filmmakers of the world gather today to speak the language of film.

We can perhaps open this festival of films with no more fitting words than those of an inveterate filmgoer who said: "Reality is a movie."

I thank you.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1717 on: Sep 27, 2007 at 02:52 PM »
The Isla remake had the Ferris Wheel? That was a remarkable sequence. Virgin People too.

Thanks Jojo. I think Dick Israel was in the remake.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1718 on: Sep 29, 2007 at 02:06 AM »
Just saw Mel Chionglo’s Company of Women.  I didn’t like it.  I find it boring and un-erotic.  Most of the acting are bordering amateurish.
Although the brothel house (“casa”) that they use has character.   Actually the production design is more interesting than the actual story itself.
« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2007 at 02:07 AM by rse »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1719 on: Sep 29, 2007 at 06:22 AM »
Bought the DVD of Scorpio Nights from RegalFilms.com.  I have the VCD but I saw that the DVD was on-sale so I ended up ordering it, hoping that maybe the video quality is better than the VCD.
This release seems to be from a new press.  The trailers are from the more later releases of Regal Films like the latest Shake, Rattle and Roll, Zsa Zsa Zaturna, Mano Po (Gui Ai di?), etc.  The casing that they used is a very thin plastic case which I think is ideal for shipping.  To my surprise, this release has ENGLISH SUBTITLES. Yes, so you can now lend this to your non-Tagalog speaking friends.

The bad news is that it seems like this press is copied from a VHS tape.  Early in the movie just after the credits, there was a short screen jitter which is very typical for a VHS tape especially when it’s trying to adjust itself.  There’s a lot of color bleeding in this version.  Actually the picture quality of my VCD is better than this.

But the worse news is that this version is heavily cut, even compared to my VCD.

So basically the only saving grace of this release is the English subtitles, although be warned that very near the end the subtitles were out-of-synch with the action so it’s a bit distracting to watch.

Surprisingly I like it better now than the last time I saw it (which was a very long while ago!).  This movie  is an erotic masterpiece.  It’s one of the most visually inventive Pinoy films that I’ve seen, and also one of our most precision-edited films.   I’m less bothered now by  the sets.  I’ve come to accept that Peque is no Lino Brocka when it comes to capturing raw, real-life like surroundings.  Scorpio is gritty, dirty but in an artificial kind of way.

I’m still annoyed by the whole “rain sequence” and also with this brief scene where Fely was telling Danny that she’s just removed the vocal chords of the noisy cat.  It might be an allegory for something but it just so lame and ridiculous.  Is she a medical student or something?  She sure doesn’t look like one!   Peque’s fondness to slow-motion shots still bothers me a little bit.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1720 on: Sep 29, 2007 at 10:40 AM »
The slow motion opening shots was homage to Peque's earlier masterpiece ORO PLATA MATA. The technical craftmaship is outstanding. It lies heavily on Don Escudero's production design, Jess Navarro's editing and the musical score by Jaime Fabregas. Straight from the hospital after he suffered a massive heart attack.....Peque went on the set of SCORPIO NIGHTS.

The three leads gave their best shot acting wise and of course the nudity. Rse the uncut version on vcd is still around you just have to be lucky to grab it.
« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2007 at 10:43 AM by keating »

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1721 on: Sep 29, 2007 at 10:51 AM »
Oh, goody Keats :) My only copy of Scorpio Nights is in VCD, though I've rented a VHS of it waaay back. Don't really know what specific scenes were mercilessly cut---well, I'm not exactly aware that there is a cut version that exists.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1722 on: Sep 29, 2007 at 10:57 AM »
Check it out wedge. Lore Reyes is one of Mike Austria's friends in the film.  ;)

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1723 on: Sep 29, 2007 at 01:00 PM »
RSE, check out Init sa Magdamag. I prefer it over Scorpio.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1724 on: Sep 29, 2007 at 01:33 PM »
I haven't seen Init sa Magdamag, although I've only heard good things about it.

So is my VCD uncut?  I thought that only an early VHS release is uncut.
I also have the VHS but I bought it the same year as the VCD.  I don't think I've even seen it.  I think it's still in Manila.

In any case, Scorpio in its cut form is still better than other Pinoy sex movies that I've seen.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1725 on: Sep 30, 2007 at 11:16 AM »
Rse, I've checked the vcd of SCORPIO NIGHTS. The newest release by Regal Home Video in 2006 is the uncut one.
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2007 at 11:20 AM by keating »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1726 on: Sep 30, 2007 at 08:04 PM »
Rse, I've checked the vcd of SCORPIO NIGHTS. The newest release by Regal Home Video in 2006 is the uncut one.
Hi Keating..I think the DVD that I just bought was released on 2006 also. I don't get it, they released the VCD uncut and the DVD cut?  Where's the logic in that...?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1727 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 02:08 PM »
Mind-boggling really, rse. Its 2006 at the back of the vcd. Maybe we should email Regal Home Video to clarify the matter.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1728 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 12:18 AM »
Private Show

This is ¾ great movie….!   I think that the surreal ending I think didn’t blend well with the rest of the movie.  The latter part also felt rushed and slow at the same time.  I can’t believe how young Jacklyn Jose looked in this movie...

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1729 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 12:21 AM »
Mind-boggling really, rse. Its 2006 at the back of the vcd. Maybe we should email Regal Home Video to clarify the matter.
I can't do much anyways, I'm not based in the U.S, I can't just return it, he, he he..!  ;D

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1730 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 12:17 PM »
Not quite a big fan of Private Show but what I remember was that it was pretty good, and Jose was terrific. Saw her at whatsthatplace, the baker at T Morato--probably finishing dubbing or something--and she's very good looking in person. I suppose I should have tried introducing myself.

Actually, Jane's terrific in anything she's in. Macho Dancer, May Nagmamahal sa Iyo, even Tuhog she's very good (in Tuhog she's doing something very difficult--a deadpan spoof of the sensual-despite-herself victimized mother).
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2007 at 12:18 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1731 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 07:22 PM »
Jacklyn is so humble in person, met her in Cinemalaya at the CCP. To think that she's a great actress in the caliber of Nora, Vilma and Gina. I liked her best in PRIVATE SHOW & TAKAW TUKSO.

She's luminous and ignite the screen even in films like MISIS MO, MISIS KO.
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2007 at 11:26 AM by keating »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1732 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 10:51 PM »
Yes, I agree, Jacklyn is one of the very best actresses we have, and her performances are never showy.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1733 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 03:39 PM »
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2007 at 03:40 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1734 on: Oct 05, 2007 at 12:25 AM »
Puri

This is a one wacky film.  It’s one of those movies that are so bad that they’re good.  I was laughing most of the movie (although it's not a comedy!).  The sequence on the bell tower I think is very well made though.  Estella Estrada actually didn’t show a lot of skin in this movie (at least compared to the other movies I’ve seen in this era).
Elwood Perez is one crazy director.  Although I much prefer Silip.  Any other worthwhile movies he’s made?

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1735 on: Oct 05, 2007 at 03:17 AM »

ABS-CBN is making a big deal with their CINEMA FPJ when GMA-7 already has it before via FPJ SA GMA (a more accessible title I should say) and has become a classic TV show on its own. Oh well, I can't blame for the clamor of the fans of FPJ and non-fans alike. That was then (the '80's), this is now. I hope they will air more of his movies that hasn't been viewed in a long time (read: not available via VCDs/DVDs). I, myself is looking forward to his Panday series.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1736 on: Oct 05, 2007 at 11:53 AM »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1737 on: Oct 06, 2007 at 01:01 AM »
Snake Sisters (Celso Ad. Castillo, 1984)
Great review oggsmoggs, btw do you have the VCD?  How's the quality?  Is it uncut?  I'm planning to buy it.  Thanks.. ;D

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1738 on: Oct 06, 2007 at 01:07 AM »
Great review oggsmoggs, btw do you have the VCD?  How's the quality?  Is it uncut?  I'm planning to buy it.  Thanks.. ;D

Thanks rse, the copy is terrible. The subtitles are hardly readable (the characters don't speak in Tagalog but in some sort of gibberish), but I believe it is uncut.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1739 on: Oct 07, 2007 at 01:39 AM »
What do you think, oggs? Is Celso one of the greatest eyes in Philippine cinema?