Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 500182 times)

Offline rse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #1740 on: Oct 07, 2007 at 03:21 AM »
Naglalayag
I wasn’t expecting much with this movie.  I haven’t really been impressed with Nora’s latest efforts.  Later in her career, her acting became so mannered and overly “dramatic” for my taste.   I was in for a surprise!  The old Nora is back!!!  She’s so good in this movie.  It helped that this movie I think had an excellent screenplay and she’s surrounded by an excellent cast of veteran and new batch of actors, Yul Servo especially who was so natural and likeable.
Still I think that she’s a bit miscast. Upper-class is not really her forte, and she’s struggle a bit to look the part.
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2007 at 03:26 AM by rse »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #1741 on: Oct 08, 2007 at 11:30 AM »
Oh she does just fine. Ina Ka ng Anak Mo, Ikaw ay Akin. As good as if not better than ho-hum Vilma.

It's just not her best range.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1742 on: Oct 08, 2007 at 05:24 PM »
you should see her in Laurice Guillen's Kung Ako'y Iiwan Mo where she played a singing diva... one of my most favorite Nora Aunor performance.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1743 on: Oct 09, 2007 at 02:17 AM »
Saan Nagtatago Si Happiness?
Nannette Inventor and Rex Cortez are delightful to watch in this musical.  The cinematography is colorful and the slums in Tondo hadn’t looked this pretty.  Aside from that this is pretty standard pinoy fare with a musical twist.  The little girl who played Nene has a unique look although most of her scenes involve crying –a lot of crying!  The guy who played Tikyo is a bit too boring to watch.  The songs and dance numbers are ok.  They’re not bad but they’re not memorable.  Caridad Sanchez' character didn’t work for me at all….

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1744 on: Oct 09, 2007 at 04:17 AM »
Saan Nagtatago Si Happiness?
Nannette Inventor and Rex Cortez are delightful to watch in this musical.  The cinematography is colorful and the slums in Tondo hadn’t looked this pretty.  Aside from that this is pretty standard pinoy fare with a musical twist.  The little girl who played Nene has a unique look although most of her scenes involve crying –a lot of crying!  The guy who played Tikyo is a bit too boring to watch.  The songs and dance numbers are ok.  They’re not bad but they’re not memorable.  Caridad Sanchez' character didn’t work for me at all….

Saw this musical-indie film in Cinemalaya Presents on Channel 5 a few weeks back and all I could say is "okey lang siya." Appreciate the effort but that's just it. Nothing to rave about at all.
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2007 at 04:19 AM by thegoodbyeguy »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1745 on: Oct 09, 2007 at 02:42 PM »
Jojo, or anyone else out there--can you remember a memorable use of the close-up in a Filipino film? I guess there aren't many--or none--of the kind of gaint closeups Bergman uses, but there should be something. I have one in mind, I was hoping to get more (extra points to whoever can guess what I have in mind).

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1746 on: Oct 09, 2007 at 03:01 PM »
Hm. I can think of one, though I'm not sure if this is what you have in mind, Noel.

Maynila sa mga Kuko ng Liwanag - the scene wherein Julio was staring through the blinds for Ligaya. Not certain if it was a real close-up.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1747 on: Oct 09, 2007 at 03:42 PM »
Right film, wrong moment. Actually, I'm not sure about that--wasn't that more of a medium shot? If the face doesn't fill the screen, it's kind of iffy...

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1748 on: Oct 09, 2007 at 04:56 PM »
Jojo, or anyone else out there--can you remember a memorable use of the close-up in a Filipino film? I guess there aren't many--or none--of the kind of gaint closeups Bergman uses, but there should be something. I have one in mind, I was hoping to get more (extra points to whoever can guess what I have in mind).

i would think Rosario's close-up at the bridge in Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos...

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1749 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 01:29 AM »
Right film, wrong moment. Actually, I'm not sure about that--wasn't that more of a medium shot? If the face doesn't fill the screen, it's kind of iffy...

As far as I can remember, the scene wherein Julio Madiaga was cornered in a sidestreet was a closeup...

Offline sinehansakanto

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1750 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 01:41 AM »
As far as I can remember, the scene wherein Julio Madiaga was cornered in a sidestreet was a closeup...

I assumed that that would be the close-up shot that people would most remember from that movie. I think if there's any Pinoy movie that is defined by its close-ups, it would be O'Hara's Bulaklak sa City Jail, with the last close-up of Nora in the Manila Zoo being the best example from the film.

I've always been taught that a long-shot is from the feet up; a medium-shot is from the waist up; a close-up is from the shoulder up; an extreme close-up is basically the face (or another, single element) filling the screen.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1751 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 03:15 AM »
'ats sounds about right sinehansakanto. Well, extreme long shot would include little ant figures in the landscape.

Jo, I knew you'd follow through; Nora's moment is a great one, and I'm embarrassed not to have it pop into mind at once.

And yep, that penultiimate shot in Maynila is what I'm thinking of...

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1752 on: Oct 11, 2007 at 12:58 AM »
Shame
Elwood Perez

Words can’t describe this movie.  It has everything – I mean everything!!!   It has more twists and turns than a roller coaster ride…but the characters are not very interesting.  Although admittedly, the “kuaresma” backdrop is mildly interesting….

Boatman
I think this is Tikoy Aguiluz’ masterpiece.   I haven’t seen Sarsi Emmanuelle acted better in another movie.  Although I must admit, Ronnie’s “white” girlfriend has an annoying accent.  It sounded fake.  Was it dubbed?  Her accent reminded me of the accent of the actress who played Josephine Bracken in Bayaning Third World.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1753 on: Oct 11, 2007 at 07:30 AM »
Susanna Love? Yep, that's the way she talks. Actually, she's very hot in person, but even Tikoy admits, she's not a very good actress.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1754 on: Oct 11, 2007 at 08:28 PM »
MISIS MO, MISIS KO (Carlos Siguion-Reyna, 1988)

One of the better outputs of Viva Films that came out in 1988. The studio is known for their glossy production values, top-notch cast and komiks melodramas. On second viewing, maybe at par with Carlitos INAGAW MO ANG LAHAT SA AKIN and TATLO MAGKASALO or in between among these two films. Jackie Lou Blanco shines throughout the film. As usual the brilliant Jacklyn Jose just glows on the screen whether with dialogue or no dialogue at all. The setting in the film industry could have been improved if it was infuse with more humor, it tends to be dramedy while inflicting the boundaries of marital problems between the two couples. Loved the long-lush close-ups and the house of Edu and Dina.
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2007 at 08:31 PM by keating »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1755 on: Oct 12, 2007 at 03:14 AM »
Susanna Love? Yep, that's the way she talks. Actually, she's very hot in person, but even Tikoy admits, she's not a very good actress.
Yeps that's her!  ;D

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1756 on: Oct 12, 2007 at 02:51 PM »
I'm of two minds bout Misis Mo, Misis Ko. On one hand it's really well-made; tasteful Viva melodrama before there was a Viva film. On the other hand you miss the sub-orbital, out-there cluelessness of a camp classic like Inagaw Mo Ang Lahat sa Akin, or better yet, Abot Kamay ang Pangarap.

Love is hot; if I remember right, the movie was suppose to be a vehicle for her; sequels would involve her in various stages of undress--er, acting roles. But you can tell where her true talent lies...
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2007 at 02:52 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1757 on: Oct 12, 2007 at 09:11 PM »
The acting is Vivang-Viva but a cut above the rest of those glossy melodramas and komiks materials that the studio did in the past. The film industry which was the setting provide some of the comic relief.

Bibeth should write more movies like this. Her gig with Brocka for PALIPAT-LIPAT, PAPALIT-PALIT was more fun.

Are you referring to Jackie Lou Blanco, Noel?

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1758 on: Oct 12, 2007 at 11:25 PM »
Seen ORO PLATA MATA again! Thanks to kua Jojo! ;D

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1759 on: Oct 13, 2007 at 02:33 PM »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1760 on: Oct 13, 2007 at 06:16 PM »
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2007 at 06:17 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1761 on: Oct 14, 2007 at 11:33 AM »
Famas Awards Night 1978: Thanks to Kuya Simon Santos of Video 48 for the photos.

The invitation for the big night.

« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2007 at 11:33 AM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1762 on: Oct 14, 2007 at 11:36 AM »

The Comedy King bags the Best Actor award for OMENG SATANASIA.

Offline sinehansakanto

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1763 on: Oct 14, 2007 at 02:19 PM »
And Dolphy totally deserved the win. Omen Satanasia is great, and he's the element that holds the entire thing together.

I see you've discovered Video 48's blog as well. It's great seeing all those posters and ads for films we can no longer see, even if it's just for visualizing their moving images in our minds.

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1764 on: Oct 17, 2007 at 03:50 PM »
Lino Brocka's classic Tinimbang ka ngunit kulang is now out in the market. Available in all Powerbook stalls nationwide!
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2007 at 03:50 PM by sosy_high »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1766 on: Oct 21, 2007 at 08:41 PM »
Aguila

There are plenty to like in this movie, primarily its excellent cinematography and production design.
The story and scope are epic scale, sprawling from the 1900s to the 80s.  The story is interesting in most parts but I think the flashbacks are more interesting than the present story.
I think it’s the first time I’ve seen Amalia Fuentez act – not really a fan of her acting style, too mannered for my taste.  It’s also a bit weird watching Amalia and Eddie Garcia playing mom and stepdad to Fernando Poe Jr.  And I think that Jay Ilagan is a bit miscast too.   Fernando Poe is good, maybe the best I’ve seen him, although,  I haven’t seen him in Santiago yet so I can’t compare the two performances.
Elizabeth Orapeza is deliciously good (and looking so gorgeous!) The movie also boasts cameos from almost all living actors and actresses in that era, he he he…

Lastly, I think the use of this movie's theme song is just plain annoying and doesn't fit the movie at all (although I love that song....)

I think it’s a better filmed movie than Ganito Kami Noon, but I think I like Ganito a little better.
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2007 at 08:45 PM by rse »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1767 on: Oct 21, 2007 at 09:02 PM »
you should see FPJ in Santiago... it's definitely one of his best screen performances ever! i thought Daria Ramirez was also great as the mistress in Aguila...

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1768 on: Oct 21, 2007 at 09:41 PM »
you should see FPJ in Santiago... it's definitely one of his best screen performances ever! i thought Daria Ramirez was also great as the mistress in Aguila...
Yes, she's great too in such a small role..and quite good looking too.   ;D

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1769 on: Oct 24, 2007 at 01:02 AM »
Insiang  CineFilipino DVD release

Finally one of the big guns of Pinoy cinema is released on DVD!  So here’s the rundown of the DVD release:

The DVD doesn’t have any special features.  No trailers, no documentaries, even film notes.
The main menu only contains two options: play and chapter selection.
The movie is in 1.85:1 aspect ratio.  I don’t know if this is the original aspect ratio or if it’s masked.  The one they show on Cinema One is full framed at 1.33:1.  If it’s the original aspect ratio, then that means that this is the first time most of us can see the movie in its full visual entirety, in widescreen.

The film is subtitled but it’s not removable.  It’s a bit annoying at times because while watching the movie I can’t help but focus on the subtitle; my eyes were drawn to it and can’t help reading it while watching the movie.   It would have been better if the subtitles are located at the black bars at the bottom of the screen so it’s less distracting.

I noticed that the end credits are missing.  The DVD ended just after the word “The End” appeared on screen.  You can hear that the background music is cut abruptly.

The transfer is great for a Pinoy movie that’s made in 1976 if you keep your expectations in check.  This is not a Criterion Collection treatment or a Hollywood release so anybody expecting a THX, Dolby Digital, high definition transfer you’re in for a major disappointment.  At the back of the cover it states that the film has been digitally re-mastered.  I don’t exactly know what it means technically but I can’t see any efforts done to remove dirt and other blemishes in the transfer.  Basically what they meant by re-mastered is that they just digitized the movie then made a DVD from it.

Still I’m thankful for CineFilipino for releasing these classic films on DVD….

Next to watch:   Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang

« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2007 at 01:09 AM by rse »