Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 500279 times)

Offline jdv1229

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #1770 on: Oct 24, 2007 at 06:27 AM »
Insiang was transferred using the newly subtitled 35mm print screened at the last year's New York Film Festival. as for the special features, there's no other existing behind the scenes documetary footage available. there wasn't any end credit sequence at all. THE END was flashed on the screen for a short while and that was it. if you'll notice, the opening credit sequence was quite long which included all the names of the people who worked on the film. you cannot compare the digital remastering made for Hollywood films... all they do is to make the quality comparable to DVD standards depending on the master copy...
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2007 at 08:59 AM by Jojo Devera »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #1771 on: Oct 24, 2007 at 08:20 AM »
I remember the ending titles flashing and just disappearing too, in New York.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1772 on: Oct 24, 2007 at 08:23 AM »
Just watched Manoro and Foster Child. Interesting contrast--I agree with oggs, I like Manoro better, but the beginning titles kind of offended me--suggested that Aeta culture is so inferior that their lack of familiarity with the dominant language, Tagalog, is considered 'ignorance.' Things are more complicated than that, I think.

That said, the film itself is excellently ambivalent. Same with Foster Child--it starts out coming off as a propaganda piece on foster care, then moves on to be something a little more.

They're not bad. Mendoza's a welcome new voice--a kind of Kiarostami/Herzog filmmaker/storyteller.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1773 on: Oct 24, 2007 at 12:35 PM »
Just watched Manoro and Foster Child. Interesting contrast--I agree with oggs, I like Manoro better, but the beginning titles kind of offended me--suggested that Aeta culture is so inferior that their lack of familiarity with the dominant language, Tagalog, is considered 'ignorance.' Things are more complicated than that, I think.

That said, the film itself is excellently ambivalent. Same with Foster Child--it starts out coming off as a propaganda piece on foster care, then moves on to be something a little more.

They're not bad. Mendoza's a welcome new voice--a kind of Kiarostami/Herzog filmmaker/storyteller.

True, that. My problem with Mendoza is that he gets all the fun and the recognition but he's not the Kiarostami or Herzog (all auteurs with distinct voices) here, it's writer Ralston Jover (and Armando Lao, in the background, with his screenplay writing manual). Having said that, yeah, I'm glad Mendoza's there to make films and make the Philippines a place in the cinema world, and he's just going to get better.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1774 on: Oct 24, 2007 at 03:08 PM »
Doesn't that intro in Manoro bother you, tho? The rest of the film seems so much smarter than that intro.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1775 on: Oct 24, 2007 at 03:16 PM »
Doesn't that intro in Manoro bother you, tho? The rest of the film seems so much smarter than that intro.

Oh, it does... and if it comes from the writer, that's really lousy and insensitive. If the director knew better, he would've started off without that intro (it doesn't matter really in the storytelling); but since the director is such a festival-whore (of course, I'm just assuming), there's much investment on being exotic for foreign eyes that maligning an indigenous seems worth it.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1776 on: Oct 25, 2007 at 12:43 AM »
Insiang was transferred using the newly subtitled 35mm print screened at the last year's New York Film Festival. as for the special features, there's no other existing behind the scenes documetary footage available. there wasn't any end credit sequence at all. THE END was flashed on the screen for a short while and that was it. if you'll notice, the opening credit sequence was quite long which included all the names of the people who worked on the film. you cannot compare the digital remastering made for Hollywood films... all they do is to make the quality comparable to DVD standards depending on the master copy...

Hi Jojo,

CineFilipino releasing Insiang on DVD is one of the best news I've heard all year.   Insiang in any format is a must-have to any serious Pinoy film collector.  I'm not at all disappointed with the transfer especially for a Pinoy movie that old.   I've just recently bought a DVD of Gallaga's original Tiyanak, a fairly newish film, yet the transfer that they used for that DVD is almost unwatchable...so we're pretty fortunate for a great transfer of Insiang....

I remember the version from Cinema One has a slightly longer (but negligible) end credits.  The reason why it stuck to me is because I've read the review below from jigsawlounge, and at the end of the review, the reviewer pokes fun at the film's end credits:

"....The moment when she finally has enough of Tonia's goadings and physical abuse - returning, with interest, the latest of her mother's many vicious slaps - is a corker, setting us up for the terrific closing scenes. Brocka then (drily) rounds off with the very briefest of closing credits - "The End," and a card informing us that make-up was supplied by the firm 'O'Leary'. Because as Insiang soon learns, if you're plotting to bump off your mother's gigolo lover, it's best to ensure your lipstick is always just so.
"

Here's the full article:
http://www.jigsawlounge.co.uk/film/content/view/337/1/
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2007 at 01:47 AM by rse »

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1777 on: Oct 28, 2007 at 07:49 PM »
And Dolphy totally deserved the win. Omen Satanasia is great, and he's the element that holds the entire thing together.

I see you've discovered Video 48's blog as well. It's great seeing all those posters and ads for films we can no longer see, even if it's just for visualizing their moving images in our minds.

Hey John, yup Dolphy's greatest performance in celluloid along with Brocka's ANG TATAY KONG NANAY. Too bad we don't have an archive even for our old film posters.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1778 on: Oct 28, 2007 at 07:51 PM »
Reminiscing 1977 Metro Manila Film Festival. The most controversial year in the history of MMFF and signal the start of Second Golden Age in Philippine Cinema! Thanks again to Kuya Simon of Video 48 for the pics.

« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2007 at 07:56 PM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1779 on: Oct 28, 2007 at 07:53 PM »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1780 on: Oct 30, 2007 at 11:54 AM »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1781 on: Oct 30, 2007 at 07:54 PM »
Just finished watching the CineFilipino release of Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang.  I haven’t seen it in a long time and this latest viewing has left me with a renewed appreciation of this bonafide Pinoy classic.
It’s all about the details of living in a small provincial town: the religious groups, the rituals, the wakes, the funerals, the parents, the kids, the gossips, the intrigues, the rich, the poor and the outcasts….

BTW, I remember the first time I saw this film, Eddie Garcia’s character bothered me a lot.  He’s portrayed as a WOMANIZER with a capital W.  There’s no subtlety in it, almost all of his scenes outside their house involve him and another woman either making out or having sex, or him talking about women he’s having sex with….Even his “link” to Kuala I think is a bit too much…Now it bothered me less…

Speaking of their house, Eddie Garcia/Christopher’s house has beautiful, uncommon architecture.  It’s not Spanish…or your typical “bahay na bato”.

About the transfer, it’s not as clear as Insiang but still it’s very watchable.  The cinematography is great.  The colors are muted and almost sepia but it adds to the charm of the film.  It gives it a time-gone-by look.  It’s exquisitely photographed, especially the scenes in the grass fields….

The aspect ratio is full-frame, 1.33:1 and the subtitles are non-removable like in Insiang.  It doesn’t have any other special features…

« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2007 at 07:56 PM by rse »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1782 on: Oct 31, 2007 at 01:48 AM »
The link to Kuala's what humanizes him, I think; he does feel remorse, even a little, and his anger at his son is a symptom of that guilt (he doesn't want one issue of his loins interfering with the mother of another issue (a failed one)). Too bad Brocka doesn't make more of that--but even then he dealt in drama more than ambiguity. 

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1783 on: Oct 31, 2007 at 09:36 PM »
Just saw Laurice Guillen’s KasaL?  It’s a very well-observed drama about the insecurities of two people who are about to get married.   Although, the twists near the end are a bit predictable though…
I’m surprised to know that this was written by Mario O Hara. 
And, it’s a bit distracting seeing cameos of some famous film people at the wedding ceremony in the end.  It included non other than Lino Brocka himself…

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1784 on: Nov 01, 2007 at 11:22 AM »
Kasal is a few frames short of being an excellent to great film; my problem basically with the ending is that the groom and bride go into the marriage without any trace of lingering doubt. Like that period pre-marriage was therapy to work out kinks in their respective systems. It's kind of more optimistic than I'd have liked.

But it's otherwise a pretty truthful and detailed little film. Impressive debut film for Guillen, I think.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1785 on: Nov 01, 2007 at 04:49 PM »
It's Laurice Guillen's first movie?  It's impressive indeed! It doesn't suffer from the usual "first-time director" syndrome.  It feels like a work of a assured, experienced filmmaker...
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2007 at 04:53 PM by rse »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1786 on: Nov 02, 2007 at 01:23 PM »
Yep. It's another reason why I think Guillen's the Philippines' finest woman filmmaker (to date, anyway).

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1787 on: Nov 03, 2007 at 04:17 AM »
Gangland by Peque Gallaga

This movie’s production design is top-notch.  It made an excellent use of its location, Sta. Cruz and Binondo area….Aside from that I can’t find any other thing that I liked in this fantasy gangster movie.  It’s derivative, at times confusing, pretentious, and overly indulgent.  What makes it worse is that the cast is made up of some of the most uninteresting young actors…Another missed opportunity for Peque Gallaga.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1788 on: Nov 03, 2007 at 01:33 PM »
Not to mention--is there this level of teen violence in Binondo and Sta. Cruz area?

I remember what Danton Remoto said: it emphasized physical pain, which is really the least interesting pain there is. A basically shallow movie.
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2007 at 01:34 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1789 on: Nov 03, 2007 at 04:22 PM »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1790 on: Nov 03, 2007 at 11:11 PM »
Not to mention--is there this level of teen violence in Binondo and Sta. Cruz area?

I remember what Danton Remoto said: it emphasized physical pain, which is really the least interesting pain there is. A basically shallow movie.

Agree, a shallow fantasy movie.  Mostly style over substance...but worse is it's mostly "borrowed" style!

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1791 on: Nov 05, 2007 at 12:51 AM »
Sigaw (The Echo, Yam Laranas, 2004)

I like Sigaw.  It's a well crafted film.  Agree, Jomari didn't look like a menacing policeman.  Another minor thing, I think that they overdid the dressing of the condo building...

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1792 on: Nov 05, 2007 at 12:15 PM »
Going back to Gangland, I'd say a more accurate view of street crime in Manila is Auraeus' Maximo Oliveros. Barely a trace of fantasy, and yet it's far more complex and moving.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1793 on: Nov 06, 2007 at 01:34 AM »
Going back to Gangland, I'd say a more accurate view of street crime in Manila is Auraeus' Maximo Oliveros. Barely a trace of fantasy, and yet it's far more complex and moving.

Agree, I think Maximo's already a classic...

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1794 on: Nov 06, 2007 at 06:15 AM »
Have you seen Auraeus' first short animated film, rse? I like Maximo a lot--heck, I like it better than Brokeback--but that short film I thought was breathtaking, a real original, and most intriguing of all, a fragment of some great vision.

Actually, Tuli, haven't seen it, but I caught a few frames, looks like his way of returning to the territory of that first film. Some of the images are similar.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1795 on: Nov 07, 2007 at 12:20 AM »
Tuli is fascinating.

Booba (Joyce Bernal, 2001)

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1796 on: Nov 07, 2007 at 12:32 AM »
Have you seen Auraeus' first short animated film, rse? I like Maximo a lot--heck, I like it better than Brokeback--but that short film I thought was breathtaking, a real original, and most intriguing of all, a fragment of some great vision.

Actually, Tuli, haven't seen it, but I caught a few frames, looks like his way of returning to the territory of that first film. Some of the images are similar.

I haven't seen his short film, but I have Tuli on DVD (although I haven't seen it yet).  Will check it soon then...

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2007 at 02:04 AM by rse »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1798 on: Nov 14, 2007 at 01:15 AM »
Just saw the DVD release of Jeffrey Jeturian's Kubrador.  It's a great film.  I love those handheld long tracking shots through the narrow streets of a Manila slum area.  It's a very detailed look into the lives of the jueteng operators from the middle operators down to the collectors.  Great nuanced performance by Gina Pareno.  My only "minor" complaint is the ghostly apparition of her son could have been done with a bit more subtlety.   I don’t know why I hate it when filmmakers change neo-realism to magic realism.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1799 on: Nov 14, 2007 at 06:30 AM »
haven't seen this, wouldja believe? Been waiting for jeffrey forever to send me something.