Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 500807 times)

Offline rse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #1800 on: Nov 14, 2007 at 07:28 AM »
haven't seen this, wouldja believe? Been waiting for jeffrey forever to send me something.

I think that it's one of his more technically polished films. My wife bought me a few dvd's from a recent trip to Manila. The DVD transfer is quite good and it's in widescreen.
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2007 at 07:29 AM by rse »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #1801 on: Nov 14, 2007 at 03:46 PM »
It's still not available on dVD here. What's the delay?

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1802 on: Nov 14, 2007 at 08:23 PM »
It's still not available on dVD here. What's the delay?

I think it will be distributed there early next year Noel, at the MoMA from what I've heard.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1803 on: Nov 16, 2007 at 01:32 AM »
Paano Kita Iibigin

This is Joy Bernal’s most dramatic film so far.  That said, there are still a lot of comedic moments in it delivered mostly by the supporting cast members.  I think that the Regine-Piolo pairing is a bit awkward; still they have somehow a weird chemistry together.

A Love Story

I didn’t like much this Maryo J. De los Reyes' glossy ABS-CBN produced movie.  The major reason is that the three leads are just such odd trio.  Aga is too young for Maricel and Angelica is too young for Aga.  I cringed every time I see their intimate scenes.  But the major flaw of this film is the much kept surprise twist in the middle.  The twist serves no purpose at all but act as a major gimmick for the film.   Aside from that the dramatic highlights just went on and on.  There are also a lot of redundant scenes.

That said Maricel is great in this, and Angelica is not bad at all.  I can’t say the same for Aga.  I don’t really like his acting style.

Mark Gil has a small part in this film as Maricel’s ex-husband.  Maricel and Mark’s scenes together seem to belong to another movie all together.  I think I would rather watch more of their story than hers and Aga’s.

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1804 on: Nov 18, 2007 at 11:15 PM »
I think Kubrador is the BEST digitalfilm ever made (a hell lot better than MAXIMO OLIVEROS)...Sana yan ang pinadala sa Oscars and not Maximo

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1805 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 02:45 PM »
Just saw Inang Yaya. Twas okay; the type of film you'd want to watch at your leisure. Not overly melodrmatic and with a few heart-tugging moments. It's really hard to find any faults here, whether in the story, the acting or the direction. A fairly realistic portrayal of a life of a Filipino yaya.
However, am going to be nitpicking and will mention one glaring thing: The use of a G-Liner bus as a provincial bus.
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2007 at 03:37 PM by RMN »

Offline telonistas

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1806 on: Nov 23, 2007 at 05:23 PM »
antipatiko sa daw RMN sabi ng co-director ko ;D. ikaw lang daw ang nakapansin and our AD! no time to make tapal. one of the heaviest day in our 17-day shoot. 3 locations in one day. bamboo bridge/mango plantation, national highway and morong church.

the waiting shed with the bus scene was a logistic nightmare. two cam set-up. crane on one side and a 20 ft. dolly track on the other side. bus has to turn back several times. ang daming motoristang naperwisyo!

morong church shoot was quite hilarious. i found out later that all the background talents used in the mass and funeral scenes all belong to the church of iglesia ni cristo!

please watch maling akala this nov.30-dec2. a lot better than IY, i think. ;D

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1808 on: Nov 24, 2007 at 05:31 PM »
Diav's Encantos is much more enjoyable than Heremias (which isn't saying anything--Heremias is only half complete). Might be his most accessible film in years, since Batang West Side at least.

Is it better than his previous two films? That's a knotty question. But it's a wonderful film on its own, easily one of the best of the year (the best, if it wasn't for We Own The Night...).

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1810 on: Nov 28, 2007 at 07:16 AM »
Kagadanan sa banwaan ning mga Enkanto (Death in the Land of Encantos, 2007)

Philippine premiere in the UP Film Center Videotheque, 11/29/07 at 10 am.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1811 on: Dec 01, 2007 at 04:23 PM »

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1812 on: Dec 02, 2007 at 11:07 AM »
Celso works without production designer and editor on most of his films, and that's a good treat already. I still wish The Kid would go back to the kind of films he used to churn out in the 70's and 80's.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1813 on: Dec 02, 2007 at 04:30 PM »

Offline sinehansakanto

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1814 on: Dec 03, 2007 at 09:57 AM »
Celso works without production designer and editor on most of his films, and that's a good treat already. I still wish The Kid would go back to the kind of films he used to churn out in the 70's and 80's.

I think like Scorsese, Celso should just retire from making movies and focus on rediscovering lost Filipino films, especially the great films that he made during his youth. Old guys can keep making movies until they die, but not everybody can be as lucky as Altman: the well of inspiration can only go so far, and the effects of the depletion of said well definitely shows in the films they produce. While he still has the energy to do so, he should shift his attention and focus on things that require a lot less imagination but produce equally beneficial results.   

Also, I have not forgotten about your movies. I'll mail them as soon as I get out of Oklahoma. They should get to you by Christmas, so treat them as a Pamasko :) I'll also post up a review of Brocka's Cadena de Amor pretty soon, so watch out for that.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1815 on: Dec 03, 2007 at 05:57 PM »
Hey Kuya John, thanks for the update.

Regarding Celso.....you're right. Even the remakes he did in the 90's can't match the greatness of the films he did in the 80's.  I heard The Kid is doing the sequel to SANIB now. Well, if only he could remake again the horror classic PATAYIN MO SA SINDAK SI BARBARA with all the technologies available now, I'll give him a chance.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1816 on: Dec 05, 2007 at 10:57 PM »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2007 at 06:03 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1818 on: Dec 08, 2007 at 11:53 PM »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1819 on: Dec 09, 2007 at 11:04 AM »
Dissecting ATSAY vs. RUBIA SERVIOS by Isagani Cruz. Thanks to Kuya Simon Santos of Video 48.

Undoubtedly, the two best entries in the 1978 Metro Manila Film Festival are Atsay and Rubia Servios.

Atsay is remarkable in several ways. It has a strong social message, aimed at primarily those who forget that maids are also human beings. In the character of Mrs. Anton (Angie Ferro), screenwriter Edgar M. Reyes is able to embody the thousand faults which middle-class housewives are heir to. Atsay can also pride itself on being truly Filipino. Its mood is set by its Pilipino credits (in sharp contrast to the English credits of the other entries). The film deliberately exploits local color, dwelling not only on rural but also on picturesque urban scenes. The story, needless to say, can happen only in the Philippines, where domestics and beerhouses are national institutions. But the most striking thing about Atsay is its cinematography (Romeo Vitug). The slow dissolves, the multiple exposures (such as the brilliant train sequence), the surprising angles, the flawless composition---these border on genius. The cinematography is so extraordinary, in fact, that it covers a multitude of sins. The most grievious sin of all is the ending. In the end, Nelia (Nora Aunor), after having been humiliated, beaten, raped, dehumanized by the vultures of the city, decides to stay in the city anyway in the hope that an impoverished construction worker (Ronald Corveau) will make her live happily ever after. Such ending, while assuring the viewer that human nature is not totally evil, is unmotivated and, in fact, goes against the very theme of the story. For Atsay is the story of how the city dehumanizes, of how human beings become swine (this point is made through blatant symbolism in a shot of Nelia inside a cage-like jeep), of how Manila is a prison (note Vitug’s several shots of cage-like structures). “Atsay” is a story of how individuals are no match against the cruelty of the city. The construction worker, for example, becomes the victim of a construction accident. A young pretty virgin from the province is raped while she’s drugged. A kind-hearted old man is shot down while protesting against exploitation. The ending of Atsay contradicts the film’s affirmations. It would have been much more in keeping with the theme (not to mention the current concerns of the national human settlements program), if Nelia were shown rejecting the city and, in hope, returning to her province for a new life.

Rubia Servios, on the other hand, does not dilute the message. Willy (Phillip Salvador), the son of a powerful and wealthy figure, is portrayed as totally evil, devoid of any redeeming quality. To screenwriter Mario O’Hara and director Lino Brocka, the province is the same as the city. Rubia Servios (Vilma Santos) is raped both in the city and in the country. Rubia kills Willy in the country. Violence unites all places. It is the “unity” of conception, scripting, design, and direction, in fact, that Rubia Servios is superior to Atsay. Lino Brocka does not waste shots in his attempt to create a Filipino classical tradegy. He subordinates everything to the building up of one emotion in the viewer, that of hatred of Willy. So despicable does Willy become at the end that, when he is murdered by Rubia, no viewer can say that Rubia is at fault. And yet, morally speaking, no one is allowed to take the law into his own hands. The law, in fact, put Willy in prison for the first rape. There is no reason to think that the law will not put Willy to death for the second rape. By conditioning the reader to condone Rubia’s revenge, Brocka succeeds in questioning one of our deeply-rooted moral beliefs.
The unity that characterizes Rubia Servios contrasts sharply with the tendency of Eddie Garcia in Atsay to exploit Vitug’s versatility even at the expense of tightness. There are shots in Atsay, for example, which could easily be cut without hurting the film’s integrity. Even the train sequence, one of the best sequences in Atsay, is far too long.

Rubia Servios is Lino Brocka’s film; Atsay is Romeo Vitug’s. Nora does an excellent acting job; but so does Vilma Santos, and Rubia is a much more demanding and difficult role. Edgardo M. Reyes is an established literary figure, but Mario O’Hara is much better screenwriter. Overall, Atsay may be much more impressive than Rubia Servios. In terms of challenging our moral and legal convictions, however, Rubia Servios is much more significant.

Isagani Cruz
TV Times 1979

I remember vividly my cousins howling with protest and furious with anger, throwing cups with coffee at our tv set while watching the awards night because they thought Vilma was rob by Nora! ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2007 at 11:53 AM by keating »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1820 on: Dec 09, 2007 at 01:39 PM »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1821 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 05:14 AM »
Can't read that till I see it, oggs.

Didn't realize Isagani Cruz was such an O'Hara fan. Brocka yes--almost everyone except Joel David loves Brocka--but O'Hara, I gotta sit up and take notice. Writes well, too, unlike a certain so-called critic from a well known daily.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1822 on: Dec 11, 2007 at 02:22 PM »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1823 on: Dec 18, 2007 at 01:39 AM »
One More Chance (2007)

We went to see this latest Cathy Garcia-Molina offering through a special screening sponsored by the officers of the Filipino community here.  I’ve only seen two of her films, one I really liked (You Are the One) and one I tolerated (You Got Me).  “One More Chance” seems to belong in the middle.  I don’t like it as much as "You Are the One" but I like it more than "You Got Me".  The start is pretty strong.  It’s funny and playful (I also like it that the movie is more sexually frank than your usual Pinoy young romance movies) although as the film went on it became more and more serious and by the end of it was just so tedious to watch.   Almost 70% of the movie involve some form of crying, involving at least one of the leads.  I haven’t seen a man cries as much in a movie as the character played by John Lloyd.  Most of these scenes are done with close-ups.  Lastly I don’t understand the need to include a blind character if it’s not used for anything than showing a t-shirt that says that “Love is Blind”.  If you’re into a Hollywood-style tear-jerker about middle class yuppies this might appeal to you,  else, rent it on DVD.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1824 on: Dec 18, 2007 at 06:33 PM »
BROKEN MARRIAGE reviewed by Isagani Cruz:

Broken Marriage is Ishmael Bernal’s best film since his ill-fated Manila by Night/City After Dark (1980). In fact, Broken Marriage is - in the sense the term is used by painters - a detail from the huge canvas of City After Dark.

The theme of this latest masterpiece from the Master is simple: the emotional violence in a marriage mirrors the physical, political, and social violence of the city, City After Dark gave a bird’s eye view of the city, Broken Marriage looks at the city through the eyes of a worm.

The violence in the marriage of Christopher de Leon and Vilma Santos is obvious enough. He is conscientious, compassionate, successful police reporter who is just about to be promoted. She is a conscientious, liberated, determined TV floor director also about to be promoted. They are, in other words, alike. Like poles repel, goes the age-old adage from physical science, and these two career-conscious individuals have no time for each other. He spends his leisure hours reading or catching up on videotaped films. She spends her time on the telephone, making her home an extension of the studio. Bernal cleverly places an issue of Time magazine always within reach of de Leon. The director is saying that time is what is just beyond the reach of these two persons who are in love, not with each other, but with themselves. In fact, their very similarity (they are both sloppy in dressing, in fixing their things, in working habits) points to what must have made them fall in love in the first place: they both see themselves in each other.

To say that the two persons are “incompatible” is to miss a lot. They are, in fact, extremely compatible, because they look, think, and act the same. They both want the marriage to revolve around themselves. They both want fame and fortune. They both want to be loved by the children, but not to spend time loving them. They are both stubborn, yet forgiving. They are both faithful to each other, almost to a fault, yet they cannot stand each other.

Is Bernal saying that marriages can never work if the two partners are equal in every respect? Is he saying that only a male chauvinist marriage can work, where the man works all day and the woman stays home? Or is he subtly suggesting that marriage itself as an institution is an anachronism in a rapidly-changing world? There will be various interpretations of this film, depending on one’s own perception of one’s own marriage. But disagree or not, viewers cannot fail to see what Bernal’s underlying thesis is - that the violence in urban, middle-class marriages is caused by violence outside the house. The home is the center that has failed to hold together. The city is the world that has become “broken.”

Bernal cleverly shows that he is interested not only in a marriage, but in the city, when he lets his background seep into the interstices of the plot. In the first sequence, for instance, de Leon is watching Bonnie and Clyde on videotape, an obvious hint that Broken Marriage will also be about love in a violent setting. In Bonnie and Clyde, if you recall, the two lovers - having rediscovered each other - are mercilessly mowed down by law enforcement officers. Similarly, the marriage in Broken Marriage is “mowed down” by the lawlessness of society.

Again and again, Bernal includes violent news from outside of the home. Rod Navarro’s voice is heard talking about the Middle East war. A bank shoot-out is headlined by de Leon’s paper. During the climactic break-up scene, The Greatest American Hero is showing; in that series, the hero needs extraterrestrial help to combat crime in the modern world. The registration scene in the university shows the lack of discipline that pervades Manila. If the city is not disciplined how can a small family be?

Sprinkled throughout the screenplay are derogatory remarks against institutions noted for their lack of discipline - MERALCO (taping is hurried because of an impending brown-out), MWSS (Santos refuses to pay a bill for water since there has been no water in her neighborhood for months), the Ministry of Public Highways (streets are described and shown to be full of diggings), the police (who are asked by de Leon to “salvage” or murder a Chinese prostitution kingpin), movie actresses (one star fails to appear for a song number), movie producers (Orestes Ojeda’s only object is to sleep with Santos), and, most appalling of all, politicians (personified by a fictional mayor who points a revolver at de Leon). In short, this is City After Dark all over again, but with more subtle, probably more lasting, effect.

The ending has been criticized by a couple of reviewers. It is true that the beach sequence smacks of commercialism. All’s well that ends well, and all that. But City After Dark, we may recall, also ends on such a happy note. We may disagree with Bernal’s perception that there is always hope left for man, woman, and the city, but we cannot disallow him his views. In other words, most of us agree that the broken marriage can be mended, but Bernal thinks so, and his films have all ended on such an up-note. I personally would rather see a darker, more realistic ending, but Bernal would not be Bernal without his happy endings. It’s not a completely happy ending, anyway. Two sequences before the beach scene, Bernal films the wedding scene in a haze, as though he were saying that whatever follows the wedding is mere romance. It is like Bonnie and Clyde. The gansters dream of a happy life together, spinning romantic castles in the air. But as soon as it is time to go out into the real world, violence is right there at the doorstep. The ending is filmed as a romantic interlude, but the reality is waiting around the dark corners of the city, like the mayor’s goons who cannot stand the thought that someone is finally about to tell the truth.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1825 on: Dec 18, 2007 at 06:43 PM »

A Bond that Smothers and Smolders

by Joselito Zulueta

Sine Manila - 1983

BROKEN MARRIAGE comes as a second wave to the noisy ripple created by Vilma Santos’s award-winning performance in Relasyon. The Regal people have banged their bongos so much harder this time that viewers will expect that Ms. Santos’ cards for this year’s awards derby will be more than secure. The hint is that Broken Marriage is a Vilma Santos movie. Lest the moviegoer expect too much from this year’s quadruple winning best actress, he should be forewarned that the movie is about, well, a broken marriage.

After more than 10 years of marriage, two young persons find each other repugnant. Ellen is a television

floor director who hops from one set to the other shooting sitcoms and soaps. Her husband, Rene, complements her rapid lifestyle in investigative reporting. The movie commences with Ellen coming home in the morning from overtime with a crew party on the side. Rene greets her with an ugly nag. The house turns topsy-turvy as they proceed to hurl invectives against each other. The exchange is extremely exhilarating; and just as the viewer breathes a sigh of relief, another quarrel starts and ensues as if it were the final assault.

Eventually, they decide to separate at the cost of their boy’s understanding nod and their little girl’s distaste. Rene moves to a house populated with such absurd characters as an artist who carves sexy sculptures, a friendly bit-part actor, and a gay art director who cuddles the upstart. Ellen, meanwhile, has to see to it that the children are not left out in their school activities - even standing as an athletic parent during one of her boy’s scouting engagements. She also has to check the advances of her bodyache-complaining producer, to whom she later gives in anyway.

Gradually, the two people realize the great loss that comes with division. Ellen, with the two children, is forced to move to her mother’s place after her house is burglarized, thus realizing the difficulty of an unmanned house. Rene substitutes a whore in the absence of his wife’s caresses. It is when Rene gets beaten up by a city mayor’s goons for nearly publishing a detrimental article and is constrained to recuperate in his mother-in-law’s house that the couple starts patching up the seams of the rent relationship. The ending is of course happy: reconciliation, what else?

Comparisons dawn inexorably: how does Broken Marriage fare as a follow-up to the bravura of Relasyon? This is tough inquiry. If intentions were to be the starting point, then the new movie is a better achievement. Relasyon, judging from its title, was supposed to be about a man and other woman relationship; but the feminist tendencies of our cinema had pinned the movie to a fateful drift: the travails of the modern mistress. Broken Marriage never swerves from its goal; from start to finish it is a portrait of two persons and the bond which they discover smothering and smoldering.

But the ordinary moviegoer does not assess by artist’s intentions - he does not even care about the artist (I mean here the one behind the work. On one hand, the film in front of him is the present; and on the other hand, it is the past. Broken Marriage is made to appear to him as a sequel to Relasyon. The process of integrating the past and the present is a challenge for him. For him are opened two avenues: to start with past and proceed with present; or start with present and proceed with past. If he chose the former, the condemnation for Broken Marriage would clang like a wild cymbal. If he chose the latter, the outcome is a laudatory comment).

Nonetheless, one has to prove that the new movie can stand on its own feet. What Relasyon sadly lacked (albeit not too sadly) was humor. Broken Marriage has tons of it - the caustic swaps, the funny characterizations, the clever plottings - so that the audience’s conditioned response for a supposedly serious movie shifts irrevocably to playful irreverence. Vintage Ishmael Bernal.

It is a masterly stroke - the proverbial Bernal sleight-of-hand at work, this time with more gusto and style. If the Inquisition were still around, he would be branded and burned seven times as a heretic for turning a marriage gone sour into an off-beat frolic suddenly turned sweet - at least, to the viewer’s mirth-hungry belly.

But none may claim that Bernal’s treatment loses its mark of delineating the disadvantages of separation. The humor chisels the message so that it comes to us shining and double-edged, while doing its duty of alleviating an otherwise gloomy impression which accompanies every disillusioning subject matter.

Not only does it come through humorously but also simply. Nowhere is the strain which anyone expects from grave subjects present here. It is as if the dreary topic had been borne on the Lord’s shoulders so that the yoke - and audiences love to be martyrs of maudlin tears - becomes, this rare time, light and easy. The scene where Rene visits his family and finds Ellen and the children agitated by the swift burglary of the house, and the producer wrily comments “Mahirap talaga ang walang lalaki sa bahay”(It’s difficult to have no man in the house) is casual but very biting so that the urgency of the hero returning to his gamily throbs mercilessly like a set clock.

In the same way, Bernal shows Ellen’s retrospective mood minus the conventional flashback: her younger sister is engaged to be married, and Ellen watches the two lovebirds running like children, with a bright but painful smile, even with jealousy, knowing that after the ceremonies, the two will lose the innocence which tradition stifles. This is a repetition of the technique Bernal used in Relasyon - the mistress attending the wedding of her cousin - with just the same effect, namely, sympathy.

The screenplay plunges right into the boiling point, the issues hurled to the foreground like machine-gun fire, the familiar scenes of hatred and division treated like aimless confetti so that the audience neither breathes nor is excused. It jolts us at the outset and after the terrible whipping, when the squabbles lessen and finally ebb into peace, we realize that these two handsome people must have had only one tragic flaw: they did not keep mum for a while.

Manolo Abaya’s cinematography dances with the jetstyle rhythm of the two protagonists. From the clever blocking of the morningjumble scenes to the hurried bustle of the television studio, Abaya’s camera sweeps avidly and flawlessly. In his hands, the incessant quarrels of Rene and Ellen seem like a vengeful lovemaking. The long shots, conventions of a Bernal, are more developed here. Above all, Abaya’s camera has humor and pathos.

The production design never digresses from its limited scope but manages to make poetry out of cluttered rooms and artificial television set-ups. The claustrophobia one feels at the outset of the movie with the couple’s disorderly room easily renders the hopelessness of the two people’s situation. The music filters the emotions of the characters with a detached but effective air. Jesus Navarro’s splendid editing is a breathless canvass of cosmopolitan animation.

The supporting actors are remarkable. Spanky Manikan as a loony reporter getting loonier everyday must not be denied mention; so with the actors who play the sculptor and the gay art director. Lito Pimentel as the gay’s idol is a relaxed performer with a talent for effortlessness.

Christopher de Leon endows the character of Rene with the right sense of machismo and basic weakness. When Rene is compelled to act maturely, De Leon unflinchingly turns him even more childish with useless tantrums; and when Rene finally learns his lesson, De Leon adds a boyish smile as if the lesson were amusing. We watch De Leon, elated and entertained: he is never so old as to appear too distant nor is he too young as to seem undocile. Broken Marriage is a gift to this actor. He is not propelled here to be more manly; since his character is made to contribute to a lot of oversights, De Leon’s doesn’t have to put a mask of strength: he just has to be himself and act with ease.

Vilma Santos is not about to be a letdown, not this time when the most important female roles are coming her way. A new intelligence she infuses in the character Ellen. Like De Leon, she turns Ellen into a woman-child, but the stress is less on her part as she has done similar roles before. Her beautiful face is flush receptive: the quiet moments of just observing the people around her are moments of perfect acting. Her body moves with an agility that is both funny and dramatic. Her two monologues - the first with her friends in the cafe when she informs them that she is bored, and the second with Rene when she tells him that they are not children anymore - are her best scenes: the camera lingers upon her countenance and she enunciates in return with ironic ease. She should watch out for next year’s awards race - there is simply no stopping her at the moment.

« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2007 at 06:50 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1826 on: Dec 19, 2007 at 03:29 PM »
I forget Manolo Abaya lensed this one. He along with Vitug and Lacap and Baltazar pretty much defined the look of '70s Philippine cinema.
« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2007 at 03:30 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1828 on: Dec 20, 2007 at 04:49 PM »
I forget Manolo Abaya lensed this one. He along with Vitug and Lacap and Baltazar pretty much defined the look of '70s Philippine cinema.

Manolo lensed some of Bernal films in the 80's. He could have made Marilou's directorial debut TANIKALA but he was more inclined to photography than filmmaking.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked: