Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 501020 times)

Offline oggsmoggs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #1890 on: Mar 17, 2008 at 11:23 PM »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #1891 on: Mar 20, 2008 at 11:18 AM »
Is that available online, oggs? I swear, I've waited years (four to be exact) for Tikoy to mail me a copy...

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1892 on: Mar 20, 2008 at 01:48 PM »
Is that available online, oggs? I swear, I've waited years (four to be exact) for Tikoy to mail me a copy...

I'm not sure if it's available online but it's out on DVD here (you can get it for P100 or P150). If you can't find a copy, I'll be glad to mail you mine.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1893 on: Mar 20, 2008 at 02:43 PM »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1894 on: Mar 21, 2008 at 11:33 AM »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1895 on: Mar 23, 2008 at 01:57 PM »
It took long enough for him to bring it to video...I'll see if I can get it on my own...

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1896 on: Mar 31, 2008 at 11:11 AM »
Finally saw Brocka's SANTIAGO. I like the scope of it. Given a large budget and a good ensemble cast, the master filmmaker can still deliver. Hollywoodish in a sense that the movie has pure heart and vision.

Mike de Leon's ALIWAN PARADISE a segment of the omnibus SOUTHERN WINDS is pure fun, a genuine brilliant satire look at the two doomed characters of Brocka's MAYNILA SA KUKO NG LIWANAG.

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1897 on: Mar 31, 2008 at 11:12 AM »
Video 48 has a copy of Santiago?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1898 on: Mar 31, 2008 at 11:26 AM »
I prefer SANTIAGO over TINIMBANG KA NGUNIT KULANG on repeated viewings.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1899 on: Apr 03, 2008 at 11:37 PM »
Just saw Sockie Fernandez' Gulong (The Bicycle).  If you like Magnifico you'll probably like this movie. It's lighter than Magnifico.  It's a very lovely film.  The colors are vivid; it's almost like a fairy tale.  I have a few quibbles though.  The bike that they used looks newer than its age.  I just can’t make myself accept that it's in such good shape given its age when it's just lying outside the house, exposed to the elements.  The movie sometimes tends to be too sugary for my taste.  The three lead kids are good enough although none of them acts as natural as the kid who was in Magnifico.  Their "struggles" sometimes just resolved too conveniently.  Some of the jokes also seem forced.  Aside from that it's a nice little film.  Actually come to think of it, I think that it's closer to Inang Yaya than Magnifico.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1900 on: Apr 04, 2008 at 04:01 AM »
Saw Clodualdo del Mundo's Pepot Artista.  It's a great film.  It’s funny, nostalgic and features a standout performance from its lead child actor.  You have to see it to believe it.  It’s so atypical of the usual child star acting we see in Pinoy movies.  It’s simply a joy to watch him.  It also helps that he’s surrounded by equally talented ensemble of fine actors. Also the film is excellently written and directed.  The other technical aspects of the film are also excellent.  Lastly Guy and Pip fans will be in heaven watching this film -- so will the local film geeks.  Too bad it’s in digital; imagine if this was filmed using film.  In any case this is one of the best films I’ve seen recently.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1901 on: Apr 10, 2008 at 01:18 AM »
Saw Jose Javier Reyes' Sakal, Sakali, Saklolo.  Not as good as the original but still very entertaining.  Gina Pareno is still hilarious...Some gripes...I usually like Freddy Webb (especially in the long-running sitcom Chicks-to-chicks) but here, he's just awful.  And  I pity the non-actor who played Judy-Ann's young step-brother who's used mainly for comic relief.  I'm still very much recommending it, it's a lot better than your usual Pinoy comedies.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1902 on: Apr 10, 2008 at 12:00 PM »
Am informed that a tell-all Dolphy bio will be out soon...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1903 on: Apr 10, 2008 at 01:33 PM »
Saw Jose Javier Reyes' Sakal, Sakali, Saklolo.  Not as good as the original but still very entertaining.  Gina Pareno is still hilarious...Some gripes...I usually like Freddy Webb (especially in the long-running sitcom Chicks-to-chicks) but here, he's just awful.  And  I pity the non-actor who played Judy-Ann's young step-brother who's used mainly for comic relief.  I'm still very much recommending it, it's a lot better than your usual Pinoy comedies.

How's Ariel Ureta in this film? He was so comically brilliant in the omnibus trilogy ZOOM ZOOM SUPERMAN & SI POPEYE ATBP back in the early 70's.

GULONG will be a future classic, its MAGNIFICO meets STAND BY ME in more light-hearted manner. Its the kind of film that you'll revisit more often to remember the good old days of your childhood life.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1904 on: Apr 10, 2008 at 11:51 PM »
How's Ariel Ureta in this film? He was so comically brilliant in the omnibus trilogy ZOOM ZOOM SUPERMAN & SI POPEYE ATBP back in the early 70's.

GULONG will be a future classic, its MAGNIFICO meets STAND BY ME in more light-hearted manner. Its the kind of film that you'll revisit more often to remember the good old days of your childhood life.

Ariel Ureta played it straight (no obvious comedic moments for him) and  I think he played it effectively.
Gulong I like, but I have some reservations.  I don't think it's as good as Magnifico though.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1905 on: Apr 18, 2008 at 05:37 PM »
Possible spoilers ahead…
Saw Tata Esteban’s Alapaap.   It’s basically a revenge ghost story hallucinated by an amateur junkie scriptwriter. There’s a lengthy song number at the beginning that’ surreal and bizarre.  The whole story doesn’t really make sense but since it’s mostly dreamt it doesn’t seem to matter.  I didn’t really like it because I usually don’t like movies that turns out to be just a dream in the end.  In any case there were a few nice creepy scenes and it doesn’t hurt the ghost is quite a beauty.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1906 on: Apr 20, 2008 at 11:18 PM »
Saw Joey Gosiengfiao’s Bomba Star.  It’s a mix of melodrama, slight satire and camp.  Alma’s never looked so beautiful.  Features a least one or two outrageously executed scenes.  Be warned though, it's tamer than what the title suggests.
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2008 at 11:19 PM by rse »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1907 on: Apr 21, 2008 at 03:03 AM »
Managed to see the uncut version of the Mike de Leon's classic Kisapmata.  Prior to this I’ve only seen the Cinema One version.  I haven’t seen this for a while so I don’t really know exactly which scenes are not included in the Cinema One version.  I think the two dream sequences are two of them, also the motel scene, and I think some scenes from Los Banos.  One of the dream sequences seems to be an obvious homage to the Shining, so is the “date” chapter labels.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1908 on: Apr 21, 2008 at 09:21 AM »
a couple of key scenes were shortened for Kisapmata's theatrical release... the sequence where Vic Silayan was inside Charo Santos' bedroom after she told her parents about her pregnancy, while the motel room scene was completely deleted...

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1909 on: Apr 22, 2008 at 11:46 AM »
The ending I think was severely cut for the Cinema One version.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1910 on: Apr 22, 2008 at 02:22 PM »
The dream sequence with Charo walking out of her room with water gushing down the stairs was taken out of the final release if am not mistaken. That sequence, btw, was shot using water poured from buckets!
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2008 at 02:25 PM by RMN »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1911 on: Apr 24, 2008 at 09:24 AM »
That dream sequence was inspired by The Shining or so I hear. Funny thing is that I think Kisapmata need not apologize to Kubrick's film at all for the homage--stands up to it very well even with (or, more remarkably, despite its) infinitely smaller budget.
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2008 at 09:25 AM by Noel_Vera »

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1912 on: Apr 24, 2008 at 09:42 AM »
I think I remember seeing the uncut Kisapmata on Cinema One years ago---well, the one with the motel and the room scene. I wonder why would they cut the room scene if it only carried certain innuendoes? I would understand the censorship of the motel scene since it was kind of blatant.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1913 on: Apr 25, 2008 at 05:04 AM »
Agree...I love The Shining but I much prefer Kisapmata to it.
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2008 at 05:04 AM by rse »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1914 on: Apr 26, 2008 at 11:53 PM »
Just finished watching Lino Brocka's White Slavery.  It's far from being one of Brocka's best (the story is too familiar and execution is uninspired) but still it's very watchable. As expected the acting is better than usual.  Jacklyn and Sarsi are great as always (I don't know the 3rd girl) but so are Rickey Davao and the old lady who owns the brothel house (I didn't get her name but she looks familiar).

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #1915 on: Apr 27, 2008 at 02:06 AM »
White Slavery may not be first tier Brocka but it's a lot better than most of the films shown in 1986.. Emily Loren was the other girl and Tita de Villa played the owner of the brothel...

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1916 on: Apr 27, 2008 at 09:35 AM »
Not quite as good as Bagong Hari.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1917 on: Apr 27, 2008 at 06:43 PM »
SOFIA was digging a couple of months ago at the UP Film Center the 35mm print of KISAPMATA. But the archive has been closed for more than 3 years already.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1918 on: Apr 27, 2008 at 09:53 PM »
Possible spoilers ahead...

I've finally seen Laurice Guillen's Init sa Magdamag.  I like it but I still prefer her Salome. What did I like?  Dindo Fernando. I haven't seen him play this kind of character before.  It's so out of his character, and the gamble paid off.   Lorna's great as well carrying the movie on her shoulder.  I also think that this is one of Joel Torre's greatest performances.   Aside from that, I also love the theme song.  Was it written specifically for this movie??  Some quibbles....  I think that the "modeling shoot" in the middle of the film went on for too long, so was the seduction dance/striptease scene (also the songs used to accompany them dated the movie).   I didn't buy the "multiple characters" angle.  It doesn't feel real; more of a "clever" devise than anything.  The sex scenes are well-done but the absence of flesh distracted me a little bit.  I would prefer to see a more flesh in these types of movie.  I didn't like the ending sequence; I think it's clumsily done.  Although I love the freeze frame last shot in the end.
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2008 at 09:57 PM by rse »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1919 on: Apr 27, 2008 at 10:19 PM »
Some great news.  Saw this at Kabayan Central today.

Bakit Bughaw Ang Langit?
http://www.kabayancentral.com/video/others/cpotbbal.html
I've seen this and this is one of Mario O Haras' best.  Also one of Nora's.

Kastilyong Buhangin
http://www.kabayancentral.com/video/others/cpotkbuhangin.html
I haven't seen this one but I've heard good things about it.
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2008 at 10:20 PM by rse »