Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 499775 times)

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #1920 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 12:59 AM »
Some great news.  Saw this at Kabayan Central today.

Bakit Bughaw Ang Langit?
http://www.kabayancentral.com/video/others/cpotbbal.html
I've seen this and this is one of Mario O Haras' best.  Also one of Nora's.

Kastilyong Buhangin
http://www.kabayancentral.com/video/others/cpotkbuhangin.html
I haven't seen this one but I've heard good things about it.

As well as T-BIRD AT AKO. Also released along with the two mentioned.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #1921 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 07:03 AM »
I like Salome--Guillen's directing is fluid and lyrical here--but it still feels to me like Ricky Lee's umpteenth remake of Rashomon.

Init should properly be sung to you in a karaoke bar by the tres beautiful writer of the film, Racquel Villavicencio. Terrific singer, and sexy as hell. I swear, I stood at full attention during the performance. Literally. ;D

Lorna was well-endowed in this film because she was pregnant when shooting.

And it isn't quite a 'multiple character' film. The theme is something more basic--goes to the very nature of women, and man-woman relations. Hint: she's not meant to be seen as psychologically abnormal. And it's not too different from The Story of O.
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2008 at 07:05 AM by Noel_Vera »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1922 on: Apr 29, 2008 at 12:51 AM »
I like Salome--Guillen's directing is fluid and lyrical here--but it still feels to me like Ricky Lee's umpteenth remake of Rashomon.

Init should properly be sung to you in a karaoke bar by the tres beautiful writer of the film, Racquel Villavicencio. Terrific singer, and sexy as hell. I swear, I stood at full attention during the performance. Literally. ;D

Lorna was well-endowed in this film because she was pregnant when shooting.

And it isn't quite a 'multiple character' film. The theme is something more basic--goes to the very nature of women, and man-woman relations. Hint: she's not meant to be seen as psychologically abnormal. And it's not too different from The Story of O.

I've heard somewhere that Rickey Lee's early draft of Salome was linear, classical form and that it's also great!  Maybe he saw Rashomon when he was finalising it and was inspired by it...Did he write, Itanong Mo Sa Buwan?  That's very Rashomon-like as well.  Salome is very atypical Guillen movie. It's lyrical and visual. It's like Celso Ad Castillo directed it but you know that it's not his because the narrative is a lot more cohesive.

Racquel Villavicencio...Is she the Mama San in Prosti?  If so, she's also a terrific actress..!

Yes I've noticed that Lorna's were very "big".  I was telling my wife that I didn't remember hers being that big...She's so lovely in this picture....

« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2008 at 12:56 AM by rse »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1923 on: Apr 29, 2008 at 01:14 AM »
BTW having just watched Kisapmata, the incest story in Austria that's all over the headlines right now reminded of it again...What a coincidence...Poor family...
« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2008 at 01:15 AM by rse »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1924 on: Apr 29, 2008 at 04:59 AM »
Oh, she's an excellent actress. Incredibly sexy, but the camera doesn't do her justice. Has a voice like a purring Siamese--sheer velvet.

Itanong is by Bing Lao. Other Rashomon wannabes include Brutal (the Butch Perez version). Karnal has some of that time twisting flavor too, if you think of Charito Solis as the woodcutter.

Offline chalkdust_

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1925 on: May 09, 2008 at 12:27 AM »
If I may, does anyone know where I can acquire proper copies of "Kakabakaba Ka Ba?" and "Itim"? I saw the UP Videotheque advertise for a screening of the latter last May 07 but I wasn't able to watch. I've been dying to watch those two movies but I never could catch them on television. :-[

I'm only just beginning to build a collection of Filipino movie DVDs but have only so far gotten "Ang Tatay Kong Nanay" and I'm planning on getting "Insiang", "Mumbaki" and "Tulad Ng Dati" once I can afford them. That said, are there any great Filipino movies (DVD format) you guys can recommend (comedies very welcome!)?

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1926 on: May 09, 2008 at 01:45 AM »
If I may, does anyone know where I can acquire proper copies of "Kakabakaba Ka Ba?" and "Itim"? I saw the UP Videotheque advertise for a screening of the latter last May 07 but I wasn't able to watch. I've been dying to watch those two movies but I never could catch them on television. :-[

I'm only just beginning to build a collection of Filipino movie DVDs but have only so far gotten "Ang Tatay Kong Nanay" and I'm planning on getting "Insiang", "Mumbaki" and "Tulad Ng Dati" once I can afford them. That said, are there any great Filipino movies (DVD format) you guys can recommend (comedies very welcome!)?

Kakabakaba ka ba DVD is available from Kabayan Central @ USD 29.99 + shipping
http://kabayancentral.com/video/lvn/cplvnkkkb.html
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008 at 01:46 AM by rse »

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1927 on: May 09, 2008 at 07:16 AM »

Peque Gallaga's masterpiece and best film is now available on dvd.....ORO PLATA MATA.

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #1928 on: May 09, 2008 at 08:36 AM »
Peque Gallaga's masterpiece and best film is now available on dvd.....ORO PLATA MATA.

Yeah I just bought it last week, real good film
It runs for more than 3 hours  ;)

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1929 on: May 09, 2008 at 05:07 PM »
Gadzooks!

Wanna learn the art of filmmaking from Celso Ad, Leo Martinez, Rolly Ruta, Manny Morfe, Ed Palmos, Maryo J. et. al? Then prepare to pay 100k a year (or around 8k a month) and enroll at the APFI!

:o

« Last Edit: May 09, 2008 at 05:08 PM by RMN »

Offline chalkdust_

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1930 on: May 09, 2008 at 11:05 PM »
Yes! I followed your link and I do believe I'll be making that purchase next. Thanks!

That one definitely looks interesting. I saw it at Astrovision today.  :) Thanks for the suggestion.

Now where to find Itim and several not quite so serious films like Pepe En Pilar, Pik Pak Boom, Dear Diary, and Halimaw Sa Banga? I know there's talk of searching for and archiving the 'great films'  like the Brockas, Bernals and De Leons (to name a few) but what about the *others*? Surely they're also part of Philippine Film History at the very least to gauge the tastes of people during certain periods in time.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1931 on: May 09, 2008 at 11:44 PM »
Yes! I followed your link and I do believe I'll be making that purchase next. Thanks!

That one definitely looks interesting. I saw it at Astrovision today.  :) Thanks for the suggestion.

Now where to find Itim and several not quite so serious films like Pepe En Pilar, Pik Pak Boom, Dear Diary, and Halimaw Sa Banga? I know there's talk of searching for and archiving the 'great films'  like the Brockas, Bernals and De Leons (to name a few) but what about the *others*? Surely they're also part of Philippine Film History at the very least to gauge the tastes of people during certain periods in time.

You might want to check out TFC Now's Movie Channel: http://now.abs-cbn.com/index-mc.aspx . It's subscription-based, USD 7.95/month.  They have quite a number of Experimental Cinema of the Philippines-produced classics, FPJ movies, a few Brocka's, Bernal's, and O Hara's, etc.  BTW, as far as I know, they have Halimaw sa Banga.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008 at 11:45 PM by rse »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1932 on: May 10, 2008 at 04:31 AM »
Are the films uncut and commercial free?

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1933 on: May 10, 2008 at 12:57 PM »
yes they are uncut (at least the ones I sampled; e.g., Oro Plata Mata clocks at 3 hours and 14 minutes) and no commercial, and the videos are clear.  you can either stream or download them.  the screen size is quite small  @ 320 X 240.
the only negative thing is that the videos are DRM'ed so you won't be able to play them once your subscription has expired.   ;D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008 at 01:04 PM by rse »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1934 on: May 10, 2008 at 03:14 PM »
So it's downloaded and not cable? We get to see great films through a mail slot?

Offline chalkdust_

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1935 on: May 10, 2008 at 03:29 PM »
yes they are uncut (at least the ones I sampled; e.g., Oro Plata Mata clocks at 3 hours and 14 minutes) and no commercial, and the videos are clear.  you can either stream or download them.  the screen size is quite small  @ 320 X 240.
the only negative thing is that the videos are DRM'ed so you won't be able to play them once your subscription has expired.   ;D

so even if i download the film, it'll expire? and the screen size is small?

huh. that's a little steep. still, thanks for the info. i did see halimaw sa banga, zuma, and karnal and i am interested but man!  :-\

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1936 on: May 10, 2008 at 05:07 PM »
The videos are encoded as Windows Media Video (WMV).  If you want it in a bigger screen, you have to connect your PC/laptop to your TV. Basically the video is VCD quality (which is not half bad). Yes, even downloaded movies will expire if you dont have a valid subscription.  I think they have some free movie trailers.  Check them out first to see if the video quality is good enough for you.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1937 on: May 11, 2008 at 02:25 PM »
Just recently revisited Mike de Leon's Itim.  This is a very strong movie for a first-time director. It's elegantly shot.  I like the details of this movies, the lenten season traditions in a small rural town, the ghost medium, the old wooden houses and old furniture. This is a very atmospheric ghost movie, very subtle in its scare tactics.  A classic.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2008 at 02:32 PM by rse »

Offline chalkdust_

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1938 on: May 11, 2008 at 04:18 PM »
^all the more reason to find a copy/screening that elusive film.  :( 

i only read about it in a humanities textbook my brother lent me when i was a freshman in college. the book told about the basic plot and imagery. actually it was the usage of clocks in the design (as it was described in the book) that made me want to see it.

and that was six years ago and i still haven't seen the movie. i wonder if there's a chance that it'll come out in DVD soon...

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1939 on: May 12, 2008 at 01:36 PM »
Just saw the DVD of Ato Bautista's  Blackout.  I didn't like it.  Technically it's very well-made, but it's just plain boring. Is it based from a stage play?  It did feel like it.
Some scenes just went on and on and on. It seems like the director was so in loved with his shots that he's afraid to cut or trim them. A second edit would have helped tremendously.  The running time is only 1 h 30 mins but it felt a lot loooonger. I cannot stand the neighbor with the tatoo (and the symbolism's too obvious).  Robin's kid in this movie is your typical child actor who sing songs his lines.  Too bad because he's such a crucial character in this movie.

P.S. Is it just me, or,  Robin Padilla looks very much like the comedian Tado in this movie??
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008 at 01:41 PM by rse »

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1940 on: May 14, 2008 at 09:27 PM »
So it's downloaded and not cable? We get to see great films through a mail slot?

works the same way as Netflix's "Instant Watch". You can subcribe for a month but you also have the option to pay per view $1.99 for the old movies and $4.99 for the new releases.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1941 on: May 18, 2008 at 06:37 PM »
Recently revisited Mike de Leon's Bayaning Third World.  It's still a great thesis on Rizal's heroism.  I almost forgot how funny this film was.  Same as the last time I saw this, the superficial English accent of the actress who played Josephine Bracken almost spoiled the whole movie for me.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008 at 06:38 PM by rse »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1942 on: May 18, 2008 at 07:24 PM »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1943 on: May 21, 2008 at 06:00 PM »
Cinema
BY SAM L. MARCELO

Pinoy movie showdown
MOVIE REVIEW
When Love Begins
Directed by Jose Javier Reyes

Ploning
Directed by Dante Nico Garcia
WELCOME, FANS, to the most talked about showdown in recent Pinoy movie history! In the blue corner, wearing board shorts and a bikini top, we have When Love Begins, a Jose Javier Reyes romance starring Aga Muhlach and Anne Curtis. And in the red corner, sporting a yellow-blouse-red-skirt combo, is Ploning, Dante Nico Garcia’s movie based on a Cuyonon folk song. Both clock in at 1 hour and 45 minutes; however, only one will survive this head-to-head contest consisting of several arbitrary categories. Let the fight begin!

Judy Ann Santos (L) and Mylene Dizon (R) star in Ploning Title: Let’s say you had no prior knowledge of these two films and were asked to choose which one to watch based solely on their titles. Ploning sounds like a typhoon, fit to be included among the likes of Reming and Rosing. It doesn’t give anything away and you’re left to wonder what it’s about. When Love Begins, on the other hand, has more cheese than France (no offense to the French, who are among the biggest exporters and consumers of the dairy product) and you automatically know what to expect. Ploning wins for being as enigmatic as a Zen koan.

Love Team: Mr. Muhlach goes through much of When Love Begins with a hangdog expression on his face and his boyish charm erases the big age difference between him and Ms. Curtis. They have onscreen chemistry, but the cuteness can get cloying. While we never get to see Tomas, Ploning’s lost love, we do see Judy Ann Santos (who plays the title character) and her affectionate relationship with Digo, a little boy, and almost everyone in the small town of Cuyo. Ploning wins for pulling off a love story without shoving it down our throats.

Story: When Love Begins is a predictable flirt fest between Mr. Muhlach, a lawyer-turned-environmental-activist, and Ms. Curtis, the daughter of a real estate developer. Based on that alone, it doesn’t take a genius to guess what comes next. Figuring out Ploning is harder because it takes its time before revealing its hand. At first you think it’s about Tomas coming back, and then you think it’s about Mylene Dizon’s character stealing Ploning’s queen-bee status, and then you think it’s about female relationships and sisterhood in a Steel Magnolias kind of way. Ploning’s tapestry beats the one-note performance of When Love Begins.

Anne Curtis and Aga Mulach in When Love Begins Soundtrack: What would you rather listen to, prom slow dance songs or Filipino folk music? I found the harmony of voices and guitars on Ploning soothing. As a matter of fact, I’m listening to a version of it right now via YouTube. Adding to the lyrical nature of Ploning is the melody of the Cuyonon dialect. I would never search for any of the songs on When Love Begins; I hear enough of their type in buses and cabs.

Cinematography: Ploning does a great job of showing off Cuyo, Palawan. Shots of beautiful sunsets and rough beaches will entice audiences to head to the island and experience the quiet rural life themselves. The colors on Ploning are also more vibrant; they pop off the screen and make you lean forward. The only thing outstanding about the When Love Begins version of Boracay is how uncrowded it is.

Audience Impact: Overheard while watching When Love Begins, "Ba’t tayo nandito? Wala namang kwento. Sana Ironman na lang pinanuod natin (Why are we here? There’s no story. We should’ve watched Ironman instead)." Overheard in Ploning, scattered chuckles and sniffles at the appropriate moments. Ploning wins for engaging all five of its viewers. When Love Begins also wins for attracting enough people to fill up the theater despite its lack of a story.

Final Decision: The beskirted Ploning knocks out When Love Begins with a sitout three-quarter facelock jawbreaker (better known as a Stone Cold Stunner to wrestling fans).

Offline telonistas

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1944 on: May 23, 2008 at 11:54 AM »
SERBIS (Brilliante Mendoza, 2008)
by Jay Weissberg / Variety Asia Online

Reality Rudely Intrudes in the Screening Rooms - Serbis et al
by A.O. Scott - Cannes Journal/The NYTimes
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008 at 12:01 PM by telonistas »

Offline celinokyle

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1945 on: May 24, 2008 at 04:26 PM »

Isn't this film available in AstroPlus/AstroVision or Odessey? I really REALLY love to have my own copy.

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1946 on: May 24, 2008 at 06:46 PM »
Is there any chance that BAGONG HARI will be released in DVD or VCD?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1947 on: May 24, 2008 at 08:50 PM »

Film Review: 'Serbis'
Bottom line: An engaging domestic drama and stylishly seamy homage to the gay cinema rendezvous.
May 21, 2008
By Maggie Lee
Cannes Film Festival, In Competition

Taking place mostly in a porno theater ironically, yet fittingly, named Family, "Serbis" is part homage to cinema, part intimate domestic drama that vividly details the tangled relations and all-too human frailties of an extended family running a theater in the provincial Philippines.

Director Brillante Mendoza continues the neo-realist vein of "Foster Child" and "Sling Shot" in "Serbis," but displays marked improvement -- both the grunge aesthetic and film language now bear his personal handwriting. To this, he adds some bristling sexuality, both gay and straight.

"Serbis" contains elements of soap opera from popular Philippine cinema and TV, but without any of the froth and lather. Unspooling at an almost real-time pace, with a narrative that is all foreplay and no conventional climax, the film won't win any commercial converts to the Philippine new wave. Festival and art-house bookings are optimistic though.

The film adopts a worldly and tolerant attitude in dramatizing the double standards in operation every day at a porn theater that has involved into a hotbed for rentboys to service gay clients (hence the title, which means "service"). Gena Pareno ("Kubrador") is a towering presence, who puts fire and tears into her multiple roles -- as a wife clenching the bitterness of abandonment, an aggrieved mother feeling betrayed by her children's divided loyalty to their father and the pillar that holds together the tottering family business.

But the theater itself may be the film's real star. Flooded toilets, running sores and steamy sex behind the projector that outperforms what's happening on screen create a dank, dripping texture and festering mood that echo most of Tsai's oeuvre.

The camera explores each nook and cranny of the dilapidated movie-house like an usher who knows his way round blindfolded, and the building, with its richly visual interior structures desperately in need of an overhaul, comes to symbolize poetically the predicament of its inhabitants and their moral ambiguity.

Cast: Gina Pareno, Jaclyn Jose, Coco Martin, Roxanne Jordan. Director: Brillante Mendoza. Screenwriter: Armando Lao. Producer: Ferdinand Lapuz. Director of photography: Odyssey Flores. Production designer: Benjamin Padero, Carlo Tabije. Music: Gian Gianan. Editor: Claire Villa-Real.
Center Stage Prods./Swift Prods.
Sales: Fortissimo Films.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008 at 08:53 PM by keating »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1948 on: May 26, 2008 at 05:37 PM »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1949 on: May 27, 2008 at 05:26 PM »
ISANG GABI, TATLONG BABAE (Elwood Perez, 1973)

The recent Elwood Perez retrospective at U.P. Film Center finally gave the chance to watch the alter ego of the late Joey Gosiengfiao screen one of his early opus from Juan dela Cruz Prods., a company he formed along with Gosiengfiao and Douglas Quijano in the early 70's. As the title entice you to peek into the world of the three loveliest women ever to grace on the silverscreen, the copy was so bad taken from the television broadcast of Sinemax aired from GMA 7 at 9:00 pm every Friday nights. Still it was a rare treat, slick and adding some social commentary particularly on the first two episodes with Pilar Pilapil and how she cope up with her mother reminiscent of a Brocka film that you've seen on the late 70's. Second episode is more intriguing, Boots Anson Roa, in a role nobody could ever imagined would be deflowered wearing only ordinary clothes set in the slums area and how she cope up also with her rebellious son who is against her relationship with her lover. Boots looks beautiful and sensual during her younger days. The final episode deals with a woman falling in love with her stepson played to perfection with Amalia Fuentes and Orestes Ojeda. When Perez' camera starts to linger on Fuentes face, we can't help but to admire and basked in her stunning face, the face that could launch a thousand ships....no angle so to speak of. You will never get tired of that face! Adding some comic relief there's the late Mary Walter playing the lesbian bodyguard of Fuentes. These three women embodies the films of Perez, not only using their bodies but their mind as well to fight for their rights and liberty in a man's world. And Elwood Perez certainly succeeds.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008 at 05:48 PM by keating »