Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 500188 times)

Offline Noel_Vera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #2010 on: Sep 26, 2008 at 12:23 PM »
Y'know my stance. Stealing money from Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise is very naughty, here's your light slap on the hand, please don't do it again. Stealing money from Raya and Lav--that's contemptible, that's low. Like picking a poor man's pocket.

Or stealing my articles and passing them as your own. ;D

Offline sinehansakanto

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2011 on: Sep 26, 2008 at 10:58 PM »
How much money does he actually make out of his movies? The guy's starving, but I highly doubt it's because bootleggers are taking the profits away from him. It's like stealing from a poor man's pocket: the morals are shaky, but the financial gains are even closer to nil. With his films, Lav Diaz took a courageous cinematic stance, the ultimate renumeration for which is being viewed and circulated, not financially compensated.

He makes movies to express artistry and not to make money. The bootleggers are circulating his movies but not claiming authorship. A moral limbo ensues.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2012 on: Sep 27, 2008 at 07:58 AM »
To a starving artist, a centavo looks like a frigging dollar. Every bit counts.

That Paypal idea might actually be good. If the pirates can't be bothered--but hey, if someone can contact them, ask them how much they're making off of it ("hey you know you're actually losing money selling this?"), either they might be embarassed into ponying up or startled into realizing that they're not profiting. Whatever.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2013 on: Sep 27, 2008 at 10:39 AM »
Finishing Bernal's NUNAL SA TUBIG.

Maybe I was just too tired that's why I'm having a hard time finishing it. The milieu is perfect and flawless.

« Last Edit: Sep 27, 2008 at 10:40 AM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2014 on: Sep 28, 2008 at 01:17 AM »
Probably not. I found Nunal pretentious, incoherent, trippy. That said, it's miles better than the Marilou remake.

Offline ciconneguy

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Collector
  • Movies and music make me happy. :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #2015 on: Sep 28, 2008 at 05:15 AM »
Saw this Boyet-Vilma starrer with Anthony Costello, Subas Herrero, and--was that him?--Christian Espiritu among others. Anyone the title and the director?

pakawalan mo ako. tama ba?
It's time for the good times. Forget about the bad times. :)

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #2016 on: Sep 28, 2008 at 10:24 AM »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2017 on: Sep 28, 2008 at 01:18 PM »
EXPLOITATION (Joey Gosiengfiao, 1982)

In the opening scene before Albert Martinez jumped into the real world, we are introduced to the world of seminarians and priests, Martinez soon to be a priest abandoned that world and jumped into the real or what we call the sinful world. Movies of Gosiengfiao have always been undervalued, no matter how you laugh or ridicule his characters, they remained unpretentious, sometimes real and serious.

Here he takes a stab at two serious social issues, rape and murder. Along the way, Albert will meet the mother and daughter team of Charito Solis and Kristine Garcia in a private mansion where sluts roam around owned by Rosemarie Gil as Madam Lotus, think of her as Madam Heidi Fleiss of the 80's. Naturally the two meet during the raid and they hitched in the car of Albert's cousin, Dennis Roldan. To conceal more of the plot will spoil this film. Gosiengfiao's trademark for camp and wicked humor are still here, check out the hilarious death scene of the late Charito Solis, the visual feast where the two lead characters fight at the duck farm, the court room scenes are all added to indulge the viewer on the camp master's world where an ex-seminarian and a stripper can fall in love.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2018 on: Sep 28, 2008 at 02:21 PM »
a private mansion where sluts roam around

I think I've been to that place already, only it was in Daet.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2019 on: Sep 28, 2008 at 02:29 PM »
Probably not. I found Nunal pretentious, incoherent, trippy. That said, it's miles better than the Marilou remake.

It was written by Bernal's soulmate.....Jorge Arago. Much better than their second collaboration SUGAT SA UGAT. Yes, its kinda trippy but definitely better than Abaya's SA PUSOD NG DAGAT.
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2008 at 02:31 PM by keating »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #2020 on: Sep 29, 2008 at 11:07 PM »

Offline ciconneguy

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Collector
  • Movies and music make me happy. :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #2021 on: Sep 30, 2008 at 01:30 AM »
hi oggs! musta na? :)
It's time for the good times. Forget about the bad times. :)

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #2022 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 10:53 PM »
Ang Lihim Ni Antonio

Anyone here seen this? The acting was good and the ending was intense as hell! I will never forget that ending. ever.

8/10

PS: The theme song of this movie was fantastic

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #2023 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 11:24 PM »
hi oggs! musta na? :)

Mabuti naman...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Mel Chionglo
« Reply #2024 on: Oct 05, 2008 at 12:12 PM »
DIRECTOR’S CUT
Easy does it for Mel Chionglo

By Ronald Mangubat
Inquirer

MANILA, Philippines -- Movie insiders agree that Mel Chionglo is one of local cinema’s smartest storytellers. The amiable director of such films as “Lagarista,” “Lahar,” “Xerex,” and “Twilight Dancers,” gets along well with his cast and crew, never shouts, and is very approachable.

Chionglo, who started directing in the early ’80s, describes himself as lenient. “I’m not strict, although I also get mad,” he admits. “But I don’t shout.”
His cool working style has earned him the respect and friendship of his colleagues in the business.

For instance, Maricel Soriano, who worked with Chionglo for seven years in “The Maricel Drama Special,” and screenwriter Ricky Lee, who collaborated with him on his “Macho Dancers” trilogy,” regard the mild-mannered, Ateneo-schooled filmmaker as a close friend.

Friend and classmate

Chionglo started working in films in 1976 when friend and classmate Mike de Leon asked him to be his production designer for his directorial debut, “Itim.” Two years later, Lino Brocka tapped him to write a screenplay for Charito Solis and Lolita Rodriguez, who were then co-starring in Nick Joaquin’s “Larawan,” which was also directed by Brocka. That movie, “Ina, Kapatid, Anak,” opened more doors for Chionglo.

It was Regal’s Mother Lily Monteverde who gave Chionglo his directorial break—“Playgirl,” a domestic drama starring Gina Alajar. The movie wasn’t a hit, but the Regal matriarch didn’t lose faith in Chionglo. She asked him to meg youth-oriented movies starring her coterie of Regal Babies.

Looking back, Chionglo says he started to mature as a filmmaker in “Lucia,” a film produced by the BBC starring Gina Alajar and Lolita Rodriguez. “Among my 40-plus films, that was the least compromised. I’d like to do something like that again. Yun ang maganda sa trabahong ito, hindi ka tumatanda!” Excerpts from our interview:

Among your films, which ones were longest and shortest to make?

The longest was “Dyesebel,” which took two years to make! The shortest was “Twilight Dancers,” which was made in 11 days.

Trilogy

What’s the story behind the “Macho Dancers” trilogy?

In 1994, we toyed around with the idea of doing something for the film fest circuit. Our contact abroad said Filipino films weren’t being shown at international film festivals since Brocka’s “Macho Dancer” became a hit in Toronto. So, we thought of doing “Sibak,” followed by “Burlesk King” and “Twilight Dancers.”

Of the three, “Twilight” got bad reviews. Any reaction?

Ganun talaga. I used to write movie reviews myself, so I know where the critics are coming from. Sometimes, you get good reviews; sometimes, you get bad ones. Doubled-edged kasi ang mga ganyang pelikula. It’s a guilty pleasure. People want to watch it, but they feel guilty about watching it. But, in terms of DVD sales, tumatabo ang “Twilight.”

How was “Twilight Dancers” received in Toronto?

You’d be surprised! The reaction was very positive. It was novel to them, although when I asked around, people said they also have films about their own macho dancers.

Revisions

Do you demand constant script revisions?

In my collaborations with Ricky Lee, by the time we get to the first draft, we have already discussed every detail lengthily.

Whom do you admire among the current young filmmakers?

I love the films of Lav Diaz. I like Dante Mendoza, Ato Bautista, and Nes de Guzman. Marami pa sila.

Brocka or Bernal?

Both of them were my friends! Magkaiba sila. Lino loved rising dramatic action. Bernal was very contemplative. I’d like to have the sensibilities of both, especially the way they translated their politics into film.

Do you have a dream project?

Yes. Ricky Lee has a script that has never been filmed. It’s based on Rizal’s “Noli Me Tangere” and follows the thread of the lovers—Elias and Salome, Maria Clara and Crisostomo Ibarra, and Sisa and her husband. Ang ganda ng pagkasulat! Bagay sa young stars natin.

Advice

Any advice to new filmmakers?

They should ask themselves: Is this a one-time thing, or is this what I want to do for the rest of my life? Am I doing this for self expression, or do I want to touch a wider audience?

How do you describe your filmmaking style?

A member of my staff described it to me: He said if Lino Brocka liked a rising dramatic action, ako naman daw, plateau -- pero pumuputok-putok! Come to think of it, he’s right! (Laughs)

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2025 on: Oct 05, 2008 at 12:25 PM »
Seeing Filipino stars in Paris

By Bayani San Diego Jr.
Philippine Daily Inquirer

PARIS—The cocktail party held in honor of the Philippine delegation at the Paris Cinema International Film Festival was held at La Monnaie hotel near the Notre Dame Cathedral on Friday night.

Described as “elegant and historic,” La Monnaie, according to Lali Suzara, Film Development Council of the Philippines (FDCP) executive director, is one of the hardest to book in all of France. “We were told it could take months,” Suzara said. “Monnaie literally means money.”

Two of the country’s most bankable stars—Sharon Cuneta and Judy Ann Santos—were the main attractions at the Philippine reception. Judai’s fiancé, Ryan Agoncillo, was also present. Needless to say, the trio kept snapshot hunters and other Pinoy fans busy.

Other homegrown celebrities at La Monnaie were: Boots Anson-Roa, Fanny Serrano, Chito Roño, Mark Meily, Olive Lamasan, Malou Santos, Imee Marcos, Bessie Badilla, plus the young independent filmmakers invited to the “Paris Project.”

Welcome remarks were delivered by the heads of the different agencies—Nes Jardin of the Cultural Center of the Philippines; Jacky Atienza of FDCP; Amb. Jose A. Zaide of the Philippine embassy in France—that made the Philippine participation in the French fest possible.

Later that evening, the gala screening of Roño’s “Caregiver” was held at the posh MK2 Bibliotheque cinema. The 650-capacity theater was packed with Filipinos—some coming from as far as Brussels, Belgium.

The French organizers, led by festival director Aude Hesbert and programming consultant Jeremy Segay, were “overwhelmed’ by the turnout, said Suzara.

Camera-toting fans snapped pics of the stars in their ternos—Sharon’s by Fanny Serrano; Judai’s by Paul Cabral and Boots’ by Eddie Baddeo.

“Initially, there was only one security man for Sharon, Judai and Ryan,” Susara said. “Fortunately, they sent more. We heard that a French actress attended the screening of her film the other night but wasn’t mobbed. Jeremy said he hadn’t witnessed anything like this in the festival’s six-year history.”

Retrospective

While the “Caregiver” screening was filled with Pinoys, the screening of Joey Gosiengfiao’s cult classic “Temptation Island” was packed with foreigners that same night, in a smaller cinema at the MK2.

A retrospective of other films (“Katorse,” “Bomba Star” and “Underage”) by Gosiengfiao is being held at the festival. Regal’s Lily Monteverde, producer of the Gosiengfiao films, attended the “Temptation” screening—punctuated with hearty laughter and capped with spontaneous ovation
from the predominantly foreign audience.

Viewers from Romania and Italy congratulated Mother Lily. The Romanian cineastes asked her, “Where are the stars of ‘Tempation’ now? Are all your films this crazy?”

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #2026 on: Oct 10, 2008 at 10:43 PM »
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2008 at 10:44 PM by oggsmoggs »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: To Hell & Back with Lav Diaz
« Reply #2027 on: Oct 12, 2008 at 10:18 AM »
To Hell and Back with Lav Diaz

By Eric S. Caruncho
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 01:47:00 10/12/2008

MANILA, Philippines - When jazz genius Miles Davis asked his saxophone player John Coltrane why his solos were so long, Coltrane is said to have replied:

“Because it took that long to get it all in.”

Lav Diaz might say the same about his films, although in truth the multi-awarded filmmaker is sick and tired of being asked the same question.

Although his films have reaped prestigious international prizes and sent cinephile critics swooning with their uncompromising vision, back home, where Lav Diaz screenings are few and far between, they are better known for their running times than for their subject matter.

His breakthrough film “Batang West Side” (2002) ran a then-unprecedented five hours. Diaz topped this with the epic “Ebolusyon ng Isang Pamilyang Pilipino” (2004) which ran over 10 hours. His next films “Heremias” (2006) and “Death in the Land of Encantos” (2007) clocked in at over nine and ten hours respectively. His latest film, “Melancholia,” which recently won the grand prize in the Orizzonte section of this year’s Venice Film Festival, runs a relatively brisk eight hours, although it might seem a lot longer because of its downbeat subject matter. According to the director, the film is about the deep sadness at the core of the Filipino experience.

These works are not exactly aimed at the YouTube and MTV generation, whose attention span is measured by the length of the average buzz clip. It’s as if Diaz is telling his audience: I’ve suffered for my art—now it’s your turn.

“When people ask me why my films are so long, when I’m in a bad mood I usually just say ‘next question please,’” he says. “When I want to be courteous, I say ‘If you don’t have time, this is not the film for you. But if you value life, if you want to see other perspectives, then immerse yourself in these films.’ You need time to experience cinema and to see life. You have to elevate cinema to the level of poetry and philosophy to realize that it should have no limits.”

In other words, it took that long to get it all in.

Indeed, if there’s any envelope-pushing to be done, then Lav’s your man. A post-modern renaissance man, not even a ten-hour film can contain his creative juices, which spill over into poems and short stories and even songs.

In fact Diaz has just released his first solo album, “Impiyerno: Songs From and Inspired By The Films of Lav Diaz” at the recent .MOV Third International Digital Film Festival.

“It should come with an advisory,” he jokes about the album, which was produced by fellow digital film provocateur Khavn de la Cruz. “If you want to kill your neighbor, play this Lav Diaz album. If you want to catch janitor fish in the Marikina river—Lav Diaz album.”

Actually, he’s only half-joking.

“Impiyerno” is a companion piece to “Melancholia.” Recorded in one four-hour session, mostly in single takes with Diaz accompanying himself on acoustic guitar, the ten death dirges on “Impiyerno” make your average Goth band sound like the Monkees. Played often enough at sufficient volume, it could conceivably drive your next-door neighbor to suicide.

“‘Impiyerno’ is about sadness. It is about the sadness of man’s existence. Quoting one of the characters in my film ‘Melancholia’: ‘Why is there so much sadness and so much madness in this world? Is happiness just a concept? Is living just a process to measure man’s pain? There is no cure to sadness.’ That’s the truth.”

Its lo-fi aesthetic aside, “Impiyerno” is of a piece with Nick Drake’s “Pink Moon,” Neil Young’s “Tonight’s The Night,” anything by the Red House Painters and similar testaments to doom and gloom—music to slash your wrists by.

“Khavn was after me for a long time to record my songs,” says Diaz. “He just sat me in front of a microphone and it was done. It was a moment. Okay lang, ibang angulo naman.”

Most of the songs in “Impiyerno” were written in the last three years, save for “Ina ng Nawawala,” which he wrote on the day Lean Alejandro was killed in 1987.

“Lean became a friend briefly,” he recalls. “I wanted to do a documentary on him.”

Instead, his testament to Alejandro is this song, which foreshadows his preoccupation with the desaparecidos, a recurring theme in his works.

Actually, recording an album isn’t much of a stretch for Diaz. Before he became a filmmaker, his dream was to become a musician.

“I had a band in college in Cotabato,” says Diaz, who was born in 1958 in Datu Paglas, Maguindanao. “There were many bands in Cotabato then (during the late 1970s) because Asin was based there. Saro (Bañares of Asin) was a friend: he lived in Marbel, we lived in Tacurong.”

The nascent Cotabato music scene embraced folk, rock, and eventually punk and Diaz, who was already composing songs by then—in English, Pilipino, Ilonggo and Maguindanao—formed a group called Cotabato. The band played local gigs, for which each member was paid P25 a night, along with a free burger and beer. Their goal was to make it to the rough and tumble Mecca of Pinoy rock, Olongapo City. The game plan was to immerse themselves in the ’Gapo club scene, get good and become the next Juan de la Cruz Band.

“I was going to finish Economics to please my parents, and then go to the UP College of Music,” he recalls. “But in third year college, I got married and my bandmates became preoccupied with girls.”

One night after a gig, Diaz came home with his usual P25 and got into a fight with his wife. It ended with him smashing his fake Gibson guitar to pieces, and that was the end of his musical dreams—for the time being anyway.

“Of course I regretted it the next morning, but it was too late,” he recalls. “I lost interest in the band. I had a child, got a job. I got interested in literature, and then cinema. But I never stopped writing songs and poems. I can’t stop writing songs and poems—they’re the easiest for me to write.”

Diaz counts among his influences the classic triumvirate of the Beatles, the Stones and Bob Dylan, but adds that he also listens to Yoyoy Villame and anything Filipino.

“The creative process is the same in music and in cinema,” he says. “You have a muse, you seek inspiration… My songs and films are the same—very personal. I consider all my works as one work. If you piece them together, it’s one work composed of different stories. It’s the same with my music—they’re moments, the expression of one man.”

For a while Diaz found an outlet in literature. He wrote poems and short stories, eventually winning the Palanca Award. But in the early 1980s, he caught the cinema bug. When he decided that he was going to be a filmmaker, he moved his family from Cotabato to Manila—enrolling in first year Law at the University of the East as a sop to his parents. He began attending film workshops at Mowelfund—then the only avenue for aspiring filmmakers. It was 1983, the year of the Aquino assassination.

“Those were different times,” he recalls. “We were living on Basilio St. in España. There was no digital video then. There were 40 of us in Mowelfund fighting over the one 16mm camera. There were seven 8mm cameras but no film. If you were rich you could buy film but a roll of 16mm film was 80 dollars. It was a dead end.”

To make ends meet, Diaz became a journalist for a time, writing features for Joe Burgos’ Masa and working at the desk of Taliba.

When an opportunity to go to New York came, Diaz grabbed it. He lived the life of a struggling filmmaker while holding down a day job as a journalist for a community newspaper. It was a fertile period that resulted in several films, including what many consider to be his artistic breakthrough, “Batang West Side”.

The critical success of “Batang West Side.” allowed Diaz to return to the Philippines to make films here, but despite the lavish praise heaped upon him by (mostly foreign) critics who consider him the rightful heir to Brocka and Bernal (mainly because of the social and political themes in his films), filmmaking continues to be a struggle—eased somewhat by the advent of digital video.

“Digital is so liberating,” Diaz says. “You can work with this process without fear or limitations, the same with a pen or a brush. You’re free—no producer or studio to tell you ‘hey, you can only shoot five rolls today’ or ‘our film should only be two hours long.’ Those are gone. The process is the same as painting or writing a song. Cinema is liberated with digital, you don’t have to deal with middlemen and businessmen talking about marketing and obscuring the vision of art. Cinema used to be so feudal with all these executives trying to put their hands on your work and at the end of the process you’ve sold your soul to Mother Lily and Vic del Rosario.”

Shooting and editing with digital video has also allowed Diaz to evolve an organic way of filmmaking in which the film evolves and grows from day to day. His Venice Film Festival winner “Melancholia,” for instance, had its beginnings as an entirely different movie about a xenophobic cult.

“The night before we were to leave for Sagada for the shoot, I lost interest in that film,” he recalls. “So when we got there, I started with a blank page.”

Slowly “Melancholia” took shape.

“My experience whenever I go to Sagada is melancholia, deep sadness,” he says. “At the same time, the place calms you and invites contemplation. Happiness is just a concept. The truth is, life is sad, and our everyday struggle is how to get out of this thing, this sadness, this melancholia.”

Diaz would write the script for the next day’s shoot every night. He would discuss the scenes with his actors the next morning over breakfast; they would rehearse and shoot. The film evolved this way over the next two months, taking the crew from Sagada to Laguna and finally Manila.

“They told me I had a slot in the main competition in Venice if I could keep it under four hours. During the shoot, I e-mailed them and told them it was going to run longer than four hours—I couldn’t compromise my aesthetic vision just to be able to join the main competition.”

The resulting film, “Melancholia,” ended up in the Orizzonti section of the festival devoted to art films with no time limit, winning the grand prize. It is scheduled to have its Philippine premiere at the coming Cinemanila Film Festival.

But who’s going to watch it? Won’t the average Filipino audience—weaned on Hollywood special effects and local fluff—stay away in droves?

“To destroy that wall created by the system, you have to alienate them at first, then they will return,” says Diaz. “It’s a long slow struggle. Reeducation isn’t an easy process. You have to recondition their minds that cinema is broader than just fast cuts and color and a lot of adornment.”

“For me, the issue is: if you’re an artist, with the state the country is in you only have one choice—to help culture grow in this country,” he continues. “There’s no time for ego, you have to struggle to help this country. Make serious films that even if only five people watch it, it will change their perspective. You may make big box office but what do the people get out of it? Kinikilig lang sila kay KC Concepcion at Richard Gutierrez. Escapist films only breed ignorance. And we need to destroy that culture of ignorance.”
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2008 at 10:21 AM by keating »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2028 on: Oct 12, 2008 at 10:46 AM »
Escapist films only breed ignorance. And we need to destroy that culture of ignorance.

No truer words have been said.
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2008 at 10:47 AM by indie boy »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2029 on: Oct 12, 2008 at 10:52 AM »
Lav's vision has always been.......take it or leave it. No compromise!

But I still want the man to go back in making 2 hour plus film that's full of his vision and not losing his soul.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2030 on: Oct 12, 2008 at 01:50 PM »
At least with Batang West Side I can't see it cut down to two hours. It needs a big canvas.

Check out Hesus Rebolusyunaryo for a film under two hours. Surprise surprise, it doesn't feel all that diferent...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2031 on: Oct 13, 2008 at 10:08 PM »
Agree with BATANG WEST SIDE. My personal fave of all his films.

HESUS REBOLUSYONARYO has been OOP on vcd and not yet release on dvd. I wonder if Lav has already smoke the peace pipe with Mother regarding HESUS REBOLUSYONARYO.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #2032 on: Oct 14, 2008 at 06:45 AM »
I saw Serbis last night at the New York Film Festival. It's the most repulsive piece of trash I've ever seen. What a waste of talent!

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2033 on: Oct 14, 2008 at 01:24 PM »
Agree with BATANG WEST SIDE. My personal fave of all his films.

Finally, you've seen BWS! Congrats. Hehe. ;D

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2034 on: Oct 14, 2008 at 06:30 PM »
I saw Serbis last night at the New York Film Festival. It's the most repulsive piece of trash I've ever seen. What a waste of talent!

Aside from the superb technical aspects, except perhaps for the bad sound everything was trash. Pure wasted was the talent of Jaclyn Jose. Only saving grace was the dignified character of Gina Pareno. Gina was agonizing and amazing on that ticket booth scene.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #2035 on: Oct 14, 2008 at 07:05 PM »
I disagree. Serbis may be shocking, revolting, disgusting, but it definitely isn't trash. Trash is something you describe films like Disaster Movie, or the nth sequel of Scary Movie, or the latest Lito Camo song.
« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2008 at 07:07 PM by oggsmoggs »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #2036 on: Oct 15, 2008 at 06:07 AM »
trashy films are the ones made by Cloyd Robinson in the 80's like Tambay Sa Disco, Rizza Jones Showgirl, Wild Animals or Pick-Up Girls. Serbis makes these films seem a lot better.

Offline Qoheleth

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2037 on: Oct 15, 2008 at 07:44 AM »
I've been a member of PDVD for years but this is the first time I'll recommend a Pinoy film.

Watch the Director's Cut of SERBIS at UP Cine Adarna (Diliman). It screens most weekdays and Saturdays at 2pm, 5pm and 7pm.

It is not trash. It is one of the best Pinoy films I've seen so far this year.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2038 on: Oct 15, 2008 at 06:54 PM »
trashy films are the ones made by Cloyd Robinson in the 80's like Tambay Sa Disco, Rizza Jones Showgirl, Wild Animals or Pick-Up Girls. Serbis makes these films seem a lot better.

At least those that you mentioned Jo have camp value. A bad or a trash film can be good crap when it turns out to be on the camp league.

SERBIS doesn't even have a camp value.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #2039 on: Oct 15, 2008 at 09:24 PM »
I can't believe I'm defending a Brillante Mendoza film, but I shall do so. There's a difference between trash and trashy. Trash has no redeeming value, a film that exists for no particular reason except to fill up its running time. Trashy, as keating mentioned, has camp value, whether intended or not. Serbis isn't trash, but it's arguably trashy. It's not trash because there's something to be gleaned from the movie. Whether the method used is excessive or not, is upon the viewer to decide. I'll be satisfied with Serbis is a failure, or Serbis is pretentious. It may be trashy. I actually enjoyed the film's more lighthearted moments... the thief hanging from the balcony, the goat disrupting the theater and its horny patrons...

Jojo, I'll be in NY on the 28th to Nov 20, any tips on where to go?