Author Topic: NBA 07-08 Season on BTV/ESPNSTAR/CS--PLAY-OFFS NA!!  (Read 67569 times)

Offline boredfilmmaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NBA 2007-2008 Season on BTV/ESPN/STAR
« Reply #90 on: Feb 07, 2008 at 08:01 AM »
looks like Shaq's really headed to the desert.. he passed the physical.. this season is just getting more and more exciting..

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: Feb 07, 2008 at 08:09 AM »
Exciting!!!!  As a Laker fan, lets bring it on!!!  ;D ;D

« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2008 at 08:15 AM by Munskie »

Offline kimpOy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • make your own road!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #92 on: Feb 07, 2008 at 08:56 AM »
shaq will be effective as 3rd or 4th option...
dont count out shaq he still has left...

plus no more half-hearted marion, no more useless bank and most importantly
bye bye 20M in 2010 and hello cap space....

but wait... if kwame brown's expiring 9M contract was able to produce a pau gasol
what more can a 20M expiring contract can do... hmmmm

« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2008 at 09:05 AM by kimpOy »

Offline runner10

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #93 on: Feb 07, 2008 at 10:50 AM »
It looks like a stupid move from the Suns and it probably is.  From the PHX POV, Kerr did this because he knows that PHX will have to get past the Spurs if it wants to get to the finals.  They need someone to match up agains Timmy.  Obviously wit this major move, the Suns want to win a championship NOW -- not next year, no next next year.   Kerr's gambit may be good for the short term but definitely not for the medium-long term. 

If I were the PHX GM, I would keep Marion.

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: Feb 07, 2008 at 11:03 AM »
Best headline so far regarding the Shaq trade from The Arizona Repubic:

Where "OMG, Shaq's a Sun" happens

So is this really why Amare Stoudemire changed his number from 32 to 1? That's some foresight.
http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/16512

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #95 on: Feb 07, 2008 at 11:46 AM »
It looks like a stupid move from the Suns and it probably is.  From the PHX POV, Kerr did this because he knows that PHX will have to get past the Spurs if it wants to get to the finals.  They need someone to match up agains Timmy.  Obviously wit this major move, the Suns want to win a championship NOW -- not next year, no next next year.   Kerr's gambit may be good for the short term but definitely not for the medium-long term. 

If I were the PHX GM, I would keep Marion.

Kerr must be using Riley's tactics in Miami...Riley also gambled the team's future though he did win a ring.  And look at Miami now.

Is it really worth years of losing to win that one title compared to consistently winning but never getting the top prize?  Kerr seems to think so.

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: Feb 07, 2008 at 11:56 AM »
I think the thinking here is that Shaq's only got 2 years left on his contract, unlike when he signed with Miami for 5 years (I think?). Now, the majority thinks that Shaq's done already, but take note that that's what people have said when he was first traded to Miami. The Diesel, lazy and fat as he is, has been known to take up challenges just to prove people wrong. The season he was in Miami, he got in shape, lost some weight and was lean and ready to run.

On the other hand, Phoenix loses their best rebounder and defender. They will soon find out that Shaq's not as good in rebounding and will miss those athletic put-backs MArion does for their team and those steals and blocks that he provides them. And hell yeah, aside from Amare, who will make those alley-oop plays that Phoenix loves running for Marion? Shaq, perhaps; but I doubt he's pretty mobile this season.

Oh, and the LAkers lost to Atlanta 98-95.  :'(

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: Feb 07, 2008 at 12:09 PM »

Oh, and the LAkers lost to Atlanta 98-95.  :'(

Siyet, I think Kupchak made a mistake.  Bring back the Cakemaster!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Feb 07, 2008 at 12:33 PM »
Kerr must be using Riley's tactics in Miami...Riley also gambled the team's future though he did win a ring.  And look at Miami now.

Is it really worth years of losing to win that one title compared to consistently winning but never getting the top prize?  Kerr seems to think so.
  Yes.  For a franchise that has never won a NBA title, even if they mortgaged their future, yes, the Phoenix faithful would embraced it.   At worst, if the trade is a failure, they will fall into mediocrity.  Still a good gamble.  The bad thing is, we will never know if they had won had they stayed with Marion.    ;)

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: Feb 07, 2008 at 01:14 PM »
  Yes.  For a franchise that has never won a NBA title, even if they mortgaged their future, yes, the Phoenix faithful would embraced it.   At worst, if the trade is a failure, they will fall into mediocrity.  Still a good gamble.  The bad thing is, we will never know if they had won had they stayed with Marion.    ;)

Yeah, that's precisely what most columnists are saying. With most teams adopting a smaller and quicker line up to match their running game, the Suns basically are giving up what made them so fun to watch in the first place.

On a related note, months before the season started, Steve Kerr had a podcast session with ESPN's Bill Simmons. At one point, they talked about the role of a loose canon player (eg, Rodman, Stephen Jackson) in a championship team. Sometimes, you need that kind of player to give you an extra edge. With the Shaq trade, I never thought that Kerr would turn out to be the loose canon for the Suns.  :)

Offline runner10

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Feb 07, 2008 at 01:34 PM »
The Diesel, lazy and fat as he is........

If Shaq is able to run with the Suns for the whole month of Feb, he will be in shape by Mar 1!   ;D

Offline jeyps11_c

• DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: Feb 07, 2008 at 01:43 PM »
We know what the Suns ended up when they stuck with Marion. As far as the Conference Finals.
I don't think that will change this year esepcially how they are having problems not only on the court but in the locker room.
For the columnists to pick up something like that (locker room problems) it means it's more than guys like Grant Hill and Steve Nash can handle. Those 2 guys are (as what they call it) good locker room players.
I'm not saying the Suns will suddenly walk over the West into the Finals...they're not going to -- with the Lakers, Spurs and Mavs in the same conference.
I think it's a good move before something really bad happens in the Suns locker room.

Still on the Suns...
Heartbreaking loss to NO this morning. The game went into 2 OTs with a possible 3rd one if not for Peja's buzzer beater over Amare for the win. The Suns suddenly look to have gotten back the life/fun they had the past couple of years. There was that bounce in the steps of the Suns especially Nash.

After Paulmissed the potential game winner in regualation the Suns were down 4 with 15 secs before they forced the 2nd OT. Barbosa for the fade away 3, after 2 free throws by Pargo, Nash got open for another uncontested 3. Last shot by Peja missed to end the 1st OT. The teams exchanged leads until the last 10 secs, with the Suns down 3. Suns miss a shot but Grant Hill keeps the ball alive and passes a rebound from the corner to Barbosa on the top of the key to tie the game again with a three. That left NO with 2 seconds left on the game clock and that's when Peja hit is game winner.
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2008 at 01:44 PM by jeyps11_c »
Home is where the Theater is!
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: Feb 07, 2008 at 01:54 PM »
We know what the Suns ended up when they stuck with Marion. As far as the Conference Finals.
I don't think that will change this year esepcially how they are having problems not only on the court but in the locker room.
For the columnists to pick up something like that (locker room problems) it means it's more than guys like Grant Hill and Steve Nash can handle. Those 2 guys are (as what they call it) good locker room players.
I'm not saying the Suns will suddenly walk over the West into the Finals...they're not going to -- with the Lakers, Spurs and Mavs in the same conference.
I think it's a good move before something really bad happens in the Suns locker room.

Still on the Suns...
Heartbreaking loss to NO this morning. The game went into 2 OTs with a possible 3rd one if not for Peja's buzzer beater over Amare for the win. The Suns suddenly look to have gotten back the life/fun they had the past couple of years. There was that bounce in the steps of the Suns especially Nash.

After Paulmissed the potential game winner in regualation the Suns were down 4 with 15 secs before they forced the 2nd OT. Barbosa for the fade away 3, after 2 free throws by Pargo, Nash got open for another uncontested 3. Last shot by Peja missed to end the 1st OT. The teams exchanged leads until the last 10 secs, with the Suns down 3. Suns miss a shot but Grant Hill keeps the ball alive and passes a rebound from the corner to Barbosa on the top of the key to tie the game again with a three. That left NO with 2 seconds left on the game clock and that's when Peja hit is game winner.
After the Lakers lost, they are still just 2 and a half away from the West lead.   Thats how tight is the race in the West.
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2008 at 01:57 PM by Munskie »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: Feb 08, 2008 at 07:54 AM »
With all the negativity that surrounded the trade, Im pretty sure Shaq-Fu is fired up.   I do believe in the power of motivation and the strong urge to prove doubters wrong.   He can be effective in stretches and will contribute in the offensive end, if he is healthy.

Offline kimpOy

• DVD Guru
  • make your own road!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #104 on: Feb 08, 2008 at 08:24 AM »

he..he ayos

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #105 on: Feb 08, 2008 at 11:25 AM »
shaq might not be able to help the suns much during the remainder of the season.  his trade prognonsis would have to be judged during the playoffs where he should contribute or else.

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #106 on: Feb 08, 2008 at 06:58 PM »
Has anybody been watching the Heat last year and this year? How has Shaq played? Last I remembered they didn't even make the playoffs last year. Just curious how effective he will be this year.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: Feb 08, 2008 at 07:05 PM »
What the mind can conceive, the body can achieve.   A big FACT or FICTION for Shaq.  ;)

Offline jeyps11_c

• DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: Feb 09, 2008 at 12:01 AM »
tonedeaf,
The Heat reached the playoffs last year and was swept by the Bulls in the first round.

Tim Legler had a good point when he was analyzing the trade. He mentioned and tried to compare the Suns with the Showtime Lakers of the 80s. It had Magic, Worthy, Cooper, Scott and Kareem...yes the balding and slow Kareem. His point was it they had to run it was Cooper, Scott, , Worthy and Magic running the break. But when the games slows down they go to Kareem.

I think that's the same picture the PHX SUNS wants to paint. Run with the same group of people (Nash, Amare, Hill, Bell, Barbosa and Diaw) but when forced to play the half court game you have a commanding presence in Shaq. And this is very true in the playoffs. You'll notice that games slows down compared to the regular season. Maybe it's because teams focus on adjustments for a single opponent as compared to the regular season game where you don't have time to practice everything you have scouted on the other team.

Overall Shaq is Shaq...opponents will still need to guard him and at times double team him. He can still score (konti), rebound (konti) and block (mas konti). But his mere presence on the low block is what the Suns are looking for and not for the regular season but in the playoffs.
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: Feb 09, 2008 at 06:31 AM »
Everything depends on Shaq's health and conditioning.

Whether Shaq still makes a difference during the playoffs is something that he's got to prove; but one thing's certain, the Suns will have a hard time running the break with less rebounds, less steals and without their best fast break finisher coz they traded him to a plodding HOF center.

I like Shaq and I hope he still has some diesel in him to last a few more years, but after seeing C-Webb play for the Warriors, well, good luck with that.

Offline X-®an™

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: Feb 10, 2008 at 01:00 AM »
CWebb's an entirely different player from Shaq, in the sense that how many rings has he got?  He hasn't proven anything, and right now his aim is just to piggyback his way to a championship.  I wondered what he thought when he heard the news that the Lakers got Gasol.  He must be thinking... "Damn, I chose the wrong team".

As for Shaq, he better back up what he promised.  One thing that bothers me with him is that why does he need to feel slighted to play motivated?  Is 20 million dollars not enough of a reason?  If only he has half the dedication that Kobe has for the game, he may still be with the Lakers now... and still in top form.  He has the physique to be the best center there is, but he's just plain lazy.

As for the Laker game today... Kobe and Gasol both had monster games.  But is just me, or am I seeing Vlad play very well these days?  If he can keep it up, he can very well play the Toni Kukoc role once the playoff starts.

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 342
« Reply #111 on: Feb 10, 2008 at 11:57 PM »
Update on Bynum's knee injury

I hope it heals in time so that we can finally see LA's powerhouse starting line-up in action.  Pahilot na lang niya sana!
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2008 at 12:00 AM by Wiggum »
We deserve better.

Offline jeyps11_c

• DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: Feb 11, 2008 at 08:07 AM »
^Meron kami kilala diyan lang sa may likod ng SM City.
Magaling mang-hilot. Walang "hilot fee" donation lang :):):)
Refer ko kaya kay Bynum :)

2 games that I am very intersted to see:
1. Phoenix vs who ever (with Shaw in the line up)
2. Lakers (against who ever) once Bynum is back

I bet all the Spurs, Cavs and Mavs in the world will be terrified it these 2 teams make it work.
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV

Offline a2

• Trade Count: (+128)
  • DVD Guru
  • Purple & Gold
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 126
« Reply #113 on: Feb 17, 2008 at 11:21 PM »
ganda ng dunk contest this year!! eto na ata yung pinakamaganda at pinakacreative na dunk contest na napanuod ko. move over shaq, there's a new superman in the nba, the man child, dwight howard!! ;D

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Feb 17, 2008 at 11:40 PM »
See sig to see the Black Superman....although I would not have counted that attempt as a dunk, seeing as he didn't even touch the rim.

Offline hubes

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #115 on: Feb 17, 2008 at 11:42 PM »
See sig to see the Black Superman....although I would not have counted that attempt as a dunk, seeing as he didn't even touch the rim.

reminds me of michael jordan's dunk in space jam :)

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 12:18 AM »
Dwight Howard is.........

NASTY!!!!!

Offline aRujoN

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 202
« Reply #117 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 01:16 AM »
Dwight Howard must really love that CRANK DAT soulja boy superman song.....

YOOUUUU!!!! ;D

Offline jht3

• Collector
  • HT noob :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 07:19 AM »
^ Yep, he really does. Have you seen him dancing to that song? It's also seen in the Adidas commercial. The extended version can be seen in youtube though  ;D

Sayang si Jamario Moon, may preview pa naman siya ng dunk niya, 2 steps behind the free throw line ang tinalon niya.
Online basketball:
www.cyberdunk.com?ref=26170

Offline jeyps11_c

• DVD Addict
  • SARS!
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 07:24 AM »
^ Oo. Pero hindi niya nagawa :( I was cheering for him. Kaso....

SUPERMAN IS BACK iN THE BUILDING!
Pio AVS520K
Wharf 9.1 and WH2 Center
A-Audio FS
US Audio Sub
WDTV