Author Topic: Speaker suggestions for Rotel amp  (Read 16025 times)

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Speaker suggestions for Rotel amp
« Reply #90 on: Apr 03, 2008 at 09:43 PM »
If I have that amount I could get a decent 3000 for pre/pro and 2000 for 5 or 7 channels power amp.  ;D  ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline juvinyl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #91 on: Apr 04, 2008 at 08:24 AM »
The Yamaha Z9 when it came out at $5000 had pre/pro features that were superior to anything that Krell or Sunfire had in their separate pre/pros costing also $5000 or even higher at that time.  That was what prompted many HT afficionados with money to just use the Z9 as a preamp.

Wow!...that's amazing for the yamaha and I didn't know that.  Well, these stuff are top of the line receivers and I'm sure I can't afford to buy them.

But I'd still prefer a separate pre/pro  if I had $5000.  First, you lessen your electric bill because even if you don't use the power amps of a receiver, you'd still be consuming electricity due to the amp's idle current.     ;D

Is it possible to disconnect/disable the amps inside and use only the preamps so as not to consume electricity during time of use and idle?  Or remove them totally to reduce weight?
CLEARAUDIO EMOTION TT/ ROTEL RCD-1072, RC-1070, RB-1070, B&W 705

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: Apr 04, 2008 at 08:51 AM »
sir av_phile,

For example, a receiver XXX rated 100w x 7ch + power amp with 1000 watts power consumption, does it mean that the total consumption would be up to 1700 watts during peak load?
So, hindi advisable ang receiver to be the pre/pro if power consuption is the sole basis?

Thanks sir!  :D

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: Apr 04, 2008 at 08:58 AM »

Is it possible to disconnect/disable the amps inside and use only the preamps so as not to consume electricity during time of use and idle?  Or remove them totally to reduce weight?

Yes, but you'd be tinkering with and modifying the innards of the receiver.  May be easy to do for some receivers as the power amp circuit can be readily identified.  You can disconnect the DC rail leads to the amp circuit board but still be left with a huge power transformer eating up electricity though minimal.  But that may require tracing the PCB connection because most receiver circuit boards contain both the amp electronics and the power filtering circuit and you would need to literally cut out the pertinent PCB copper path between the amp circuit and the power filtering circuit. 

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: Apr 04, 2008 at 09:08 AM »
sir av_phile,

For example, a receiver XXX rated 100w x 7ch + power amp with 1000 watts power consumption, does it mean that the total consumption would be up to 1700 watts during peak load?
So, hindi advisable ang receiver to be the pre/pro if power consuption is the sole basis?

Thanks sir!  :D

The power consumption indicated at the back of the receiver and in the manual specs is the maximum the receiver will eat when driven at rated audio power.  But without any signal, the manual often states an idle power consumption of, say 50watts or 70watts. 

Any receiver with pre-outs can be a standalone pre-pro.  That's what those pre-out terminals are for.  The power amp idle current consumption is not really that significant to many users, though over time, it does add to your bill.

Offline juvinyl

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: Apr 04, 2008 at 11:35 AM »
Yes, but you'd be tinkering with and modifying the innards of the receiver.  May be easy to do for some receivers as the power amp circuit can be readily identified.  You can disconnect the DC rail leads to the amp circuit board but still be left with a huge power transformer eating up electricity though minimal.  But that may require tracing the PCB connection because most receiver circuit boards contain both the amp electronics and the power filtering circuit and you would need to literally cut out the pertinent PCB copper path between the amp circuit and the power filtering circuit. 

Thanks av_phile.  Maybe what we can do, is to put all speakers to "off" in the speaker menu function.  At least this way, system's  electrical consumption is minimized.
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2008 at 11:36 AM by juvinyl »

Offline et414

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #96 on: Apr 04, 2008 at 02:09 PM »
i don't think you can do that. that would probably also turn off the corresponding preouts. and you can't turn off all the speakers in the menu. you have to leave at least the fronts on

Wow!...that's amazing for the yamaha and I didn't know that.  Well, these stuff are top of the line receivers and I'm sure I can't afford to buy them.

a member did that a couple of years ago. here's what he said:

Guys, I just want to share an experience...

I wanted to sell my RMB-1075 because I wasn't watching DVDs or listening to CDs much. I'm using a Marantz SR-5500 as a pre-processor so I thought I can do without the Rotel amp.

When I had a buyer already, I removed the amp to pack it. I then hooked up the speakers to the receiver. When I listened to a CD, I wasn't satisfied with the sound anymore. It really lacked much. I then realized I can't live without the amp so I had to pull-out the sale.

Anyway, since I've took out everything already from the shelf, I decided to vacuum my receiver. I then opened my Marantz SR-5500 receiver and carefully vacuumed the insides. I then saw the amplifier section and it was a separate vertical motherboard with huge heatsinks. Hmmmmm.... since I'm going to use the SR-5500 as a pre-processor only, maybe I can disconnect the amp section. This will save electricity, reduce interference, and eliminate the heat coming from the built-in amps.

So i did!!! I disconnected the power cables leading to the amp section. I then put back the cover, connected everything, and viola! I now have a pre-processor! The SR-5500 is now cool to the touch. Hehehehe.

Don't try this at home.  ;D  I guess I just remembered some things from my Electronics class in High School where we assembled our own amps.

Myki

Offline juvinyl

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: Apr 04, 2008 at 09:26 PM »
i don't think you can do that. that would probably also turn off the corresponding preouts. and you can't turn off all the speakers in the menu. you have to leave at least the fronts on

I'm not clear about this but I have read somewhere in my receiver manual that the signal that passes through preout jacks are present at all times.  Perhaps, this means that even if you turn off the speakers, then, the preouts are still alive.
Maybe I have to try this sometime.
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2008 at 09:27 PM by juvinyl »

Offline aepaguinaldo

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: May 04, 2008 at 04:58 PM »
Just wanted to check if anyone has experience in pairing a rotel ra04 with a wharfedale 9.1.

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: Sep 02, 2009 at 11:42 AM »
mga gurus,

magkano ang local/reasonable price ng used rmb-1085? im planning to sell a used 1085  ;D

salamat ulit  ;D

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Sep 02, 2009 at 12:46 PM »
mga gurus,

magkano ang local/reasonable price ng used rmb-1085? im planning to sell a used 1085  ;D

salamat ulit  ;D

RFS brader?

Yan yung inalok sa akin last year when I was in Sing - almost took one home with me ;D

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: Sep 02, 2009 at 05:51 PM »
RFS brader?

Yan yung inalok sa akin last year when I was in Sing - almost took one home with me ;D

sent you pm sir  ;D