Author Topic: Onkyo/Paradign one year later (update)  (Read 1838 times)

Offline dannielsimone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Onkyo/Paradign one year later (update)
« on: Jan 22, 2008 at 08:58 AM »
OK...been more than a year and am real happy with the speakers and the receiver.  When comparing other speakers and receivers in respect to sound quality and pricing I have absoulutely no complaints. 

My only issue is the surround speakers I chose, direct firing atoms , (due to restrictions of my home theatre ) It should really have been more powerful but having said that they are still OK. 

I do love the sound of the Paradign speakers matched with the Onkyo receiver.  For my ears it is a perfect match.

>>>>>>>Ok.....Sight and sounds and the shop next door "paradigm" are both owned by the same guy.  Very nice fellow. As you may know Sights and sounds sells B&W,Wharfdale, missions,Jamo, Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer, and the rest. Paradigm promotes (prodominantly) there own gear. (And with so much good competition out there I often wondered why) Today I wanted to demo the Wharfdale Evo2-30 the b&W  603 and the  Paradigm monitor 7.  Sights and sound manamanagmentment tried to ge the wharf evos but could not so it was a head to head only. So we hooked up the monitor 7 on channel A and B&W on channel B.   Or was it the other way around...no matter.  We listened first to 2 movie segments...Hero,and  daredevil  switching back and forth  time  and time again. And according to my wife it was no contest and in my opinion she was right hands down.  But before rushing to final judgment we then played in stereo mode View from the vaultII. Now this has never been a favorite show of mine ( some good moments no doubt but in general I think it is fair at best) but the quality is so clean and crisp it is great for comparison. We jammed Help>Slip>Franklins at least three times....again jumping from channel A to B constantly. The clear winner was the monitor 7.  I mean honestly....the B&W was not even in the same ball park.  ( In the back of my mind I am now wondering if this  fight was rigged).  But both salesman I spoke to previously said the monitor 7 was a better speaker. Better than the B&W and the Wharfdale   

And not for nothing...but I thought the Wharf diamond 9 series I demoed a few days back sounded better than the B&W as well.

dudes....just my humble opinion.  Of all the demos thus far.....am most impressed with the monitor 7.

Also demoed the paradigm ADP 370 surround and must say they sounded real good.   

Maybe this is why "paradigm" chooses to predominantly sell its own gear?

Now does any one out there have the experience to tell me what they think about this head to head and are you surprized about the results?<<<<<<<<<<<

DISCUSS!
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re: Onkyo/Paradign one year later (update)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2008 at 11:50 AM »
maybe you are surprised because of how much more the b&w costs? ive also had this discussion with alot of enthusiasts during my visits to AV shops. bottom line, there are speakers that cost less and sound better than b&w... but remember, market forces command price.

since alot of people are brand biased towards b&w, they can jack up the price so easily... tignan mo dito sa pdvd nalang, taas ng resale ng b&w and pinagaagawan pa everytime may for sale. oh... and also, b&w's are very well constructed. kaya din mahal.

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2008 at 01:31 PM »
Choosing speaker brands is highly subjective really - the purpose here is to find what you like best & hopefully within your budget (I do find budget as subjective as well ;D)

I believe each brand has its own sonic signature, so auditioning speaker brands in different configurations will help anybody to choose wisely.
IMHO, I find B&W to be smooth & crisp along all frequencies - from highs to lows. Its not a bright speaker & it aint a dark one either - just happily sitting in between. ;)
I've heard the entry level 303s and it also exhibits the familiar sonic characteristics similar to its big brothers.

While I plan to keep my 602s3 for audio in my room - I am now thinking of changing my Wharfes diamond8 HT set-up into 303s.....sana makahanap ulit sa ebay :P

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2008 at 03:30 PM »
I have auditioned both the Paradigm (Monitor 7) and the B&W when I was searching on which speaker to buy for my upgrade  ;) Yup i was also impressed and was carried away with how the Paradigm (Monitor 7) sounded vs the B&W  ;) but as what most people in this forum will say, what sounds good to one might not sound good to the other  :) there are factors also to be considered in buying speakers, one of which I feel is if the speaker was well powered to get its full potential? from what i read in the forum B&W is one speaker that needs to be well feed. Maybe you can request them to connect a power amp. If i remember correctly the Monitor 7 has a sensitivity of 90db while the B&W is below that level. Also try to audition the Paradigm Studio Series sounded better than the Monitor although more expensive.

By the way, ended up buying a different brand than what was mentioned above (although dun din sa store na yun ko nabili) ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2008 at 03:36 PM by vtec3 »

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2008 at 05:07 PM »
To be honest, i really dont undertsand power ratings as much - either we believe those power ratings or not, nothing beats auditioning it talaga.

Being new to B&Ws, I keep hearing that they're a bit harder to drive. I got advices that 80-100wpc amps would power them just fine. So since then, 80-100wpc is all in my mind when I check on amps.
However, last saturday in Sound Dimensions - I was pretty much floored by hearing a Rotel amp na 40wpc lang and making those 602s3 sing into sonic nirvana - and at 9oclock volume lang :o

Is it possible that some amp companies are really underrated?

Offline muypogi

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 06:30 AM »
To be honest, i really dont undertsand power ratings as much - either we believe those power ratings or not, nothing beats auditioning it talaga.

Being new to B&Ws, I keep hearing that they're a bit harder to drive. I got advices that 80-100wpc amps would power them just fine. So since then, 80-100wpc is all in my mind when I check on amps.
However, last saturday in Sound Dimensions - I was pretty much floored by hearing a Rotel amp na 40wpc lang and making those 602s3 sing into sonic nirvana - and at 9oclock volume lang :o

Is it possible that some amp companies are really underrated?

Actually, stereo amps sound much better vs AVRs when you audition them side-by-side for music.  I had Sight and Sounds do a comparison between a 50k Denon AVR vs a 14k NAD 320bee, and the NAD came out much better in terms of music playback.

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2008 at 11:01 AM »
Actually, stereo amps sound much better vs AVRs when you audition them side-by-side for music.  I had Sight and Sounds do a comparison between a 50k Denon AVR vs a 14k NAD 320bee, and the NAD came out much better in terms of music playback.

Your absolutely correct, sir ;D
However, the premise of my statement above is about Integrated amps and their rated powers......maybe there are manufacturers who under spec their powers. One amp company in car audio does this practice - Rockford Fosgate.
Sorry kung OT - nasa speaker section pala tayo :P

Offline bhongskie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2008 at 06:10 PM »
I've heard the B&W 602 and I think the paradigm studio (forgot model) when I was auditioning for a plasma tv.  The paradigm is the one with a silver dust cap, its a big bookshelf just like the 602s.  Personally, I'd say the paradigm trounces the B&W and that really caught my attention.  I came to listen a little more while the tv was being set up.  Made me think, should I buy the plasma or the paradigm?   ;D ;D

Offline kn89

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2008 at 07:21 PM »
I've heard the B&W 602 and I think the paradigm studio (forgot model) when I was auditioning for a plasma tv.  The paradigm is the one with a silver dust cap, its a big bookshelf just like the 602s.  Personally, I'd say the paradigm trounces the B&W and that really caught my attention.  I came to listen a little more while the tv was being set up.  Made me think, should I buy the plasma or the paradigm?   ;D ;D

Buy both!  ;D :D

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2008 at 06:49 PM »
The results might differ if you use power amps on the B&W's. These speakers dip to 4ohms below as I read somewhere. And receivers, unless flagships, have difficulty supplying 4 ohm loads.

I think its not in the under spec. The secret I believe is in the power supply and its ability to supply 4 ohm loads. Torroidal power supplies are found only on power amps or 100+k receivers, while it can be found on 20k below stereo integrated amps (edit). Thats why even low power stereo amps can drive some speakers better, because they were built for 4 ohm loads. And most speakers, even if they have 8ohms spec, dip down sometimes to 4 ohms.

I have auditioned the B&W's so many times, wondering why it was so popular. It was tested with receivers & I honestly could get my self to like the sound. Till one day I heard it with a hybrid integrated (w/ torroidal power supply). I was just floored!!! I never heard them this good! I became a B&W fan from then on.

Just my tots  :D
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2008 at 03:13 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline Dday

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2008 at 02:45 PM »
Toroidal Power Supply only found in power amps and 100+k receiver, while it can be found on 20k stereo amps...

...did you know that All NAD Integrated Amplifier, from entry-level  (P14T) to flagship model, use Toroidal Power Supply and it can deliver rated watts continuously @ 4ohms.

Just sharing.

:D  ;D

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2008 at 03:04 PM »
...did you know that All NAD Integrated Amplifier, from entry-level  (P14T) to flagship model, use Toroidal Power Supply and it can deliver rated watts continuously @ 4ohms.  :D

Yes, I knew that but wasnt able to input the exact detail cuz I was in a hurry to leave when I typed the post above.  :) I forgot to place the word 20k "below".

So I stand corrected sir!

Edited post

To make it clear: I have nothing against Paradigms though, I am actually setting up a HT &  I plan to use digms. I actually find American brands better for pure HT use (subjective opinion), even though they arent as popular as the Brit speakers here in this country.

just sharing

:D  ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2008 at 03:11 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline brandon

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2008 at 06:42 PM »
... I mean honestly....the B&W was not even in the same ball park.  ( In the back of my mind I am now wondering if this  fight was rigged).  But both salesman I spoke to previously said the monitor 7 was a better speaker. Better than the B&W and the Wharfdale   

And not for nothing...but I thought the Wharf diamond 9 series I demoed a few days back sounded better than the B&W as well.

dudes....just my humble opinion.  Of all the demos thus far.....am most impressed with the monitor 7.

Also demoed the paradigm ADP 370 surround and must say they sounded real good.   

Maybe this is why "paradigm" chooses to predominantly sell its own gear?

Now does any one out there have the experience to tell me what they think about this head to head and are you surprized about the results?<<<<<<<<<<<

DISCUSS!

I'm surprised I have come across this message again... :)
I think I posted an answer to a similar thread about a year ago.

My opinion about Paradigms vs. B&W's has remained the same...
Paradigms are excellent for HT/movies due to their powerful bass
and ear-piercing treble. If I were purely into HT/movies,
I'd choose Paradigm over B&W anytime to achieve those
'special effects'... :)

However, I'm into 90% music so for me,
it's B&W over Paradigm ANYTIME... :)

No, B&W is not popular simply because it is marketed as
an 'elite' brand for the 'classy' or the 'high end' market.
It is popular because it really sounds good.... so good
that some recordings when played back on it
just sound so real you think it was 'live'.

Paradigms sound good for music as well, but just not as good
as B&W's.  As I've mentioned in my previous 'B&W vs. Paradigm' posts,
Paradigms just don't have quite the midrange and treble 'finess'
that the B&W's have.  Listening to Paradigms doesn't give me
the feeling of 'being there' than when I'm listening to my B&W's.

Of course, listening is highly subjective so I must admit,
other listeners might disagree with me.  Go listen to a well set-up B&W
and you'll see what you've been missing... Listen and you'll see...  :)

Disclaimer:
----------
I am not a B&W dealer nor am I connected to B&W or any of
its affiliates in any way. I just love the B&W sound over that of
Paradigms anytime. :)
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2008 at 06:48 PM by brandon »

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 04:30 PM »
My opinion about Paradigms vs. B&W's has remained the same...
Paradigms are excellent for HT/movies due to their powerful bass
and ear-piercing treble. If I were purely into HT/movies,
I'd choose Paradigm over B&W anytime to achieve those
'special effects'... :)

Hmm...sounds very familiar. :D

Yup, I'm into movies 90% of my time. Will give Paradigm a serious thought. :)

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2008 at 12:06 AM »
Got to say that I have always liked the "in your face" sound.  The kind of sound that jumps out at you and says "so this is what its like to be in the top 10 rows at a Rock n Roll show.  A speaker that delivers and dares you to turn it up another notch.  I have also found that Onkyo receivers help deliver that performance.  I started this thread just to deliver a review of what I started one year ago.  Hope it is appreciated for what it is.

For me and my ears....Onkyo and Paradigm are a perfect match.
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10