Author Topic: subwoofer into a generic dvd player  (Read 1628 times)

Offline kanam327

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
subwoofer into a generic dvd player
« on: Jan 26, 2008 at 04:03 AM »
hi guys i have a 5.1 htib setup attached to my dvd player via the rca ports.my question however is can i still attach another active subwoofer through the speaker out of the dvd player would it cause an overloa on my dvd since i would be using to different audio outputs?any feedback on this thanks.

Offline mrk_cute

• Collector
  • rock on!
  • Liked:
Re: subwoofer into a generic dvd player
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2008 at 06:03 AM »
You can just Y-split the subwoofer out of your 5.1 rca output so you can connect your additonal sub. By the way are you using an HTIB for for 5.1 set-up or are you connecting your player's 5.1 out to an AVR's 5.1 inputs?

Offline LEXing LUTHOR

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2008 at 08:25 PM »
May I also inquire about subwoofers? (apologies to the topic starter  :) )

Im no audio expert so pls pardon my ignorance..

im trying to setup a 5.1 or semi-5.1 system on my generic dvd player...

di ba there are 6 outputs...

SR/SL   = Speaker Right/ Speaker Left
    FR/FL   =  Front Right/ Front Left
   CEN      = Center
   SUB      = Subwoofer

I plugged the SR/SL into my TV Sound output
   I plugged the FR/FL  into my Component with 2 large speakers.. ok na sound nito with Bass and effects

Question: What can I plug into the Sub(woofer) output?  And the Center output? (alth this one is optional na siguro)

I tried looking for a Subwoofer sa mga DVD shops, even in Quiapo and Raon, but all  "Subwoofers" come in 3 pcs.. a center with 2 speakers included.... wala bang nabibiling subwoofer lang? and I assume that all subwoofers are meant to be plugged in sa power outlet to provide a good output?

As an aside, sa Compenent ko, merong din jack sa rear that says "Subwoofer", so pwede rin sigurong dito ikabit?

any experts here who can enlighten this newbie?  :) 

Much appreciated, thanks...

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2008 at 10:40 AM »
May I also inquire about subwoofers? (apologies to the topic starter  :) )

Im no audio expert so pls pardon my ignorance..

im trying to setup a 5.1 or semi-5.1 system on my generic dvd player...

di ba there are 6 outputs...

SR/SL   = Speaker Right/ Speaker Left
    FR/FL   =  Front Right/ Front Left
   CEN      = Center
   SUB      = Subwoofer

I plugged the SR/SL into my TV Sound output
   I plugged the FR/FL  into my Component with 2 large speakers.. ok na sound nito with Bass and effects

Question: What can I plug into the Sub(woofer) output?  And the Center output? (alth this one is optional na siguro)

I tried looking for a Subwoofer sa mga DVD shops, even in Quiapo and Raon, but all  "Subwoofers" come in 3 pcs.. a center with 2 speakers included.... wala bang nabibiling subwoofer lang?

As an aside, sa Compenent ko, merong din jack sa rear that says "Subwoofer", so pwede rin sigurong dito ikabit?

any experts here who can enlighten this newbie?  :) 

Much appreciated, thanks...

There are separate powered subwoofers in the market.  I recall seeing an Aiwa subwoofer costing around 5.2T at Abenson last year that will do nicely in a component system.  At about the same price, there's DTX and Dai-1chi brands.  For about 10t-12T, there's Wharfedale subs.

The LFE out on your DVD player can feed directly to a powered sub.  And if your component has a sub-out, that too.  Is your component system a 5.1 that accepts 6 RCA inputs?  If so, you should feed the LFE out of your DVD player to the component's LFE input and connect the sub to the component's sub-out. 

Your SL and SL speakers from the TV are mixed-down stereo information from the DVD player.  It contains the center information and the surround information as well so you won't be getting the discrete enveloping sounds promised by a 5.1 set-up.  Some people use the TV speakers as their center speakers by feeding the DVD player's center channel to the TV using a Y-RCA to split into the L and R audio inputs to the TV, if it's a stereo TV.  That's just fine for low power set-ups even if the timber match is off.

and I assume that all subwoofers are meant to be plugged in sa power outlet to provide a good output?

These are powered subwoofers that have power amplifiers inside.  That's why you will need to plug them into an AC power outlet.  Almost all subwoofers out there are powered.  They're called Active subwoofers.   Then there are subwoofers without power amps called passive subwoofers but you need not bother as there are very few of them and will require a more elaborate set-up.   

Offline kanam327

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2008 at 08:17 PM »
just got back on line and thanks for helping me out mark im just using it for my dvd player but i got some ideas from your suggestions and will try it out.

Offline sacred_sid

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 06:07 PM »
tanong ko lang po sana ano generic dvd player na gamit nyo.  Last time na nabili ko na nextbase eh hindi tumatagal yung remote.

Salamat...

Offline reynold

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Now a Name... Soon a LEGEND!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 07:05 PM »
tanong ko lang po sana ano generic dvd player na gamit nyo.  Last time na nabili ko na nextbase eh hindi tumatagal yung remote.

Salamat...

The good thing about generic dvd players is generic din yung remote control nya, find any generic brand remote that almost the same as your remote and it will work on your unit too  :)
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline koolitz10

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Aug 10, 2008 at 02:22 AM »
sir, any idea kung papano ma region free ang generic dvd player ahhoo brand. d kasi ma play lahat ng original dvd's ko eh.