Author Topic: When do you use tube amps?  (Read 5060 times)

Offline Lancito

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
When do you use tube amps?
« on: Feb 15, 2008 at 01:59 PM »
Excuse my ignorance, what are tube amps for?  Is it used only for stereo audio listening?  I only know about HT.

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
Re: When do you use tube amps?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2008 at 02:19 PM »
in my case

99  percent for audio
1 percent 2 channel HT

There are very  few tube gears designed for HT.

Tube amps of the intergrated variety is similar to your AVR less the Dolby Digital/HT   features.  AVT/HT amps are 2 channels while most integrated tube amps are 2 channel only

An amplifier  amplifies the signal from your CD/DVD player to your speakers, basically the amp can be solidstate based or tube based, they try to accomplish the same thing.....which is amplify the signal

Excuse my ignorance, what are tube amps for?  Is it used only for stereo audio listening?  I only know about HT.

Offline Lancito

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2008 at 02:35 PM »
in my case

99  percent for audio
1 percent 2 channel HT

There are very  few tube gears designed for HT.

Tube amps of the intergrated variety is similar to your AVR less the Dolby Digital/HT   features.  AVT/HT amps are 2 channels while most integrated tube amps are 2 channel only

An amplifier  amplifies the signal from your CD/DVD player to your speakers, basically the amp can be solidstate based or tube based, they try to accomplish the same thing.....which is amplify the signal

Thanks Qguy!  So it is basically for audio.  Tubes for audio and SS more for HT.  I get it.  Tnx.

Offline alexg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2008 at 05:15 PM »
Thanks Qguy!  So it is basically for audio.  Tubes for audio and SS more for HT.  I get it.  Tnx.

Well not necessarilty, both tube and ss are used to amplify signals.

Some people use tube amps for HT (I use 832A monoblocks for my HT), some use them strictly for audio (I use my other tube amps for audio).

Most HT AVR are solid state (SS), but some people use SS amplifiers for audio.

So you can use tubed amp for HT and audio, and you can use SS amp for HT and audio (but most HT AVR are SS). Depends on which one you would like best.

HTH.
I went fishing the other day, and I caught a BIG ONE!

Offline Philjonc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I just love music...
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2008 at 10:37 PM »
maikli lang kasi life span ng power tubes, kaya they are being saved for audio listening nalang. :D

Offline karce

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 01:07 PM »
may nakita ako picture na tubes 7 channel for HT.  pero mahal yata

Offline Lancito

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 02:34 PM »
What is the best known tube amp na brand na medyo mid range ang price?

Offline Ctlim

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 02:48 PM »
uyyy.. lance mukhang nagka-interest ka agad ah!!!

i believe the most popular brand here is Cayin followed by the locally made AMX of Kinetic.

what do you mean by mid range ang price? its better to establish a budget in getting tube amps... baka magulat ka sa mga range e.

Offline onedown

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • peace man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 02:50 PM »
lancito,

how much are you willing to spend? giving a figure would help folks here point you to the correct direction. there are plenty of tube amps out in the market, not including diy'ers who you can perhaps commision to build an amp for you. but before taking the plunge, ask yourself if you really want to enter the world of tubes. ask your self what kind of sound would you like to have from your system.

i suggest that you try to listen to as many tube setups as you can. by listening to various setups, it will, hopefully, help you decide if you want to use tube amps in your system.
peace man!

Offline onedown

• DVD Addict
  • peace man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 03:02 PM »
lancito,

another tip: resist the urge to buy a particular brand just because it is the most popular. buy something because you want it. remember, what sounds good to me might sound terrible to you. use your ears to decide what gear to buy, and not the sales figures.
peace man!

Offline miniracer

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 03:31 PM »
the dared tube amps looks good and priced right. check out the mp-15, vp-16, vp-20 and vp-300b. I already listened to a vp-20 connected to an epos bookshelf, sounded very nice to me.  :)

Offline Le_Stat

• Collector
  • Only Taxpayer's should Vote !
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 04:10 PM »
Audition  from the lowest price to the out of this world price.  Compare the reaction of your brain and ears to the sound that you hear.  Bring your own CD or LP, and source player - cd player or turntable.

Again, dont let price be the deciding factor.  When you get to know which brands are good for you, then that would be the time for you to decide and weigh in the factors.

Also, get to know more about tube types - 6550, el34, kt88, 6l6gc, 2a3, 300B, el84.  Mahihilo ka sa dami, sa totoo lang.
Only tax payer's should vote !

Offline Ctlim

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 04:22 PM »
http://thetubestore.com/powertubesonly.html

know your tubes... kita naman ang popular power tube types El34, KT88, El84, 6L6.

http://www.tubedepot.com/ei-12ax7eg.html

for pre-amp tubes... you cant go wrong with these.

be careful in picking as your tube amp will most likely dictate the best speaker to pair it with... which may not even be
your "favorite" brand.

for entry level tube integrated amps, try out the 18wpc dareds... good value for money... or build one of your own thru AMX. check mo yung amx ni muypogi sa pinoybazaar... binebenta na nya.

« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2008 at 04:27 PM by ctlim »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 04:39 PM »
If you have a wide variety of music you listen to. Try Hybrids (tube pre-amp, SSpower section).

I chose hybrids for this reason, plus I am also afraid that my kids might get scalded by touching the tubes of a pure tube setup. Less maintenance too.

Offline onedown

• DVD Addict
  • peace man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 04:39 PM »

snip.

Also, get to know more about tube types - 6550, el34, kt88, 6l6gc, 2a3, 300B, el84.  Mahihilo ka sa dami, sa totoo lang.

not to mention the design of the amp. single ended triode, push pull, ultra linear, pentode, etc.
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2008 at 04:41 PM by onedown »
peace man!

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 05:37 PM »
Better set your budget and listening preferences, unless you want to engage on a never ending purchase/upgrade.

I know of a guy who has a new amp no more than 6 months ago and says that it's the best he's ever heard, now he has a new amp and says this one is the best.  ::) Obviously not a good path to follow.

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 05:59 PM »
What is the best known tube amp na brand na medyo mid range ang price?

Try auditioning tube amps first para you get a feel on how they sound.

Try:

1) Kinetic - makers of AMX amps - 2nd floor The Forum Robinsons Pioneer
2) Audio Amplified - distributors of Cayin amps - along Libis, 2nd Floor Madision Square yata (where the Kowloon Stand is, opposite Shopwise)
3) the numerous audio shops in Makati Cinema Square, near where they sell guns and ammo. . .
4) Rockwell
5) Shangri-La Mall, 4-5th level
6) Park Square 1, Makati, GF

Offline karce

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 06:39 PM »
uyyy.. lance mukhang nagka-interest ka agad ah!!!

i believe the most popular brand here is Cayin followed by the locally made AMX of Kinetic.

what do you mean by mid range ang price? its better to establish a budget in getting tube amps... baka magulat ka sa mga range e.

Mukhang pinaka popular na tube amp ngayon ay CAYIN na nga.  A friend of mine has one at maganda nga sya. Workmaship nya ... well personal opinion ko nga mas pulido pa kaysa mga ibang US or Europe na brand.  Sound niya ay tube na tube   ;D ;D ;D.  Tapos yung customer service ng Cayin daw reliable rin kasi Ok daw yung distributor nila sa Pinas. Maalaga.  I am still saving bago ako mag audition kasi baka ma SARS bigla hehehe.

Yung Dared hybrid amp din yun diba?  I have one at una akala ko pure tube. Kaso pre-amp section lang pala yung tube. Pero ok rin sya. Ginagamit ko pang ipod sa office.  Pair ko F5000R na Aurum. Good match naman.

I've looked around at price of tubes goes from 15,000 to the sky kaya tama to set a budget muna at pila ka nga pinagamangandang match na pasok sa budget.

Offline miniracer

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 08:27 PM »
Mukhang pinaka popular na tube amp ngayon ay CAYIN na nga.  A friend of mine has one at maganda nga sya. Workmaship nya ... well personal opinion ko nga mas pulido pa kaysa mga ibang US or Europe na brand.  Sound niya ay tube na tube   ;D ;D ;D.  Tapos yung customer service ng Cayin daw reliable rin kasi Ok daw yung distributor nila sa Pinas. Maalaga.  I am still saving bago ako mag audition kasi baka ma SARS bigla hehehe.

Yung Dared hybrid amp din yun diba?  I have one at una akala ko pure tube. Kaso pre-amp section lang pala yung tube. Pero ok rin sya. Ginagamit ko pang ipod sa office.  Pair ko F5000R na Aurum. Good match naman.

I've looked around at price of tubes goes from 15,000 to the sky kaya tama to set a budget muna at pila ka nga pinagamangandang match na pasok sa budget.

only the mp-5 ang hybrid, the rest are pure tubes na.

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 09:45 PM »
Better set your budget and listening preferences, unless you want to engage on a never ending purchase/upgrade.

I know of a guy who has a new amp no more than 6 months ago and says that it's the best he's ever heard, now he has a new amp and says this one is the best.  ::) Obviously not a good path to follow.

si ano ba yan Doc? ;D
money is best spent

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #20 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 10:46 PM »
si ano ba yan Doc? ;D

OT: ay hindi, iba ito pre mas matindi pa sa atin... no comment na ako.   :D

Back to topic...

Offline reynold

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Now a Name... Soon a LEGEND!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 02:29 PM »

Awww, sir Jojo, medyo tinamaan ako dito ha, hehe buti na lang medyo mura lang mga binibili ko, hahaha ;D ;D ;D

Dami siguro tinamaan dyan ano, aminiiinnn... hehehe ;D
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline Brian_mico

• DVD Addict
  • Dakilang mangbabakal at magbobote
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 04:19 PM »

Awww, sir Jojo, medyo tinamaan ako dito ha, hehe buti na lang medyo mura lang mga binibili ko, hahaha ;D ;D ;D

Dami siguro tinamaan dyan ano, aminiiinnn... hehehe ;D

oucccch din....  ;D ;D ;D

Online rony

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • didyital rules!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #23 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 05:04 PM »

OT: ay hindi, iba ito pre mas matindi pa sa atin... no comment na ako.   :D

Back to topic...

Pre marami pala ganyan kala ko dati si ?!#@ ano lang ang pa palit palit at pa twik twik.

Offline schlamm

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Aug 18, 2008 at 02:43 AM »
question, will i be spoiling my tube setup if i connect my subwoofer with my tube setup? i'm planning to use my sub to listen to other materials that have more low frequencies that i find thin when running on a 2.0 channel setup with my tubes. besides, pwede ko naman patayin yung sub pag ayaw ko.

Offline jpeg

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • I don't care what you think...
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Aug 18, 2008 at 11:45 AM »
question, will i be spoiling my tube setup if i connect my subwoofer with my tube setup? i'm planning to use my sub to listen to other materials that have more low frequencies that i find thin when running on a 2.0 channel setup with my tubes. besides, pwede ko naman patayin yung sub pag ayaw ko.

Of coarse not. :) Try it. If it sounds better to you, then non of our comments matter.  ;D

I use my sub when listening to music on my HT set up. I find my bookshelf speakers lacking the lower frequencies. ;)

Jason
Rega DAC, SVS MBS 01,  Bada DC-222, B&W 705/HTM7, Denon 3300

Offline XXXyzledge

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • NO more CEBU PACIFIC flights for me!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Aug 18, 2008 at 11:49 AM »

your tube amp must have a pre-out for u to be able
to connect a subwoofer...

ayus yan!
on/off lang depende sa listening mood....

Cayin, RS1, Velo, QED, Bada         Sony4K, HK, B&W, SVS, Oppo, LaZboy....

Offline schlamm

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Aug 18, 2008 at 05:04 PM »
your tube amp must have a pre-out for u to be able
to connect a subwoofer...

ayus yan!
on/off lang depende sa listening mood....

pero may speaker level inputs sub ko, yun ang gamit ng ibang setups kapag walang sub pre-out ang amp nila kagaya nitong tube amp ko. :)

Offline hi-fi heroes

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Aug 18, 2008 at 07:21 PM »
pero may speaker level inputs sub ko, yun ang gamit ng ibang setups kapag walang sub pre-out ang amp nila kagaya nitong tube amp ko. :)

tried a cayin MT 12 to my sub to my speakers... good sound if you're looking for bass... unfortunately after the initial happiness of the "bass sound" i found that the signal quality being reproduced was far less than if i had my cayin direct to my speakers...

my 2cents...

Offline Lancito

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Aug 19, 2008 at 07:53 AM »

tried a cayin MT 12 to my sub to my speakers... good sound if you're looking for bass... unfortunately after the initial happiness of the "bass sound" i found that the signal quality being reproduced was far less than if i had my cayin direct to my speakers...

my 2cents...

Before anything else, welcome to PDVD.  :)