Author Topic: how big's the difference between upscaling and non upscaling dvd players  (Read 1134 times)

Offline mrm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
hi,
    Just wanted to get feedback from you guys how big is the difference in picture quality between
upscaling and non upscaling dvd players.  Will it be noticeable only for people with discerning taste.
Thanks. more power.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Upscaling DVD players are worth it if you have a display size 32" and above.   Then again, it has to have a better upscaling circuit than what your display has.  All flat panel displays (LCDs and Plasmas)  upscale to their native resolution.  So you really don't need an upscaling player if you have one of those displays, provided the display does a good job at it. 
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2008 at 02:46 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline cousin skeeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • "Eureka!!!!"
  • Liked:
Upscaling DVD players are worth it if you have a display size 32" and above.   Then again, it has to have a better upscaling circuit than what your display has.  All flat panel displays (LCDs and Plasmas)  upscale to their native resolution.  So you really don't need an upscaling player if you have one of those displays, provided the display does a good job at it. 

I've a Bravia 32" LCD TV and was wondering if an upscaling DVD player would improve PQ even more. I was considering purchasing an upscaling DVD player but from what I've read, most of the current LCD TVs are already doing a pretty good job upscaling and getting an upscaling player won't make much of a difference anymore. But I've also read consumer reviews that say the difference is really big, some saying a 90% improvement in the PQ which make me kinda unsure whether to purchase or not.

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
I was using an old 29" CRT Tv then matched to a Sony and Pioneer DVD player,
but when I upgraded my system to a 42" Plasma, and bought a Pioneer Upscaler,
the difference was really noticeable, whether the connection of the old players would be via S-video or component, the images where sharper and the colors where much vibrant. And at the latest price of the upscalers nowadays, its a worthy investment, esp. if its gonna paired to a nice TV...

good luck...

ABC