Author Topic: Pioneer quits plasma screen business  (Read 1140 times)

Offline tambutsoo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • YO Wazzup :)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pioneer quits plasma screen business
« on: Mar 09, 2008 at 07:51 PM »
AFTER MAKING A LOSS for the fourth year running, Japanese consumer electronics outfit Pioneer Corp said it would give up making plasma displays.

Pioneer is the currently the world's fifth-biggest plasma TV maker, but can't seem to make much money at it.

The firm, said it expects to post a group net loss of 15 billion yen ($145 million) for the year to March 31. It had thought it would make a six billion yen profit.

Dropping plasma, "will allow us to transform our business model for displays from vertically integrated, capital-intensive operations to a leaner business model geared to making value-added product proposals," Pioneer said in a statement.

The decision will cost the firm a charge of 19 billion yen ($185 million), but it reckons it'll help it make a profit again by 2010.

Offline Mouldingo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
Re: Pioneer quits plasma screen business
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2008 at 11:09 PM »
Pioneer officially ends in-house plasma production, Kuro LCDs coming soon

Say goodbye to Kuro as we knew (and loved) it, as Pioneer officially announced that after panel production of the next series of models is complete, it's ending all in-house plasma panel production and will build HDTVs based on panels bought elsewhere. The source went unnamed pending a final agreement, but Panasonic will likely follow up the 42-inch it's providing with plasmas of up to 60-inches. Due this fall are Kuro-edition LCDs, combining Pioneer's ultra-thin speakers and exacting picture quality standards with screens built by Sharp (hopefully this time sans-banding issues) that should see release Europe first. Other businesses affected are car audio, DJ equipment and Blu-ray players, but by streamlining operations and working closely with Sharp, it expects a return to profitability in 2010.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/07/pioneer-officially-ends-in-house-plasma-production-kuro-lcds-co/
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2008 at 11:09 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline byron

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Audio and Video Phile Beginner
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2008 at 07:57 AM »
Hi PinoyDVD team,

I just want to get your thoughts on all of these Pioneer news on stopping plasma panel production. 

1.) How would you react if you hear that Pioneer will be stopping their Plasma Panel Production (assuming you have plans of purchasing one)?  We all know that Pio PDPs are top notch, so that would mean that PDPs available in the market now will have a risk of going out very quickly
2.) Would you suppose a price drop will happen due to this news? 
3.) Or due to the law of supply and demand, a price increase is bound to happen?

I am about to get one this week - 508XG - please help advise.

thanks!

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2008 at 08:21 AM »
My thoughts.

1.) How would you react if you hear that Pioneer will be stopping their Plasma Panel Production (assuming you have plans of purchasing one)?  We all know that Pio PDPs are top notch, so that would mean that PDPs available in the market now will
have a risk of going out very quickly

No effect at all.  If I were in the market for new HDTV right now, I would still get a Pioneer Plasma with maker's standard warranty.  For expensive electronic items such as this, Japanese makers have guaranteed 8-years of parts availability.    Beyond 8-years, either pauubusin nalang yung stocks na parts (meaning there is still possibility of repair beyond 8 years) or itatapon to give space for spares of other models.  Anyway, Pioneer is not totally bowing out of the Plasma business yet right.  They are only stopping in-house production of plasma panels.

2.) Would you suppose a price drop will happen due to this news?  

No.  There is no reason to do that.    Kuros are expensive but people are still buying them.   What surprises me is that despite the high prices of Kuro models, Pioneer still could not manage to break even.   Pioneer is still selling at a loss, while the significantly cheaper Panasonic is making tons of money.  A change of business strategy is a must.

3.) Or due to the law of supply and demand, a price increase is bound to happen?

Maybe, for some crazy collectors.

It would be interesting to see the quality of Pioneer's future Plasma Kuro based on Panasonic's panel and LCD Kuro using Sharp panel.
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2008 at 08:23 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline byron

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Audio and Video Phile Beginner
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2008 at 09:21 AM »
thank you for your inputs.  I really appreciate it.

i'm concerned on how the market will view this - end to end pioneer pdps will become rare after this year...

thanks!

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2008 at 09:53 AM »
If the Pioneer engineers can make some magic tweaks with their homemade 720p panels, imagine what they can do with native 1080p panels supplied by Panasonic.   I consider this a positive development.   Less expensive Kuros!