Author Topic: A Tale of Two Setups  (Read 5742 times)

Offline flak-jacket

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A Tale of Two Setups
« on: Mar 25, 2008 at 09:22 PM »
im currently planning a separate setup for HT and 2-channel music listening... i want to have the best of both worlds so i've decided to go on this route. im not really rushing on this one since im still carefully planning the renovation of my 25sqm. room. ;D

Home Theater

• Paradigm Titan Monitor BS
• Paradigm Monitor CC-290 Center
• Paradigm Monitor ADP-390 Surrounds
• Velodyne CHT-12R
• Denon 3808

2-channel music listening

• B&W 683 FS

i have read that B&W sings well when paired with Rotel, the question is what do i need?

Stereo Preamplifier? Stereo Power Amplifier? Stereo Receiver?

which manufacturer makes the better CD Player? Rotel or NAD?

TIA  :)
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2008 at 09:36 PM by predator »

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: A Tale of Two Setups
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2008 at 09:37 PM »
For 2ch audio set-up, you can either go separates (poweramp+pre-amp) or Integrated. You may also add a separate am/fm receiver if you also like to listen to radio.

Here's a one page quick view of some Rotel gear and specs for both HT/Audio:

http://www.hifigoteborg.se/about%20some%20rotel.htm

Offline flak-jacket

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2008 at 09:43 PM »
For 2ch audio set-up, you can either go separates (poweramp+pre-amp) or Integrated.

in terms of SQ, are there any pros and cons between going separates or integrated?
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2008 at 11:15 PM by predator »

Online synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+104)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 949
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 06:17 AM »
in terms of SQ, are there any pros and cons between going separates or integrated?

none if both types are properly designed. I have seen and heard integrateds that can beat the performance of seperates so its not a general rule that if you are going seperates then you are doing an "upgrade". It might turn out to be a "downgrade" if you get the synergy wrong.

Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline flak-jacket

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 12:03 PM »
none if both types are properly designed. I have seen and heard integrateds that can beat the performance of seperates so its not a general rule that if you are going seperates then you are doing an "upgrade". It might turn out to be a "downgrade" if you get the synergy wrong.

what do you mean by 'properly designed'?

guys please recommend a Rotel stereo pre-amp/stereo power amp combo or a Rotel integrated amp to be paired with a B&W 683 FS. thanks!  :)
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2008 at 12:33 PM by predator »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 12:37 PM »
Since you're preparing your room for the two set-ups, I suggest you seriously look into accoustically treating the room.  That's 50% of the sound going into your ears.  Differences betweem gears can be incremental.  Frankly I can go blindfolded and just get any decent well made electronics and speakers out there.  But if your room is not properly treated, not even the most expensive electronics can deliver the sound as it was recorded.   ;D  Just visit a Bose showroom with well-engineered accoustics and realize how a mediocre gear can sound pleasant.  But put a P4M Nautilus+Bryston in an untreated room and they can be unlistenable over long periods.  ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2008 at 12:45 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline flak-jacket

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 01:12 PM »
Since you're preparing your room for the two set-ups, I suggest you seriously look into accoustically treating the room.  That's 50% of the sound going into your ears.  Differences betweem gears can be incremental.  Frankly I can go blindfolded and just get any decent well made electronics and speakers out there.  But if your room is not properly treated, not even the most expensive electronics can deliver the sound as it was recorded.   ;D  Just visit a Bose showroom with well-engineered accoustics and realize how a mediocre gear can sound pleasant.  But put a P4M Nautilus+Bryston in an untreated room and they can be unlistenable over long periods.  ;D

yup, im doing my homework regarding the acoustic treatment of my 'studio theater'. i've been doing a lot of reasearch on the net and i've learned a lot already.  ;D

Offline Philjonc

• Collector
  • I just love music...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 01:27 PM »
*The genre of music you usually listen to is the first thing to consider in building a 2-channel audio set-up. Audio system selection depends on your taste.
*I have heard the sound characteristic of the titan monitor and i liked it, very open sounding speakers. very good for audio( base on my taste :-*).

visit A/V distributors and shops, dont get tired of auditioning. enjoy!

Offline flak-jacket

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 01:37 PM »
*The genre of music you usually listen to is the first thing to consider in building a 2-channel audio set-up. Audio system selection depends on your taste.

i usually listen to mellow jazz music and music which is more on vocals and instruments, other genres like rock/r&b/pop/ sa ipod pwede na hehehe.  ;D

*I have heard the sound characteristic of the titan monitor and i liked it, very open sounding speakers. very good for audio( base on my taste :-*).

sir im planning to use the Paradigm Titan Monitors for HT, B&W 683's for 2-channel music.  :)

visit A/V distributors and shops, dont get tired of auditioning. enjoy!

will do sir! thanks.  ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2008 at 01:39 PM by predator »

Offline Philjonc

• Collector
  • I just love music...
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 02:02 PM »
i usually listen to mellow jazz music and music which is more on vocals and instruments, other genres like rock/r&b/pop/ sa ipod pwede na hehehe.  ;D

sir im planning to use the Paradigm Titan Monitors for HT, B&W 683's for 2-channel music.  :)

will do sir! thanks.  ;D

sir, try the titans on your types of music baka ma-satisfy ka instead of buying another set like the 683. then upgrade your speakers when you are already familiar with the types and characters of the audio system. by then baka you're in the tube route.

dont just read it...hear it. ;)

Offline flak-jacket

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 02:24 PM »
sir, try the titans on your types of music baka ma-satisfy ka instead of buying another set like the 683. then upgrade your speakers when you are already familiar with the types and characters of the audio system. by then baka you're in the tube route.

so the Paradigm Titan Monitors will handle both HT and Music? if yes, do i still need to get a stereo pre-amp/stereo power amp combo or integrated amp? or just connect a cd player to the receiver? im also contemplating on using a power amp for the HT receiver.  :)

Offline Philjonc

• Collector
  • I just love music...
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 04:19 PM »
to answer your question, yes, the titan monitor will handle both HT and Music.
it is always best to have a separate dedicated amp for music may it be separates or integrated, SS or tubed. but since you 're starting to build your own audio system, i suggest get a very good receiver ( there are fellow members here who can help you choose the right powerful AVR), connect your blueray/hd/dvd player (if you dont have dedicated cd player yet) then start from there.

Offline flak-jacket

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 05:01 PM »
to answer your question, yes, the titan monitor will handle both HT and Music.
it is always best to have a separate dedicated amp for music may it be separates or integrated, SS or tubed. but since you 're starting to build your own audio system, i suggest get a very good receiver ( there are fellow members here who can help you choose the right powerful AVR), connect your blueray/hd/dvd player (if you dont have dedicated cd player yet) then start from there.

thanks for the suggestion. i want a dedicated music setup para walang compromise in terms of performance.  :)

Offline Philjonc

• Collector
  • I just love music...
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 05:14 PM »
thanks for the suggestion. i want a dedicated music setup para walang compromise in terms of performance.  :)

best decision.
are you into performance regardless of the price tag?

Offline flak-jacket

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 05:17 PM »
best decision.
are you into performance regardless of the price tag?

yup, basta medyo reasonable pa din ang price tag.  ;D

that's why i indicated in my first post that i'll be using a B&W FS for the 2-channel music setup, para dedicated talaga sa HT yung Paradigm Titan Monitors.  :)

i don't want to 'skimp out' on the important gears like the receivers and power amps kaya im controlling the itch to pull the trigger on this project, tuloy pa din ang pag iipon para hindi mabitin sa funding.  ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2008 at 05:21 PM by predator »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 06:09 PM »
For music, try Dynaudios (have to be well powered). Highly recommended. They will not dissapoint in music.

Try also other musical speakers like ProAc, etc. Its a SEA of choices out there.

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 06:43 PM »
Sir Predator - if you're dead set with using B&W and Rotels (seps or integ), do visit Sound Dimension in Parksquare, Makati. SD deals with those 2 brands. Just go in & audition what they have.

If however you could still be swayed into looking at other brands - I'm very sure the esteemed members of this forum would be more than happy to suggest excellent sounding/matching components from lo-end to very hi-end if you wish ;D

Offline flak-jacket

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 07:17 PM »
For music, try Dynaudios (have to be well powered). Highly recommended. They will not dissapoint in music.

Try also other musical speakers like ProAc, etc. Its a SEA of choices out there.

thanks for the recommendations!  :)

Sir Predator - if you're dead set with using B&W and Rotels (seps or integ), do visit Sound Dimension in Parksquare, Makati. SD deals with those 2 brands. Just go in & audition what they have.

hehe napaghahalata ba na brand conscious ako when it comes to gears? ;D

called up SD earlier, B&W 602S3 ang available sa kanila for demo, walang B&W 683 FS.

If however you could still be swayed into looking at other brands - I'm very sure the esteemed members of this forum would be more than happy to suggest excellent sounding/matching components from lo-end to very hi-end if you wish ;D

yeah, keep the suggestions coming!  :)

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #18 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 07:24 PM »
im currently planning a separate setup for HT and 2-channel music listening... i want to have the best of both worlds so i've decided to go on this route. im not really rushing on this one since im still carefully planning the renovation of my 25sqm. room. ;D

Home Theater

• Paradigm Titan Monitor BS
• Paradigm Monitor CC-290 Center
• Paradigm Monitor ADP-390 Surrounds
• Velodyne CHT-12R
• Denon 3808

2-channel music listening

• B&W 683 FS

i have read that B&W sings well when paired with Rotel, the question is what do i need?

Stereo Preamplifier? Stereo Power Amplifier? Stereo Receiver?

which manufacturer makes the better CD Player? Rotel or NAD?

TIA  :)
bro, your ht is fine...id give my bow to it already.
for audio, there is nothing better than going separates. keep the ff in mind though:
-your choice of spkrs would depend on your type of music.
-your choice of spkrs and gears would depend on your budget and room size. this is almost always directly proportional.
-there is no better way to go through selection and audition process than to bring things at home and listen inside your own room using your own gears and your own source materials(cd, lp, etc)
-the most important factor in sound is acoustics followed by source material and then the speakers...everything else follows.
-listen to as many brands, models, and combinations as you can. its a good way to train your ears and to know your personal preference.

goodluck sir:)
-
im allan - 09178087173

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Mar 27, 2008 at 10:21 AM »
I separated my audio setup because of my preference to tubes & hybrids. If you dont plan to go tubes or analog, I think you can achieve a musical HT setup using a Rotel pre/pro, Rotel power amps and CDp. plus B&W speakers. Only one setup needed.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline Philjonc

• Collector
  • I just love music...
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Mar 27, 2008 at 12:39 PM »
audition in av shops or we have fellow members here who are accomodating enough to let you hear their audio set-up. members using b&w-rotel combo, paradigm-denon combo,  paradigm-rotel combo and so many other combinations. all you have to do is PM them, not only did you learn something but you also made friends. :D

Offline highwayman

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #21 on: Mar 27, 2008 at 01:14 PM »

i have to agree... best i hv' heard by far, compares with more expensive speakers...

Online synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+104)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 949
« Reply #22 on: Mar 27, 2008 at 01:53 PM »
both B&W and the Dynes are good choices though both are quite a bit expensive. entry level for Dynes would be Php32K (smallest stand mount of the Audience line). B&W's can be had for an amount far less than that but those models are not the last word for musicality.

an all in one rig CAN be achieved. carefull planning lang yan. First the room has to be taken into consideration. Screw this up and no matter how good your gears are you wont be maximizing them to their full potential.  after the room you build around the speakers. Speakers are by far the most important link in the chain.  After the speakers are the other gears like amps, pre/pro, sources. last are the cables. there are audiophile grade stereo gears that can accomodate HT use like audiophile preamps with theater pass through. Another route is getting a main stereo amp with two switchable inputs (balanced and single ended). careful speaker placement and positioning will also be a crucial factor in an all in one set up. daming options. Dont limit yourself by brand preferrence.
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline ProtegeManiac

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Mar 27, 2008 at 02:48 PM »

i have to agree... best i hv' heard by far, compares with more expensive speakers...

what models have you heard? Ive only heard the Audience 52, in my book it would have been the best if the JmLab Chorus 707 didn't make all that detailed, fast, hard-hitting bass. the Dyns' bass seemed realistic, just not "in your face" like the 707, until I heard some notes that were really lacking in lower end response (ie some drums sounded like they were made of paper or carton). the mids and highs were to die for though.

Offline flak-jacket

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Mar 27, 2008 at 02:53 PM »
thanks for the suggestions!  :)

sino gusto mag volunteer as technical consultants pag tinuloy ko na yung project ko? hehehe  ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2008 at 02:58 PM by predator »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Mar 27, 2008 at 03:36 PM »
compares with more expensive speakers...

Exactly the same observation here. Just dont rely on a receiver to power them.

I tried em with a 130w Yamaha 2000 series alone vs. 100w Rotel power amp. No contest.  :D
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2008 at 04:04 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline flak-jacket

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Mar 27, 2008 at 03:44 PM »
If you dont plan to go tubes or analog, I think you can achieve a musical HT setup using a Rotel pre/pro, Rotel power amps and CDp. plus B&W speakers. Only one setup needed.

Just my 2 cents.

sir, eto ba yung mga Rotel pre/pro?

http://www.rotel.com/NA/products/index.htm?cat=24

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Mar 27, 2008 at 03:59 PM »
No those are receivers, its this one:

http://www.rotel.com/NA/products/index.htm?cat=25

Sayang 1069 pre/pro is only HDMI 1.1. I had considered this option.

« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2008 at 04:01 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline flak-jacket

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Mar 27, 2008 at 04:04 PM »
No those are receivers, its this one:

http://www.rotel.com/NA/products/index.htm?cat=25

Sayang 1069 pre/pro is only HDMI 1.1. I had considered this option.

ah... hehe sorry 'bout that. medyo noob ako when it comes to the more complicated audio stuff.  ;D

how much ang Rotel pre/pro?

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Mar 27, 2008 at 04:11 PM »
About 70k, last I asked. Then the 1075 is 57k. IMhO, if you arent going separate  analog/tubes, its still cheaper to do it this way, since its only one setup.

Pre/pro's are usually designed w/ no compromise for music & HT, unlike most receivers. The weight alone will tell you (no amplifier pa yan).

I recently BI'ed my best friend to get a pre-owned Sony 9000ES pre/pro a few months ago and all we can say about the performance was  :o :o :o. Honestly it was very formidable compared to a Rotel pre/pro I borrowed a year ago.

« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2008 at 04:13 PM by MAtZTER »