Author Topic: OPPO DV983H  (Read 47719 times)

Offline mercury724

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Collector
  • Ask 1 2 b 1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: OPPO DV983H
« Reply #240 on: Jun 19, 2008 at 10:25 AM »
Ya have to agree on all you said Pchin. The viva kinda suck nga. I noticed that too. However, the 275pesos viva Enchanted I bought that was priced at 750 before looked really good. I have to agree the one that says imported on the side is really good. I had a sneak peek hehe on this 983 thanks to Pchin, great hospitality. While playing some movies, I don't want to look at which player is playing just to see if I can tell which is HD. I have to tell you on some movies I was insecure to say which is which. I was SCARED to be wrong. ;D When you start looking at buildings and walls thats when you can tell its HD. On close ups on actors/actresses faces it is so close you can make a mistake on which is hd. So the big question. How how the carabao the below 3 1/2 star pq on these hddiscs. Is it worth the upgrade? Anyway the above is just my observation.

On another note, I  also brought my pioneer dv600 for testing there and I wasn't impressed. It also failed a lot of hqv test I think. I was having picture adjustment problem with this player bec I find it too dark on factory settings. So Pchin suggested to use thx optimizer on the player setting mismo. So when I got home I adjusted the player and I have to say it is really impressive, although it failed so much on the hqv at Pchin's place. What a difference calibration makes. I mentioned before that the a35 blows this player away. I tested some james bond ultimate edition again on this pioneer and it really impressed me. I may compare it again to the A35, or I will just let you guys compare in the shootout ;D with more eyes. Of course its hard with only one tv. The best is two tv side by side, same settings.

Lastly, what I can't figure out is on Pchin's hqv test disc, I think this pioneer did not do good on the jaggies test (pls confirm pchin, I can't remember). However, I recently bought a P....ted hqv hd test disc (Test contents are different from pchin's) and it did good on the jaggies ???. IM CONFUSED ;D Maybe I did something wrong or read it wrong.. Anyway just wanna share my experiences and I think its better its done on the shootout bec Im not really a pro like you guys on this. Im having hard time  just to use a calibration disc and all the technical language Im already confused ;D. This is just based on what I see on my tv. Anyway, I think on the big screen it will really show the big difference but the real market situation (mostly people own) is a 40 to 50 inch screen which I hope we can test these players on.
hello moks007, decided ka na bumili ng oppo983? :D i tested the hqv that pchin gave to me nung saturday and to my surprise my pio dv400 failed in all the tests :( ;D and i did dropped by at the place where you got your pira** copy of hqv and i saw also that hqv but parang iba nga yung hqv na binebenta. the ones sold i think is for testing your displays and not the players, whereas paul's copy i think is for the testing of players. correct me paul if i'm wrong.  :)
Me U Cnt P@ss

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2405
« Reply #241 on: Jun 19, 2008 at 10:55 AM »
hello moks007, decided ka na bumili ng oppo983? :D i tested the hqv that pchin gave to me nung saturday and to my surprise my pio dv400 failed in all the tests :( ;D and i did dropped by at the place where you got your pira** copy of hqv and i saw also that hqv but parang iba nga yung hqv na binebenta. the ones sold i think is for testing your displays and not the players, whereas paul's copy i think is for the testing of players. correct me paul if i'm wrong.  :)

Hi mercury724, how are you? You left too early you missed Pchins pansit mirienda, It was really good. I wanna ask for the recipe is its home cooking or where he bought it hehe..Ya the one I bought says silicon optix hqv hd tests. Some of the tests are the same like Pchins. I don't know, this technical stuff Im not sure hehe. Ya I know nga the pioneer did not do well on these tests.  Thats why I really notice the A35 more detailed when Im watching my region 1 dvds its is really sharp. On the Pchins hqv the a35 did really well on the details test. We have to ask Paul  about these discs hehe..

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #242 on: Jun 19, 2008 at 11:06 AM »
I got I am Legend in both SD & BD. Atty barrister is correct as the title was released in both formats simultaneously (from the same master) hence the SD PQ is very impressive! Both discs even have the same chapters. Last night I brought this disc along to Mark's HT to do some preliminary test & wow on his giant screen...it looks marvelous. Almost HD na. :D

Will be interesting to see the actual SD vs HD blindtest. Mark has cooked up a few nice "surprises" for the participants... ;D

Hi Paul! Barrister is correct nga. "I am Legend" SD version is fantastic, even on a 120" screen. You will need eagle eyes to detect the difference.

Your HDMI switcher is also great so we can set up a lot of players for comparison purposes.

Regarding 120" vs. 50" screens, I think there is an important point here, which is that it really depends on your viewing distance. If you are seated far enough from a 120" screen, your ability to detect small differences in pq is really not that different from viewing a 50" screen close-up. My normal viewing distance is more than 20 feet from the screen so I feel the effect is quite similar to watching a 50" screen at, say 8 to 10 feet.

June 28 is shoot-out day!  :)
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline MAtZTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #243 on: Jun 19, 2008 at 11:18 AM »
On another note, I  also brought my pioneer dv600 for testing there and I wasn't impressed. It also failed a lot of hqv test I think. I was having picture adjustment problem with this player bec I find it too dark on factory settings.

I wasnt impressed with my DV-600 when used on a big screen either. My problem was the "mosquito noise" was so evident even with my (then) receiver's faroudja scaler. I couldnt get rid of it despite changing the settings. I havent tried using it with my current receiver's HQV scaler due to that disappointment though.

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #244 on: Jun 19, 2008 at 11:28 AM »
I was initially worried that nobody would be interested in an SD vs BD comparison, but it has now become the most talked-about aspect of the upcoming shootout.

This shootout is shaping up to be one of those pinoydvd projects that can't be duplicated.

The first was the custom-made demo DVD set.  It was a voluminous set compiled by enthusiastic participants.  Others tried a part-2 set, but the follow-up project never got off the ground.

The second was the Dai-ichi DTX subwoofer group buy, where the participants successfully requested Dai-ichi to manufacture a batch of previously phased-out 15-inch subwoofers for the group.  There's an ongoing attempt to organize a DTX 4.15 group buy part 2, but there aren't enough participants this time.

It's likely that this project will never be duplicated in this forum.  That's why I'm rooting for the participants. 

But even in the unlikely event that it is duplicated, the first will always be the most memorable.  Just like the first man on the moon.  Even the kids know that the first man on the moon was Neil Armstrong, but few can cite the name of the second man on the moon (what was that guy's name again?  :D).   
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2008 at 11:40 AM by barrister »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #245 on: Jun 19, 2008 at 12:01 PM »
But even in the unlikely event that it is duplicated, the first will always be the most memorable. 

Ahh, I suddenly remember my first kiss, and my first ...  ;D

The first was the custom-made demo DVD set.  It was a voluminous set compiled by enthusiastic participants.  Others tried a part-2 set, but the follow-up project never got off the ground.

The part 3 of the Demo disk was the meanest & most successful compilation! It even caused so much stir & attacks from all directions, including racksr(not)us.  ;D

Anyway, sir Mark has shown me the demo when I went to his place months ago. This is a wonderful test & I would recommend people who are curious on the differences of SD to HD to attend this.

But pag may lechon baka, count me in... pa take home ha ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2008 at 12:04 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #246 on: Jun 19, 2008 at 12:06 PM »
The part 3 of the Demo disk was the meanest & most successful compilation! It even caused so much stir & attacks from all directions, including racksr(not)us.  ;D

You mean there have already been 3 sets to date? I thought there was only one. 

Well, that just goes to show that the first is always the most memorable  ;D.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #247 on: Jun 19, 2008 at 12:14 PM »
Yes, sir. The first one (3 disk) was made by sir bluray. the 2nd one by mheloy and the 3rd one by bluray again (7 disk uber compilation).

Just to clarify, the "no-copying" policy didnt come from me.  :) I sometimes get blamed for this. :(

Paging master Blu for a bluray demo disk!  ;)

Well, that just goes to show that the first is always the most memorable  ;D.

Ya, lalo na yung first...  :D
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2008 at 12:15 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #248 on: Jun 19, 2008 at 12:32 PM »
The part 3 of the Demo disk was the meanest & most successful compilation!

I totally agree! Everyone was so happy receiving their copy parang a kid getting his precious Christmas gift.  ;D

Just to clarify, the "no-copying" policy didnt come from me.  :) I sometimes get blamed for this. :(

O nga..I still remember the incident...kawawa si Mat.  :-\

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #249 on: Jun 19, 2008 at 01:04 PM »
Your HDMI switcher is also great so we can set up a lot of players for comparison purposes.

June 28 is shoot-out day!  :)

Yup, up to 5 players at the same time! :)  June 28 is near na...one more week to go.  :D

However, I recently bought a P....ted hqv hd test disc (Test contents are different from pchin's) and it did good on the jaggies ???. IM CONFUSED ;D Maybe I did something wrong or read it wrong.

Maybe it's P....ted result hehe...joke lang  ;D I'll give you a copy of the HQV test next week at Mark's place Raymond. Hope you could make it. :)

the ones sold i think is for testing your displays and not the players, whereas paul's copy i think is for the testing of players. correct me paul if i'm wrong.  :)

The HQV that you got can test both your TV & DVD player scaler. :)

-To test the TV, set your player output to 480i.
-To test the player, set your player output to match your display resolution.
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2008 at 01:10 PM by pchin »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #250 on: Jun 19, 2008 at 01:23 PM »
The first one (3 disk) was made by sir bluray. the 2nd one by mheloy and the 3rd one by bluray again (7 disk uber compilation).

I see.  I thought the 7-disc set was the one and only set.  That's the one that will be hard to do again.

Tatanungin ko nga yung best friend mong si Emma Mao ...   ;)  Joke  :D
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2008 at 01:51 PM by barrister »

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #251 on: Jun 19, 2008 at 01:48 PM »
Idea naman ni Paul for the shoot-out is to test the following:

1. Oppo 983
2. Pio 600 or 696
3. Panasonic BD-30
4. Toshiba HD-A35
5. Toshiba HD-XA2 (kindly lent by Ernie)
6. Video processing of Denon 2808
7. Video processing of VP50Pro

We can accept other players but bring your own player.

Right now, our idea is to have 3 types of tests:

1. HQV benchmark test for SD playing
2. Blind SD vs BD test (2 minutes of same clip played with 2 different players). Identify which is BD, which is SD or give up ka
3. Guess if SD or BD (2-minute clip playing on unknown player). Identify if player is BD, SD or give up ka.

Suggestions are welcome.

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #252 on: Jun 19, 2008 at 02:07 PM »

Maybe it's P....ted result hehe...joke lang  ;D I'll give you a copy of the HQV test next week at Mark's place Raymond. Hope you could make it. :)

hehe..thats a good one hehe.. ;D ok thanks for the copy, I can't wait, wanna test my other players to compare. Ya wanna reserve na June 28 in my calendar ;D, I will also bring this p...ted hqv for you to check it out hehe. It should be similar but there are no details test ata

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #253 on: Jun 19, 2008 at 02:21 PM »
Idea naman ni Paul for the shoot-out is to test the following:

1. Oppo 983
2. Pio 600 or 696
3. Panasonic BD-30
4. Toshiba HD-A35
5. Toshiba HD-XA2 (kindly lent by Ernie)
6. Video processing of Denon 2808
7. Video processing of VP50Pro

We can accept other players but bring your own player.

Right now, our idea is to have 3 types of tests:

1. HQV benchmark test for SD playing
2. Blind SD vs BD test (2 minutes of same clip played with 2 different players). Identify which is BD, which is SD or give up ka
3. Guess if SD or BD (2-minute clip playing on unknown player). Identify if player is BD, SD or give up ka.

Suggestions are welcome.

Wow xa2 is listed, that is awesome. Thanks sir Ernie
Sir question lang, what about like for example 983 vs xa2 or a35 vs. 983 etc etc. Standard vs. Standard only, will you guys do these comparisons? So we can tell  how big are the differences of these players SD wise? para to tell for example if one have a unit listed already if its worth the upgrade to the higher end units, or will you just test BD vs SD, on how big is the difference

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #254 on: Jun 19, 2008 at 02:25 PM »
... Standard vs. Standard only, will you guys do these comparisons? So we can tell  how big are the differences of these players SD wise?

Yes, definitely.

The shootout was originally intended to test SD upscaling capabilities. The SD-BD challenge was added later as an afterthought.

Nevertheless, SD upscaling remains the primary objective of the shootout.

« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2008 at 02:29 PM by barrister »

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #255 on: Jun 19, 2008 at 02:31 PM »
Wow xa2 is listed, that is awesome. Thanks sir Ernie
Sir question lang, what about like for example 983 vs xa2 or a35 vs. 983 etc etc. Standard vs. Standard only, will you guys do these comparisons? So we can tell  how big are the differences of these players SD wise? para to tell for example if one have a unit listed already if its worth the upgrade to the higher end units, or will you just test BD vs SD, on how big is the difference

Ok but lets be practical about this. I think that most people would like Pio 600 vs Oppo 983 cuz most people have Pio 600 and are looking to upgrade.

Maybe A35 vs 983 would be interesting cuz I think a lot have the A35.

But I don't know if it would be useful to have XA2 vs any other player cuz very few people have the XA2 and its no longer in production.

Maybe Pio 600 using Denon 2808 video processing vs Oppo 983 would also be good.

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #256 on: Jun 19, 2008 at 02:37 PM »
Ok but lets be practical about this. I think that most people would like Pio 600 vs Oppo 983 cuz most people have Pio 600 and are looking to upgrade.

Maybe A35 vs 983 would be interesting cuz I think a lot have the A35.

But I don't know if it would be useful to have XA2 vs any other player cuz very few people have the XA2 and its no longer in production.

Maybe Pio 600 using Denon 2808 video processing vs Oppo 983 would also be good.

Ya correct, tama ka..Sorry made a mistake on the xa2, Your suggestions are good to me..Excited na..

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #257 on: Jun 19, 2008 at 02:38 PM »
Yes, definitely.

The shootout was originally intended to test SD upscaling capabilities. The SD-BD challenge was added later as an afterthought.

Nevertheless, SD upscaling remains the primary objective of the shootout.

ok hehe excited na..

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #258 on: Jun 19, 2008 at 04:28 PM »
I'm hyped up na talaga, I wanna see the Pio dv-600 vs Oppo 983  ;D

I wonder if the improvement is noticeable talaga  ;D

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #259 on: Jun 19, 2008 at 06:08 PM »
me, i wanted to know the results of this comparo, "Pio 600 using Denon 2808 video processing vs Oppo 983". then i can decide if buying an oppo983 will justify dumping the pio dv600 ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2008 at 02:36 PM by GneW »

Offline dyerds

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #260 on: Jun 19, 2008 at 10:04 PM »
This is also very helpful to us pdvd members who are still undecided to go bd. Balitaan nyo na lang po kami.  ;D

Offline mercury724

• Collector
  • Ask 1 2 b 1
  • Liked:
« Reply #261 on: Jun 20, 2008 at 12:09 AM »
Hi mercury724, how are you? You left too early you missed Pchins pansit mirienda, It was really good. I wanna ask for the recipe is its home cooking or where he bought it hehe..Ya the one I bought says silicon optix hqv hd tests. Some of the tests are the same like Pchins. I don't know, this technical stuff Im not sure hehe. Ya I know nga the pioneer did not do well on these tests.  Thats why I really notice the A35 more detailed when Im watching my region 1 dvds its is really sharp. On the Pchins hqv the a35 did really well on the details test. We have to ask Paul  about these discs hehe..
i'm good bro. :) oo nga eh sabi nga commander ni pchin why leaving so soon may pancit for mirienda...tsk tsk sayang natikman ko sana yung masarap na pancit  :) pero ok lang sa susunod pag nag invite uli si paul. hahahaha! ;D
Me U Cnt P@ss

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
« Reply #262 on: Jun 20, 2008 at 12:43 PM »
isasama pa rin po ba ung PS3?

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #263 on: Jun 20, 2008 at 01:14 PM »

Oo nga.  Maraming interesado sa PS3, pero bakit parang nawala na yata ito sa listahan ng players?
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2008 at 01:15 PM by barrister »

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #264 on: Jun 20, 2008 at 01:33 PM »

Yes, we will include this. We will use the PS3 of Paul. Prelim testing shows it has one of the best pq for SD. Unfortunately, may region lock.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #265 on: Jun 20, 2008 at 01:48 PM »
Mark, hope someone will be able to bring the PS3 along as I will be bringing the OPPO 983. It's quite bulky & heavy to carry both players at the same time...logistic problem.  ;D

leomar, hope you could join us & bring along your PS3. Will be nice for comparison. :)

« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2008 at 01:51 PM by pchin »

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
« Reply #266 on: Jun 20, 2008 at 03:36 PM »
leomar, hope you could join us & bring along your PS3. Will be nice for comparison. :)

I really really love to join this historic event sir, but distance, time and airfare don't allow me too.  :-\
Like to know din *sana* kung may differences ang Blu vs Blurip  ;D ;D     

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #267 on: Jun 20, 2008 at 03:44 PM »
I really really love to join this historic event sir, but distance, time and airfare don't allow me too.  :-\

Ops...my bad! ;D Any other member that also own a PS3 & could participate in this event? :)

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #268 on: Jun 20, 2008 at 04:01 PM »

Hehe. Yes, we will also test "Blurip."  ;D

I am sure na marami malilito dun.  ;D

Offline dyerds

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #269 on: Jun 20, 2008 at 04:33 PM »

I would really like to know what would be the result on this.  ;D