Author Topic: building an HT over again  (Read 1311 times)

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
building an HT over again
« on: May 25, 2008 at 06:21 PM »
i want to re-build a home theater but initially considering a 50inch plasma unless someone here could enlighten me to go the PJ route. here are my considerations:

1) not so much on PQ but i want the picture to get as big as it could get.
2) i dont want to go through the hassle of maintenance such as bulb replacements, and the likes for the next 5yrs upon installing HT. (i could be using the HT for an average of 30 minutes per day on a daily basis (3-4hrs a week or so)
3) ill be using the entire setup inside a dark room
4) my budget for a plasma is 100T. for a PJ, could be around 35T.
5) my viewing distance would be 7 to 8 ft from the display surface.

now, should i go plasma or PJ? what suggested PJ options are out there for my budget?

TIA.
allan-09186604303
im allan - 09178087173

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
Re: building an HT over again
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008 at 05:44 AM »
allan,

let me throw my 2 cents.

1. can get good pic quality on a 50" plasma even using regular dvd
2. plasma is plug and play. you can flip tv channels and dvd almost instantly. but just be cautious with image retention though. PJ has lots of pre-post movie maintenance like cooling down and etc but i may be wrong coz i don't own a PJ.
3. plasma is perfect in a dark room
4. you can get a 50pv70 for less than 100k
5. 8 ft viewing distance will give you more oomph with that tv size. mine is about 12 ft away and the 50" looked small ;D

you can save the sukli of your plasma and buy a 35k PJ later. i am also going into that route but maybe getting an ax200 when the price gets very low ;D but for the meantime i will enjoy using the plasma first until i feel the need to watch a movie on a 100" screen.

weng

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008 at 09:46 AM »
thanks Weng.

im almost definite to go the PJ route. the only thing holding me back is the hassle of bulb replacement. im not sure how long it would last given my 4hrs/wk usage.

ive seen the 98k 50pv70 at SnS. its good actually kaya lang still cannot match the screen size of a PJ. the plasma is tempting..very. :)
im allan - 09178087173

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008 at 12:26 AM »
Go the PJ route. Nothing beats the true theater experience. I had an Epson PJ around 3 years ago and I only consumed 400 hours when I decided to sell it. An Epson PJ is very good for the budget conscious PJ user for one the bulb is the cheapest at around P10k lang. It has a fast power up and power down (less than 5 seconds).

I had the itch to upgrade to a Panasonic AX100. The picture quality is astounding on DVD and Bluray, even on PS3 games. Colors are very vivid. In less than a year, I already consumed more than 240 hours. There are downsides though like the long shut off time. Sometimes takes more than a minute that I decided to buy a UPS for those power fluctuations. The replacement bulb costs around P18k but the enjoyment I get in this PJ is far better than my previous Epson.

Don't think about the lamp life but just enjoy your PJ.  Having a PJ would really create some oohs and ahhs from your guests. Go for it!

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008 at 04:47 AM »
try raise your budget 20% more and get both the 50pv70 plasma plus a projector so once u rebuild ur audio visual room, everything will be complete. i think the 50pv70 costs 85k nlng so probably at 120k eh u'll be able to get both.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline comet

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008 at 11:52 AM »
I concur with sir steelcrazy. I think PJ + plasma will give you the ultimate satisfaction.  PJ, with its viewing size, is the best for movies.  And when you are finished with your movie you can shift to cable viewing via your plasma.  This would save lamp hours for your projector.
I use a projector(Benq) for both movie and cable viewing when I am in my den but would always dream of placing a plasma at the back of the  screen just for TV watching.  Hanggang pangarap muna :)

With a 7 to 8 feet viewing distance, My Benq(DLP) will give a smaller projected size(<84 inches) because of the limited zoom options. I'd go for Panny.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008 at 11:57 AM by comet »

Offline MAtZTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008 at 12:00 PM »
If I was to place my HT setup in my audio room, no compromise, no doubt my answer is to get a PJ.

Why? a flat screen is a reflective surface at the center where your music images. A roll up or motorized screenover an acoustically treated wall at the back is best IMhO. Just roll up the screen when you are listening to music.

I prioritize music over HT, acoustic factors (yes they make a big difference) over convenience. Merging them in one room takes a lot of thinking.  :D

Offline MAtZTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008 at 12:07 PM »
try raise your budget 20% more and get both the 50pv70 plasma plus a projector so once u rebuild ur audio visual room, everything will be complete. i think the 50pv70 costs 85k nlng so probably at 120k eh u'll be able to get both.

My opinion for this (my 2 cents) double display is to get a 32" only for TV watching, special features, etc. then a PJ over it. There has to be a big size gap between the 2.  If you get a 50 incher , it might overlap the function of the PJ and you might find yourself getting lazy to even use your PJ.

That is, in reference to my post above, if this room is not merged with my audio room.

Again, just me 2 cents  :)

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008 at 12:23 PM »
The plan is to put the plasma TV in the living room while the PJ would have to be used exclusively for HT. hence, should be inside the audio room together with my stereo set up.

with this, im planning to divide the audio room in 2 parts such that half would be occupied by the  stereo set up while the remaining 16sqm would be dedicated for the HT. i would have to buy an AV rxver, and another set of 5.1 speakers for this one as i do not want to make use of any stereo gear to power up the HT set up.

i guess id settle for a 50inch plasma(gusto ni kumander kc) and a cheapo PJ as i am not really after the PQ for my HT set up but more on the viewing size only.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008 at 12:57 PM »
i guess id settle for a 50inch plasma(gusto ni kumander kc) and a cheapo PJ as i am not really after the PQ for my HT set up but more on the viewing size only.

post some feedback of the cheapo PJ na pipiliin mo baka gayahin ko na lang rin ;D
i'm sure you won't regret having a 50" plasma. you're like watching bluray movies using a standard dvd.

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008 at 06:10 PM »
The plan is to put the plasma TV in the living room while the PJ would have to be used exclusively for HT. hence, should be inside the audio room together with my stereo set up.

with this, im planning to divide the audio room in 2 parts such that half would be occupied by the  stereo set up while the remaining 16sqm would be dedicated for the HT. i would have to buy an AV rxver, and another set of 5.1 speakers for this one as i do not want to make use of any stereo gear to power up the HT set up.

Pardon me sir pero pagnakita mu yung pagka hi def ng bluray ngaun bka ayaw muna tumingin sa standard definition, he he magiging maselan na ang viewing habits mu. Once you see details sa mga images in hi def movies eh bka magsisi lng kyu. Take ur tym muna sir pag isipan nyu muna before you go for it. 
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008 at 06:24 PM »
alryt. tnx for the caution bro.
exactly same advice that i would give for audio newbies as well :)

"do it right the first and all the time"
im allan - 09178087173

Offline praktikal

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008 at 04:38 PM »

amigo, para sa akin ideal na ang 50" and 70" would be perfect. almost pareho tayo ng viewing distance and before talagang gusto ko ring i-"wow" ang sarili ko and friends with a wide 80"-100" screen BUT nagbago lahat ng ito ng makahiram ako ng projector. after almost 2 hrs of viewing, napagod mata ko  ;D

but that's me...

anong target screen size mo nga pala? try mo din kaya muna manghiram ng PJ.  ;)

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jun 03, 2008 at 07:04 AM »

amigo, para sa akin ideal na ang 50" and 70" would be perfect. almost pareho tayo ng viewing distance and before talagang gusto ko ring i-"wow" ang sarili ko and friends with a wide 80"-100" screen BUT nagbago lahat ng ito ng makahiram ako ng projector. after almost 2 hrs of viewing, napagod mata ko  ;D

but that's me...

anong target screen size mo nga pala? try mo din kaya muna manghiram ng PJ.  ;)
i want it as big as possible for my viewing distance bro....not much on PQ though...just the size.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline docelmo

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #14 on: Jun 03, 2008 at 10:21 AM »

Bro, since your viewing distance is limited (7-8ft) lang, then tama yung 50-70 plasma for your display.
If you use a PJ like mine(BenQ-w100) w/  that viewing distance and assuming you place the pj at 8ft from the screen...the max display will only be about 60" diagonal.The result is you have almost the same size for plasma and PJ!
 ;D
Denon/ GoldenEar Technology/Onkyo/Optoma/Sansui/SVS