Author Topic: Panasonic PV 80 ROCKS HARDER!!!!!!  (Read 70799 times)

Offline WhoKilledMrP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Panasonic PV 80 ROCKS HARDER!!!!!!
« Reply #240 on: Feb 22, 2009 at 12:37 AM »
Tested the Panasonic 42PV80 and the Bravia 40S/V400 at Sights and Sounds this morning. Walking into the store, I thought the testing was merely a formality and that I was pretty much decided on the Bravia, especially since the V400 is capable of 1080p and the PV80 only capable of 720p. But I gotta say, after looking at the two side-by-side, the PV80 most definitely ROCKS HARDER.

When the Bravia series first came out and I would look at the displays everytime I came across it in a mall, I thought, the moment I got the chance, this is the TV I'm getting. But as much as I fought for the V/S 400 in my head the PV80 just looked better (and was also much better value for money).

Thanks for being very accommodating, Sir Vic and SnS! Thanks in particular to John-John who helped my family and I with the demo.

Also, purchased a set of wharfedale 9 series speakers and a Yamaha RXV363. Wednesday delivery and set up can't come soon enough. I wait with bated breath. Woohoo!  :D
Oh, heck. Someone get him some tissue.

Offline isteb

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #241 on: Feb 26, 2009 at 04:54 PM »
hmm... will soon be getting my 50px80 = 50pv80 i understand it's a 720 and perhaps 1080ready? can someone here please direct me to a thread about 1080 ready thread.. am at a loss there.. if i have an upscaling receiver 1080 na siya? am sorry for being redundant about these things...
the conscious water blushed before it's master-Alexander Pope

Offline dimple_guy0619

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #242 on: Feb 26, 2009 at 08:38 PM »
Got Panasonic 42PV80 last month from Sights and Sounds also... di kayo magsisisi. value for money to.... :) ;) ;)
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2009 at 08:39 PM by dimple_guy0619 »

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #243 on: Feb 26, 2009 at 09:22 PM »
... can someone here please direct me to a thread about 1080 ready thread.. am at a loss there.. if i have an upscaling receiver 1080 na siya? ...

I hope this thread helps:

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=88790.0

Offline eksi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #244 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 07:50 AM »
hmm... will soon be getting my 50px80 = 50pv80 i understand it's a 720 and perhaps 1080ready? can someone here please direct me to a thread about 1080 ready thread.. am at a loss there.. if i have an upscaling receiver 1080 na siya? am sorry for being redundant about these things...

yes, PX80 is 720p (native), 1080p ready
there's a thread in avs forum on this model (just search PX80 there)
PX has more features than PV

Offline isteb

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #245 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 12:53 PM »
that was very helpful! thanks!
the conscious water blushed before it's master-Alexander Pope

Offline kahl-el

• Collector
  • Great Krypton !!
  • Liked:
« Reply #246 on: Mar 03, 2009 at 09:52 AM »
Does the 42pv80 support Full-range RGB ?

Thanks.

Offline kakashi

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #247 on: Mar 03, 2009 at 11:01 AM »
Does the 42pv80 support Full-range RGB ?

Thanks.

hmmm, what is full range rgb?  ???

i've been seeing it on my ps3 when watching bluray, I just don't know what it stands for, so I just audtion the options as i see them and select the one that i like the most, but i never really knew what it stood for.

will look forward to answers on this  :D

Offline kahl-el

• Collector
  • Great Krypton !!
  • Liked:
« Reply #248 on: Mar 03, 2009 at 11:26 AM »
Hi Kakashi.

Have you tried turning the Full-range RGB option in your PS3 while its connected to your 42pv80 ? Its supposed to provide better contrast and color.

Thanks.

Offline kakashi

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #249 on: Mar 03, 2009 at 12:19 PM »
i cant remember the setting i chose when i last accessed that area, ill try again later when i get home and then ill post updates if it did come out better  :D

so the full rgb simply provides better contrast/colors? thanks for that  ;D

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #250 on: Mar 03, 2009 at 01:44 PM »
Hi Kakashi.

Have you tried turning the Full-range RGB option in your PS3 while its connected to your 42pv80 ? Its supposed to provide better contrast and color.

Thanks.

Tried it and though colors were better, it became too dark in certain areas wherein you'd get to loose detail. Actually there are links around the Internet advising ps3 users to keep rgb at limited bec only a few T.V's actually benefit from the full rgb range.

Here is one of those links:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10022389-1.html
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2009 at 02:01 PM by Carlo777 »

Offline T33K0Y

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #251 on: Mar 14, 2009 at 03:10 AM »
After weeks of thinking and series of consultations and auditions, I finally gave in and plunged into the plasma bandwagon.. ;D

Needless to say, I got my 50PV80 yesterday afternoon from SnS.  Got a good deal and great service from Sir Vic and his crew..  ;D

Break-in mode muna starting tomorrow..  :)

By the way, I have one question sana... Is it okay to calibrate a brand new unit fresh out of the box? My unit kasi was calibrated na din right away after set up because Vic said baka mahirapan na makabalik technician niya since my location is bulacan and a bit far from manila.  Would appreciate your comments on this.. TIA  ;D 

Let me say thank you nga pala ng marami kay Sir Carlo and Sir Eksi who were both very helpful and generous in giving their inputs and suggestions during the time I was still contemplating on what unit to get (PV80 or the Samsung series 6) and making series of auditions.  :) 

Ty ty sa inyo mga bro..  ;D

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #252 on: Mar 14, 2009 at 03:26 AM »
After weeks of thinking and series of consultations and auditions, I finally gave in and plunged into the plasma bandwagon.. ;D

Needless to say, I got my 50PV80 yesterday afternoon from SnS.  Got a good deal and great service from Sir Vic and his crew..  ;D

By the way, I have one question sana... Is it okay to calibrate a brand new unit fresh out of the box? My unit kasi was calibrated na din right away after set up because Vic said baka mahirapan na makabalik technician niya since my location is bulacan and a bit far from manila.  Would appreciate your comments on this.. TIA  ;D 

Let me say thank you nga pala ng marami kay Sir Carlo and Sir Eksi who were both very helpful and generous in giving their inputs and suggestions during the time I was still contemplating on what unit to get (PV80 or the Samsung series 6) and making series of auditions.  :) 

Cool, the PV80 is a solid unit and it does "rock harder" than any plasma I've seen this year (price to performance taken into consideration). Anyway, saan ka sa bulacan sir?

Offline eksi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #253 on: Mar 14, 2009 at 07:38 AM »

congrats pare :)
its nice to be of help, kahit 'di tayo expert :D
sharing personal experience, in a way, learning din :)

sigurado mag-marathon ka ng LOTR and PIXAR dvd collections mo :D
enjoy your tv pare :)
NMT na siguro next acquisition mo? :D :D :D :D :D

Offline milken

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #254 on: Mar 14, 2009 at 11:34 AM »

Congrats with your new 50pv80.  About calibration, most sites i read recommend burning in the unit before calibrating.  But in your case, it's more practical to calibrate the unit kasi hassle naman kung ibabalik mo pa yng unit.  Remember that plasmas nowadays are not that susceptible to burn in unlike before because of the advancement of technology.  I know some people don't observe the burn in period with their unit and simply enjoy them. No reported serious probs naman.  Don't worry too much, just enjoy your tv. :) But if you must, and for peace of mind, you may want to write down your picture settings and probably turn down the brightness, sharpness, color to around 50 in the meantime, and avoid watching cable tv with stationary channel logo for prolong period of time. 

Have fun. :)

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #255 on: Mar 14, 2009 at 12:16 PM »
my advice to new plasma owners to just run a whitewash for 24 hours.  :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #256 on: Mar 14, 2009 at 12:21 PM »

Let's say you just leave it on zoom 3 on any channel for 24 hours ok na kaya yun? (Setting at cinema only)

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #257 on: Mar 14, 2009 at 12:28 PM »
Let's say you just leave it on zoom 3 on any channel for 24 hours ok na kaya yun? (Setting at cinema only)
white wash is a little different from your regular image/video bro.
white wash really burns the entire screen.  in effect this should "burnin" your tv faster than the usual  :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline T33K0Y

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #258 on: Mar 14, 2009 at 03:36 PM »
Cool, the PV80 is a solid unit and it does "rock harder" than any plasma I've seen this year (price to performance taken into consideration). Anyway, saan ka sa bulacan sir?
I'm from Angat Bulacan sir.

congrats pare :)
its nice to be of help, kahit 'di tayo expert :D
sharing personal experience, in a way, learning din :)

sigurado mag-marathon ka ng LOTR and PIXAR dvd collections mo :D
enjoy your tv pare :)
NMT na siguro next acquisition mo? :D :D :D :D :D
Oo pre, can't wait to do that kaso muka kelangan ko muna mag-break in just to be on the safe side.. kaso si misis atat na atat na.. muka hindi ko na kaya mapigilan baka mag-wala na.. hehehe... :D :D :D

[/quote]
Congrats with your new 50pv80.  About calibration, most sites i read recommend burning in the unit before calibrating.  But in your case, it's more practical to calibrate the unit kasi hassle naman kung ibabalik mo pa yng unit.  Remember that plasmas nowadays are not that susceptible to burn in unlike before because of the advancement of technology.  I know some people don't observe the burn in period with their unit and simply enjoy them. No reported serious probs naman.  Don't worry too much, just enjoy your tv. :) But if you must, and for peace of mind, you may want to write down your picture settings and probably turn down the brightness, sharpness, color to around 50 in the meantime, and avoid watching cable tv with stationary channel logo for prolong period of time. 

Have fun. :)
Thanks for the suggestion, sir :)

thanks sir.. I'll also consider this suggestion of yours.. :)

Offline T33K0Y

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #259 on: Mar 14, 2009 at 06:40 PM »

Guys,

I guess I'll just follow this one from sir Carlo as I think it is the most convenient and a good compromise for those who can't wait to enjoy their new toy like me... :) I also confirmed this with Eksi and he concurred that he also followed the same procedure. 

What's good about this is that you get to break-in the TV while enjoying it at the same time.. Although not to the full potential yet because of minor tweaks in the picture and aspect areas (such as Zoom3 and setting contrast, sharpness, colour and brightness to 25 or 30 in all 4 picture modes: dynamic ,standard, cinema and eco).

What do you think about this mga Sirs.. appreciate your comments... :)

« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2009 at 11:32 AM by t33k0y »

Online thebat

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2193
« Reply #260 on: Mar 14, 2009 at 09:46 PM »
I badly need your help and expert opinion pls!

If you have money to burn, what unit would you buy and go for, 42PV80 or 50PV80  ;D?

I was about to get the 42PV80 kaya lang my bratty lil princess daughter of mine sabi nung tinuro ko yung 42PV80 and told her ito yung bibilhin natin, "ang liit, daddy"! "Why not get this one instead," pointing to the 50PV80! Aaaargh!

Anyway, so what would you get?
Yamaha AVR-S80
Panasonic VIERA TH50PV80H – 50″ PLASMA TV
WDTV
ROKU TV stick
Nextbase portable dvd

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #261 on: Mar 14, 2009 at 11:36 PM »
Guys,

I guess I'll just follow this one from sir Carlo as I think it is the most convenient and a good compromise for those who can't wait to enjoy their new toys like me... :) I also confirmed this with Eksi and he concurred that he also followed the same procedure. 

What's good about this is that you get to break-in the TV while enjoying it at the same time.. Although not to the full potential yet because of minor tweaks in the picture and aspect areas (such as Zoom3 and setting contrast, sharpness, colour and brightness to 25 or 30 in all 4 picture modes: dynamic ,standard, cinema and eco).

What do you think about this mga Sirs.. appreciate your comments... :)

You don't have to lower your settings to the 25-30 level during break-in you could use this:

Contrast 48
Brightness 49
Color 53
Sharpness 47
Tint Middle
Temperature Warm
Color Management Off

HDTV Test recommends these settings during the break-in period, they are good and safe at the same time.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Panasonic-TH42PX80/Settings/

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2009 at 11:38 PM by Carlo777 »

Offline T33K0Y

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #262 on: Mar 15, 2009 at 01:59 AM »
Ok thank you sir :)

Offline milken

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #263 on: Mar 15, 2009 at 02:04 AM »
I badly need your help and expert opinion pls!

If you have money to burn, what unit would you buy and go for, 42PV80 or 50PV80  ;D?

I was about to get the 42PV80 kaya lang my bratty lil princess daughter of mine sabi nung tinuro ko yung 42PV80 and told her ito yung bibilhin natin, "ang liit, daddy"! "Why not get this one instead," pointing to the 50PV80! Aaaargh!

Anyway, so what would you get?

If I have money to burn??  50" syempre.  But kung ano mas sulit... hmm... mahirap mag-advise nyan kasi it's not our money.  Hehehe.. ;)  Seriously, it depends on your budget, room size, viewing distance and how much you are willing to shell out for a plasma tv.  I had the same 'dilemna' around 9 months ago.  I chose the newly released 50PV80 over 42PV80, which at that time, the price diff. is huge (cheaper pa yung outgoing 50PV70).  What motivated me to choose 50PV80 is my desire not to upgrade anymore.  PV80 offers better PQ over PV70.  The bigger the tv, the better the viewing experience...tsaka end of upgrade na. After 50", I'm eyeing on a 1080p projector and not 58" or 65" full HD plasma. Also, the 42" has a resolution of 1024x768, while 50" has a resolution of 1366x768 which is important to me since I hook my PC to my plasma.

On the other hand, you have to bear in mind that 42pv80/42pv8 are better bang for the buck at the moment (price per inch).  TV prices drop so fast.  As much as possible, ayaw ko nang alamin magkano na worth ng tv ko ngayon.. I wouldn't be surprised if for the sum I paid for my tv last year, I can buy 2 42PV8 now..ang laki na ng nilugi. hehehe.  For the same price you pay for 42" today, you can probably buy a 50" next year or two.  There will be never ending itch to upgrade.  Dapat happy ka sa purchase mo.. If you think you might regret not buying the 50", by all means get the 50".  But if you want to save, and it seems you're already set on a 42", buy it na in the meantime regardless of what others tell you and wait for prices of 50" to go down, or perhaps go Full HD 50" or bigger someday.  ;)  
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2009 at 04:59 PM by milken »

Offline T33K0Y

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #264 on: Mar 15, 2009 at 02:19 AM »
+1 ako kay sir milken.. :)

Likewise for me, upgrading or shopping for flat panel stops here (for now :D).

Medyo matagal na siguro ulit mag-papalit.. solve na ko sa PV80 ko...  ;D :o ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2009 at 11:31 AM by t33k0y »

Online thebat

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2193
« Reply #265 on: Mar 15, 2009 at 01:22 PM »
thanks milken and t33koy for your advices.
hmmm, sir Vic has offered me kse a very tempting price for the 50PV80. Parang for me kse the bigger the better (for tv lang ha  ;D), pero parang pwede na din ako makabili ng 2PV80/8 nun (kse need to place 2 flat screen sa 2 kids bedrooms).
I still 2 weeks to decide pa naman since I am still waiting for my budget.

Yamaha AVR-S80
Panasonic VIERA TH50PV80H – 50″ PLASMA TV
WDTV
ROKU TV stick
Nextbase portable dvd

Offline Reply_SnS

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #266 on: Mar 16, 2009 at 01:42 PM »
Special Announcement from Sights and Sounds!

Summer Sale for all our LCD and Plasma units! If you have been holding back from buying a flat panel now is your chance! Avail of our great prices! This promo will run from March 18-March 22!

-Price list sent are for reference purposes only, call or visit shop for lower prices
-No deliveries, pick-up only
-Free Color Calibration after 60 days!

Sights and Sounds 4th level Shangri-La plaza. Numbers 634-17-89-90 Mobile 09175413491

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #267 on: Mar 19, 2009 at 07:09 PM »
Btw, my wife was playing with the picture of the PV80 and came up with these settings

Picture: Cinema

Contrast   80
Brightness  45
Color  55
Sharpness 50
Color temp  cool
Management  ON
PN-R  Strong

This may not be the best settings for a lot us here bec of two factors:

1) She set the temp to cool instead of our usual warm.
2) The PN-R that is always set to off was driven to strong.

However, I noticed two things with these settings:

1) The green trail was less noticeable, switching back to warm made them evident again.
2) The PN-R set to strong gave my PV80 a softer picture definition that was comparable to my PY800 less the "effects" of the Intelligent frame creation.

Again this will not give you cinematic colors and we may want to tweak the contrast, brightness etc etc but leave the cool temp and the PN-R settings to strong and who knows we may have a different look for our PV80.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2009 at 07:19 PM by Carlo777 »

Offline mart

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #268 on: Mar 19, 2009 at 10:25 PM »
Hello mga boss, i recently bought a 42pv80 from SnS. I can say that this plasma unit really rocks! Sobrang impress ang wife that she
is planning to buy another unit that is bigger than than the one i bought. I would like to ask you guys if we were to buy a 50 inch plasma, is it practical to buy the py800 model? Malayo ba ang difference in terms of picture quality if we were to put it side by side with
a pv80 model? Ano pa ba ang ibang important features ang py800 na wala ang pv80? Btw, thank you very much Mr. Vic Chua of SnS
sa walang sawang pagsagot mo sa queries ko kahit via phone or via txt. Sensya na po kung medyo makulit at sobra mag haggle.  :)

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #269 on: Mar 20, 2009 at 01:07 PM »
Hello mga boss, i recently bought a 42pv80 from SnS. I can say that this plasma unit really rocks! Sobrang impress ang wife that she
is planning to buy another unit that is bigger than than the one i bought. I would like to ask you guys if we were to buy a 50 inch plasma, is it practical to buy the py800 model? Malayo ba ang difference in terms of picture quality if we were to put it side by side with
a pv80 model? Ano pa ba ang ibang important features ang py800 na wala ang pv80? Btw, thank you very much Mr. Vic Chua of SnS
sa walang sawang pagsagot mo sa queries ko kahit via phone or via txt. Sensya na po kung medyo makulit at sobra mag haggle.  :)

Hi mart, the py800 and the pv80 are not really miles apart in-terms of pq. The py800 even presents a softer look. I guess the only reason you'd get a py800 aside from the unit being full hd is the "intelligent frame creation" mode which brings out a more "3-D" effect to your movies and smoother motion flow - That's a feature some love while others don't really like the "handy cam" look and feel.

It's best you go to sights and sounds again and have them demo the py800 and ask them to switch on the "intelligent frame creation" feature, so you could judge for yourself if that's worth paying for ;)

Hope the info helps.

« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2009 at 01:24 PM by Carlo777 »