Author Topic: grainy pic  (Read 911 times)

Offline -sniper-

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
grainy pic
« on: Aug 04, 2008 at 08:42 AM »
hi everyone.

due to budgetary constraints, i'm still using a crt for my ht set-up. i noticed just recently that the images appear to be grainy, especially during scenes with a dark background. it's similar to what you experience when you get a poor reception from you cable provider. i don't know if the monitor has something to do with it. or could it be the video cable i use? i find it really irritating. a little help here please...

TIA :)
sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
Re: grainy pic
« Reply #1 on: Aug 04, 2008 at 09:49 AM »
hi everyone.

due to budgetary constraints, i'm still using a crt for my ht set-up. i noticed just recently that the images appear to be grainy, especially during scenes with a dark background. it's similar to what you experience when you get a poor reception from you cable provider. i don't know if the monitor has something to do with it. or could it be the video cable i use? i find it really irritating. a little help here please...

TIA :)

Its pretty common to have grain, especially during dark scenes. Typically, that's the problem of the software - the DVD or even BD/HD DVD. A CRT is actually the best device for reproducing black so I don't think that's the problem.

Why don't you try watching different DVD's and observe if the graininess is constant. You'll probably see that it varies with the software.

In my experience, its quite hard to remove the grain. You need a player or video processor or receiver with good "block noise reduction." For this purpose, the best that I've personally seen is the PS3.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline -sniper-

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go
  • Liked:
Re: grainy pic
« Reply #2 on: Aug 04, 2008 at 10:52 AM »
Its pretty common to have grain, especially during dark scenes. Typically, that's the problem of the software - the DVD or even BD/HD DVD. A CRT is actually the best device for reproducing black so I don't think that's the problem.

thanks so much for that info sir. it's very relieving to know that. :)

Why don't you try watching different DVD's and observe if the graininess is constant. You'll probably see that it varies with the software.

i have already tried watching other dvds. the grain had always been there, except for the animations. and yes, the presence of grains indeed varies with each dvd. some are negligible and some are too hard to ignore.
sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......