Author Topic: 110v into 220v!  (Read 7050 times)

Offline dvd_fan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
110v into 220v!
« on: Aug 14, 2008 at 12:33 AM »
Hi guys, I accidentally plugged my 110v (US model) Onkyo receiver into a 220v outlet.  It now keeps on emitting a clicking sound whenever I plug it into the 110v outlet.  Is it just a matter of replacing the fuse or is it something worse?  Also, where in the vicinity of Makati can I get a replacement fuse should I need one?  thanks!

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
Re: 110v into 220v!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2008 at 09:29 PM »
Ouch...!

Anyway, I do hope no relays were damaged, most often than not, receivers have fail safe circuit boards
to protect the main circuits, if the fuse is at fault it will not turn on at all sir,..

Good luck

Offline Huddaf

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2008 at 01:51 PM »
Clicking sound could be the relay trying to close the circuit so that it can start operating.

Have you checked the fuse? Might want to check that first, either behind the receiver if you have one or there might be a need for you to open the top cover. Be sure to check the Fuse rating, it should be located either in the fuse cover or on the board where you will remove it.

Also, how long before you realize that you connected it to a 220v anyway? Because the receiver can handle 220v for a short period of time say about 5 secs or less. After that you should hear a pop sound and a smoke. Trace the board for any burned cap or smell the transformer for any burn odor.

Do it in that order or have a professional check your receiver.

Sympathize with you Bro!  :(

Offline dvd_fan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2008 at 11:31 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback and sorry for the delayed response. 

I think I was extremely lucky.  I simply replaced the fuse and the unit is now working okay, which brings in a new problem:

the original fuse was 125v 10A.  I can't seem to get any 125v ones here, so am using a 250v 15A fuse.  This was the advise given by the electronics shop: that a higher volt rating requires a higher amperage (??!)  I've searched the net and am getting different responses: voltage doesnt matter, only amperage does; have to use the same voltage; and even fancy R = V/I formulas.

The unit is running ok now with the 250v 15A fuse, but I am worried that its not going to offer any protection if there is a power surge or if someone accidentally plugs it into the wrong outlet again.  So are there any electronics experts out there who can give a definitive answer on what is a good replacement for a 125v/10A glass fuse?  Or better yet, where in Manila can I get a 125v/10A fuse?  (I went  to Alexan in megamall and they only have 250V fuses there).

thanks again

Offline Huddaf

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2008 at 10:33 PM »
Fuse is set to a proper rating to protect the system from... say plugging it to a 220v?  :D

Now that you have a higher rating fuse, it would take a lot more effort for the fuse to break before protecting the system for overload. What i mean to say is that if your system has a 125v 10A rating, a voltage input of over 125v will automatically trip the fuse. Same with the current of over 10A. But now, it would take a higher input voltage and a higher current before the fuse breaks. Thus, it may not protect your system the way it protected itself the first time.

To cut the story short, fuse rating are set for a reason. Your system can only protect it from overload, over voltage if the fuse is at the right rating. This time around, it would probably burn your board or burst some caps before the fuse breaks.

Well, if you cant find any fuse with the same rating, try tp find the ones thats closest. Or you can opt to continue using your current fuse but be more careful plugging your gear this time.

Good job sir!  ;)

Offline alexg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: Sep 07, 2008 at 10:50 PM »
Hi,

I think I was extremely lucky.  I simply replaced the fuse and the unit is now working okay, which brings in a new problem:

the original fuse was 125v 10A.  I can't seem to get any 125v ones here, so am using a 250v 15A fuse.  This was the advise given by the electronics shop: that a higher volt rating requires a higher amperage (??!)  I've searched the net and am getting different responses: voltage doesnt matter, only amperage does; have to use the same voltage; and even fancy R = V/I formulas.

The unit is running ok now with the 250v 15A fuse, but I am worried that its not going to offer any protection if there is a power surge or if someone accidentally plugs it into the wrong outlet again.  So are there any electronics experts out there who can give a definitive answer on what is a good replacement for a 125v/10A glass fuse?  Or better yet, where in Manila can I get a 125v/10A fuse?  (I went  to Alexan in megamall and they only have 250V fuses there).

thanks again

I would use 250V 5A fuse.
I went fishing the other day, and I caught a BIG ONE!

Offline Hicks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 09:05 AM »
Use a 10 ampere fuse.
The voltage doesn't really matter.

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #7 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 09:37 AM »
Hi,

thanks again

You should get the same rating fuse, so that when you plugged it into 220V the next time you are still protected...

125V fuse are seldom sold here because of our 220V line voltage...

Better yet, convert it to 220V so you'll have no more worries... unless you'll bring it back to the states...

Offline jpeg

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • I don't care what you think...
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 2008 at 11:25 AM »
Would also like to ask for help! :'( Plugged my 110v subwoofer to 220v. Popped twice really hard then had a burning scent.

How do I fix it? Any good and cheap place where I could have it fixed?

Thanks.

Jason
Rega DAC, SVS MBS 01,  Bada DC-222, B&W 705/HTM7, Denon 3300

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2008 at 03:05 PM »
Up ko lang ito.  I have the usual problem, Jap surplus TV plugged into 220V by the helper.

Sana meron ditong magrecommend ng good and honest technician?  Yung makatotoo at di manloloko.  Baka kasi fuse lang pala problema, tapos circuit board ang singil.   >:(

Help naman po.  Recommendations are welcome.  I'm from Greenwoods Pasig-Cainta.

Offline jojitv

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2008 at 09:44 AM »
Up ko lang ito.  I have the usual problem, Jap surplus TV plugged into 220V by the helper.

Sana meron ditong magrecommend ng good and honest technician?  Yung makatotoo at di manloloko.  Baka kasi fuse lang pala problema, tapos circuit board ang singil.   >:(

Help naman po.  Recommendations are welcome.  I'm from Greenwoods Pasig-Cainta.

Uy neighbor lang pala tayo. :) Na-try mo na ba yung electronics shop malapit sa ministop?
SARS!!!

Offline paolorenzo

• DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2008 at 09:41 AM »
Uy neighbor lang pala tayo. :) Na-try mo na ba yung electronics shop malapit sa ministop?

Hey neighbor.  I've asked na, pero medyo namahalan ako sa quote nila.

Pero I'll probably end up there rin, kasi nag-lakas loob ako buksan yung TV last night.  Nabuhayan ako ng loob kasi may busted fuse ako nakita (125V/7A).  Bought a 220V/5A and 220V/8A fuse sa Ace Hardware.  Unfortunately, the damage may have spread, kasi both fuses got busted as soon as I plugged the unit in (110V).  May short spark sa katabing IC, at umusok.  Look like something else needs to be replaced.

Offline jojitv

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2008 at 08:48 AM »

Pero I'll probably end up there rin, kasi nag-lakas loob ako buksan yung TV last night.  Nabuhayan ako ng loob kasi may busted fuse ako nakita (125V/7A).  Bought a 220V/5A and 220V/8A fuse sa Ace Hardware.  Unfortunately, the damage may have spread, kasi both fuses got busted as soon as I plugged the unit in (110V).  May short spark sa katabing IC, at umusok.  Look like something else needs to be replaced.

Ouch! Better have the experts try their luck.
SARS!!!

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2008 at 08:58 PM »

Bro to make simple replacement for fuses try to use this simple formula:
This is good for 100, 110, 120 rated fuse to replace with rated 220V fuse.
Voltage (V) x Current (I) = Watts (VA)
example : Fuse 110V/10A how to replace with 220V rated fuse?????????
110 x 10 = 1,100VA or 1.1KVA

Given the Voltage and the Power: Voltage (220v) and Power (1,100VA)
1,100 / 220 = 5 Amp

So ang kukunin mo 220V with rated 5amps(220/5)

****This is just How alexg previous reply on how he came up with his fuse rating recommendation.
Hope this help ???

NOTE:
As much as possible getting lower rating nearest to your computation is safer than getting higher ratings. (e.g) 4.5A better get 4A rather than 5A
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2008 at 09:04 PM by odyopayl »
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline paolorenzo

• DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2008 at 02:49 PM »
Thanks for the tip sir odyopayl.

Nag-lakas loob ako bumyahe sa pier.  Pinaayos ko kay sir Rover/Eboy yung surplus TV.  Grabe, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED talaga si sir Rover!  Ang husay!  Meron pa silang tweak sa jap tuner para makuha mo ang ABS-CBN channel 2.  Siguro kapamilya si sir Rover.  ;D

Galeng galeng talaga.  Naayos na yung 100v plugged to 220v problem ko, nadagdagan pa ng channel2, at may bagong Sony remote pa (imitation).  All for a very affordable price.  Sulit na sulit ang biyahe ko kanina all the way to the pier (from Cainta).  Panalo!

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2008 at 03:26 PM »
Thanks for the tip sir odyopayl.

Nag-lakas loob ako bumyahe sa pier.  Pinaayos ko kay sir Rover/Eboy yung surplus TV.  Grabe, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED talaga si sir Rover!  Ang husay!  Meron pa silang tweak sa jap tuner para makuha mo ang ABS-CBN channel 2.  Siguro kapamilya si sir Rover.  ;D

Galeng galeng talaga.  Naayos na yung 100v plugged to 220v problem ko, nadagdagan pa ng channel2, at may bagong Sony remote pa (imitation).  All for a very affordable price.  Sulit na sulit ang biyahe ko kanina all the way to the pier (from Cainta).  Panalo!

so ano talaga ang ni replace sir sa naging problema sir pao, if you dont mind?  :)

Offline paolorenzo

• DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2008 at 09:50 PM »
so ano talaga ang ni replace sir sa naging problema sir pao, if you dont mind?  :)

Sa power board, meron katabi yung fuse na capacitor.  Looks something like this (grey lang kulay)...