Author Topic: 26" LCD monitor as full HDTV  (Read 2258 times)

Offline akyatbundok

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
26" LCD monitor as full HDTV
« on: Aug 16, 2008 at 03:35 PM »
Sorry if this has been posted before:

Has anybody tried using their LCD computer monitor as a dual-purpose HDTV/computer monitor?

I saw a Samsung 2693HM at CompuLink.  It's 1920x1200 so it's capable of full-HD, and the 26" size seems acceptable as a TV in my bedroom.  I know that for a little bit more I can buy a 32" LCD HDTV, but I like to have a high-res monitor for my computer since I'm used to looking at my old 22" LCD monitor.  Then I saw a better looking 26" LCD monitor also from Samsung, the T260HD.

I'm thinking of connecting a computer via DVI, then an upsampling DVD player via HDMI.

Is it a good idea?  The main plan down the road is to get either a 42" Plasma or Projector for the living room, so a smaller one for the bedroom would be nice.  I'm still getting at least a 22" LCD monitor for my computer anyway so I thought maybe I could save by hitting 2 birds with one stone.
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2008 at 03:44 PM by bababundok »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
Re: 26" LCD monitor as full HDTV
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 03:59 PM »
It's a working idea but unfortunately, LCD PC monitor technology and LCD HDTV are totally different in most cases.

In Japan, you can hit 2 birds in one stone if you purchase Eizo or NEC LCD PC monitors worth 150,000 and over yen (around 1,500 dollars and over) that utilize panels of similar grade as HDTVs.   Popular Japanese PC makers are even ordering from Sharp their HDTV class LCDs in order to have high quality high def TV performance for their PCs.   But I think you are talking of much cheaper Korean or Asian brands in the 300-500 dollar range that mostly use TN panel which is only capable of sub-par TV performance.

The "more satisfactory" way to hit 2 birds is think of it the opposite way;  that is, to get the 42 inch HDTV plasma or the 32 inch LCD HDTV and use either one of them as computer monitor as well.   Please verify the resolution of the 42V plasma if you intend to use it for heavy computing.  1MP 32 inch LCD HDTVs are fine but full HD panels are better indeed.

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 04:26 PM »
Thanks for the reply Clondalkin.  I guess I have to choose my compromise.

A 32" HDTV would be great in the bedroom, though I have a feeling I would be looking for something with smaller dot pitch and higher resolution for computer use.

On the other hand, I find a 22" LCD monitor at 1650x1050 to be perfect for my computer use, but the ones I could afford are TN panels so they have somewhat limited color gamut.  For computer work it actually looks good enough for me.

BTW, I come from a CRT TV so I expect to notice some compromise in color depth, it's just that I'm not sure if it would be an acceptable compromise.  Maybe I wouldn't even notice it?

I spend more time in front of the computer than TV or movies.  But either way I still plan get a bigger HDTV in the future.

Offline wunder9

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Aug 16, 2008 at 09:45 PM »
I'm using Samsung 2693hm lcd primarily as pc monitor as well as for watching videos (torrents & dvd). In my case, cost was the biggest consideration. The 2693 is less than half the price of the cheapest 1080p 32inch lcdtv.

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 17, 2008 at 01:55 AM »
Bro, I think I might be going down that path too, even if its just a temporary thing until I save enough for a real HDTV.  It seems the T260HD will take a while to become available, so might as well get the 2693HM.  Hirap ng walang TV!  Would you happen to know if the HDMI input works directly with an upsampling DVD layer or Blu-ray player?

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #5 on: Aug 17, 2008 at 05:21 AM »
I just got the 1.5-inch smaller 24-inch Samsung 2493HM. Check out the link below how PinoyDVD will look like if you get one. :)

The store took 3 weeks to get it to me and I think it is worth the wait. :) Got it at a good price too of 19350. Mind you the version they brought it didn't have a 360-degree stand nor a USB hub. OK lang I guess for the great price.

Offline wunder9

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Aug 17, 2008 at 07:42 AM »
Would you happen to know if the HDMI input works directly with an upsampling DVD layer or Blu-ray player?

The hdmi input should work for an upscaling dvd player or bd player. But i don't have either kind of player & I only use dvi-dvi cable from nvidia8800GT gpu to the 2693.

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Aug 17, 2008 at 10:23 PM »
I just got the 1.5-inch smaller 24-inch Samsung 2493HM. Check out the link below how PinoyDVD will look like if you get one. :)

The store took 3 weeks to get it to me and I think it is worth the wait. :) Got it at a good price too of 19350. Mind you the version they brought it didn't have a 360-degree stand nor a USB hub. OK lang I guess for the great price.

Wow, you were able to pivot the screen?  So this monitor does have a pivoting stand.  Thanks for this; I couldn't confirm it in the store.  Actually I was bent on getting the HP W2207 because of the pivoting stand and HDMI, but 22" seems kinda small for a TV when viewing from the other end of my otherwise small bedroom.  It's huge for a computer monitor though, what more 24" or 26".  Funny how that size becomes small as an HDTV.  Viewing distance changes everything.

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Aug 17, 2008 at 10:28 PM »
The hdmi input should work for an upscaling dvd player or bd player. But i don't have either kind of player & I only use dvi-dvi cable from nvidia8800GT gpu to the 2693.

Thanks.  I think I'll bring my player when I decide to purchase.  Now I have to decide if I need to connect my cable TV or not.  That's the last piece of the puzzle.

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #9 on: Aug 17, 2008 at 10:42 PM »
User manual

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200801/20080130222832437_BN59-00660A-01-Eng.pdf

I got a 46-inch Series 6 a few weeks earlier. It's pretty cool too but I cant pivot and the pixel's 1/2 a millimeter.

In a dark room w/o light source I had to zero the Contrast and zero the Brightness. It will illuminate your room
Good thing with a LCD HDTV is the TV tuner, ports, better speakers and other TV-only parts.
Wow, you were able to pivot the screen?  So this monitor does have a pivoting stand.  Thanks for this; I couldn't confirm it in the store.  Actually I was bent on getting the HP W2207 because of the pivoting stand and HDMI, but 22" seems kinda small for a TV when viewing from the other end of my otherwise small bedroom.  It's huge for a computer monitor though, what more 24" or 26".  Funny how that size becomes small as an HDTV.  Viewing distance changes everything.
« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2008 at 10:46 PM by DViant »

Offline zmarlonz

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Oct 23, 2008 at 12:31 AM »
Does anybody has a price for LCD TV mentioned in the subject? The model is Samsung T260HD.

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/spec.do?group=computersperipherals&type=monitors&subtype=lcd&model_cd=LS26TDNSUV/ZA&fullspec=F

Paging the ever price provider, nemesis and e-reply.

Thank you in advance. 8)

Offline reg13

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2008 at 12:33 AM »
The cheapest T260HD currently being sold in tipidpc is 27.5k. (comes with a free digital camera).

If e-reply or nemesis can beat this price, I am definitely getting one soon.

Offline soulstar

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Mar 13, 2009 at 07:10 PM »
most computer stores at tipidpc sell the T260HD at around P24k with different options [less 1k on cash purchases, 24k (less 2k which can used to purchase in-store products), or P24k at 3 months 0% interest].

With the free 1080p upscaling mini dvd player (worth around $120+ in the US) promo at samsung, i'm really thinking of getting this beauty for my bedroom.  ;D

good think i waited... 

Offline Gwenael

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Mar 13, 2009 at 07:18 PM »
sir soulstar, i'm very much interested as well on this tv for my bedroom setup. would you care to share which store they are offering this with free upscaling dvd player? thanks in advance..

most computer stores at tipidpc sell the T260HD at around P24k with different options [less 1k on cash purchases, 24k (less 2k which can used to purchase in-store products), or P24k at 3 months 0% interest].

With the free 1080p upscaling mini dvd player (worth around $120+ in the US) promo at samsung, i'm really thinking of getting this beauty for my bedroom.  ;D

good think i waited... 
marantz sr8001; dv6001
aaudio 15" coaxial; surrounds
panasonic 42pv70h
sony ps3
hdpro

Offline dr. jekyll

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Mar 19, 2009 at 05:47 PM »
Thanks.  I think I'll bring my player when I decide to purchase.  Now I have to decide if I need to connect my cable TV or not.  That's the last piece of the puzzle.

Sir, out of curiosity, did you ever push thru with your purchase? If so, any interesting feedback? Thanks.

Offline xtreme

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Mar 19, 2009 at 06:38 PM »
okay sana yung T260HD,malaki siya...kaso,medyo mahal pa siya,sa ibang shops sa gilmore 27,500 ang benta nito  ??? ???,pero nag-prpromo siya ngayon nasa 22,500 to 230000 ang price niya...

@topic..
actually ako rin,gusto ko rin yung T260HD a,ang laki ng actual size nito base sa nakita ko a... :)
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2009 at 08:15 PM by xtreme »