Author Topic: Dunedain's Little HT Corner  (Read 6916 times)

Offline Dunedain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Spartan E
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Dunedain's Little HT Corner
« Reply #30 on: Oct 12, 2007 at 08:03 AM »
Update! Hooked up a PC to the HDTV last night using a 15-foot VGA cable. PC specs as follows: 3GHz P4, Asus P4P800 mobo with built-in audio card with S/PDIF and optical audio output, 2GB RAM, 512MB GeForce 7600GS (picked this up from Newegg). Click here for specs shown on desktop. Here's the outcome...

Then I configured the audio output to Digital Only.

Stress test result: Video is good (but desktop can only be maximized up to 1360x768 and fills up roughly 80-85% of the HDTV's screen. Audio works well. Best if set at Dolby Digital Plus IIx. So now I started browsing online. Then I went to check DIVX Stage 6 videos from TV Links at full screen. Results below.

Pro: Multimedia items can be downloaded directly, saved, and viewed on HDTV. Digital audio sounds much better than I expected.
Con: Picture's a little bit fuzzy and cannot be increased to fill HDTV's screen.
"Were it so easy."

Offline blackie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #31 on: Oct 19, 2007 at 10:55 PM »
WOOHOOHOOHOO!
 :o :o :o

Great Gear and Excellent Screen Shots!

Cheers!
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline deo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • 'Evening...commissioner :D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #32 on: Oct 24, 2007 at 02:06 AM »
nice! ;D

Offline Dunedain

• Collector
  • Spartan E
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Nov 08, 2007 at 11:51 AM »
Another update.

Current set-up. Right next to the PS3 (lower left) is an AT&T U-Verse receiver with on-board DVR. Sadly, I haven't actually used the DVR part since I can't figure out the time of Avatar: The Last Airbender (Season 3).

Closer look at the toys on the shelves...

Blu-ray movies on the PS3. Also from the Ratatouille disk is the sneak preview of Pixar's next film... ...WALL•E. Also included is a snapshot of a Pixar short entitled Lifted. It's alien abduction meets driving license test. Also are screenshots of 300 on Blu-ray.

Gaming on the PS3. Virtual Fighter 5 and Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

DVD on the PS3. Personally, any upconversion DVD player is much better than the PS3 or X-Box 360.

Gaming on the X-Box 360.

ACE COMBAT 6: Fires of Liberation

HALO 3

HD-DVD on the X-Box 360

Thanks for looking.
"Were it so easy."

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #34 on: Nov 08, 2007 at 12:27 PM »
Nice screen-caps bro :) How do you do it?  A flash-less tripod cam set-up? Or do you have an application that captures the screen when your panel's hooked up to the PC.

Offline Dunedain

• Collector
  • Spartan E
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Nov 08, 2007 at 01:27 PM »
Nice screen-caps bro :) How do you do it?  A flash-less tripod cam set-up? Or do you have an application that captures the screen when your panel's hooked up to the PC.

I'm using a Canon A540. Yes, it's on a tripod. Turned off the flash as well as other lights. Be armed with Duracell batteries for those on-screen moments.
"Were it so easy."

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Nov 08, 2007 at 01:38 PM »
Thanks for the tip.  Great job sir.  Am likewise asking PICHIN on how he came up with his screencaps.  Looks like a direct capture.  Both of you are giving the viewers of this forum quite a treat.  Eye candy!

Many thanks!

Offline Dunedain

• Collector
  • Spartan E
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Nov 09, 2007 at 06:18 PM »
An improvement on the PS3 with the new update. The front panel looks much better. Although, still no games of interest. Moving on.

The DVD upscaler is much better now. Currently pushed it to play Origin: Spirit of the Past DVD at 1080p full (this title is unavailable in any HD format to my understanding). Audio is set at PCM instead of Bitstream but doesn't register in the receiver. Only BD movies and games run on PCM. Not bad. Swapped the basic theme with AirPaint. Pretty colors. I do gripe that when using the browser, it always ask Do you wish to use the plugin? all the time. Here are a few snapshots (that were listed on the 1st post)...

Still no playlist. Yeah, Sort By Release Year excites me... ...NOT!!!

Browser could be of use. But I think I wouldn't to get my e-mails with this. One word: ROOTKIT.

Printer settings? Great. The PS3 can be turned into a Print Server.

Information Board is annoying. I'll figure out how to turn that off.

Block List will be very handy.

DVD playback.

« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2007 at 06:21 PM by Dunedain »
"Were it so easy."

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Nov 11, 2007 at 12:43 AM »
Wow, a jazzed-up PS3 front panel.  Glad you were able to tweak the settings to your advantage bro.  Again - good screen caps.  ;)

Offline Dunedain

• Collector
  • Spartan E
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Apr 04, 2008 at 06:32 AM »
Aha! Finally figured out the audio problem on the PS3. I hope this will give insight to gamers on either or both playing the X-Box 360 and the Playstation 3.

PCM Linear audio output on the PS3. Regardless of whatever setting, it'll really sound like crap stereo (apologies to those still in this listening mode) unless I purchase an Onkyo TX-SR605 which costs US$500, at least. Good thing they're now available at Crutchfield with free S/H and no sales tax. But since my TX-SR604 still works fine, I'll probably wait for the TX-SR605 price to drop or just wait for the next one that's priced right.

Onkyo TX-SR605

PCM Linear is only best when pushing for True HD audio. My current Onkyo TX-SR604 can only push up to normal 5.1 Dolby Digital EX so I had to set the audio output to Bitstream. This is the only setting that's recognized by Dolby Digital EX to convert 5.1-ch to 7.1-ch. I was able to test this on the BD version of Appleseed Ex Machina in the scene where Deunan Knute was having a chat with Nike inside the Bioroid facility. As soon as she walks away (on screen, she walks to the left side), sound starts to pan from left to left side to left rear.

Onkyo TX-SR604

I'd figure as well on the Xbox 360 why the 5.1 Dolby Digital with WMA Pro isn't as "Wow!" as 5.1 Dolby Digital (unless I get the TX-SR605). But since the 5.1 Dolby Digital still works fine, I'll probably stick to these audio settings. It still sounds awesome, regardless. Especially when toggling views in Ace Combat 6. When viewing the plane in 3rd person, the rumbling jet sound would be on the front speakers. But when playing it in 1st person (HUD only) or cockpit view, the rumbling jet sound is now coming from the rear speakers.

Just in case someone's curious what plane is on screen with a weird anime paint scheme, it's a purchased F-15E Strike Eagle: Idolmaster "Chihaya" (Pack-5).

:D
"Were it so easy."

Offline Dunedain

• Collector
  • Spartan E
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Jun 19, 2008 at 01:08 PM »
The game that every PS3 owner looks forward to: METAL GEAR SOLID 4.

These were literally screenshots from my Sony SXRD. Tested this at both 720p and 1080p and both resolutions just looked fine. But I did spend more time on it at 1080p.

Single player or Multi-player? Actually, they're both fun.

Metal Gear Solid 4

Metal Gear Online

I'll make this short. Picture is good. Replaced my Onkyo TX-SR604 to a TX-SR606 with onboard decoding for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio (living room's still pretty much a mess - will take photos when I clean up) purchased from Crutchfield. Result: sound is definitely much better using PCM Linear as opposed to Bitstream because it just feels more solid (although both share the same properties when it comes to sound panning as well as clarity). A couple of instances: (1) whenver Drebin starts his BMP, I could now feel the rumble on the floor (and I'd jump off the sofa simply because it'll suddenly play really loud whenever it starts, and fades as it rolls away); and (2) during a boss fight with Laughing Octopus, I was switching between 3rd person and 1st person, and whenever she calls out "Snake!" or just talks, I'd get a good orientation depending on where she is (based on Snake's front, left side, right side, and behind).

Thanks for looking. Peace out.  ;D
"Were it so easy."

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #41 on: Jun 22, 2008 at 12:19 AM »
nice!  ;D

Offline Dunedain

• Collector
  • Spartan E
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Sep 28, 2008 at 06:33 AM »
Here's an idea for you PS3 owners (it's also a great way to maximize the console's capabilities).  I've been downloading videos from Veoh (specifically unsubbed vids of Macross Frontier at 1280x720, but I also have 704x400 Lunar fansub episodes). Although these are only in 2-ch audio, it's practically no different from the BD versions sold in Japan (even if they're encoded at 1080p). Snapshots taken from Episode 7, these are two screen modes of the same video.

Screen mode set at Normal Resolution (720p upconverted to 1080p)

Screen mode set at Original Resolution (720p)

So what do I do if I only get a 2-ch audio output? I switch to All Channel. Basically, use each section (front, side, rear) to play at stereo.
"Were it so easy."

Offline Huddaf

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #43 on: Dec 24, 2008 at 05:00 PM »
Meri Xmas Bro!

Here's my gift for you while you listen to your Audio Gears!

Offline Mr.H

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #44 on: Dec 24, 2008 at 09:09 PM »

Merry Christmas to you and your family!!!
PMC / SVS PB-12 / Paradigm / Rotel RSX / Vincent CDT/Castle Power LC /Mr.H PowerCords / Emotiva XP-5

Offline Huddaf

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #45 on: Dec 31, 2008 at 08:08 AM »

From one Good Looking Father to Another! Happy New Year!!!