Author Topic: OPPO BD PLAYER --- BDP-S83  (Read 25150 times)

Offline LETOR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: OPPO BD PLAYER --- BDP-S83
« Reply #30 on: Mar 10, 2009 at 10:41 PM »
Would the locked Region A coding considered a big deal regarding playback of original or licensed materials available in the local market? Isn't it that Asia and US have the same regional coding for BD's?

Offline SirLaw11

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Mar 19, 2009 at 10:55 AM »
I've already ordered this player earlier today since i was one of those lucky 2nd wave eap participant. I am gonna test this as soon as it arrives, for my eyes is still set on getting the 09FD for the living room.

Dear >>>>>>,

We would like to cordially invite you to participate in the second round of the BDP-83 Early Adoption Program.  You are one of the 300 potential customers randomly selected to receive this invitation from the list of users interested in the BDP-83 Early Adoption Program.

As you already know from earlier communications, the OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc player is an exciting new product.  We are taking the time and effort to develop it into a full-featured, high-performance player.  The Early Adoption Program provides you an opportunity to purchase and experience the BDP-83 before its official release.  As a condition of participating in this program, we will ask you to vote on whether we should officially release this product based on your first-hand usage experience.  For your reference, the preliminary features and specifications list of the OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player can be found at:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/blu-ray-BDP-83-Features.aspx

If you decide to accept this invitation and participate in the Early Adoption Program, please place your order no later than March 19 9:00 AM Pacific Time using the following link:

http://.........................

The link is unique for your invitation, therefore please do not share it with others.  All orders are subject to verification.  The invitation will expire and the opportunity to participate will be passed on to another customer if we do not receive your order by the aforementioned time.  Participation is governed by the Terms and Conditions listed on our web site:

http://..............

We ask that you please be patient as we must upgrade each unit prior to shipping which we expect to begin on Friday, March 20, 2009 or Monday, March 23, 2009.

Should you decide not to accept the invitation, we kindly ask you to reply to us as soon as possible. This way we can pass the opportunity to another customer.

Thank you very much for your support and we hope to see you in the Early Adoption Program.  Should you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,

Customer Service

OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
[email protected]
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119
Format neutral

Offline ment

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Mar 19, 2009 at 01:27 PM »
region locked BD player is no issue to me kung Region A ang US and Philippines ...... :)

as for universal DVD player ...... oh well ..... still have my trusty pioneer for DVD playback ....

PM me kung sino me plan magparating nito ..... baka maki bili ako .....

Offline SirLaw11

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Mar 31, 2009 at 01:52 PM »
Finally got my Oppo unit. That was almost 2 weeks of torture waiting for this player. Here are the pics so far that i have taken.

Initial testing was done using Elite PRO151FD, Elite SC-09TX, Definitive Mythos ST, Def Tech BP2X and Def tech Mythos 10 for center. I was impressed the way oppo ship this item. There packaging was very good compare to other manufacturers. After i removed the unit from the box, initial set up was a breeze. First thing i did was play my SA audio Miles Davis, i have been reading on what set up to use if playing SA Audio and i followed them. All i can say is that audio is superb to say the least. Same goes for DVD-Audio. The only problem that i have with the DVD-Audio was i cant bitstream it. I have to use LCPM for it to work properly. But I guess that is to be expected because it was a known issue. After changing it to LCPM everything works perfectly. Af far as playing BD movies, i have tried Dark Knight and Bolt. With Dark Knight i was amazed at the depth and the 3 dimentional look that it gave me. I am not exaggerating about the picture quality that i got from oppo coz i use to have the BDP5000 from samsung which is a no slouch in picture quality department. With Bolt, all i can say is WOW. Unbelievable to say the least. I have also tried a couple of SD DVD and SuperBit. And all the rave about the upconverting capabilities of the 983 oppo is no lie coz it mimics everything that the 983 had. Picture was phenomenal. Gladiator was used first as my intial sd dvd, my friend though that he was watching it on hd because of how the picture looks. I will test it more within the next few days. If my initial impression is any indication, there is no doubt that i will vote yes. But before i do vote, i will surely take my time and test this player as extensive as i can. Being able to be in the EAP gave me the opportunity to experience a universal player that is almost perfect and will not break your wallet. As my friend said when he saw me playing with the oppo. " I sure wish my elite BDP-09FD plays DVD-A and SACD"
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2009 at 02:38 PM by SirLaw11 »
Format neutral

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #34 on: Mar 31, 2009 at 03:51 PM »
NICE!   :o  :o  :o

is it now available in the market?  ::)  ::)  ::)

or you're one of the selected early adaption participants?...   ;D  :D  ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline JAQY888

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's a bright new world ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Mar 31, 2009 at 04:05 PM »
Finally got my Oppo unit. That was almost 2 weeks of torture waiting for this player. Here are the pics so far that i have taken.

Initial testing was done using Elite PRO151FD, Elite SC-09TX, Definitive Mythos ST, Def Tech BP2X and Def tech Mythos 10 for center. I was impressed the way oppo ship this item. There packaging was very good compare to other manufacturers. After i removed the unit from the box, initial set up was a breeze. First thing i did was play my SA audio Miles Davis, i have been reading on what set up to use if playing SA Audio and i followed them. All i can say is that audio is superb to say the least. Same goes for DVD-Audio. The only problem that i have with the DVD-Audio was i cant bitstream it. I have to use LCPM for it to work properly. But I guess that is to be expected because it was a known issue. After changing it to LCPM everything works perfectly. Af far as playing BD movies, i have tried Dark Knight and Bolt. With Dark Knight i was amazed at the depth and the 3 dimentional look that it gave me. I am not exaggerating about the picture quality that i got from oppo coz i use to have the BDP5000 from samsung which is a no slouch in picture quality department. With Bolt, all i can say is WOW. Unbelievable to say the least. I have also tried a couple of SD DVD and SuperBit. And all the rave about the upconverting capabilities of the 983 oppo is no lie coz it mimics everything that the 983 had. Picture was phenomenal. Gladiator was used first as my intial sd dvd, my friend though that he was watching it on hd because of how the picture looks. I will test it more within the next few days. If my initial impression is any indication, there is no doubt that i will vote yes. But before i do vote, i will surely take my time and test this player as extensive as i can. Being able to be in the EAP gave me the opportunity to experience a universal player that is almost perfect and will not break your wallet. As my friend said when he saw me playing with the oppo. " I sure wish my elite BDP-09FD plays DVD-A and SACD"

WOW !!! AFAIK, you are the first pdvd member to get hold of this BD player.
Will be awaiting more feedbacks from you regarding this player ..... Congratz !!!!!
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2009 at 04:06 PM by JAQY888 »
50pv70;AX200E
NR-808;TX-8555;EX442;SuV85a
Dali-Ikon7;Paradigm-11;SVS-PB12+;B&W
RegaP3;OPPO;CDT15

Offline JAQY888

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's a bright new world ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Mar 31, 2009 at 04:08 PM »

hmmmmm, I definitely smell an upgrade, brader Mon ......  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

GO GO GO !!!!!!
50pv70;AX200E
NR-808;TX-8555;EX442;SuV85a
Dali-Ikon7;Paradigm-11;SVS-PB12+;B&W
RegaP3;OPPO;CDT15

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Mar 31, 2009 at 04:37 PM »
hmmmmm, I definitely smell an upgrade, brader Mon ......  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

GO GO GO !!!!!!

nagtatanong lang po....  ::)  ::)  ::) 

;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #38 on: Mar 31, 2009 at 06:25 PM »
How I wish the DVD portion of this player can be unlocked for all regions...  :( :( :(
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline SirLaw11

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Apr 01, 2009 at 01:47 AM »

Thank you, yes i was one of the 2nd batch EAP, i was lucky enough to be chosen to participate in there eap. During my testing, there are 2 problems that i have encountered so far. SuperBit Zorro freezed the first time i tried to play it. After i removed the movie and insert it again it played fine. Also once i got home and unpacked the unit. The remote was not working even though it was working when i tested it out earlier. I unplugged the unit and remove the battery of the remote and put it back in, the result was the same. Remote was not working. Finally i took a spare double A battery and replace the one that came with oppo and walla. The remote worked again, i just find it weird why it happen but hey now its working again. I have tried to play Superman Doomsday SD DVD and the upconverting was better than my A35 and BDP5000. Continued to watch some more SD like Myth and the First Drunken Master. The last time i watch this was with my BDP5000, i thought it looked good already but the BDP83 made it better. For an old movie to look this good, i guess the power of the VRS chip from oppo is really flexing its muscle. I have more movies to test both BD and SD before i can finally say yes when i vote.

Like i said earlier, i am happy that i was chosen and given the opportunity to own there soon to be player in the market. PinoyDVD will surely here from me again after some more testing =)

I decided to play some more movies but unfortunately the remote is not responding again, so i tried the battery trick that i did earlier but alas no avail. So i unplugged the unit and wait for like a minute and then it worked. I called oppo about this and ask to why is this happening. The guy that i spoke to said it could be the remote, coz we tried a couple of ways to sync the remote. But since the remote is functioning again he told me to call them back again if the problem arise again so that they can replace my remote.
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2009 at 03:35 PM by SirLaw11 »
Format neutral

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #40 on: Apr 01, 2009 at 08:38 AM »
Nice preview & congrat SirLaw11 for being among the first to own this gorgeous player!

Pls keep us posted!  ;)

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Apr 01, 2009 at 01:21 PM »
Thanks! SirLaw11, congratz for being first to own this most awaited BD player in the market... esp. those who owned Oppo DVdp.  :o  :o  :o

Yes! keep us posted of any feedback about the unit...  ;D  ;D  ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #42 on: Apr 02, 2009 at 07:01 AM »

oohlala!!!

its officially out! (to the beta testers anyway)

very nice initial impressions.  :o :o :o

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2400
« Reply #43 on: Apr 02, 2009 at 09:58 AM »
Congrats sirlaw on your purchase. Ganda. I'm just wondering one thing. Is there a difference in PQ "blu-ray wise" on lets say this player vs. PS3, Sony s350, panasonic 35, samsung 1500 etc. etc.?
Anybody have info on this?

I haven't compared my ps3 and sony350 (blu-ray pq wise). But looks parang the same lang

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2009 at 09:03 AM »
From OPPO:

Dear ABC,

The BDP-83 Early Adoption Program has successfully come to an end with 89.1% voting in favor of releasing the BDP-83. Valuable feedback from our early adoption customers and beta testers has helped us shape the BDP-83 into a truly exceptional product.

Due to limited initial availability, we are offering priority ordering for customers that signed up early for the OPPO Blu-ray Interest List. If you would like to place a priority order for the BDP-83, please follow the special link below.....

Very tempting but no budget at the moment...hay  :-\

Offline ravel

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Jun 02, 2009 at 09:46 AM »
Guys, have you seen Oppo's product (players) line in their website?  Only the the DV-980H is now available and the soon to release BDP-83.  They've taken out the DV-981HD and DV-983H.  Any news how much would be the official selling price for the BDP-83?  I guess its almost the same with the 983, which is problably the reason why they've taken it out?

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Jun 02, 2009 at 06:51 PM »
$599 SRP. $499 for those who are eligible to pre-order.

Link
« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2009 at 07:14 PM by blued888 »

Offline TOY 01

• Trade Count: (+323)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Jun 02, 2009 at 06:53 PM »
Guys, have you seen Oppo's product (players) line in their website?  Only the the DV-980H is now available and the soon to release BDP-83.  They've taken out the DV-981HD and DV-983H.  Any news how much would be the official selling price for the BDP-83?  I guess its almost the same with the 983, which is problably the reason why they've taken it out?

Bro alam ko meron nagbebenta sa PDVD marketplace nito...
« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2009 at 06:56 PM by TOY 01 »
Allan 0917-8975003 (Please indicate username)

Offline TOY 01

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Jul 01, 2009 at 02:02 PM »
OPPO BDP-83 to be released on July 6, 2009

Link

As from the link, you can make this player able to play all regions for both DVDs and BDs.

Download the correct region-free firmware that matches the "official" firmware currently on the player:
http://www.codefreedvd.com/dvd_oppo_bdp83_multiregion_firmware.html

Then, to change the Blu-ray region, enter one of the following 4 digit codes while on the setup menu.

7891 : Region A and region free DVD
7892 : Region B and region free DVD
7893 : Region C and region free DVD
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2009 at 02:07 PM by TOY 01 »

Offline oReOsHaKe

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Jul 01, 2009 at 02:25 PM »

Link

As from the link, you can make this player able to play all regions for both DVDs and BDs.

Download the correct region-free firmware that matches the "official" firmware currently on the player:

Then, to change the Blu-ray region, enter one of the following 4 digit codes while on the setup menu.

That's more like it..  ;D ;D ;D
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline TOY 01

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Jul 01, 2009 at 02:31 PM »
If DVD playback of this player is as good as my OPPO 983 and BD playback is as good or better than my PANASONIC BD 30, I might go with this and sell both my OPPO 983 and PANA BD 30..

Doc mukhang matutuloy na ito... ;D ;D ;D

Tapos Autovolt pa.... :D :D
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2009 at 02:41 PM by TOY 01 »

Offline oReOsHaKe

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Jul 01, 2009 at 02:43 PM »
Doc mukhang matutuloy na ito... ;D ;D ;D

Tapos Autovolt pa.... :D :D

Isip isip..  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Blu-devil

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • DVD Addict
  • The Bible, The Worlds Most Famous Work of Fiction
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #52 on: Jul 01, 2009 at 07:10 PM »
There is already a Multi-region DVD AND Blu-ray hack available online for this player and it only came out today. Price is $499 and will move quicker than sh@t off a hot snovel.
Denon AVR-4400H: Denon PMA520AE: DMP-UB400: Epson EH-TW9400: Jamo 7.1.4 Atmos Speakers: 135” screen

Offline ment

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jul 01, 2009 at 09:28 PM »

Link

would it sell lower than $499?? i find it too pricey vs Hacked Panasonic BD players

Offline oReOsHaKe

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Jul 01, 2009 at 10:19 PM »
would it sell lower than $499?? i find it too pricey vs Hacked Panasonic BD players

But then DVD playing capability of Panasonic BD players is way way off compared to that of the OPPO BDP-83.. I should know.. The OPPO 983H is so much better in terms of DVD playback compared to my Pana BD 30.. The DVD playing mechanism of the BDP-83 is the same as that of the 983H.. In my opinion, Pana BD players is only good for BD playback..

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Jul 02, 2009 at 09:45 AM »
But then DVD playing capability of Panasonic BD players is way way off compared to that of the OPPO BDP-83.. I should know.. The OPPO 983H is so much better in terms of DVD playback compared to my Pana BD 30.. The DVD playing mechanism of the BDP-83 is the same as that of the 983H.. In my opinion, Pana BD players is only good for BD playback..

+1 here doc, nothing compares with oppo for upscaling. specially with the high end model's having the anchor bay vrs chip.  ;D

although $499 is still to steep for me. and oppo pricing has traditionally been very stable.

Offline TOY 01

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Jul 02, 2009 at 03:19 PM »
oppo pricing has traditionally been very stable.

+1

Offline ment

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Jul 02, 2009 at 04:22 PM »
any first hand reviews? :)

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Jul 02, 2009 at 08:37 PM »
any first hand reviews? :)

just go to page 2 of this thread and read sir law's post, since this player will only be available this july, only a few beta testers were given the chance to get a test unit. sir law is one of them (since he lives in the u.s.a), afaik, its a pretty good machine from his opinion. but as i have said. $499 + shipping here, still too steep for me.  :)

Offline mandyb

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #59 on: Jul 04, 2009 at 11:11 PM »
this seems like a sensible player so far from spec and review, would anyone know if this can play mkv files yet?