Author Topic: Getting The Most Out Of An Old School RPTV  (Read 538 times)

Offline tubeconnection

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Getting The Most Out Of An Old School RPTV
« on: Sep 09, 2008 at 11:34 AM »
Got a hand-me-down "old school" Sony 63 inch rear projection TV, the one with the really big boxy cabinet enclosure that takes up lots of space. circa early to mid 90's. The picture quality is still good, though as you would expect, not anywhere near as bright as today's generation of monitors

My question is this, the manual says it has 720 line of resolution, but it only has the standard composite inputs and one S-video input, which was probably the highest standard during it's time. Is there a way you can actually use all those 700 plus line of resolution using only those inputs? I would find it strange they would manufacture something like this, with that much resolution in it's day, if there wasn't a standard or format that would take advantage of all that resolution. I know S-video can give you in resolution of 480i but that's still short of the 700 plus lines this set is capable of.

Does anyone have any idea or suggestions on how to exploit the full resolution this set is capable of? Thanks

Offline taurus_cute

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Getting The Most Out Of An Old School RPTV
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2008 at 12:06 PM »
No way you could improved the picture to its declared maximal line resolution. The best you could do is permanently used an S-video cable. Preferably a good model like Monster (IXOS is cheaper but the Monster simply delivers a measurable sharper picture). Because the TV could not be "upgraded" in any way internally - the best chance of squeezing more life out of it would now depend on your DVD player. Take a very decent model which got a Faroudja DCDi scaler chip, like a Denon or Onkyo. You could distinguished immediately that the picture has gotten more colour saturation and contrast.

If you have to used it for TV viewing, turn to a (hacked) satellite system, this is digital and if the decoder box has an S-Video then you're "compleat." Hacked satellite TV - as opposed to expensive Dream, is even better in decoding pixel resolutions as I've evaluated, if the decoder has S-Video it means you're getting a decent box thats a fresher model.

If you need to improved the RPTV more, you can be brave by tinkering with the calibration-adjustment controls at the bottom of the screen. This is a make or break idea because civilians like us are not supposed to touch that. If you'd falter in turning the small knobs it'd shut down your TV - but on the other hand you could arrived to a better picture. The knobs to tinker are the R, G and B. The B representing blue is the one that should be "raised" because its the blue lens that deteriorates fast in any CRT front projector device. Raising it will compensate for a more contrasty picture, as it moderates the red and green.

Thats all I could share in this query.