Author Topic: 120v to 220v conversion of amps/AVRs purchased from the US  (Read 1179 times)

Offline ASuL

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
seaching the net for yamaha rxv 663 in US costs only $350 to $400 without shipping. this is still considerably lower than a bnew one purchased locally (in this case its not even availble here).

i know its much easier to just use a regular transformer but can I have the unit converted to 220v without damaging anything? what do I need to do and will cost much?

thanks in advance...

Offline bass_nut

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 71
Re: 120v to 220v conversion of amps/AVRs purchased from the US
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2008 at 04:44 PM »
searching the net for yamaha rxv 663 in US costs only $350 to $400 without shipping. this is still considerably lower than a bnew one purchased locally (in this case its not even available here).

i know its much easier to just use a regular transformer but can I have the unit converted to 220v without damaging anything? what do I need to do and will cost much?

thanks in advance...

i am not an electrical/electronic expert sir ASuL

based from past experience my tech friends re-tapped some wires of the internal transformer of the unit... these unit were converted "permanently" to 200v without the use of external transformer

external transformers use extra electricity... the heat produced is a form of "unwanted" wasting of electrical energy...

i do hope our experts here will chime in for further enlightenment

best regards,
fer

Offline dana

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2008 at 08:47 AM »
Hi Asul...

just like what bass nut advised, baka po may tapping na rin sa loob ung transformer nya for 220,230 or 240V ac operation...sometimes they do have.
otherwise, baka may selection switch/button rin sa ilalim.
kung wala naman po, I suggest you just buy and 'permanently' pair it with a stepdown transformer or an AVR with 100/110/120Vac outputs ( 500W or higher, depending on your unit load requirement).Ingat lan sa patanggal tanggal baka maisaksak sa 230Vac local outlet (thats why i mentioned to 'permanently' pair it with...)
Pede rin po pa-convert ung built in power transformer but I wouldnt recommend cguro...minsan kasi, sablay ang nag coconvert... and also to preserve the unit for any 'tampering' in case you also plan to sell in the future...buyers usually prefer the 'stock/never been touched' unit.

MHO :)

« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2008 at 08:52 AM by dana »

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 04:17 PM »
Normally, manufacturers who distribute products to both 110v & 220v countries have basically the same components/parts - the difference is in the wiring/tapping. Typically, the power supply can handle 110v-220v, so no worries there.

When I got my Rotel RB-981 power amp from the US, I asked the technical department of B&W to send me instructions/tech manuals for the conversion - which they gladly furnished. I sent these manuals to Jojod who converted the amp successfully ;D

Try & contact the manufacturer & asked if the unit can be converted - if it is possible, then ask for tech diagrams that could aid you in converting. While its possible to DIY it, I'd strongly suggest having one of our electronic guys to help you with it.

Ps. Dont forget to change the fuse after the conversion to a higher rating ;)