Author Topic: Help me choose LCD TV...  (Read 3019 times)

Offline mikejohnny

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Help me choose LCD TV...
« on: Nov 07, 2008 at 05:12 PM »
kindly enlighten me mga sir.

1st time to own this HD thing... nag canvass ako ng samsung brand.

37" series 4 - 59,000, 720p native
32" series 5 - 49,900, 1080i native

add something 10k for full hd blue ray player with 5.1 speaker (forgot the model)
or add 5k for regular HD player. (not yet full HD)

Now, i really like the 37" because its viewing size, but on the other hand i do also like the 32" full hd capability. since i've got 60k hard earned budget for this, should i choose the 32" and enjoy the 1080i technology or stick with the native 720p of 37"?

I'll be purchasing also a blue-ray full hd player. If i play a blue-ray movie using the 37" native 720p, is there a big difference on the outcome when compared on playing it thru 32" 1080i native? sabi kasi sa store, kahit hindi full hd yung kunin kong monitor, i-upscale daw ng tv yun and i'm viewing also like full hd, tama ba explanation nila?

thanks.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
Re: Help me choose LCD TV...
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2008 at 05:35 PM »
I think you mean 1080p native for the 32 full HD panel.

If you like watching no farther than 1.4m away from the screen or as close as approx. 1m, you may see the merit of full high def at 32 inch.    If you use that as a PC monitor - GREAT!!!

Otherwise, bigger is, in most cases, better.

Offline mikejohnny

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2008 at 06:33 PM »
I think you mean 1080p native for the 32 full HD panel.

If you like watching no farther than 1.4m away from the screen or as close as approx. 1m, you may see the merit of full high def at 32 inch.    If you use that as a PC monitor - GREAT!!!

Otherwise, bigger is, in most cases, better.

ok thanks for the correction, it's 1080p.

So does it mean, i can still see vivid details with 37" native 720p as i would when watching in 32" native 1080p?

so it is really better to get the 37" although it's not full hd.

by the way, what video card can you recommend so that i can connect it thru pc? i'm just using an on-board video card but it has a PCIE slot available.

is there a cheap video card with hdmi output?

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2008 at 01:23 PM »
So does it mean, i can still see vivid details with 37" native 720p as i would when watching in 32" native 1080p?

so it is really better to get the 37" although it's not full hd.

by the way, what video card can you recommend so that i can connect it thru pc? i'm just using an on-board video card but it has a PCIE slot available.

is there a cheap video card with hdmi output?

Again, it depends on how far you sit from the TV.

You might even be surprised to notice that for TV and movie application, your non full-HD panel may appear sharper than a full hd one, until you realize that what makes it appear sharper is the lack of resolution.   In the case of Plasma, the grid lines would be visible for 720p panels as you move closer to the monitor.   Why is that?  Full-HD panels tend to smoothen surfaces especially skin complexion.  Having higher resolution doesnt necessary mean more vivid image as more vivid image is "noisier" and kind of edge enhanced.    Higher resolution panel makes the image look cleaner and "more natural".

Pero if you use the HDTV as a PC monitor, no doubt you would see the merits of a full-HD panel instantly.   In case you plan to switch to Plasma, nakakapagod sa mata if you use non full-HD panel because mababa talaga ang resolution. A 1MP LCD would be better for that application.  2MP would be awesome.

I use ATI cards (3870 and 4850).  You need sufficiently powerful cards if you are using a big HDTV as PC monitor.  MABIGAT ang malaking monitor at high resolution.

« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2008 at 01:27 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline mikejohnny

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 09:14 AM »

You might even be surprised to notice that for TV and movie application, your non full-HD panel may appear sharper than a full hd one, until you realize that what makes it appear sharper is the lack of resolution.   In the case of Plasma, the grid lines would be visible for 720p panels as you move closer to the monitor.   Why is that?  Full-HD panels tend to smoothen surfaces especially skin complexion.  Having higher resolution doesnt necessary mean more vivid image as more vivid image is "noisier" and kind of edge enhanced.    Higher resolution panel makes the image look cleaner and "more natural".

Pero if you use the HDTV as a PC monitor, no doubt you would see the merits of a full-HD panel instantly.   In case you plan to switch to Plasma, nakakapagod sa mata if you use non full-HD panel because mababa talaga ang resolution. A 1MP LCD would be better for that application.  2MP would be awesome.

I use ATI cards (3870 and 4850).  You need sufficiently powerful cards if you are using a big HDTV as PC monitor.  MABIGAT ang malaking monitor at high resolution.

thanks for the advise. i'm now incline to get the 32" 5 series full hd instead since it's 10k cheaper than 37". I can use the 10k to build and HTCP instead.

I found complete Gigabyte mobo with built in ATI radeon 3xxx series and HDMI output for 4k only, AMD proc 3k and 2nd hand liteon BD-ROM for 4k.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 10:04 AM »
Think it over very carefully.  For most users, mas nagiging importante ang 37 than 32 especially if the quality of the model is high, not necessarily full HD panel.     If you buy a 32 incher, you might end up wanting to upgrade to a bigger HDTV in next to no time, unless you constantly watch soo close or your viewing room is small.   Trust me, a 32 inch can look smaller so soon in normal Philippine houses.    Try to observe the buying patterns and itch of members who got a 32 inch HDTVs.   In which case, you'd end up spending more money.

Do you really need a 32 inch full HD panel?  How big is your room?  How far is your regular viewing distance?

Offline simonzaide

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • "anything is possible"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 11:23 AM »
i also had the same dilemna i ended up getting a 37 incher and now i have an itch to go 42.. i agree with everyone you have to consider your viewing distance... i suggest you try to audition both units side by side and make a comparison before you make up your mind

Offline milken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 02:14 PM »
I read that you'll reap the full benefits of 1080p in panels bigger than 50".
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6810011-1.html 

In my personal opinion, and to my eyes, buying 32" 1080p is a waste of money as compared to 32" 720p since you'll not notice much difference.  If your tv's primary use is as a computer monitor, then 1080p is the way to go since you'll get more space to fit your data onscreen.

Btw, how much is 37" series 5?  I assume the series 5 are newer technologies as compared to series 4.  LCD technologies move very fast.
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2008 at 02:16 PM by milken »

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 03:31 PM »
thanks for the advise. i'm now incline to get the 32" 5 series full hd instead since it's 10k cheaper than 37". I can use the 10k to build and HTCP instead.

I found complete Gigabyte mobo with built in ATI radeon 3xxx series and HDMI output for 4k only, AMD proc 3k and 2nd hand liteon BD-ROM for 4k.

you can even save more by not buying a full hd panel. for 32", imho, you dont need full hd. save the money and add on to your htpc nalang.  :)

Offline mikejohnny

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 04:06 PM »
again another thank you for everybody.

there's only one 37" and it's series 4. - 59,995. the next one is 40" for series 5 at 80k plus.

32" full hd - 49,995

32" 720p - 42,995

my sala is only 10ft. x 10ft.

i've seen both in personal and i must say i'm really impress with 37" bigger screen.

actually, i'm a event videographer and i'm planning to upgrade all my system including videocams to full hd and soon purchase new editing machines with HD Editing Capability (Matrox RTX2) and offer our clients HD Coverage and have it burn thru BD-RE to have a finish product of blu-ray disc. I've been into research for 1 month already and i'll begin it with monitor.

I just really wanted 32" first since i just want to see how it really looks watching the clarity of a Blue-Ray disc. So i might end up placing it on our sala first while i'm still fixing my budget on upgrading other system.

Once upgrade has been completed by June 2009, i'll transfer the 32" to my office and be my primary LCD monitor for video editing.

And by that time i'm going to purchase a bigger one for our sala, maybe a 37" or 40".

That's why for the meantime i crossed out the 37" , i'm contemplating on getting 32" full hd instead of the 37". but since it won't matter much differences, so what do you think again... if i'll be using the 32" by next year as my primary lcd monitor for video editing, should i get the full hd or the native 720p now?

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 05:00 PM »
Video Editing - mabigat ang requirements mo Bro.

It will be to your eyes' health to use full HD panel for video editing.  That's a lot of hours in front of a monitor.  So as not to buy those high quality, high priced video editing monitors, what I'm thinking is for you to perform video editing using a 24 inch or 26 inch full HD LCD PC monitor.  That is not too expensive. 

Then for final viewing or presentation of the edited video, the 37 inch non HD panel would be just fine.  Just make sure the input of the 37V monitor is 1080p capable.

So my suggestion is to get 2.  Lalong napamahal?

Offline mikejohnny

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 08:45 PM »
Video Editing - mabigat ang requirements mo Bro.

It will be to your eyes' health to use full HD panel for video editing.  That's a lot of hours in front of a monitor.  So as not to buy those high quality, high priced video editing monitors, what I'm thinking is for you to perform video editing using a 24 inch or 26 inch full HD LCD PC monitor.  That is not too expensive. 

Then for final viewing or presentation of the edited video, the 37 inch non HD panel would be just fine.  Just make sure the input of the 37V monitor is 1080p capable.

So my suggestion is to get 2.  Lalong napamahal?

hahaha correct, very stressful in front of monitor. actually i've been in video editing for 11 years already. now i'm using 22" lcd and it's just fine for my eyes.

wait and see na lang muna. till next week pa naman napag usapan namin nung dealer

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2008 at 09:07 AM »
hahaha correct, very stressful in front of monitor. actually i've been in video editing for 11 years already. now i'm using 22" lcd and it's just fine for my eyes.

wait and see na lang muna. till next week pa naman napag usapan namin nung dealer

Bring your edited video to the store and test them yourself.    You would only see the difference between a 32 full HD and 37V 1MP if you look for it.   Since you are an experienced video editor, you would most likely see the difference (I can) -  but your clients would probably appreciate the bigger panel better.

Offline mikejohnny

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2008 at 12:41 PM »
with everybody's post, now i'm more incline in getting 37" and buy separate 24" samsung with hdmi input for video editing, i found one at TPC selling it.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 14, 2008 at 09:15 AM »
Try to find this one.

Hyundai W241DG.   24-inch S-IPS full HD panel but priced at around $475.  I saw it late last night and the viewing angle is really wide (178/178 on paper) compared to the usual TN types (160/170).  Color is quite good too.  Panel is glossy though

Just for your info, 24 inch S-IPS panels made by NEC which video editors and graphic artists use costs more than $1,200.

« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2008 at 09:15 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Nov 14, 2008 at 01:50 PM »
The bigger the better. If you are planning another monitor just save it and use the fund to buy bigger monitor like 40" with full HD capacity! 1080p. or else you will be thingking of an upgrade sooner! Trust me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline KURTZ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Nov 15, 2008 at 08:24 AM »
ahhhhh.... kaya pala!
Just had my 37 ser.4 installed yesterday.  and  when I had my hands on cable tv, the images appear blurry.  Tried much to adjust all the contrast contents but to no avail.  But with the DVDs, the images came in crisp and clear, even using only those pirated dividis with a pseudo blu ray capabilities.  Bought my 37A450 at only P48K, no kidding.

Offline mikejohnny

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Nov 15, 2008 at 08:56 AM »
ahhhhh.... kaya pala!
Just had my 37 ser.4 installed yesterday.  and  when I had my hands on cable tv, the images appear blurry.  Tried much to adjust all the contrast contents but to no avail.  But with the DVDs, the images came in crisp and clear, even using only those pirated dividis with a pseudo blu ray capabilities.  Bought my 37A450 at only P48K, no kidding.

is it the SRP (37" @ 48k)?

i think the SRP of 37" here in pangasinan is 59k then 4k discount if paid cash.

Where did you bought your 4 series?

So you mean, you're not enjoying watching cable fed since images appeared blurry?