Author Topic: HELP...PS 3...To buy in the USA or the Philippines?  (Read 9148 times)

Offline dannielsimone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
HELP...PS 3...To buy in the USA or the Philippines?
« on: Nov 11, 2008 at 01:09 PM »
Cost for 80 Gig in the USA is 399. or 440 US dollars with tax.    Am not sure what the cost is in the phillies?

What do you guys think?

Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline dbdbd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • I'm a Steelbook Addict!
  • Liked:
Re: HELP...PS 3...To buy in the USA or the Philippines?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2008 at 02:25 PM »
IMO it will depend on your usage. Pure gaming get the US version. If you will use it as a dvd player, US version will only play region 1 dvds and Asian version will only play region 3 dvds.
296 BD's
230 Steelbooks
1 Metalpack

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2008 at 06:09 PM »
For warranty purposes, I suggest you buy one from Datablitz.

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2008 at 06:23 PM »
IMO it will depend on your usage. Pure gaming get the US version. If you will use it as a dvd player, US version will only play region 1 dvds and Asian version will only play region 3 dvds.

Is there a region difference when playing Blueray?
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline coffeetiger

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2008 at 07:06 PM »
Yes.  you may refer to this link for BD region coding:  http://www.sony.com.ph/subtype/checkcompatibility/asset/250274/productcategory/hv+bluray+disc+player

We belong to the same region as U.S.  - Region A.  So there should be no problem with playing BD movies from the U.S. even if you get the Asian version.

Datablitz is selling an 80GB Asian version for P21,990.  The 80 GB U.S. version is P25,500.  They give 6 months warranty on service/labor.  Parts not included. 

hope this helps.   :)

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2008 at 07:45 PM »
For warranty purposes, I suggest you buy one from Datablitz.

For a peace of mind yes get a unit locally. As for the ques which edition, that will depend on your entire DVD collection.

Offline simonzaide

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • "anything is possible"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2008 at 08:05 PM »
i agree for warranty purposes i think its safer to buy a unit here... also when shipping an item a lot of things can happen

Offline samlowry

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 12:06 AM »
ditto.... depends on your current library.  Asian version doesn't play US dvds but it plays pirated ones.   ??? :(
Panasonic 58pz800u and BD55
Onkyo 876
Ps3/Xbox360
Dynaudio 6.1

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 04:24 AM »
I am agreeing with you all...to buy one in the phillies.   What is the cost for an 80 gig at data blitz and what is the cost at vira mall in greenhills?  (really looking to buy the console in the philies and the games here in the USA.)

Any other suggestions on where to buy the 80 gig with a good price and warrantee?

Bought 5 games

1)Fight night round 3...cost of 32 bux US

2)Spider man web of shadows...US 64 bux US

3) burn out paradise  30 bux US

4) Sole Calibur 4   64 bux US

5) Madden 09    64 bux US
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2405
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 07:46 AM »
I am agreeing with you all...to buy one in the phillies.   What is the cost for an 80 gig at data blitz and what is the cost at vira mall in greenhills?  (really looking to buy the console in the philies and the games here in the USA.)

Any other suggestions on where to buy the 80 gig with a good price and warrantee?

Bought 5 games

1)Fight night round 3...cost of 32 bux US

2)Spider man web of shadows...US 64 bux US

3) burn out paradise  30 bux US

4) Sole Calibur 4   64 bux US

5) Madden 09    64 bux US

Sir, Coffeetiger already answered this a couple post above, check it out. Like a lot of people are suggesting which I also agree, is to just buy it  locally, bec nga of warranty, hassle, risk of shipping and handling. Also how are you bringing in the ps3? 1. If you will be bringing it in by balikbayan, then the cost of shipment and risk of handling is almost the same (plus and minuses) as buying it here. 2. If by hand carry, man its not worth it, that thing is soooo heavy. I was gonna do that before  when I was in Hong Kong but decided not to bec of how heavy it was. Unless your the incredible hulk ;D 3. Thru your luggage, there is a risk of course of handling. If you arrive, excited, installed the player, then it won't work.  >:( :(..Dude that will be the worse feeling of all. You have to decide/hassle on how to ship it back to your relatives (if you have) in america for the warranty. That to me is hassle. If you buy it locally, just drive up to virramall tapos na.

In virramall you can check with EYO (but I think they only have Region3). I'm not updated with the price but they give pretty good warranty. Like the other members also suggest you can also get it in datablitz (great store also).

You can get all the games there in america bec sometimes they have great deals. I think prices are cheaper by a few hundred pesos. Games are also light and no handling risk. You can also buy bd movies in amazon while your there.  :D
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2008 at 07:48 AM by Moks007 »

Offline jojitv

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 11:53 AM »
Since the price difference is not that big, I would also suggest you get it here due to warranty purposes. You never know when you'll have problems with the lens.
SARS!!!

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 12:20 PM »
Sir, Coffeetiger already answered this a couple post above, check it out. Like a lot of people are suggesting which I also agree, is to just buy it  locally, bec nga of warranty, hassle, risk of shipping and handling. Also how are you bringing in the ps3? 1. If you will be bringing it in by balikbayan, then the cost of shipment and risk of handling is almost the same (plus and minuses) as buying it here. 2. If by hand carry, man its not worth it, that thing is soooo heavy. I was gonna do that before  when I was in Hong Kong but decided not to bec of how heavy it was. Unless your the incredible hulk ;D 3. Thru your luggage, there is a risk of course of handling. If you arrive, excited, installed the player, then it won't work.  >:( :(..Dude that will be the worse feeling of all. You have to decide/hassle on how to ship it back to your relatives (if you have) in america for the warranty. That to me is hassle. If you buy it locally, just drive up to virramall tapos na.

Thanx to you for pointing out cofeetigers post.  Prices are about the same.  So it really makes sense to buy in the Phillies.

AT DATABLITZ  Asian region PS3 is about 22,000 and US version is ABOUT 25,000......IS THERE A DIFFERENCE IN QUALITY?   WHY WOULD US VERSION BE MORE EXPENSIVE?  AND IS THE AMERICAN VERSION 110 VOLT OR 220 VOLT OR DUAL VOLT?

In virramall you can check with EYO (but I think they only have Region3). I'm not updated with the price but they give pretty good warranty. Like the other members also suggest you can also get it in datablitz (great store also).

You can get all the games there in america bec sometimes they have great deals. I think prices are cheaper by a few hundred pesos. Games are also light and no handling risk. You can also buy bd movies in amazon while your there.  :D
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 02:13 PM »
Since the price difference is not that big, I would also suggest you get it here due to warranty purposes. You never know when you'll have problems with the lens.

+1 ;)

Offline coffeetiger

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 03:51 PM »

already posted datablitz unit price as well as warranty (see above).  I will be in greenhills tomorrow and would probably check out prices from other stores as well.  I will let you know.  ;)

I am also planning on getting one for myself.   ;D

Offline coffeetiger

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 04:08 PM »

AT DATABLITZ  Asian region PS3 is about 22,000 and US version is ABOUT 25,000......IS THERE A DIFFERENCE IN QUALITY?   WHY WOULD US VERSION BE MORE EXPENSIVE?  AND IS THE AMERICAN VERSION 110 VOLT OR 220 VOLT OR DUAL VOLT?

i don't really know about difference in quality but some people say asian version is the watered-down version of the US unit in terms of durability... i don't know if this is true, though.

yes, the U.S. version is 110 volts.  not dual.  :(

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #15 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 04:37 PM »
i don't really know about difference in quality but some people say asian version is the watered-down version of the US unit in terms of durability... i don't know if this is true, though.

yes, the U.S. version is 110 volts.  not dual.  :(

walang difference naman siguro, pricing is just different depending on geography, just like any hardware (nagkataon lang na mas mura sa atin than u.s., one of the few instances) its only in the dvd region coding that is different, if its asian, its r3, but for bd playing, it just the same region for asian and u.s.

sometimes iba lang nga yung bundles, and i must say that u.s. bundles for ps3 are way better.

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #16 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 04:39 PM »

That is definitely not true...my HK version is more than a year old. It's still alive & kicking, never go for sevice or repair after so much abuse.... ;D For those unfortunate ones, probably due to a certain batch of production. Overall if not mistaken I think majority of PS3 owners here have the Asian edition. :)  

Offline nogie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #17 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 08:13 PM »
Buying here (Phils.) or US has its advantages & disadvantages...

>You buy here & get warranty from manufacturing defects.
>Buy in the US & usually get bundled free items (5 free BD movies) like what i get last year (October 2007) from my 60GB PS3. Bought for 22k(pesos) sold the BDs for 1.2k each lumalabas 16k na lang yong brand new PS3 ko!!! ;D ;D

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Nov 14, 2008 at 10:11 PM »
Buying here (Phils.) or US has its advantages & disadvantages...

>You buy here & get warranty from manufacturing defects.
>Buy in the US & usually get bundled free items (5 free BD movies) like what i get last year (October 2007) from my 60GB PS3. Bought for 22k(pesos) sold the BDs for 1.2k each lumalabas 16k na lang yong brand new PS3 ko!!! ;D ;D

Currently tere are no great deals on bundles here in the USA.  Console only for 440 bux.  After reading about lemons and lens problems on even new units the warantee seems to be a big factor in buying it locally. 

Any prices for 80 gig units in vira mall or other reliable discount outlets?
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline coffeetiger

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Nov 14, 2008 at 11:33 PM »
Currently tere are no great deals on bundles here in the USA.  Console only for 440 bux.  After reading about lemons and lens problems on even new units the warantee seems to be a big factor in buying it locally. 

went to three shops in virramall yesterday.  this is what i found out:

EYO - 80 GB Asian at P20,500.  Unit only w/ 1 dualshock controller.  They offer lifetime warranty on service, 3 months on parts.

Mr. Dynamic - 80 GB Asian at P24,500.  Unit + 1 dualshock controller + 3 free games of your choice.  They offer 6 months warranty on service and 1 month on parts.

Rockfire - 80 GB Asian at P21,500. Unit only w/ 1 dualshock controller.  Warranty is 1 year on service.  None on parts.

If you are after the warranty, go for EYO.  8)
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2008 at 11:35 PM by coffeetiger »

Offline nogie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #20 on: Nov 15, 2008 at 08:46 AM »

There are still great deals in the US for PS3 but you have to be a US resident for you to avail. My cousin bought his PS3 (2 mos. ago) in Blockbuster Video rentals and he's given 1 year unlimited usage to BD movies & games. Bakit kaya walang deal dito sa Pinas na ganito kaganda? :D

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Nov 16, 2008 at 01:55 AM »

EYO - 80 GB Asian at P20,500.  Unit only w/ 1 dualshock controller.  They offer lifetime warranty on service, 3 months on parts.

Mr. Dynamic - 80 GB Asian at P24,500.  Unit + 1 dualshock controller + 3 free games of your choice.  They offer 6 months warranty on service and 1 month on parts.

Rockfire - 80 GB Asian at P21,500. Unit only w/ 1 dualshock controller.  Warranty is 1 year on service.  None on parts.

Thanx coffeetiger..and the rest of you kind folks.  Sounds like its a no brainer in buying in the Phillies. 

Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 11:38 PM »

2 weeks ago I called EYO and got a cash price of 20,500.  A day later went to the shop and the girl behind the counter said they just got in there shipment and offered the asian version 80 gig for 19,500 peso.  Tried to negotiate a bit more and she said the owner just walked in and to speak with him. He pointed to a pile of boxes and gave me the deal of 19,000 flat.  Great deal.  Am very happy with it.

3 month warranty and life time service!!!

Thanx coffeetiger!

Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline Waxx

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • PDVD RULES!!! (basahin nyo, i mean!)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 791
« Reply #23 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 11:52 PM »
are you going to be based in the PH or US?? location matters.. if youre going to be here, then get it here.. but if youre going back to the states... then get it there...

rumor: also heard that ps3 is autovolt? even with 110v stickers on us machines? read some users who "accidentally" discovered this by plugging it directly on the 220v outlet... still not verified check out this link:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=2532577

« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2008 at 11:54 PM by Waxx »

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Dec 23, 2008 at 12:02 AM »
are you going to be based in the PH or US?? location matters.. if youre going to be here, then get it here.. but if youre going back to the states... then get it there...

rumor: also heard that ps3 is autovolt? even with 110v stickers on us machines? read some users who "accidentally" discovered this by plugging it directly on the 220v outlet... still not verified check out this link:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=2532577

At EYO the salesman/techi told me the asian version is also dual volt and plugged it in both 110 v and 220.  He told me the US version is dual volt as well.  Since the game is for the kids and they are staying in the phillies it was bought here.
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Dec 23, 2008 at 10:00 AM »
Cost for 80 Gig in the USA is 399. or 440 US dollars with tax.    Am not sure what the cost is in the phillies?

What do you guys think?

BestBuy offers extended International warranty for 2years. Based on my experienced very good. Bought a Mini Compo busted in 9months time. The only question they will ask is: Where to send the money, and no need to send your defective unit.
For me the only problem is 120V ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2008 at 10:01 AM by odyopayl »
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline d3CaL08

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 12:07 AM »
Heya. Planning to buy one in the near future. Which model to get? CECHx. Thanks ^_^

Offline anya618

• Trade Count: (+3197)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2681
« Reply #27 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 09:36 AM »
afaik sa region lang ata ng dvd me difference. the asian version plays region 3 dvds while the us version plays region 1 dvds.
correct me if im wrong ;D
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 210
« Reply #28 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 07:07 PM »
From PS1 to PS3, it was never Sony's practice to sell "watered down" versions anywhere. That would've killed their reputation. I was an early adopter of both the PS1 and PS2 (Asian & US versions respectively) and both were still working on the day I retired them and I used them very often, being the avid gamer that I was. The 80GB PS3 I have is an Asian version. Build-quality wise, it's a step up from the PS1 and PS2. It looks and feels expensive. In fact it is - you've heard of course that Sony loses money on every PS3 it sell?  I guess my point is you can buy Asian without fear of receiving an inferior (to US versions) product.
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL