Author Topic: Does 110v really consume more electricity when used in the philippines (220v)?  (Read 21740 times)

Offline samlowry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I just bought a 58 inch panasonic 110v tv (plugged into a transformer of course).  Was that a mistake?   did I just unnecessarily double my electric bill?  will I have a higher chance of overloading my circuit when I run everything including high wattage avrs, power amps and players?

Need a little advice:)  How much exactly is it consuming more electricity than a native 220v tv, same size?
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2008 at 02:05 AM by samlowry »
Panasonic 58pz800u and BD55
Onkyo 876
Ps3/Xbox360
Dynaudio 6.1

Offline ivannn

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Check how many Watts your TV consumes. That is the actual electrical consumption and not the voltage. The transformer acts only as a pass thru for the 110V of your tv so you dont have to worry about it.

Another source if you want to know how much electricity you are using, use the Meralco Appliance Calculator found on the MERALCO site. :)

*Don't get affected by the voltage of your appliances, what you should note is the Wattage Consumption (Watts).

Offline jojitv

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
Check how many Watts your TV consumes. That is the actual electrical consumption and not the voltage. The transformer acts only as a pass thru for the 110V of your tv so you dont have to worry about it.

Another source if you want to know how much electricity you are using, use the Meralco Appliance Calculator found on the MERALCO site. :)

*Don't get affected by the voltage of your appliances, what you should note is the Wattage Consumption (Watts).

Sir, so does this mean that it really depends on the consumption of your appliance regardless of the size and wattage of the transformer you use? Wether it's a 50watt or 1000watt transformer, consumption will still be the same? Thanks.
SARS!!!

Offline voj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
  • Liked:
Makasingit.

Wattage is the one you should look out for.  That's why that's what Meralco measures  ;D

The consumption of your appliance is the same whether you use a UPS, AVR, transformer or direct to plug.  The UPS, AVR, transformer ADD to your consumption not because of your appliance but because they themselves consume electricity.  It has its own wattage rating and consumption data whether idle or not as long as its plugged in.

You need to use a higher capacity transformer, UPS or AVR than your appliance, it needs to be able to handle the power requirement of your appliance, even if its just pass through.   

Offline jojitv

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
Makasingit.

Wattage is the one you should look out for.  That's why that's what Meralco measures  ;D

The consumption of your appliance is the same whether you use a UPS, AVR, transformer or direct to plug.  The UPS, AVR, transformer ADD to your consumption not because of your appliance but because they themselves consume electricity.  It has its own wattage rating and consumption data whether idle or not as long as its plugged in.

You need to use a higher capacity transformer, UPS or AVR than your appliance, it needs to be able to handle the power requirement of your appliance, even if its just pass through.  

Thanks sir voj. :)
SARS!!!

Offline alexg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
If you are using one of those CHEAP stepdown transformers, then the losses on those are huge (both copper and iron losses).
I went fishing the other day, and I caught a BIG ONE!

Offline jhap

• Collector
  • Liked:
If you are using one of those CHEAP stepdown transformers, then the losses on those are huge (both copper and iron losses).

tama. pero even if you use the best transformers in the market meron p rin energy loss.

Offline ivannn

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
with regards sa transformer naman, yung capacity niya only says na yun ang power na kaya niya na mag  pass thru sa kanya.

dont worry about sa power ratings nun. example ko:

450W TV connected to 1000W AVR or UPS or transformer - the consumption will not be 1,450W. :) pass thru lang talaga yun so ang consumption mo is 450W assuming na naka todo ang brightness ng tv mo and naka todo ang volume.

Offline samlowry

• Collector
  • Liked:
Thank you so much.  I feel a bit better now:) hehe....
I know there will be some loss.... but as long as it's not
significant, I'm fine with it. 

thanks!
Panasonic 58pz800u and BD55
Onkyo 876
Ps3/Xbox360
Dynaudio 6.1

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
Assuming you don't have direct 110V outlet you will be needing transformer (stepdown) aside from usual core loss & copper loss (transformer). Still you cannot utilize the stepdown transformer to its 100% capacity. Let say if you use 1000VA rated stepdown transformer and you are only using 700w or 70% still you have the 30%loss. Definitely you will consume more electricity.
Power ratings (watts)will be the same whatever voltage you will use.
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline DonT

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Assuming you don't have direct 110V outlet you will be needing transformer (stepdown) aside from usual core loss & copper loss (transformer). Still you cannot utilize the stepdown transformer to its 100% capacity. Let say if you use 1000VA rated stepdown transformer and you are only using 700w or 70% still you have the 30%loss. Definitely you will consume more electricity.
Power ratings (watts)will be the same whatever voltage you will use.

Getting a little bit confused now here. Need to get a refresher on my Electrical Technology 101.  :D
250 Watts 110V appliance consumes the same energy as a 250Watts 220V appliance because of the stepdown transformer used - Is that right?

Offline jhap

• Collector
  • Liked:
Getting a little bit confused now here. Need to get a refresher on my Electrical Technology 101.  :D
250 Watts 110V appliance consumes the same energy as a 250Watts 220V appliance because of the stepdown transformer used - Is that right?

yes sir!

power consumed:

250 watts (110V) equals 250 watts (220V)

BUT 250 Watts plugged into stepdown transformer:

250 watts (110V) + XX watts (stepdown transformer) is greater than 250 watts (220V)

assuming XX watts is the core/copper loss.

hope this helps.

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
^^^ Indeed, the stepdown transformer consumes electricity, but very minimal since pass through lang sya.

Also to compute for power, multiply the voltage and the ampere rating.

Offline jojitv

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
yes sir!

power consumed:

250 watts (110V) equals 250 watts (220V)

BUT 250 Watts plugged into stepdown transformer:

250 watts (110V) + XX watts (stepdown transformer) is greater than 250 watts (220V)

assuming XX watts is the core/copper loss.

hope this helps.

Thank you sir. ;D What is the rule of thumb when buying a stepdown transformer? Let's say for a 100watt appliance, what capacity should I get?
SARS!!!

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Thank you sir. ;D What is the rule of thumb when buying a stepdown transformer? Let's say for a 100watt appliance, what capacity should I get?

At least 20% higher. Ideally 50%.

Offline jhap

• Collector
  • Liked:
At least 20% higher. Ideally 50%.

i would do the same. because of the fact that some if not all transformers (including UPS, AVR, etc) with rated capacity of Watts are actually Volt-Ampere.
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2008 at 10:04 AM by jhap »

Offline rigelpdvd

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
I just bought a 58 inch panasonic 110v tv (plugged into a transformer of course).  Was that a mistake?   did I just unnecessarily double my electric bill?  will I have a higher chance of overloading my circuit when I run everything including high wattage avrs, power amps and players?

Need a little advice:)  How much exactly is it consuming more electricity than a native 220v tv, same size?
this maybe came late for u my frend;
its about ur question: Does 110v really consume more electricity when used in the philippines (220v)?
the answer is a big yes

this explains power is equal to the current being consumed by ur appliances multiplied by the corresponding voltage
*** we do not pay MERALCO for power consumption man...
***we pay for current consumption; in tagalog Kuryente ang binabayaran natin at hindi power..

P=i (current) x V (voltage)
example:
 we consume 20watts of power for a light of 220V
deriving the power formula i=P/v

= 20/220

= .091Amps

while.... lighting up a light of 20watts of power from a 110v give us

i=P/v

i= 20/110

i=.182 Amp
big difference .091 to .182 amps multiply with the time we use the appliance.... that is the cost we pay... ok

matalino kc ang pinoy
at matipid

Offline rigelpdvd

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
its about ur question: Does 110v really consume more electricity when used in the philippines (220v)?
the answer is a big yes

this explains power is equal to the current being consumed by ur appliances multiplied by the corresponding voltage
***we pay for current consumption; in tagalog Kuryente ang binabayaran natin at hindi power..

example:

= 20/220

= .091Amps

i=P/v

i= 20/110

i=.182 Amp
big difference .091 to .182 amps multiply with the time we use the appliance.... that is the cost we pay... ok

matalino kc ang pinoy
at matipid

Online Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 606
I think Meralco bills us in KWH, which is a unit of energy, not current or power.

It is true that a lower voltage appliance draws a higher current for the same power level. However, if it draws that through a step down transformer (primary winding connected to higher voltage source), the transformer will typically draw less current from the grid (inversely proportional to the increase in input voltage) compared to the appliance's current draw from the transformer's secondary winding.

Despite this, the appliance hooked through a transformer would still require more power due to losses (and thus consume more energy at a given run-time = costlier to run). Energy = power multiplied by unit time.
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2010 at 10:02 PM by Stagea »

Online panzer

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12

guys why not ask na lang the meralco electricians im sure they know the exact answer for these
vpi/cj/plinius/musicalfidelity/rega/sonus faber/dynaudio/rotel/revel/denon/integra/dali

Offline himura001

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
the answer is a big yes

example:

= 20/220

= .091Amps

i=P/v

i= 20/110

i=.182 Amp

matalino kc ang pinoy
at matipid

Your formula is right but we are charged here by wattage consumed( power) and not by ampere...  Sir Stagea is right in stating that the wattage and amount of times used to consume those wattage comprise the energy we consume (KwH);Take note that ampere is the  measurement of the amount of electric charge passing a point per unit time (can be compared to density etc.) on which the meralco billing is not based on... In your statement, even if the two components have different voltages, they consume the same power of 20 watts, however the one having 110 volts requires more current to produce the same amount of power...  So we can then conclude that the 110 volt equipment draws more current=more heat=more energy or efficiency loss.
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2010 at 11:15 AM by himura001 »

Offline R. Lanz

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Hmmm... Interesting....

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
may nanlilito
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
In your statement, even if the two components have different voltages, they consume the same power of 20 watts, however the one having 110 volts requires more current to produce the same amount of power...  So we can then conclude that the 110 volt equipment draws more current=more heat=more energy or efficiency loss.

ito ang tamang idea....... ;D

more current flow means possibly more losses on cables, but even that is not significant....

@rigelpdvd, me idea ka, mali nga lang, sorry pero kalimutan mo yan.... ;D
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
I just bought a 58 inch panasonic 110v tv (plugged into a transformer of course).  Was that a mistake?   did I just unnecessarily double my electric bill?  will I have a higher chance of overloading my circuit when I run everything including high wattage avrs, power amps and players?

Need a little advice:)  How much exactly is it consuming more electricity than a native 220v tv, same size?

is that a japan tv or imported from the USA?

please read the data panel at the back of your tv set, chances are you will find that it is written there that your tv set will work from a supply of 100 to 240 volts ac, or something to that effect....

the reason why this may be so is because your tv set like all the other tv sets made used what is called a switching power supply......
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2010 at 07:39 AM by TonyT »
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
I think Meralco bills us in KWH, which is a unit of energy, not current or power.

+1, exactly....

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
Ano nga pala sa Tagalog ang CURRENT?  

KURYENTE is Electricity diba?  Hehehe

Yeah kung 100V/110V, kailangan mataba ang cable.   Pero gumagamit naman ng step-down transformer (instead of directly connecting to the outlet) so no issue sa safety at current carrying capacity ng home wiring.

100V ang Japan pero for home appliances consuming higher than around 4KW (aircons for instance), 220V na ang offered para kayanin ng standard main breaker sizes for places of abode (30A, 40A, 60A).

Medyo OT.  Teka nga pala, ayon sa aking ala-ala ng 80s at 90s, line to line ang 220V sa Philippines?  So you can get around 127V by connecting line to neutral.  Ganon pa rin ba Meralco?  Sa ibang bansang napuntahan ko, usually 415V or 380V ang distribution (line-to-line) tapos they get 240V-220V by tapping line to neutral.

« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2010 at 08:51 AM by Clondalkin »

Online Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
Ano nga pala sa Tagalog ang CURRENT?  

KURYENTE is Electricity diba?  Hehehe

Yeah kung 100V/110V, kailangan mataba ang cable.   Pero gumagamit naman ng step-down transformer (instead of directly connecting to the outlet) so no issue sa safety at current carrying capacity ng home wiring.

100V ang Japan pero for home appliances consuming higher than around 4KW (aircons for instance), 220V na ang offered para kayanin ng standard main breaker sizes for places of abode (30A, 40A, 60A).

Medyo OT.  Teka nga pala, ayon sa aking ala-ala ng 80s at 90s, line to line ang 220V sa Philippines?  So you can get around 127V by connecting line to neutral.  Ganon pa rin ba Meralco?  Sa ibang bansang napuntahan ko, usually 415V or 380V ang distribution (line-to-line) tapos they get 240V-220V by tapping line to neutral.

Afaik, split-phase ata karamihan ng residential distribution dito bro, kaya yung 220VAC live to live (symmetrically balanced - live legs are 180 degrees apart). Tapos 110VAC from either of the live legs to neutral (unbalanced).
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2010 at 11:59 AM by Stagea »

Offline iddle_hans

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
mga sir mejo OT pero how do we compute the excat rate of what meralco is charging us per appliance for example i have a 550w ref how much am i being charged a month?

for my computation kasi its 550w per hour so thats 1100 watts every 2 hours so thats roughly around Php 7.10every 2 hours tama po ba? hindi kasi ako sure eh the reason why im asking is im about to move out of the house so mejo inaalam ko na ang lahat when it comes to over head expenses hehehehe

pls shed a light to this topic mga sir thanks

Online Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
Tama yang kWh measurement mo kung constant ang draw nung device, pero as with most devices eh nagbabagobago. Mas maganda kung bumili ka na lang ng kill-a-watt, mas malalaman mo ang actual demand nung appliance sa usage mo. :)

As for the cost sa Meralco, compute mo na lang based on their billing. Andami kasing mga pinapatong at may bracketing pa kaya hindi direct computation.