Author Topic: ANY FEEDBACK ON THE PANASONIC 42PY800 FULL 1080P  (Read 979 times)

Offline dannielsimone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
ANY FEEDBACK ON THE PANASONIC 42PY800 FULL 1080P
« on: Nov 28, 2008 at 05:41 PM »
TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW. 
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2008 at 05:41 PM by dannielsimone »
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
Re: ANY FEEDBACK ON THE PANASONIC 42PY800 FULL 1080P
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2008 at 01:14 PM »
Well I'm gonna describe my experience with the Japanese model 50PZ800.  I really dont know if it's the exact equivalent (it seems to be equivalent to PZ850 overseas).   Anyways.

1.  The single glass film (full glass face design) is a real beauty anywhere you place the unit in the house and is very easy to clean, but it's giving me some annoyance.   My regular viewing distance is no more than 2 meters and my walls and ceiling are all light colored.   So on beautiful clear day, it's like watching a ghost of myself and the living room in the background.  Nightime, I can adjust the room lighting so this issue is controllable but the only way to get rid of reflection is to make your room totally dark.   Anyways, I dont think you will be watching as close as mine.  The farther you sit, the less annoying the reflection is.

2.  The single glass film surface allows for very beautiful viewing even at the very edge of the TV.   Some people are actually forced to watch their TV at that position (obtuse angles)  in narrow Tokyo houses but is not likely an issue in Manila. I thought it should be mentioned only.

3.  Contour: The bezel is kinda like arching at the bottom and of different color giving the illusion that the panel is kinda floating - Very stylish - but probably trivial to most people.

4.  It's got more HDMI port than I need at the moment. 

5.  This has always been my observation whether it be LCD or plasma.  The default PQ of a full HD panel is comparatively softer than a non full-HD one.  This phenomenon is even more apparent when you compare the PZ800 to the PX80.  The more pronounced softer effect is probably caused by the additional layer of glass film on top of the panel itself.  Is it a big deal?  No because you can adjust the PQ manually to your satisfaction.  No because you totally forget how much stronger the PX80 look at the store was.  No because once you get used to the smoothnesss of a full-HD plasma, you get overly sensitive on the grid line of the PX80, which at my regular viewing distance is very very visible - and realize that it's due to some kind of edge enhancement effect of the grid lines that makes the image seem to be clearer at the onset.

6.  Set at 1920x 1080, PC application is absolutely great!!!   Letters are crisp and easy to read.  Burn-in and image retention issue?  I have not really noticed anything because I probably dont worry about that.   I watch all sorts of high def TV series with fixed station IDs here and there.  I hate full screen mode on movies.  My eyes cant even see the so called green phospors -but that is probably an eye problem.

7.  Built-in speaker has got more oomph than the standard speakers of the PZ80 and the PX80.   This is irrelevant if you constantly use the AVR but in my case, I have to be careful of next door neighbors especially at night so the fuller built-in sound system is good to have.   Interestingly enough, the sound system of my 2003 model HDTV CRT is even much fuller owing to the fact that there is more space on a CRT to install bigger speakers and woofers.

8.  Full HD consumes a whole lot more electricity than non-full HD ones and it really warmer.   It's getting cold in Tokyo at the moment so the "space heating" effect is actually a welcome thing.  But last summer, the aircon was working harder in the living room due to the added heat generated by the plasma.  But again, this might be trivial in the Philippines especially if your TV room is spacious.

9.  I can access some internet sites (youtube, etc.) directly through the TV but I dont do that.   When my PC is connected to the plasma, the PC does all the net access. 

10.  I can install a wireless security camera and monitor what's going on by toggling the monitor.  I can also feed the signal from a video door bell and see who's knocking at the door on a small PIP while watching - but I havent found the need to do anyone of that.  Actually, the additional accesories are simply expensive.

11. 1080p MKVS look stunning on this set.  I'm talking of high bit rate encodes, not the usual 8GB stuff.

12.  Inserting an SD card filled with digital photos is a nice way of viewing your collection of family pics and vacation shots.  Colors are stunning but unless you adjust properly, tend to be warmer than actual.  But the novelty wears down after a while - unless you love looking at your portrait at more than twice your actual size.

I didnt do that break-in thing because Panasonic Japan and Bic Camera don't tell me so.  I change the PQ settings as I deem appropriate depending on the time of day and the content I'm watching.  No special calibration has been done on the TV yet. 

BTW, you are interesting.  Your handle is in small letters but you like writing in all caps.   ;D  Not a bother Bro.
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2008 at 01:30 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2008 at 06:50 PM »
Well I'm gonna describe my experience with the Japanese model 50PZ800.  I really dont know if it's the exact equivalent (it seems to be equivalent to PZ850 overseas).   Anyways.

1.  The single glass film (full glass face design) is a real beauty anywhere you place the unit in the house and is very easy to clean, but it's giving me some annoyance.   My regular viewing distance is no more than 2 meters and my walls and ceiling are all light colored.   So on beautiful clear day, it's like watching a ghost of myself and the living room in the background.  Nightime, I can adjust the room lighting so this issue is controllable but the only way to get rid of reflection is to make your room totally dark.   Anyways, I dont think you will be watching as close as mine.  The farther you sit, the less annoying the reflection is.

2.  The single glass film surface allows for very beautiful viewing even at the very edge of the TV.   Some people are actually forced to watch their TV at that position (obtuse angles)  in narrow Tokyo houses but is not likely an issue in Manila. I thought it should be mentioned only.

3.  Contour: The bezel is kinda like arching at the bottom and of different color giving the illusion that the panel is kinda floating - Very stylish - but probably trivial to most people.

4.  It's got more HDMI port than I need at the moment. 

5.  This has always been my observation whether it be LCD or plasma.  The default PQ of a full HD panel is comparatively softer than a non full-HD one.  This phenomenon is even more apparent when you compare the PZ800 to the PX80.  The more pronounced softer effect is probably caused by the additional layer of glass film on top of the panel itself.  Is it a big deal?  No because you can adjust the PQ manually to your satisfaction.  No because you totally forget how much stronger the PX80 look at the store was.  No because once you get used to the smoothnesss of a full-HD plasma, you get overly sensitive on the grid line of the PX80, which at my regular viewing distance is very very visible - and realize that it's due to some kind of edge enhancement effect of the grid lines that makes the image seem to be clearer at the onset.

6.  Set at 1920x 1080, PC application is absolutely great!!!   Letters are crisp and easy to read.  Burn-in and image retention issue?  I have not really noticed anything because I probably dont worry about that.   I watch all sorts of high def TV series with fixed station IDs here and there.  I hate full screen mode on movies.  My eyes cant even see the so called green phospors -but that is probably an eye problem.

7.  Built-in speaker has got more oomph than the standard speakers of the PZ80 and the PX80.   This is irrelevant if you constantly use the AVR but in my case, I have to be careful of next door neighbors especially at night so the fuller built-in sound system is good to have.   Interestingly enough, the sound system of my 2003 model HDTV CRT is even much fuller owing to the fact that there is more space on a CRT to install bigger speakers and woofers.

8.  Full HD consumes a whole lot more electricity than non-full HD ones and it really warmer.   It's getting cold in Tokyo at the moment so the "space heating" effect is actually a welcome thing.  But last summer, the aircon was working harder in the living room due to the added heat generated by the plasma.  But again, this might be trivial in the Philippines especially if your TV room is spacious.

9.  I can access some internet sites (youtube, etc.) directly through the TV but I dont do that.   When my PC is connected to the plasma, the PC does all the net access. 

10.  I can install a wireless security camera and monitor what's going on by toggling the monitor.  I can also feed the signal from a video door bell and see who's knocking at the door on a small PIP while watching - but I havent found the need to do anyone of that.  Actually, the additional accesories are simply expensive.

11. 1080p MKVS look stunning on this set.  I'm talking of high bit rate encodes, not the usual 8GB stuff.

12.  Inserting an SD card filled with digital photos is a nice way of viewing your collection of family pics and vacation shots.  Colors are stunning but unless you adjust properly, tend to be warmer than actual.  But the novelty wears down after a while - unless you love looking at your portrait at more than twice your actual size.

I didnt do that break-in thing because Panasonic Japan and Bic Camera don't tell me so.  I change the PQ settings as I deem appropriate depending on the time of day and the content I'm watching.  No special calibration has been done on the TV yet. 

BTW, you are interesting.  Your handle is in small letters but you like writing in all caps.   ;D  Not a bother Bro.
[/quote

Very comprehensive and articulate review.  Thanx for taking the time.

I had  scheduled a first time demo of the 42PY800 for today but the unit was not yet in stock.  It should be delivered soon.  I decided to go to the mall of asia with my wife and kids and just browse around and perhaps I would find a shop with a unit to demo.  Low and behold Panasonic had there entire line of Plasma and LCD's showcased in the hallway.  There were at least 100 people checking out there products.  I walked around and found the 42PV800 and had the Panny rep put in the movie transformers.  In a nut shell it looked great.  And that was on its current setting and no tweaking.  Within  minutes the majority of people demoing in the area all came to watch the movie.  The unit was listed at a price of 119K  Cash discount of 18,000K = 101K.  My wife commented to me that the picture looked really good.  Soft on the eyes compared to the LCD's we at seen over the weeks.

« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2008 at 06:52 PM by dannielsimone »
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2008 at 09:10 PM »
Very comprehensive and articulate review.  Thanx for taking the time.

I had  scheduled a first time demo of the 42PY800 for today but the unit was not yet in stock.  It should be delivered soon.  I decided to go to the mall of asia with my wife and kids and just browse around and perhaps I would find a shop with a unit to demo.  Low and behold Panasonic had there entire line of Plasma and LCD's showcased in the hallway.  There were at least 100 people checking out there products.  I walked around and found the 42PV800 and had the Panny rep put in the movie transformers.  In a nut shell it looked great.  And that was on its current setting and no tweaking.  Within  minutes the majority of people demoing in the area all came to watch the movie.  The unit was listed at a price of 119K  Cash discount of 18,000K = 101K.  My wife commented to me that the picture looked really good.  Soft on the eyes compared to the LCD's we at seen over the weeks.

Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10