Author Topic: Tuning a DIY 3-way speaker  (Read 650 times)

Offline vyrus626

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Tuning a DIY 3-way speaker
« on: Mar 28, 2008 at 09:16 AM »
hi guys..
finally, i was able to complete my diy 3-way speakers. it has a 12" side firing 300w woofer, 5" 100w mid, and a metal dome 100w high; in a 10x34x16 (wxhxd) enclusure with the woofer having a divider at about 8x20x14 internal dimension and about 1.3 cubic feet volume. the mid and the high share the rest of the compartment. The woofer and and mid are Targa and the tweeter is konzert. I used a pre-fab 3-way passive xover from raon and powered the speakers with a Sakura av5023 amp.

Well, they sound good, i guess  :) but i think they need a little tuning to sound even better.

It seems that the mids and highs sounds a little louder than i expected and somewhat get distorted at high volume. I am thinking of using an L-PAD to attenuate the mids and highs. Will this to the trick?

I decided to make the woofer compartment to be a sealed one since i dont have much of a volume for the box. Being in a sealed box, it sounded a little harder (matigas bumayo). I am planning to put a port in it to have a softer bass. What do you think guys?

Thanks in advance!

Offline dana

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
Re: Tuning a DIY 3-way speaker
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2008 at 09:49 AM »
 Congrats on your speaker diy and to your  passion!
I suggest you try to tame the mids & highs by using L pads and/or crossover adjustments.
For the lows, wait mo muna mag fully break- in yung mechanical suspension nya, that is, the edge surround and the damper spider (the one holding the voice coil) before you do your next tweak plan (adding port). Break in period will depend on your usage. Pede rin accelerated burn-in, feed continous low signal  via signal gen (kung avlbl) to loosen the suspensions or  just use other signal sources: Tuner,cdp (in repeat mode, choice of title...)
Some prefer the bass of closed box because of its tightness due to hump characteristics in its  resonant frequency. However, it does not  roll off well  in the low freq region  as compared with the ported box design.
Personally, i prefer the close box design if properly tuned for its bass tightness.
It will take a lot of patience/adjustments tuning by ear ( in your case) until you are satisfied (or not :D)...

As they say in other Audio forums, this thread is worthless without any pictures. ;D ;D ;D
Pls post  your diy speaker.  ;)
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2008 at 03:07 PM by dana »

Offline vyrus626

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2008 at 10:04 AM »
Thanks for the inputs dana!

i will push through with the LPADs to tame my mids and highs.  how long does it usually take for the woofer to break-in?

i will post pictures soon.

thanks again!

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2008 at 12:01 PM »
post pics naman bro!  ;D ganda siguro nyan!
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!