Author Topic: Panasonic 42PY800 Impressions  (Read 7269 times)

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
Panasonic 42PY800 Impressions
« on: Jan 03, 2009 at 01:14 AM »
PY800

Got the former flagship of Panasonic's line of plasma's and this is what I've seen so far...(People notice that I have this unit in my signature and they've been asking me for an impression). A bit late but here it is:

The Panasonic 42PY800 (FULL HIGH DEF. PLASMA T.V)

DVD/Blu-Ray:

Set at 1080p with a Pioneer DVD player, the picture quality is a notch above the PV80, with colors on the softer side, Fast moving pictures were handled with great ease and with no signs of the T.V trying to catch up with the scene. Blu-ray playback was extremely well done with full 1080p support, at a 6-7 feet viewing distance you may think that the picture quality of the PY800 is no different from that of a lower end PV80 but move closer and you'll begin to see cleaner and better defined pictures. Switching on the INTELIGENT FRAME CREATION feature gave us very smooth flowing pictures, that will remind you of Samsung's movie plus option. It's really very cool to look at and at 42 inches it made a dramatic initial impact. However, after the "wow" subsided we decided to switch it off because it gave our movies too much of that "handy-cam" look - Taking away the cinematic feel of what was supposed to be a million dollar blockbuster!

PS3

Running a 1080p native game "NINJA GAIDEN" on standard picture settings gave detailed backgrounds and very clean images, but as far as I remember seeing it on both my PV8 and PV80 (1080p capable plasma's) I didn't see any significant leaps in picture quality. To find a way to justify the cost of this model(at least for gamers), we decided to activate the frame creation mode to see if it could give stable framerates for our games. Result = Bad idea! Input lag was felt and executing precise "8 way run" combo's on Soul Calibur 4 became a pain to perform. Visual artifacts were also seen with this feature kept on. Phosphor lags were still there, but this was something we already expected. However,despite long gaming sessions, this model appears to be more I.R resistant than the lower bracket Panny models, after 3 hours of none stop gaming we went to a blank input screen and saw very little ghost images. A flip to T.V mode for just under 15 mins washed it out completely. On my PV8/80 it took way longer than that to clear the "mess".

Cable:

No complains here, this is plasma! And our place pumps out good cable signals.

Sound:

The BBE-Viva gave catchy, rich and full sounds even at high volumes. The best stock sound system I've heard on any of my units! (Check my sig )

Other features:

3 HDMI inputs and an SD card reader (something already on the PV80). Oh, and it's MADE IN JAPAN! And it's on the front display sticker! I guess being made in Japan is already a feature. X.V Color support was thrown in as well (X.V is supposed to be the new standard for high definition color). Question here is: Do we already have media that actually uses this?

Other impressions:

I can't say I was totally blown away by this Panny, and it even made me wonder whether I just junked cash for a premier model that is (IMHO) not leaps and bounds over what I already have(take note, the INTELIGENT FRAME CREATION can be experienced on smaller yet cheaper Samsung units like the A550). I may sound too critical, but with the price tag, I guess I should be - every cent in the pocket counts. Anyway, this is still a good T.V and perhaps if you don't own a PV80 or a PV8 and have the cash to pay for it...then go ahead! But if you already own the cheaper models, stick with them and re-think the itch to upgrade.

One more thing!

People have asked me to rate my plasma's from highest to lowest in terms of price to performance, here we go:

1) Panny 42PV80 - Still rocking from all angles of price and performance! (d**n! This is a good T.V that's hard to beat)
2) Panny 42PY800 - Cool features that you can probably live without, but if you have the cash why should you?
3) Panny 42PV8 - Very basic but still very good

An honest and non-technical perspective ;)

For my PV80 take, please check Reply 88 and 92 from this thread:

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=80323.60

By the way, as we all know Panny units are available at Theatreworks and at Sights and Sounds. Just a tip: Want to throw more money? Buy this at your nearest local retail chain store :)
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2009 at 02:06 AM by Carlo777 »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Panasonic 42PY800 Impressions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2009 at 01:36 AM »
Carlo I just found out during the holidays na iba pala ang PY800 sa PZ800 (Japan) when I visited the stores of some members.  The PY800 design looks like the PZ80 (not single full glass surface) but the curved portion under the panel is similar.

So which is equivalent to the PZ800?  Is it the PY850?

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2009 at 01:38 AM »
Carlo I just found out during the holidays na iba pala ang PY800 sa PZ800 (Japan) when I visited the stores of some members.  The PY800 design looks like the PZ80 (not single full glass surface) but the curved portion under the panel is similar.

So which is equivalent to the PZ800?  Is it the PY850?

Iba sir! Your equivalent here is the PY850=) Also, I think your unit is THX certified...Please confirm boss ;)

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2009 at 01:46 AM »
Iba sir! Your equivalent here is the PY850=) Also, I think your unit is THX certified...Please confirm boss ;)

It is but no big deal  :)   Obviously, buong buo ang built-in sound compared to that of PX80 and PZ80 but I dont think the THX certification per se makes any difference on it.  Para rin sa case ng AV receiver - basta maganda ang tunog, kahit alang tatak ng THX, maganda pa rin ang tunog.   ;D

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2009 at 01:52 AM »
It is but no big deal  :)   Obviously, buong buo ang built-in sound compared to that of PX80 and PZ80 but I dont think the THX certification per se makes any difference on it.  Para rin sa case ng AV receiver - basta maganda ang tunog, kahit alang tatak ng THX, maganda pa rin ang tunog.   ;D

Thank you! That makes me feel better^^^

OT:

Selling your HD-CRT? ;)

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2009 at 01:59 AM »
Selling your HD-CRT? ;)

Any suggestions on how to ship a 70kg (net) very bulky, very fat HD-CRT from Tokyo to Manila safely?  It remains as shiny as when I bought it brand new in late 2003.  :)

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2009 at 02:02 AM »
Any suggestions on how to ship a 70kg (net) very bulky, very fat HD-CRT from Tokyo to Manila safely?  It remains as shiny as when I bought it brand new in late 2003.  :)

Awww...yeah that poses a problem :(

I thought it was here^

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2009 at 02:04 AM »
I thought it was here^

I wish it were here?  Since 2006 ko pa wish.   :(

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2009 at 02:06 AM »
I wish it were here?  Since 2006 ko pa wish.   :(

Sayang, anyway thank you sir!

Offline espi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Waddup?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2009 at 10:41 AM »
great review on the 42py800 sir, im also thinking of getting this unit as an upgrade on my pv8, not that you have pointed out pros and cons...i am now confused...haha!

im specifically looking for the movie plus / intelligent frame creation feature. this is the one feature that made me switch to the HD world way back since i saw philips' pixel plus..i think they were the ones who introduced that technology. i also want the blacks and color reproduction i have seen on a plasma (i came from different types of LCDs..philips, r81, a450) before having the pv8.

do you think this unit is the answer on what im looking for? or a sammy a550 / a650 will do all the works?

or

stick with the pv8, then get an LCD with movie plus feature... a550 / a650 perhaps?

price will be the deciding factor, money does'nt grow on trees, so i want to get a tv that will last for a while, i have upgraded 3x last year..so expensive!

by the way, i have seen your posts, and i find it very informative.. thanks a lot!
Ye Boy! :p

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2009 at 11:09 AM »
great review on the 42py800 sir, im also thinking of getting this unit as an upgrade on my pv8, not that you have pointed out pros and cons...i am now confused...haha!

im specifically looking for the movie plus / intelligent frame creation feature. this is the one feature that made me switch to the HD world way back since i saw philips' pixel plus..i think they were the ones who introduced that technology. i also want the blacks and color reproduction i have seen on a plasma (i came from different types of LCDs..philips, r81, a450) before having the pv8.

do you think this unit is the answer on what im looking for? or a sammy a550 / a650 will do all the works?

or

stick with the pv8, then get an LCD with movie plus feature... a550 / a650 perhaps?

price will be the deciding factor, money does'nt grow on trees, so i want to get a tv that will last for a while, i have upgraded 3x last year..so expensive!

by the way, i have seen your posts, and i find it very informative.. thanks a lot!

Thanks!

The A650 (40 inch) perhaps has the smoothes "movie plus" definition of all the units we mentioned here, with the Panny PY800 coming in as second (a very very close one at that) and the A550 is at third place.

I like your second option, having two units is always better=)

Stick with the PV8 and get a 32 inch Sammy A550 or A650, but if you can go the exrta mile having a PV8 and the 40 inch A650 will give you nearly the best of both worlds^

Offline espi

• Collector
  • Waddup?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2009 at 12:12 PM »
Thanks!

The A650 (40 inch) perhaps has the smoothes "movie plus" definition of all the units we mentioned here, with the Panny PY800 coming in as second (a very very close one at that) and the A550 is at third place.

I like your second option, having two units is always better=)

Stick with the PV8 and get a 32 inch Sammy A550 or A650, but if you can go the exrta mile having a PV8 and the 40 inch A650 will give you nearly the best of both worlds^

i am leaning towards this option before i read and posted on this thread. i guess this decision serves me better...i needed a second opinion..i guess you answered it well alright ;)

do you own a pv8? i read at the other thread that you posted the settings for a pv80, not sure if it works well with the pv8 as well.

OT:

i see that almost everyone uses the warm color temp. i currently don't appreciate that color setting because it gives out a yellowish hue, not perfect whites.

though based on HDTV forums, warm temp. is the preferred one because it is more natural..

i dunno...i might give it a try for a week...let's see what will happen :)

oh well, i guess there goes my urge to get the py800....but if the price is right, who knows...i might get a py800 and an a650...after all, i want to have the best of both worlds setup...a plasma for my room, and an LCD for the living room :)

by the way, care to share how much did you get your TVs? i want to have an idea so i can prepare the budgets...a pm will be just fine.

thanks bro!

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2009 at 02:19 PM »
i see that almost everyone uses the warm color temp. i currently don't appreciate that color setting because it gives out a yellowish hue, not perfect whites.

though based on HDTV forums, warm temp. is the preferred one because it is more natural..

i dunno...i might give it a try for a week...let's see what will happen :)

the warm color temp on tvs as presets is usually the closest thing to the calibrated 6500k color temp that is what the expert says is the right color temp for our panel, that will give us the right color and skin tone.

Offline espi

• Collector
  • Waddup?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2009 at 02:48 PM »
the warm color temp on tvs as presets is usually the closest thing to the calibrated 6500k color temp that is what the expert says is the right color temp for our panel, that will give us the right color and skin tone.

i see, but have you noticed that the whites are not that white? i have noticed the skin tones and colors become more natural and close to the real thing, what bothers me most are the whites...

im not sure if if this is the right thread to discuss this issue, i hope you can point out the right one so we can discuss and i can read further about it.

back to topic:

is the 42py800 the smaller size version of the py850? cause i cant see a 42py850 out in the market / website...

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2009 at 07:05 PM »
Thanks for your reviews Carlo777, may I ask though,

Did you notice a significant difference in the PY800's higher native contrast ratio compared to the PV80 and Samsung A650? Most of the Panasonic reviews I've read say that their black levels are nearly Kuro like while the Samsung A650 is best among LCD's. I'm considering the A650 and PY800. Thanks again.

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2009 at 10:44 PM »
Thanks for your reviews Carlo777, may I ask though,

Did you notice a significant difference in the PY800's higher native contrast ratio compared to the PV80 and Samsung A650? Most of the Panasonic reviews I've read say that their black levels are nearly Kuro like while the Samsung A650 is best among LCD's. I'm considering the A650 and PY800. Thanks again.

Per spec the PY800 has a native contrast ratio of around 30k, while the PV80 has only 15k. On paper, the difference between the two seems substantial to warrant a huge difference in pq. But based on my observation the pq leap of the PY800 is only incremental, at a viewing distance of around 6-7 feet you could hardly see the difference(at least for me). Go closer though and you'll notice a cleaner, better defined picture of the full hd py800, but then again the gap is not that big.

The price difference between the py800 and the pv80 is somewhere in the 30k mark, and for me I don't think the difference in terms of sticker value is worth it. Unless, you'll use the py800 as a pc monitor and that in itself is a different story all together. Also, if you "dig" the effects of the Intelligent frame creation then I guess the py800 becomes worth it.

I've not spent enough time with my A650 to give you a detailed take, but I've posted a few direct comparisons between them on my A650 thread. Sorry, I can't comment on the Kuro bec. I've not seen one long enough to give an "off hand" comment.

« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2009 at 11:10 PM by Carlo777 »

Offline espi

• Collector
  • Waddup?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2009 at 05:47 PM »
bro,

we will be waiting for your reviews on the direct comparison between py800 and a650.. i'm choosing between these two also, i think i can dispose my pv8 and upgrade with either of these units... and get a 32" HDTV for the living room...

my option now would be:

a good 42" HDTV (plasma / LCD)

and

a good 32" HDTV (plasma / LCD)

considering the best of both worlds idea...which ones are good?
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2009 at 07:50 PM by Pol »

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 03:26 AM »
bro,

we will be waiting for your reviews on the direct comparison between py800 and a650.. i'm choosing between these two also, i think i can dispose my pv8 and upgrade with either of these units... and get a 32" HDTV for the living room...

my option now would be:

and

Sure will do it on Saturday.

Will compare in 3 areas

Movie (DVD/Blu-ray) 1080p vs 1080p
PS3/Xbox 360 1080p vs 1080p and 720p vs 720p
Cable

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2009 at 11:23 PM »
bro,

my option now would be:

and

Ok, this has to be the most difficult eye racking comparison I've ever made. First let me go on record by saying that both units deliver very good pictures. I'll now give a run down of how they perform.

Cable (Cinema mode)

No doubt the PY800 beats the A650 here, with no pixelations and the softer color of PLASMA tends to mask the imperfections of our cable broadcast.

DVD (Standard mode)

Source: Pioneer DV410V set to 1080p at regular RGB
Movie: Hokuto no Ken Raoh Den (Japanese Animation)

Sammy brings the charge with colors that will make you feel like your watching the animation from a glossy brochure! It's that good, and again the motion flow of both units were tested to the max when the lead character named Kenshiro does a very fast flurry of punches. Both remained steady with no signs of stutter, however with PLASMA I saw the green trails lash out, no motion blur for Sammy, so for this round and this particular movie - I'll say it's the A650! (will test LOTR and Star Wars later on)

Blu-Ray (Standard)

Source: PS3 Japanese version set to "Limited RGB" and at 1080p
Movie: Transformers

Chapter 18-25 where there were so many things happening at the same time - Heavy and fast mech transformations were done with great fluidity for both units. No pixelations, no stutters, no picture breaks or issues whatsoever.

Movie: Underworld Evolution (Used because of it's very dark backgrounds)

Panny wins here with it's great definition of blacks, Sammy displayed dark areas with shades of grey and the usual uneven backlighting that's common place with LCD.

Video Games (Standard)

Source: PS3 at limited RGB and set to 1080p
Game: Ninja Gaiden Sigma

Both units nearly have the same picture definition and input response time. Picture quality becomes subjective here, if you like "softer" "earthly" pictures then the PY800 is the unit for you. But if you like a very digitized look for your game (Which I prefer) then Sammy is the way to go for the PS3. On a side note during quick pans of Ninja Gaiden's dark game stages, the Plasma can't help but show the phosphor lag via green trails. Sammy with it's 4ms response time did not show any form of issue like "motion-blur".

Stock sound:

Hands down the BBE-Viva of the PY800 delivers crisper and clearer sound.

That's all for today and will test more movies for both units when time permits=)

Sorry as this was one rush type...

« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2009 at 11:34 PM by Carlo777 »

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2009 at 12:06 AM »
Anyone care to share their settings for this unit?

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Mar 06, 2009 at 03:25 PM »
UPDATE: The PY800 seems to have an issue with the remote, that you'd need to point the controller directly to the T.V's front sensor for it to work properly. I think this could easily be fixed via firmware upgrade, not really a big deal it's just that you guys may want to know.

Offline espi

• Collector
  • Waddup?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Apr 23, 2009 at 07:52 AM »
what's the equivalent US model of the py800? :)

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Apr 23, 2009 at 08:03 AM »
what's the equivalent US model of the py800? :)

Physically, it looks like the PZ80 (eighty) in my observation.

Offline anchit

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Apr 23, 2009 at 12:03 PM »
i see, but have you noticed that the whites are not that white? i have noticed the skin tones and colors become more natural and close to the real thing, what bothers me most are the whites...

this was also the deiciding factor for my boss when he's in a dillema choosing between py800 and 46650sammy. he loved the wamrth of py800 pero nung nilagay na nya sa ps3 nya, the whites are not that white. he coose sammy46650.
The handsomest and the happiest ;b

Offline espi

• Collector
  • Waddup?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Apr 23, 2009 at 01:03 PM »
Physically, it looks like the PZ80 (eighty) in my observation.

it sure does look like the PZ80...

can anyone confirm this please? :)

Offline yakisoba

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Let The Games Begin!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jul 26, 2009 at 05:49 AM »
bakit konti lang thread for the PY800?  Konti lang ba and owners?  If you compare the PY800 against the new s10 model 42" which is better? 

I personally checked them side by side in TW . . the PY800 shows better picture quality. 

Problem though I was not able too test a PS3 GAME. 

Offline acg419

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Aug 03, 2009 at 09:43 AM »
I think 42S10 and is not a huge difference from PY800 in PQ and features. The only difference is the power consumption or cooling fan noise/humm (it's debatable) since 42S10 did not have any cooling fans unlike PY800.

Also, Sir Carlo777 has a concise & detailed review on 42S10 so better check it out.

bakit konti lang thread for the PY800?  Konti lang ba and owners?  If you compare the PY800 against the new s10 model 42" which is better? 

I personally checked them side by side in TW . . the PY800 shows better picture quality. 

Problem though I was not able too test a PS3 GAME. 

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Aug 03, 2009 at 11:48 AM »
... If you compare the PY800 against the new s10 model 42" which is better? 

Sir Carlo says both the PY800 and the S10 look the same for Blu ray, but PY800 is better than S10 for Standard DVD.

Offline rulan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 12:09 AM »
I should have read this forum first before buying, but hopefully can still make a last minute change incase.
Need your help sirs, I have 3 choices:
50PY850 - SGD1999 - display unit but A1 condition
42PY800 - SGD999  - display unit also A1 condition
42S10 -    SGD1499 - bnew

all can be paid by 36mo installment 0% interest

I went for 42PY800 which will arrive in a week or two (10% dp for the reservation, remaining 90% 36months installment 0% interest), but your suggestions can greatly influence my final decision...
Thanks...

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Aug 04, 2009 at 01:09 AM »
I should have read this forum first before buying, but hopefully can still make a last minute change incase.
Need your help sirs, I have 3 choices:
50PY850 - SGD1999 - display unit but A1 condition
42PY800 - SGD999  - display unit also A1 condition
42S10 -    SGD1499 - bnew

all can be paid by 36mo installment 0% interest

I went for 42PY800 which will arrive in a week or two (10% dp for the reservation, remaining 90% 36months installment 0% interest), but your suggestions can greatly influence my final decision...
Thanks...

Don't worry, stick with your purchase ;)