Author Topic: Marantz Receivers  (Read 269637 times)

Offline mYKi

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • Ewan!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Marantz Receivers
« Reply #990 on: Aug 31, 2006 at 03:29 PM »
Around P55k to P59k. They have a 3 months 0% interest promo at 5th avenue in Shangri-La.

mga bro, magkano ang marantz sr7500? pati resell niya magkano din?

Offline Trauma

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #991 on: Sep 01, 2006 at 11:31 PM »
Hi Fellow Pdvd'ers.

I had a chance to own a Marantz sr7400 thru one of our members sometime early this year several months thereafter it has provided me some soul satisfaction.

A few days ago I began to notice some distortion during the second and third CD i play and that worried me a lot. At first I thought it was the DVD player but found out pretty soon after replacing it with another player that the marantz began shutting down after about 10 songs. The top cover is can be touched but seems overly warm. It can resume playing when it cools down a little. I re-hooked the old DVD player and still the Marantz shuts down after about 10 songs. I have been into audio for many years and am sure there's nothing wrong with my connection set up.  :(

I hope that this is not part of the Marantz quality everyone is raving about and I would appreciate any helpful advices.

Offline JT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #992 on: Sep 02, 2006 at 01:15 AM »
Hi Fellow Pdvd'ers.

I had a chance to own a Marantz sr7400 thru one of our members sometime early this year several months thereafter it has provided me some soul satisfaction.

A few days ago I began to notice some distortion during the second and third CD i play and that worried me a lot. At first I thought it was the DVD player but found out pretty soon after replacing it with another player that the marantz began shutting down after about 10 songs. The top cover is can be touched but seems overly warm. It can resume playing when it cools down a little. I re-hooked the old DVD player and still the Marantz shuts down after about 10 songs. I have been into audio for many years and am sure there's nothing wrong with my connection set up.  :(

I hope that this is not part of the Marantz quality everyone is raving about and I would appreciate any helpful advices.

Some Marantz srX400 series really has this problem after a few years.  Fortunately, I didnt have when Im still using sr4400 (now Im on sr4500 and no problem). 

Anyway, just put some auxiliary fan and should be ok again for long use.

Offline Trauma

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #993 on: Sep 02, 2006 at 06:38 PM »
 :(
I found out that it is definitely a heat problem.

It just started very recently when I switched from an MDF cabinet to a painted plywood cabinet.

Maybe the MDF cabinet is cooler.

I already placed it on a shelf that allows 9 inches of air above the marantz and it improved some. Now it takes 20 songs before shutting down. >:(

Offline niceNslow

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #994 on: Sep 03, 2006 at 10:20 PM »
@trauma

at least may improvement ;D

Offline Trauma

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #995 on: Sep 04, 2006 at 08:46 AM »
@trauma

at least may improvement ;D

Meron nga improvement. But I now have to listen to the annoying whirr of the fan every time there are soft passages of music and even during quiet moments in a movie. >:(

It still will shut down if I really push it  ( e.g. play it for hours non-stop ) even with the fan on. Could it be the output transistors begining to go?

Hope there are some marantz owners out there who had a similar experience and would be kind enough to share solutions. Anyone? ???

Offline shotgun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Noob
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #996 on: Sep 04, 2006 at 10:41 AM »
I've got a 4500 and only have 2 inches of clearance. I use a slightly modified PCI/card type PC fan set at 9 volts  that sits above the vents. It's quiet enough and displaces enough air to keep things cool. When I place my hand in of the moving air, it's warm so I know it works.

+63917-8261578

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #997 on: Sep 04, 2006 at 11:13 AM »
:(
I found out that it is definitely a heat problem.

It just started very recently when I switched from an MDF cabinet to a painted plywood cabinet.

Maybe the MDF cabinet is cooler.

I already placed it on a shelf that allows 9 inches of air above the marantz and it improved some. Now it takes 20 songs before shutting down. >:(

I suggest you have the unit checked by a techie or an authorized Marantz service center.  Shutting down after 20 songs can be annoying to say the least.  And a ventillation fan shouldn't be necessary at comfortable listening levels even  for hours on end.  There must be some material degradation in some parts for this to happen after months of satisfactory performance.  Either that, or your speakers may also have degraded so that it's increasingly having low impedance over time which the amp can't handle.  You may want to check this out by using another set of speakers. 
« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2006 at 10:52 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Trauma

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #998 on: Sep 04, 2006 at 03:26 PM »
Thanks both Shotgun and av_phile!

Shotgun:
that low noise fan sure looks attractive? How did you hook a power source for that fan?

av_phile:
I currently hooked up a pair of definitive Techs BP20 so it is sensitive at 91db and has a reliable 6ohm imp. At my listening level it should not strain even a small amp.
The fan was not necessary for a long time since I got the avr until I recently changed my rack from an MDF to a painted plywood rack.
I asked 5th Ave. at the SM Mall of Asia if they can have a look at it. They told me they did not carry the 7400 so they dont have a circuit diagram for it and cannot repair the unit.

any members here have similar experience and Overcame the problem?

Offline shotgun

• Collector
  • Noob
  • Liked:
« Reply #999 on: Sep 04, 2006 at 05:20 PM »
Thanks both Shotgun and av_phile!

Shotgun:
that low noise fan sure looks attractive? How did you hook a power source for that fan?

My fan is hidden in betweent the 2inch slot above the AVR so it's not really seen unless you're about 3 feet from  it. I used an old step-down DC converter/transformer and set it at 12V. I'll try to take pics tonight.
+63917-8261578

Offline Trauma

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1000 on: Sep 04, 2006 at 10:49 PM »
Many Thanks Again Shotgun.

I do have a 12v fan i bought at the same time i got the bigger noisy 220v fan. but I didnt use the small fan just because its just too much work to set up a power supply whereas the big fan just plugs into an ac outlet. I just thought there was a dc current available inside the avr circuitry that you could have used.

Anyway, powerful as it is, the big fan is of little help. My 7400 still shuts down before I finish one CD now even with the fan on.

Anyone? Help?

Offline shotgun

• Collector
  • Noob
  • Liked:
« Reply #1001 on: Sep 05, 2006 at 09:19 AM »
Wow. Power shutdown despite a 220V fan? I've got a couple of those for power hungry power amps before (my 'mobile' days) and those could move a LOT of air. Do you think it's just the heat that's the problem? 9 inches of clearance and a fan would solve almost any heating issues.
+63917-8261578

Offline Trauma

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1002 on: Sep 05, 2006 at 09:44 AM »
Wow. Power shutdown despite a 220V fan? I've got a couple of those for power hungry power amps before (my 'mobile' days) and those could move a LOT of air. Do you think it's just the heat that's the problem? 9 inches of clearance and a fan would solve almost any heating issues.

what worries me a lot is any internal problem that might be difficult to target.
the heat problem seems to be coincidental and happens because of the real problem.
because - I remember the reason why i got another player was because I THOUGHT my philips DVD player was getting old as I was begining to give audible distortions. it turns out that it was the amp causing the distortion because it also distorts using the Cal Audio Delta Transport.

I taped down the fan at the precise point where I believe it can suck out most heat and as I am typing this, I am listening to the 12th song without distortion.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #1003 on: Sep 05, 2006 at 09:50 AM »
I don't think this is just a heat problem.  Commercial amps and receivers should be able to operate long hours even at high volumes without a hitch, assuming the right speaker loads are used. And with a fan blowing over the heat sinks, that's even better.  I really suggest you have a techie or service center check the innards.

Offline Trauma

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1004 on: Sep 05, 2006 at 11:34 PM »
Exactly my thoughts av_phile. Thanks very much!

I have just taken apart my setup and made appointments with a recommended TechY.

Offline BigBert-2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1005 on: Dec 08, 2006 at 09:45 PM »

Any review on the SR4600 model ?

Offline Dirk_Diggler

• Apprentice
  • Turbocharger...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1006 on: Jan 05, 2007 at 11:41 AM »
mga sir available ba yung SR3001 model dito sa pinas? and how much kaya?

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Triode Junkie...It's MUSIC not HIFI!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1007 on: Jan 19, 2007 at 09:57 AM »
I think yes...try to visit 5th Avenue sa Park Square 1 or sa Robinsons Place Ermita.

Distributor din sila ng mg Marantz products....

Regards,
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline ert

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1008 on: Jan 20, 2007 at 05:09 PM »
mga sir available ba yung SR3001 model dito sa pinas? and how much kaya?

yes i think so..you can check 5th avenue with that..there would be new models that are coming out soon here..the 7001 (THX Select2) 8001 (THX Select 2) HDMI v1.2, 4 hdmi in/2 hdmi out and a lot more..check your nearest 5th avenue branches...

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1009 on: Jan 26, 2007 at 01:08 PM »
sa mga marantz owners. these babies do really get hot... hot, mind you, not warm. so my suggestion is get urself some muffin fan/s. they're not as noisy as some other ordinary fans. especially so if you have your gear in some confined space. they work wonders in keeping control of the air circulation.  i got mine from deeco, the 220v type. got two of them on top of my sr4500. not too discernible both audibly or visually since it's between the 2"++ gap between the rack and the amp. your electric fan or aircon might be noisier if you have them on while watching video or listening to some music. to further reduce fan noise, try putting some spacers on the fan itself for some clearance between it and the amp. will post some pics when i have time.

btw, has any srxx00 owner tried using the speaker b output for biamping your fronts? since this is actually a pair of unused amp if u have just a 5.1 setup, then maybe we can put it to good use in powering up, say, the bass driver of a three-way front?!!? any comments?
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2007 at 04:14 PM by gearhead »
harman kardon avr5550, wharfe 9.5/9.cs/9.dfs pioneer dv-600av

Offline sonnysy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1010 on: Feb 05, 2007 at 10:45 PM »
Hi guys,

Any user of sr4001 here? how is it? hot or warm? cheers!

Sonny

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #1011 on: Feb 16, 2007 at 05:00 PM »
sa mga marantz owners. these babies do really get hot... hot, mind you, not warm. so my suggestion is get urself some muffin fan/s. they're not as noisy as some other ordinary fans. especially so if you have your gear in some confined space. they work wonders in keeping control of the air circulation.  i got mine from deeco, the 220v type. got two of them on top of my sr4500. not too discernible both audibly or visually since it's between the 2"++ gap between the rack and the amp. your electric fan or aircon might be noisier if you have them on while watching video or listening to some music. to further reduce fan noise, try putting some spacers on the fan itself for some clearance between it and the amp. will post some pics when i have time.

btw, has any srxx00 owner tried using the speaker b output for biamping your fronts? since this is actually a pair of unused amp if u have just a 5.1 setup, then maybe we can put it to good use in powering up, say, the bass driver of a three-way front?!!? any comments?

Pls. post your muffin fan pls. I'm user of MArantz 7300 subra mainitin
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline yygoob

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #1012 on: Feb 17, 2007 at 10:11 AM »
guys question lang can i biwire using marantz sr4500? has anyone here tried it? thanks

Offline WAAP

• Apprentice
  • I like SPIDER!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1013 on: Feb 28, 2007 at 03:15 PM »
OT: pardon me. Someone you know might be interested. I am selling my Marantz sr6300 in mint condition for 15.5k. I seldomly used it. I already posted it in the assorted buy and sell section. Thanks :)

Offline lakambini

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
« Reply #1014 on: Mar 19, 2007 at 01:00 PM »
how much is the new marantz sr6001?

Offline danger_ahead123

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1015 on: Mar 19, 2007 at 02:37 PM »
OT: pardon me. Someone you know might be interested. I am selling my Marantz sr6300 in mint condition for 15.5k. I seldomly used it. I already posted it in the assorted buy and sell section. Thanks :)

sir pa pm nman po un specs at last price ty

Offline WAAP

• Apprentice
  • I like SPIDER!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1016 on: Mar 30, 2007 at 05:28 PM »
Danger, sold na po nung first week of march. thanks

Offline Trauma

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1017 on: May 02, 2007 at 10:28 PM »

I have a really bad experience with my 7400. they are still with audible illussion in timog.

the problem is the heat which began when i placed them ona new rack with lesser overhead clearance than the old rack. the clearance by the way is 5". - this is the new rack.

I got charged about 5.5k for it to be fixed last year about august or september. until now they are still with audible illussion who insists that I should be grateful to them because they are "only helping me".

the first time I got it back from them it stil shuts down because of heat no matter how big a fan i place on top of it.

I notice the only solution my 5.5k bought me was a 1" square cpu fan and a equally small aluminum heatsink to which they attached the output transistors. they are indeed trying to help. never mind the original design got botched.

but my marantz is still shutting off with heat and they cant return it because they claim they had already spent a lot of money on parts. ( this i gotta see )

HOPE SOMEONE OUT THERE CAN HELP ME GET A DECENT TECH TO FIX IT. THNKS.

Offline dB10

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • karma does not discriminate
  • Liked:
« Reply #1018 on: May 04, 2007 at 02:18 PM »
hi trauma, how long have you got your 7400? did you buy it new? my 7400 was bought new last year from Electronics depot, and likewise i find that it does operate hot but not to the point that it quits naman, could i ask what volume do you set your unit when it shuts? do you have airconditioning while using it?
"...be careful & ready what you wish for, it may come true"

Offline jedi

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1019 on: Jul 26, 2007 at 01:04 PM »
Anyone using the Marantz 4700 yet?  How is it compared to the 4500?  Is it worth upgrading?