Author Topic: Help! Will tube amps be better match to my vintage 60s speakers?  (Read 6589 times)

Offline romymartinez

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Help! Will tube amps be better match to my vintage 60s speakers?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 08, 2008 at 05:11 PM »
(I hope this is not OT)

In my experience with the t-amp it is important to note that this is a low powered amp and will only shine and exhibit its sonic signature if the speakers being used are efficient enough or let's say easy to drive.  For me, the t-amp is like a SS 300B or SS 2A3.  Its strength is on the mid range and highs - especially Vocals.  Surely a push-pull amp will be better than the t-amp if the speakers used is hard to dirve.  In the end, its system matching and what is pleasing to the ears.

As with tube amps and vintage speakers......it is still equipment matching and there is no fixed rule.

This is healthy discussion and very good sharing of experiences.

Cheers.

JoeyGS

Sir JoeyGS,

I agree 100% :)

I also have the chance to try the amps/preamps with another set of vintage speakers, a Jensen Model 1 8" fullrange sealed bookshelf speakers (circa 60s, I believe). I guess its fairly sensitive (my estimate is around mid 90s) and quite easy to drive as I can crank up the volume knob of the Trends Audio 10.1 up to 3 o'clock without audible clipping, even all the way in some CDs,  :).

I've hooked this speakers with three amp/preamps combos. And to my system and to my ears, here's my take with music played at moderate levels:
1. Trends Audio - sounds really great.
2. Trends Audio + Tube preamp - sounds better
3. Tube preamp + tube power amp - sounds best.

Just sharing what I heard and as Sir JoeyGS said (and I fully agree 100%) we can't make generalizations regarding these. Everthing is still system dependent. :)

romymartinez

Offline alexg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Feb 08, 2008 at 06:24 PM »
Romy,

Try to get a hold of a pair of RCA cleartops (12au7) or GE 6189 for your preamp, it will be a revelation!

I have not finished the 832A yet for you to compare with the SE KT88, but I am glad you are enjoying the SE KT88/EL34 with the JJ EL34, if you can borrow a pair of KT88 or 6550, you should also try in my amp, this changes the sound considerably and you might even like it better (KT88 or 6550 will give you deeper bass, I like the EL34 because it gives me better vocals than the KT88/6550 on that circuit).

I will PM you when the 832A is ready.

I use to have dual T-Amp with a tubed preamp built for me, I like my tube amps better.  ;)

Enjoy!
I went fishing the other day, and I caught a BIG ONE!

Offline vwbeetle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Feb 08, 2008 at 08:34 PM »
Sir vwbeetle,

In the Trends Audio TA-10.1, it's quite easy:

1. Download the user's manual from the Trends Audio website.

XXXXX

2. Remove the top screws on the amp (two in front and two at the back, to remove the top cover.

XXXXXX

thanks for the info. will try it tomorrow. the trends is just being used with an ipod in a small room. and yeah i love it, it sounds great.

but of course i love my tube amp more. the trends is my first ss amp.

Offline romymartinez

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Feb 09, 2008 at 04:59 PM »
Romy,

Try to get a hold of a pair of RCA cleartops (12au7) or GE 6189 for your preamp, it will be a revelation!

I have not finished the 832A yet for you to compare with the SE KT88, but I am glad you are enjoying the SE KT88/EL34 with the JJ EL34, if you can borrow a pair of KT88 or 6550, you should also try in my amp, this changes the sound considerably and you might even like it better (KT88 or 6550 will give you deeper bass, I like the EL34 because it gives me better vocals than the KT88/6550 on that circuit).

I will PM you when the 832A is ready.

I use to have dual T-Amp with a tubed preamp built for me, I like my tube amps better.  ;)

Enjoy!

Sir alexg,

Yes, I'll try to borrow (or steal, heh-heh) some KT88/6550 and try them with your SE amp. And also, I'll try to source those 12au7s you suggested (pero mahal siguro mga ito, heh-heh). Looking forward also to hear your 832a. :)

Again thanks, Sir alexg, for lending me the amps. Really appreciate it. :)

romymartinez

Offline romymartinez

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Feb 09, 2008 at 05:11 PM »
thanks for the info. will try it tomorrow. the trends is just being used with an ipod in a small room. and yeah i love it, it sounds great.

but of course i love my tube amp more. the trends is my first ss amp.

Sir vwbeetle,

Yes, Sir, the Trends sounds great! With my vintage speakers, it sounds better than my previous SS amps (Pioneer A717, OTTO DCA-1300, Luxman A400 all Japan surplus). Of course, with its 8 watts per channel output, it has to be matched with efficient speakers or placed in small room. Its bass is amazing, having more bass than my previous SS amps! And of course as Sir joeyGS said the mids and highs are sweet. :)

romymartinez

Offline blues

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #35 on: Oct 21, 2008 at 11:52 AM »
kamusta meron ako pioneer sx-800 tube rcvr no cover the tuner is functioning

Offline blues

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Jan 05, 2009 at 10:16 PM »
tube does it better for efficiency speaker with horn

Offline AudioAmplified

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 12:05 AM »
Cayin SP series... vintage look to match your vintage speakers :)

Offline romymartinez

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 04:15 PM »
tube does it better for efficiency speaker with horn

Hi blues,

Kumusta na Sir? PM sent

Regards

Romy

Offline romymartinez

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Jan 06, 2009 at 04:23 PM »
Postcript:

The vintage Pioneer speakers found a nice match with early 70s SS 100wpc amp Sony TA-3200F. The combo was eventually given up to an office friend of mine.  ;D  ;D