Author Topic: A few Panasonic Plasma Questions  (Read 16038 times)

Offline kakashi

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: A few Panasonic Plasma Questions
« Reply #30 on: Feb 06, 2009 at 01:26 PM »
true enough, after getting myself a plasma, i wouldnt want to switch back to my old bravia s series =)

anyways, sirs, could you share some of your settings for the panny pv8? kahit pm's lang would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #31 on: Feb 07, 2009 at 07:14 PM »
I'll do a torture test on my PV8 and see how tuff the panel is, will let you guys know the results. (won't try it with my higher models ;)) If it passes with a PV8, then we'll know for sure if "burn-in" is really a thing of the past=)

How I'll do it:

1) Plug a PS3 and leave a game screen on for a full 8 hours on Standard!

Offline eksi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #32 on: Feb 07, 2009 at 07:45 PM »
I'll do a torture test on my PV8 and see how tuff the panel is, will let you guys know the results. (won't try it with my higher models ;)) If it passes with a PV8, then we'll know for sure if "burn-in" is really a thing of the past=)

How I'll do it:

1) Plug a PS3 and leave a game screen on for a full 8 hours on Standard!

kaabang-abang po :)

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Feb 07, 2009 at 10:12 PM »
kaabang-abang po :)

Started na sir at exactly 9:30pm today.

Panasonic TH-42PV8H Torture test

Attached PS3 via HDMI at HDMI slot 1

Picture setting at Calibrated Cinema:

Contrast 68
Brightness 40
Color 65
Tint -1
Temp Warm
Sharpness at 47
Color management = on

Using a game Soul Calibur 4, with plenty of static health and life bars. I did not pause the game but allowed two characters to simply stand and do nothing.

This ends at 5:30am tom morning.

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #34 on: Feb 07, 2009 at 10:15 PM »
I know the Ps3 goes into low light mode if you do not touch the controller for more than 10mins.
This is to prevent burn-in.  :)

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Feb 07, 2009 at 11:24 PM »
I know the Ps3 goes into low light mode if you do not touch the controller for more than 10mins.
This is to prevent burn-in.  :)

We noted this that's why we switched to a Gpara game demo DVD of Soul Calibur running on a loop with the same level over and over. So the static life bar will still be there.

Adjusted time to 10:30pm.

Thanks=)

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #36 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 06:54 AM »
We noted this that's why we switched to a Gpara game demo DVD of Soul Calibur running on a loop with the same level over and over. So the static life bar will still be there.

Adjusted time to 10:30pm.

Thanks=)

good morning sunshine!! :D  any updates  8) 8)
ninjababez online ..

Offline TOY 01

• Trade Count: (+323)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #37 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 09:03 AM »
interested din ako sa result nito..... ;) ;)
Allan 0917-8975003 (Please indicate username)

Offline fnvillafuerte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 09:34 AM »
Started na sir at exactly 9:30pm today.

Panasonic TH-42PV8H Torture test

Attached PS3 via HDMI at HDMI slot 1

Picture setting at Calibrated Cinema:

Contrast 68
Brightness 40
Color 65
Tint -1
Temp Warm
Sharpness at 47
Color management = on

Using a game Soul Calibur 4, with plenty of static health and life bars. I did not pause the game but allowed two characters to simply stand and do nothing.

This ends at 5:30am tom morning.

Your brightness set to 40 is too low to cause burn-in.  Your setting of cinema mode will further prevent any burn-in.  To really max-out your panel for burn-in test, you have to set the panel to DYNAMIC and both BRIGHTNESS and CONTRAST set to 100!
"If you love life, life will love you back."

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 01:16 PM »
Your brightness set to 40 is too low to cause burn-in.  Your setting of cinema mode will further prevent any burn-in.  To really max-out your panel for burn-in test, you have to set the panel to DYNAMIC and both BRIGHTNESS and CONTRAST set to 100!

Yes, but I wanted to use a setting that most of us here are probably using ;)

Here are the results so far:

After 8 hours I switched to a blank AV screen and as expected there were VISIBLE ghosting images all over the screen. They were seen even with the lights switched on!

Next

I switched to a regular channel and zoomed the picture using zoom 3, we did not want to add channel logo's to the bunch. This is our attempt to remove the images without using a blasting method. (using a higher picture setting - STANDARD unaltered)

After 30 minutes:

The brightness of the ghost images were toned down but the screen was still obviously very very dirty.

As of 12:55pm today:

Some of the larger images are starting to fade away like the full ghosted image of the 2 game characters are a bit subtle now. The life bars and other static images are still there but have faded a bit.

Will let you guys know as the screen hopefully continues to "heal".

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #40 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 06:43 PM »
^ great test! I'll be anticipating the final results

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 10:01 PM »
^ great test! I'll be anticipating the final results

Thanks! My loss is your gain=) Just in-case this "burns-out"

As of 9:40pm (14 hours of washing the screen)

-The huge game character ghost images have completely disappeared!
-Faint images of the life bars and score marks are still there but you have to turn your lights off completely to see them. It's almost gone.

We will continue with regular cable viewing at zoom3 and will post as soon as all images have completely disappeared. (Crossing our fingers)

Do note that we observed the 100 hour break in period and we used Sights and Sounds Spyder calibrated settings.
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2009 at 10:06 PM by Carlo777 »

Offline dannielsimone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 11:34 PM »

-Faint images of the life bars and score marks are still there but you have to turn your lights off completely to see them. It's almost gone.

We will continue with regular cable viewing at zoom3 and will post as soon as all images have completely disappeared. (Crossing our fingers)

Do note that we observed the 100 hour break in period and we used Sights and Sounds Spyder calibrated settings.

100 hour break in?  I did it for 200 just to be sure.

Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 11:40 PM »
100 hour break in?  I did it for 200 just to be sure.

Yeah, this has been confusing for me as well, so guys is it a 100 hour break-in or 200?

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #44 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 11:45 PM »

Sir,

Thanks for conducting the test and sharing the results with us ...this is very important info to plasma tv owners and would be owners (Panasonic plasma tv's that is)...those who conduct a lot of research on forums like this before plunging into a technology usually have the burn-in image as one of the biggest worries when comparing plasma with LCD - based on initial results, looks like such is no longer an issue with the 8-series Panasonic Plasma.

In my case, I observed the 100-hour break-in period religiously, and have been using the PV8 as how I would use my previous crt tv - sometimes long hours watching CNN with the static logo ... I haven't encountered any burn-in issues after more than 6 months of use ... I haven't tried to use it for games though - I'm quite worried of the burn-in image still - after your test however, I might consider buying a Wii or PS3  ;D ;D
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 11:49 PM »

Sir,

Thanks for conducting the test and sharing the results with us ...this is very important info to plasma tv owners and would be owners (Panasonic plasma tv's that is)...those who conduct a lot of research on forums like this before plunging into a technology usually have the burn-in image as one of the biggest worries when comparing plasma with LCD - based on initial results, looks like such is no longer an issue with the 8-series Panasonic Plasma.

In my case, I observed the 100-hour break-in period religiously, and have been using the PV8 as how I would use my previous crt tv - sometimes long hours watching CNN with the static logo ... I haven't encountered any burn-in issues after more than 6 months of use ... I haven't tried to use it for games though - I'm quite worried of the burn-in image still - after your test however, I might consider buying a Wii or PS3  ;D ;D

You're welcome!

So far the PV8 is performing very well. I'll go down later to check how the screen is doing^

Anyway, how did you perform your break-in?

Thanks a lot sir!

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Feb 08, 2009 at 11:55 PM »
You're welcome!

So far the PV8 is performing very well. I'll go down later to check how the screen is doing^

Anyway, how did you perform your break-in?

Thanks a lot sir!

for the 100-hour break-in period, i followed the suggestion to have the unit on zoom 3 to avoid the static TV station logos and the black bars when watching DVD's and HD video from my PCH and TViX .... I had the settings on default during the break-in ... the settings where only changed when the unit was calibrated by S&S

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 12:36 AM »
Wokie! Screen seems clear to me already and for an 8 hour demo gaming loop with the same scene, logo's, health bars, and near non-moving characters it took almost 16 hours to clear the entire screen.

My take

-Thus far Panasonic seems resistant to burn-in and based on my test, that statement is a reality!
-Image retention takes quite sometime to wash away, and for some people the removal of I.R's may just be more than a minor inconvenience.

Question

People say that as plasma's age - The removal of Image Retention is faster, true?

Thanks!

Offline kakashi

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 05:52 AM »
thanks for doing the burn in test bro, it really helps alot, specially for those people who aren't that well informed on the technological advances about plasma and are still going for the lcd's

anyways, i have been playing ps3 on my pv8 prior to the 100 break in period. being at work most of the time, and the set being only 9 days old, i was able to use it around 40-50 accumulated hours pa lang

so far i've never encountered any problems, =)

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 06:57 AM »
Carlo777 ill try to do this too, cause usually i play ps3 around 1-4 hours max.  but my settings is on ECO. 
but my IR usually disappears around 2 minutes after playing and would totally wash/go out after 15minutes (IIRC longest i waited *ng nakatutuk sa screen* ).
maybe if i try leaving a real static image for 8 hours ill get the same result as you have?
btw after playing i usually channel surf around 5 minutes (double checking which program i really wanted to watch), before settling to one channel or turnoff the tv if theres nothing to watch.

note:  my htpc desktop background takes 30 minutes (more or less), when i left it open for roughly 1 hour (went out to buy dinner).  but my background then was a white background with a big megatron image at the center.  this scenario scared me to death when i got home ..  ;D ;D
ninjababez online ..

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 12:25 PM »
Carlo777 ill try to do this too, cause usually i play ps3 around 1-4 hours max.  but my settings is on ECO. 
but my IR usually disappears around 2 minutes after playing and would totally wash/go out after 15minutes (IIRC longest i waited *ng nakatutuk sa screen* ).
maybe if i try leaving a real static image for 8 hours ill get the same result as you have?
btw after playing i usually channel surf around 5 minutes (double checking which program i really wanted to watch), before settling to one channel or turnoff the tv if theres nothing to watch.

note:  my htpc desktop background takes 30 minutes (more or less), when i left it open for roughly 1 hour (went out to buy dinner).  but my background then was a white background with a big megatron image at the center.  this scenario scared me to death when i got home ..  ;D ;D

Hard to say, funny thing is some "images" disappear faster like the "letterbox" lines kahit marathon viewing (6-8 hours) washes away within an hour or so. Important thing is that at least I know it's really safe to game on plasma :)

Blasting the screen daw with a white image gets the job done faster.

POST UPDATE: So if you guys play your ps3/xbox 360 on your plasma and then you get an I.R that does not wash away within a few mins. Don't worry temporary lang talaga yan ;)
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2009 at 12:50 PM by Carlo777 »

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 12:38 PM »
Hard to say, funny thing is some "images" disappear faster like the "letterbox" lines kahit marathon viewing (6-8 hours) washes away within an hour or so. Important thing is that at least I know it's really safe to game on plasma :)

Blasting the screen daw with a white image gets the job done faster.
yeah ive proven this already .. but panasonic doesnt have the white wash option  >:(  >:( 
btw i never timed doing a manual "whitewash" before, but i think its under 30minutes .. if i have time ill try and time it this weekend ..   :D :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 12:43 PM »
yeah ive proven this already .. but panasonic doesnt have the white wash option  >:(  >:( 
btw i never timed doing a manual "whitewash" before, but i think its under 30minutes .. if i have time ill try and time it this weekend ..   :D :D

How do you do a manual "whitewash"?

Can you test it for us? I want to see how long it really takes to remove an image using the whitewash...according to a lot of guys the whitewash is really faster. Regular cable viewing daw is the slowest way to get rid of I.R's!

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 03:04 PM »

Can you test it for us? I want to see how long it really takes to remove an image using the whitewash...according to a lot of guys the whitewash is really faster. Regular cable viewing daw is the slowest way to get rid of I.R's!
actually whitewash "burns" the whole screen, leaving a balance burn over the entire screen.
im not doing this anymore though, since i dont see the IR while watching movies and catv viewing anyway.  (lucky me  8) 8) )
but ill give it a go later, just for the heck of it. (and for the benefit of pv8xx users)   ;D ;D
the usual IR that i encounter is the health bar from ninja gaiden sigma.  ill let my gf and her kid play till midnight :D :D that should be long enough to produce a very annoying IR ..  ;D
ninjababez online ..

Offline Paulusreef

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 08:37 PM »
Guys,

Im thinking of buying pv8 at tanong ko lang.  How's the Glare problem of plasma? medyo madaming bintana yung room ko eh.  Saka hows the burnin problem lalo na pag gagamitin ko sya for ps3? lalo na sa games like GTA4 and MGS4 na may static images.

tnx!

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 08:58 PM »
Guys,

Im thinking of buying pv8 at tanong ko lang.  How's the Glare problem of plasma? medyo madaming bintana yung room ko eh.  Saka hows the burnin problem lalo na pag gagamitin ko sya for ps3? lalo na sa games like GTA4 and MGS4 na may static images.

tnx!

No problems with PS3, you will encounter image retention but it washes away after you watch another content.

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 09:52 PM »

Sir ninjababez is right.  The white wash feature burns the entire screen.

May white wash pa ba ang bagong Panasonic?  I think Panasonic is so confident about its phosphors that they consider the white wash and pixel shift functions as useless features.

The white wash function is a barbaric remedy for burn-in.  If the screen's phosphor has some burned areas, what it does is to burn all of the phosphors.  It doesn't restore the burned areas to their former unburned condition --- it actually burns the whole screen to darken the unburned areas. 

Your screen ends up cleaner --- but darker.  Needless to say, the white wash function shortens screen life.

It's important to distinguish between burn-in and image retention.  Plasma users already know the basic distinction that burn-in is permanent and IR is temporary.  But what is the underlying cause?  Why is burn-in permanent?  Why is IR temporary?

Burn-in results from uneven phosphor aging.  A white wash is probably the only way to clean up the screen.  "White wash" is actually a misleading name, since it doesn't whiten the screen; on the contrary, it actually darkens the entire screen.  But that's marketing for you.  Calling it "burn-all" would be more accurate, but that would be one hell of a scary name.  Definitely not marketing-friendly.  :D   

On the other hand, IR results from a residual charge in the plasma cell that goes away after the charge in all cells eventually equalize.  IR has nothing to do with phosphors, so a white wash feature would not help at all.

Here's how the Plasma Display Coalition describes IR:

From this test, image retention appears not to be caused by phosphor burn-in.  Rather, it appears to be an accumulated electrical charge within pixel walls. A full white image was displayed for a few hours on the two plasma TVs that showed residual images, after which the residual images disappeared completely. Had the phosphors aged sufficiently, this procedure would not have been enough to clear up the problem.

This points to the possibility of a residual electrical charge accumulating within the individual pixel walls, much like a capacitor. The all-white test pattern apparently cleared this charge.

http://www.plasmadisplaycoalition.org/results/image.php

Note that a quick remedy for IR is simply to display an all-white test pattern, rather than to run a white wash function.

« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2009 at 10:04 PM by barrister »

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #57 on: Feb 09, 2009 at 11:32 PM »
Anybody using a UPS to power their 42" plasma? I got an Apollo 620va UPS and it's not enough to power the TV. The UPS doesn't give its watt rating but if it's 60% of the va it should be more than enough for the TV. I'm wondering if a 1000va unit will do it?

As a follow up question, with generic UPS units just about the same price as an AVR, why would anyone still choose an AVR? Won't a UPS do all that plus more? Or am I missing something?

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Feb 10, 2009 at 12:08 AM »
Anybody using a UPS to power their 42" plasma? I got an Apollo 620va UPS and it's not enough to power the TV. The UPS doesn't give its watt rating but if it's 60% of the va it should be more than enough for the TV. I'm wondering if a 1000va unit will do it?

As a follow up question, with generic UPS units just about the same price as an AVR, why would anyone still choose an AVR? Won't a UPS do all that plus more? Or am I missing something?

Sir,

The cheaper model UPS are usually just line interactive - meaning if there's no problem with the commercial power, it is on bypass mode and just sends to the device whatever the supply is .... there's no voltage regulation ... another thing is that the output is not a pure sine wave - but this is good enough for devices not using AC motors.

The more expensive UPS uses double conversion - converts AC input to DC, then converts it back to AC ... the process offers clean regulated power to the devices connected ... there's more circuitry, hence more expensive.

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Feb 10, 2009 at 02:09 AM »
@barrister

Cool info! How about going to a no channel area that displays a white snow like pattern? Would that be fine?

Thanks!