Author Topic: what kind of hdd do you use on your nmt?  (Read 30147 times)

Offline toys4geeks

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
Re: what kind of hdd do you use on your nmt?
« Reply #150 on: Oct 08, 2011 at 04:34 PM »
From 9TB last 2009, now it grows 5x... gastos talaga!  ;D ;D

3TB x 17, and still growing. Pag umabot ng 20pcs to, delete na talaga yung iba.. :)

brader HD_movies, mas mahirap magdelete kasi, hanapin mo sa mga copy mo ang pinakamagandang i retain, eh ayun, 6 na Matrix trilogy ako di ko alam pa kung alin delete ko. hay..)
toy

Offline newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 372
« Reply #151 on: Oct 08, 2011 at 05:57 PM »
^ Wow ..... 6 different sets (encodes) of the Matrix trilogy.

If the encoder name is available, this would be a good criteria to use which copy to retain ..... some encoders' works really are a few notches above the rest.

Of course, the other usual suspects would be bitrate, resolution, file size, audio stream, etc .....  :)

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: Oct 08, 2011 at 06:49 PM »
^ Wow ..... 6 different sets (encodes) of the Matrix trilogy.

If the encoder name is available, this would be a good criteria to use which copy to retain ..... some encoders' works really are a few notches above the rest.

Of course, the other usual suspects would be bitrate, resolution, file size, audio stream, etc .....  :)

was also told to keep True-HD, DTS-MA, DTS over AAC/AC3 for audio, keep 1080p over 720p, keep BRD over HDTV/DVDRip but if all things equal sa file names, i keep the bigger one(in hopes mas maganda ang bitrate nya)
toy

Offline raider125jeigh

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #153 on: Oct 08, 2011 at 11:46 PM »
4 x 1.5TB  Thecus (mga latak na 720p, at new finds, plus SD movies)
4 x 2TB inside Mediasonic 4-bay (movies, movie series)
4 x 2TB inside Mediasonic 4-bay (animation, TV series, BDMV ISO)

2 aluminum storage x 5 disks x  1.5TB  offline, kabit sa dual dock pag may special requests.
1 aluminum storage x 5 disks x  2TB  offline, ready for disk cloning (kasama si CASTRO disk)

all except 2 units are  2TB SAMSUNG F4 (fastest to cool amongst all 2TB disks after 7 hours of disk cloning).

nakakapagod ding magayos ng disk contents ha.

anyways, to minimize the clutter, i am moving to 3TB,  
letting go off 1.5TB then 2.0TB, PM lang if you want and will dispose bahala na kayong magformat, I just need 8 hours to HD clone 2TB to my 3TB.

for now, pag kelangan i access, i use USB 2.0 dual dock (which has ESATA and USB 2.0), see pix below:

hehehe pa PM naman nyan bro

hmmmm currently using external HD
2 320gb WD
1 TB Go FLex
binenta ko ung mga 3.5 ko na samsung 1.5 TB na dalawa
need to ipon mode for new HD's
Love me or hate me.....

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #154 on: Oct 21, 2011 at 08:41 AM »
It sucks that street prices (in Tokyo) of WD HDDs have increased by $5-$10 due to the flooding problems in Thailand.

Any other HDD brand affected these days?

On topic, I like the convenience of powered 10-port USB2.0 hubs on NMTs; added ease that my USB hubs magnetically attach to AVRs and metallic devices or posts.

Offline rodelm172

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #155 on: Oct 24, 2011 at 11:17 AM »

I am about to buy a new HD for my NMT and it will be at least 1.5TB.

Question: When I format it, is it adviseable to just have one partition.... or is it better if I create more than one partition?

TIA...

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: Oct 24, 2011 at 11:20 AM »
I am about to buy a new HD for my NMT and it will be at least 1.5TB.

Question: When I format it, is it adviseable to just have one partition.... or is it better if I create more than one partition?

TIA...

depends on your NMT, PCH has preferred disk layout but rest are fine with just partition if you like browsing in one place.

if you partition 2 two or more, you have to select which partition everytime, (which is ok if you want to categorize your movies as --> ADULTS -- ANIMATION etc), the downside is the partitions are fixed so best 1 patition, and categorize by folder. mas maganda to navigate your list aphabetically (you may need to rename those files with "the" to be "lord of the rings, the" for the same search purpose

HTH
toy

Offline rodelm172

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: Oct 24, 2011 at 11:24 AM »
depends on your NMT, PCH has preferred disk layout but rest are fine with just partition if you like browsing in one place.

if you partition 2 two or more, you have to select which partition everytime, (which is ok if you want to categorize your movies as --> ADULTS -- ANIMATION etc), the downside is the partitions are fixed so best 1 patition, and categorize by folder. mas maganda to navigate your list aphabetically (you may need to rename those files with "the" to be "lord of the rings, the" for the same search purpose

HTH

It will be used on Egreat R1-ii  ;)  So simple (i.e., just one partition) is better pala.

Thanks for the always helpful reply, sir toys4geeks.  :)

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: Oct 24, 2011 at 03:00 PM »
It will be used on Egreat R1-ii  ;)  So simple (i.e., just one partition) is better pala.

Thanks for the always helpful reply, sir toys4geeks.  :)

Egreat R1ii is fantastic with 1 NTFS. btw it works on 3TB if you will be in the market for one
toy

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #159 on: Oct 25, 2011 at 05:25 AM »
Anybody noticed that internal HDDs in NMTs sometimes aren't read by the NMTs? I installed an internal Hitachi 2.5" on my 1st gen Xtreamer and was using it for less than a month. Now it cannot be read. Took it out and tried it on my HDD dock and it cannot be identified by my PC anymore. I also installed a Seagate 3.5" HDD on my Kaiboer 1055 and the reading of the HDD is inconsistent. Downside is when I play movies, they stop in the middle of it then goes back to the main screen and just hangs. Never had these problems on external HDDs.

« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2011 at 06:35 AM by nerveblocker »

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #160 on: Oct 25, 2011 at 06:33 AM »
Anybody noticed that internal HDDs in NMTs sometimes aren't read by the NMTs? I installed an internal Hitachi 2.5" on my 1st gen Xtreamer and was using it foe less than a month. Now it cannot be read. Took it out and tried it on my HDD dock and it cannot be identified by my PC anymore. I also installed a Seagate 3.5" HDD on my Kaiboer 1055 and the reading of the HDD is inconsistent. Downside is when I play movies, they stop in the middle of it then goes back to the main screen and just hangs. Never had these problems on external HDDs.

brader, sorry to hear, pains to lose data.

i dont use >5400 RPM disks for internal as disks tend to be hot and the heat isnt good for both the disk and the NMT.

so airflow (if unit has fans that suck the hot air out from disk) and passive cooling (thicker aluminum chassis is better), works best with circulated air while others put 3.5" fan to force air into the player's surface. dual docks likewise can benefit from the same fan.

Still, even with 5400 RPM gets problems in the 1st 2 months would likely have the disk replaced(lemons or not get that replaced).

I personally keep a backup and toss preloaded list of movies in a spare 1TB or 2TB sa player so that when disks konk out may puede pa balikan.

HTH
toy

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #161 on: Oct 25, 2011 at 06:37 AM »
brader, sorry to hear, pains to lose data.

i dont use >5400 RPM disks for internal as disks tend to be hot and the heat isnt good for both the disk and the NMT.

so airflow (if unit has fans that suck the hot air out from disk) and passive cooling (thicker aluminum chassis is better), works best with circulated air while others put 3.5" fan to force air into the player's surface. dual docks likewise can benefit from the same fan.

Still, even with 5400 RPM gets problems in the 1st 2 months would likely have the disk replaced(lemons or not get that replaced).

I personally keep a backup and toss preloaded list of movies in a spare 1TB or 2TB sa player so that when disks konk out may puede pa balikan.

HTH

Thanks for the inputs brader Jim. I will just go back to my previous practice of using external drives for my NMTs.  :-\

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #162 on: Oct 25, 2011 at 07:07 AM »
Thanks for the inputs brader Jim. I will just go back to my previous practice of using external drives for my NMTs.  :-\

oo yung external enclosures nowadays are also ok (USB 3.0 and eSATA), kasi may mga "suckout fans" na inside the enclosure. the pro of  3.5" internal disks  is its  mura per TB with its external counterparts and bigger capacity is available, cons are its big, its hot. 

I like 3.5" desktop disks when copying files into it,  since its SATA to SATA(8 x faster than USB 2.0), some egreat buyers ask me to transfer their contents from 1TB to their new 2TB free of charge, kasi 3 hours lang tapos na cloning. :)

But all things equal, i love 2.5" externals kasi malinis and less wires to maintain being usb powered.
toy

Offline deo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • 'Evening...commissioner :D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #163 on: Oct 25, 2011 at 10:48 AM »
sorry, dunno kung OT to, pero meron ba sa inyo nag install ng NMT apps sa PCH using their USB thumb drive? kasi ayko gawing ext3 ung internal drive sa pch...anyway, na notice ko prang ambagal mag browse...correction..(mas mabagal pala than the usual) ;D at ung playback medyo jittery...pero i doubt that it has something to do with the playback...

Offline karloff

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • DJ, Home Theater Fanatic
  • Liked:
« Reply #164 on: Oct 25, 2011 at 12:32 PM »
mine is Kaiboer H1055+
HDD's:
1-2.5-500gb WD My Passport-assorted movies for my bulilit ;D
1-3.5-1TB WD Caviar Green SATA- for DTS-HD movies
1-2.5-500gb Samsung spinpoint SATA 3.0- for DTS-HD movies
1-2.5-400gb Toshiba SATA- for DTS-HD movies
1-2.5-320gb Fujitsu SATA- for assorted HD movies

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #165 on: Oct 25, 2011 at 01:03 PM »
oo yung external enclosures nowadays are also ok (USB 3.0 and eSATA), kasi may mga "suckout fans" na inside the enclosure. the pro of  3.5" internal disks  is its  mura per TB with its external counterparts and bigger capacity is available, cons are its big, its hot. 

I like 3.5" desktop disks when copying files into it,  since its SATA to SATA(8 x faster than USB 2.0), some egreat buyers ask me to transfer their contents from 1TB to their new 2TB free of charge, kasi 3 hours lang tapos na cloning. :)

But all things equal, i love 2.5" externals kasi malinis and less wires to maintain being usb powered.

Wow bilis ng transfer rates.  I have usb 3.0 in my e350 htpc but the problem is that hindi stable ang connection ng usb 3.0 sa mobo or do I need to still update the driver.  During the few times that my WD external usb 3.0 is identified by my mobo, whenever i transfer large files, the connection gets cutoff.  Minsan naman the drive isn't  Identified. 

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #166 on: Oct 25, 2011 at 01:10 PM »
WD drives nearly $20 higher na in Tokyo street shops and with today's announcement of extended business suspension in Thailand, prices can only get higher in the near future.  It seems Seagate would be affected even worse.

So you'd better buy your HDD now habang meron pang mga old stock sa PC shops sa Manila...or tipid sa usage ng HDD muna.

Offline ABCmotorparts

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
« Reply #167 on: Oct 25, 2011 at 05:40 PM »
http://www.wdc.com/en/company/pressroom/releases.aspx?release=b5940d11-d8c2-49ed-9193-d1efb4bea2ed

IRVINE, Calif.-Oct. 17, 2011-Western Digital Corp. (NYSE: WDC) today announced that it has extended the suspension of its operations in Thailand. Over the weekend, rising water penetrated the Bang Pa-in Industrial Park flood defenses, inundating the company's manufacturing facilities there and submerging some equipment. At the other company manufacturing location in Thailand, Navanakorn Industrial Park, the park flood defenses were breached on Monday morning local time and water has begun to flow into the park threatening the company's facilities there. All WD employees in Thailand remain safe.

The company's other facilities in Malaysia, Singapore and the U.S. are fully operational. The company now expects that the flooding of its Thailand facilities, combined with flood damage to the company's supply chain in Thailand, will have significant impact on the company's overall operations and its ability to meet customer demand for its products in the December quarter. The company will provide further updates on the situation on its investment community conference call on Wednesday, October 19, 2011.

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: Oct 26, 2011 at 08:56 PM »
+200 na 2TB ah, hmm, to "b" or not to "b" (buy)

saya na ko sana sa presyo ng Samsung and was looking at 3TB biglang taas naman ang disks.
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2011 at 08:58 PM by toys4geeks »
toy

Offline ABCmotorparts

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: Oct 30, 2011 at 10:53 AM »
I was still able to get a WD My Book Essential 3TB sa mababang price sa Amazon US,...
Will arrive in the next few days,...

Cheers....

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: Oct 31, 2011 at 02:08 PM »
I was still able to get a WD My Book Essential 3TB sa mababang price sa Amazon US,...
Will arrive in the next few days,...

Your kids' school break is just tooooooooooo far away not to buy additional HDDs.  

Today's my wedding anniversary and all I want as present is a new HDD.  Hahaha.  But prudence took the better part of me hence I've been deleting dupes the past week or so - and in the process freed a good amount of HDD space.  My latest 2TB HDD has got to be the most prolific in terms of downloads - and transfers..hehehe

« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2011 at 02:09 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline ABCmotorparts

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: Oct 31, 2011 at 02:11 PM »
Your kids' school break is just tooooooooooo far away not to buy additional HDDs.  

Today's my wedding anniversary and all I want as present is a new HDD.  Hahaha.  But prudence took the better part of me hence I've been deleting dupes the past week or so - and in the process freed a good amount of HDD space.  My latest 2TB HDD has got to be the most prolific in terms of downloads - and transfers..hehehe

Sir labis kayong mapanukso,.. HAHAHAHA,...

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #172 on: Oct 31, 2011 at 02:14 PM »
Sir labis kayong mapanukso,.. HAHAHAHA,...

I didnt mean to.  My exact first words were, if you recall - "you might be interested..."  hahaha
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2011 at 02:15 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: Oct 31, 2011 at 03:24 PM »
Tokyo prices of 2TB internals now at 2.4x the level 3 weeks ago.  240% - WTF????

Cheaper to buy old stocks of external, self powered HDDs.

« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2011 at 03:32 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 372
« Reply #174 on: Oct 31, 2011 at 06:12 PM »
Tokyo prices of 2TB internals now at 2.4x the level 3 weeks ago.  240% - WTF????

Cheaper to buy old stocks of external, self powered HDDs.

Yup, even here it went up by around 20% ..... and this is for the older SATA-2 HDD's at the known cheaper PC shops.

The Thailand floods really messed-up with the HDD supply chain (and Thai lives of course). Hope everything normalizes soon. 

Offline firestorm

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: Oct 31, 2011 at 06:34 PM »

Wow Alan, this is the first time I've heard you deleting files just to free up space. All because of the floods in Thailand.

BTW, what is so special about your latest 2TB HDD that it is the most prolific in downloads and transfers?

Thanks.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #176 on: Nov 01, 2011 at 04:00 PM »
Wow Alan, this is the first time I've heard you deleting files just to free up space. All because of the floods in Thailand.

No James.  Because I must buy the wife a really nice bag as present, kaya I cant buy anything for myself muna.

Cleaning up the HDDs won't help me that much actually (huhuhu) but I'm liking the result - got rid of old duplicate encodes kaya very tidy.

Offline anya618

• Trade Count: (+3196)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2625
« Reply #177 on: Oct 10, 2012 at 11:52 AM »
1 x 3tb seagate external
1 x 3tb elements
3 x 2tb elements
1 x 1tb wd green
2 x 80gb sata
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline GLC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #178 on: Oct 24, 2012 at 08:38 PM »
I'm using 1tb wd blue and 2tb wd green on my xtreamer pro
A lie is a great story that is ruined with the truth- Barney Stinson

Offline stilljey

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • DVD Guru
  • You get what you pay
  • Liked:
« Reply #179 on: Nov 02, 2012 at 06:25 AM »
2TB WD My Book Essential - movies
500gb WD Western Digital - Flac (music)
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2012 at 06:27 AM by stilljey »
LED LG LA42B532/Onkyo NR709/Emotiva xpa5/Cambridge 851a/MA RX/PB12nsd/Panny BDP220P/Chord/Egreat R6S