Author Topic: Inconsistent volume from digital output  (Read 963 times)

Offline ProtegeManiac

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Inconsistent volume from digital output
« on: May 06, 2010 at 10:39 AM »
I replaced my CPU recently, giving the newer one built by my brother and brought my HP media center out from storage.

Old Set-up: PC's on-board sound card > Ixos Optical cable > DAC-AH > custom AU24 cables > Little Dot MkII Headphone Amp > Grado SR225 / AKG K66

New Set-up: HP on-board sound card > Coaxial cable* > DAC-AH > custom AU24 cables > Little Dot MkII Headphone Amp > Grado SR225 / AKG K66

Now I'm getting funky gain settings from the digital out. In the middle of a song, there will be a long passage with the electric guitars, bass, drums and a string quintet playing, plus a choir, and at one point either the guitar or the orchestra starts losing volume. On another passage, which is a quiet one with just the violin on the ambient and the bass handling the beat, the latter sounds "in-your-face" as it should on a Grado, then near the end starts tolose volume, then when all the other instruments go back in, it's too loud so I decrease teh volume. Towards the end of the song, it shouldn't be fading out, but it was, and when the next track started, I had to turn the amp volume knob back to 10:00. On the old PC, I just had it at 8:00 and only moved it when I play some albums that were recorded at higher gain.

Funny part is, when the volume from the music is low, it doesn't affect the volume of Windows sound effects.

What's happening here? Is it a software issue?

*Given my table's still a mess of cables I decided to not use my fragile 47Labs coax and use two others that I had lying around, customs out of pro-grade 75ohm cables terminated with RCA plugs. The one with a Quantum cable had loose plugs on it so I switched to the other one made by Audiophile for me, and it had the same issue. Used the first one with my Marantz CDP as source and it didn't have any problems.

Offline carlhenry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Re: Inconsistent volume from digital output
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2010 at 06:43 AM »
had the same problem with my 5.1 setup. source is - BAD CABLES.

minsan nagiging minus 1 yung mga kanta ko pag nag pplay pwede ka magkaraoke hehehe tapos konting tapik ko lang sa wires higpit higpit rin kunwari ayun bumabalik na. tingin ko nababanat mo yung wires ng headphone mo bossing.

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2010 at 02:00 PM »
In digital output and cables, either you have a signal or don't. So it's not the cable. Software drivers, either the sound, the application or the OS itself.

Offline ProtegeManiac

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2010 at 05:35 PM »
In digital output and cables, either you have a signal or don't. So it's not the cable. Software drivers, either the sound, the application or the OS itself.

Forgot to check on this post. Had the DAC diagnosed and all terminals are fine, and was also advised that the heat soak could have damaged the chips. Already ordered a CS8414 and 10xTDA1543 from eBay, if the swaps work I'm drilling the chassis on the left and right sides of the circuit board and installing push-pull USB powered fans.