Author Topic: Atheism/Agnosticism in the Philippines  (Read 79882 times)

Offline alistair

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Atheism/Agnosticism in the Philippines
« Reply #600 on: Feb 19, 2010 at 02:54 PM »
there still a disagreement between atheist...
Sir, with all due respect, do you think all atheists belong to a single group and all think the same way?

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #601 on: Feb 19, 2010 at 03:02 PM »
nope... still... not clear answer...

there still a disagreement between atheist...

In much the same way that there are still disagreements between theists, and even between Christians. I'm beginning to smell a cop out here.

Offline alistair

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Dito na lang ako sa marunong makiusapti
« Reply #602 on: Feb 19, 2010 at 03:41 PM »
i'm saying that evolution should be a continuing process, and the start and end points should vary from species to species.  the fact that we have no conclusive evidence of an observed evolution in the recent past means that macro evolution is non-existent.
It is a continuing process, sir. And it has been observed, recorded, and can be replayed, sir:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn14094-bacteria-make-major-evolutionary-shift-in-the-lab.html

but they're not a different species.  they're still dogs.  to be a different species, they should be biologically distinct from previous dogs.
Would you care to define 'biologically distinct', sir? It's hard to argue that a Great Dane and a Chihuahua aren't 'biologically distinct'. Or that the modern, domestic dog isn't distinct from previous dogs, namely, their ancestors/cousins the wolves.

From what I know, the common definition of species is they have to be able to interbreed. With domestic dogs, a lot of them can't interbreed anymore. They also can't interbreed with wolves, their closest relative in the family Canidae. Hence, I contend that we're actually witnessing speciation happening, although it'll take more time before full speciation occurs.

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #603 on: Feb 19, 2010 at 09:57 PM »
Bible. never change through time.

i dont based my morality on what the church says. its always the bible. every church leader has their own conviction which may be differnt from others... but the Bible standard never change through time.

how about atheist... i assume some of them may be still confuse where to base their morality.

neither do the Holy Quran nor the Torah  :D

the Holy Bible just gets edited and revised  :D

Offline choy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #604 on: Feb 20, 2010 at 05:04 AM »
choy,

Firstly, I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth. I believe in Jesus Christ, His only son our Lord.

Secondly, all you said are nice and I fully agree.

But proof, there is none.

bumblebee, there are plenty of proof.  but the problem is people are looking at things the wrong way.  again, its a matter of believing the proof that has been given.

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #605 on: Feb 20, 2010 at 07:49 AM »
God either requires faith or there is no proof. If there is proof then faith is not necessary. Which is it?

Offline choy

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #606 on: Feb 20, 2010 at 08:18 AM »
faith doesn't need no proof

a lot of people has the wrong impression that where proof and evidence ends, faith begins

faith actually relies on knowing.  there is of course blind faith, but real faith means you know what you are believing in

Offline alistair

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #607 on: Feb 20, 2010 at 12:16 PM »
bumblebee, there are plenty of proof.  but the problem is people are looking at things the wrong way.  again, its a matter of believing the proof that has been given.
If there's (formal) proof, why do we require belief in the proof?

Or do you mean to say evidence, not proof?

faith doesn't need no proof

Sir, are you saying that faith is justified even in the absence of proof?

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #608 on: Feb 20, 2010 at 01:55 PM »
bumblebee, there are plenty of proof.  but the problem is people are looking at things the wrong way.  again, its a matter of believing the proof that has been given.

I'm not aware of any proof. Show me.
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2010 at 02:07 PM by bumblebee »

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #609 on: Feb 21, 2010 at 02:44 PM »
quote from SSM thread

imho also, i think the most insensitive person here in earth is the atheist if your concept of disrespect is by saying that ones belief is wrong.

how can a person be insensitive and disrespectful by just not believing in the other's religion?

i wont be offended by a person who doensnt believe in God or who doest share my beliefs and religion. we may differ, even argue but i will respect his views and not ram down his throat what i believe in. The last thing i will ever tell him is "he wont be saved or go to heaven" because he doesnt share my belief.

the issue of salvation is sensitive. by stating that ONLY you will be saved because what you believe in is the only right belief alienates and disrespects others who dont share your belief.
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2010 at 02:55 PM by ojof00l »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #610 on: Feb 21, 2010 at 02:57 PM »
A-men.

Offline dpogs

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 484
« Reply #611 on: Feb 21, 2010 at 06:03 PM »
i am just want a clear answer

how atheist draw a line between moral and imoral?

paano nila masasabi na ang ganitong gawain ay imoral o hindi?

do they have some set of standards? or kung ano lang din ang sinasabi ng gobyerno susundin lang nila.

then why not respect my believe regarding salvation. i just share my believe who will be save. every church has their own belief of salvation, does it mean that they disrespect each belief???

didnt you consider that by just saying there is no God is simply saying that our belief is wrong.
There is none righteous, no not one.

Offline alistair

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #612 on: Feb 21, 2010 at 06:24 PM »
Sir, was my answer regarding normative ethics unclear to you?

Are you aware that, Theists and atheists alike both use some form of normative ethics to arrive at moral decisions?

do they have some set of standards?
Sir, do you think all atheists are the same?

Do all Theists have some set of standards?

or kung ano lang din ang sinasabi ng gobyerno susundin lang nila.
Doesn't everybody have to follow the law?

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #613 on: Feb 21, 2010 at 07:01 PM »
i am just want a clear answer

paano nila masasabi na ang ganitong gawain ay imoral o hindi?

do they have some set of standards? or kung ano lang din ang sinasabi ng gobyerno susundin lang nila.

then why not respect my believe regarding salvation. i just share my believe who will be save. every church has their own belief of salvation, does it mean that they disrespect each belief???

didnt you consider that by just saying there is no God is simply saying that our belief is wrong.

What do you do when the bible contradicts itself? How do you decide what is right and wrong?

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #614 on: Feb 21, 2010 at 07:05 PM »
for example?

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #615 on: Feb 21, 2010 at 07:29 PM »
What I asked previously. It's talking about killing your brother, sister, etc.

Offline dorian_gray

• DVD Guru
  • Bakla ako...may angal?
  • Liked:
« Reply #616 on: Feb 21, 2010 at 08:03 PM »
I have to say though that I am not a Bible expert or an expert of any religion (eventhough I grew up in a highly religious environment and family).

Here is one example of inconsistencies in the Bible:

Exodus 20:14 (King James Version)
 14Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Hosea 1:2 (King James Version)
 2The beginning of the word of the LORD by Hosea. And the LORD said to Hosea, Go, take unto thee a wife of whoredoms and children of whoredoms: for the land hath committed great whoredom, departing from the LORD.

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #617 on: Feb 21, 2010 at 08:30 PM »
I have to say though that I am not a Bible expert or an expert of any religion (eventhough I grew up in a highly religious environment and family).

Here is one example of inconsistencies in the Bible:

Exodus 20:14 (King James Version)
 14Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Hosea 1:2 (King James Version)
 2The beginning of the word of the LORD by Hosea. And the LORD said to Hosea, Go, take unto thee a wife of whoredoms and children of whoredoms: for the land hath committed great whoredom, departing from the LORD.

First of all: HOsea has no existing wife when God commanded him to choose a wife. So there is no adultery at all.

Offline alistair

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #618 on: Feb 21, 2010 at 09:32 PM »
First of all: HOsea has no existing wife when God commanded him to choose a wife. So there is no adultery at all.
Sir, are you saying it's not adultery when you're single?

Offline dorian_gray

• DVD Guru
  • Bakla ako...may angal?
  • Liked:
« Reply #619 on: Feb 22, 2010 at 03:33 AM »

Another one:

1 Peter 3:15
15But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

2 Timothy 2:14-16
14Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.
15Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
16But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

Offline alistair

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #620 on: Feb 22, 2010 at 11:31 PM »
(Coming from here...)

since atheist never view their belief as a religion, their ideas of morality will not be include.
Sir, do you think that since atheists don't believe in God they have no ethics and have no sense of morality?

Or, are you again going to say, atheists can't agree on a single standard of morality, therefore they have no ethics?

Do all Theists agree on their standard of morality? Can you follow your own train of thought to its logical conclusion?

Offline choy

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Re: Dito na lang ako sa marunong makiusapti
« Reply #621 on: Feb 23, 2010 at 01:28 AM »
It is a continuing process, sir. And it has been observed, recorded, and can be replayed, sir:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn14094-bacteria-make-major-evolutionary-shift-in-the-lab.html

the bacteria acquired a new ability, but is still bacteria.  micro-organisms mutate and adopt all the time.  but they're still micro-organisms.  that still doesn't explain how bacteria eventually became larger organisms

Would you care to define 'biologically distinct', sir? It's hard to argue that a Great Dane and a Chihuahua aren't 'biologically distinct'. Or that the modern, domestic dog isn't distinct from previous dogs, namely, their ancestors/cousins the wolves.

biological distinctness is more than the physical attribute.  i have never seen you in person, but i'm pretty sure your physical appearance is distinct from Mahal.  does that mean you and Mahal are different species?

From what I know, the common definition of species is they have to be able to interbreed. With domestic dogs, a lot of them can't interbreed anymore. They also can't interbreed with wolves, their closest relative in the family Canidae. Hence, I contend that we're actually witnessing speciation happening, although it'll take more time before full speciation occurs.

nope, inter-species can breed, although its not natural.  no animal will do it by instinct but its possible.  and that is not a criteria to say they are distinct species

Offline alistair

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #622 on: Feb 23, 2010 at 08:16 AM »
the bacteria acquired a new ability, but is still bacteria.  micro-organisms mutate and adopt all the time.  but they're still micro-organisms.  that still doesn't explain how bacteria eventually became larger organisms
Are you asking about how single-celled organisms possibly became multi-cellular?

Some organisms formed colonies. Chloroplasts in eukaryotes are thought to have evolved from an asymbiotic relationship with Cyanobacteria.

biological distinctness is more than the physical attribute...
inter-species can breed, although its not natural. and that is not a criteria to say they are distinct species
This is where a lot of confusion arises.

So, sir, respectfully, in your biology, may I ask what comprises a 'species'?

Offline choy

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #623 on: Feb 23, 2010 at 08:21 AM »
Are you asking about how single-celled organisms possibly became multi-cellular?

Some organisms formed colonies. Chloroplasts in eukaryotes are thought to have evolved from an asymbiotic relationship with Cyanobacteria.

THOUGHT being the operative word there
its all in the mind

Offline alistair

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #624 on: Feb 23, 2010 at 08:33 AM »
THOUGHT being the operative word there
its all in the mind
I agree sir.

So is Creation 'science'.

At least evolutionary science is consistent with biology, genetics, geology, archaeology, paleontology, and a whole bunch of other -ologies.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #625 on: Feb 23, 2010 at 08:48 AM »
I agree sir.

So is Creation 'science'.

At least evolutionary science is consistent with biology, genetics, geology, archaeology, paleontology, and a whole bunch of other -ologies.

Creation Science is consistent with one -ology... theology.  ;)  I guess for some, theology is good enough to replace all of the other -ologies.

Which is kinda funny if you think about it. They can't accept evolution because it's not in the bible but if people get sick, they suddenly go to doctors who, from what I know, never got their education from the bible.
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2010 at 08:49 AM by indie boi »

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #626 on: Feb 23, 2010 at 12:05 PM »

That's how biologist explain nature... species... subspecies... etc...

but in the Bible there are only two species: human and animals.

and in nature there are only two things that exist: living and non-living, positive or negative, north pole or south pole, action and reaction, right and wrong

and in the Bible there are only two fources that exist: good and evil. God and Satan. if you are not God's then your Satan's .... as simple as that. No need to explain things in different perspective.

This is my belief as a creationist. because when we makes things complicated it only just show how foolish we are.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #627 on: Feb 23, 2010 at 01:08 PM »

That's how biologist explain nature... species... subspecies... etc...

but in the Bible there are only two species: human and animals.

and in nature there are only two things that exist: living and non-living, positive or negative, north pole or south pole, action and reaction, right and wrong

and in the Bible there are only two fources that exist: good and evil. God and Satan. if you are not God's then your Satan's .... as simple as that. No need to explain things in different perspective.

This is my belief as a creationist. because when we makes things complicated it only just show how foolish we are.

What a very simple view of nature and universe, it's either one or the other. Dunno what to say to this, really especially since all branches of science have been rendered moot and trivial. Makes you wonder about a lot of things, like, do you use electricity at home for example since it wasn't mentioned in the Bible. But then you use a computer to post here, which means you do use modern technology, which is, for all intents and purposes, not in the bible, and therefore, according to your absolute belief in the immutability of the bible, immoral.

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #628 on: Feb 23, 2010 at 01:37 PM »
when it comes to moral issue... i consult the Bible.

Does homosexuality immoral: yes
Does abortioni immoral: yes
Does adultery immoral: yes
Does showing your private parts in public immoral: yes
Does kissing before marriage immora: yes
Does pre-marital sex immoral: yes
How about RH bill: i always believe a safe sex practice (natural way) between two legal couples but not abortion of course. and i disagree taking pills not on its moral issue but on its possible negative effect sa katawan ng misis ko.
Does cleavage immoral: yes

using internet: not
using internet to view pornography: yes
using electricity: not
using electricity to use for our carnal desires: yes
reading magazines: not
reading playboy: yes

but when in doubt dont do it.

universal set of moral standard. there must exist in the whole world, mapa theist man o atheist must follow universal set of moral standard.

question: where do we base our moral standard. suggestion ko: bible

if other religion disagree: why not try culmination of all moral belief ng lahat ng religion and since atheist claimed that they are not a religion... their moral view will not be included.

Offline alistair

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #629 on: Feb 23, 2010 at 01:51 PM »
mapa theist man o atheist must follow universal set of moral standard.

since atheist claimed that they are not a religion... their moral view will not be included.

Sir, I'm still trying to take you seriously, but which one is it?

Atheists must follow a moral standard, or

Atheists do not have the capability to be moral?