Author Topic: Atheism/Agnosticism in the Philippines  (Read 79854 times)

Offline tigkal

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • 9 going 10
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Re: Atheism/Agnosticism in the Philippines
« Reply #990 on: Oct 07, 2010 at 08:29 AM »
You must be talking about Leviticus 18:22!

Remember folks we cannot eat food that Leviticus 11:10-12 bans! Or else you go to hell! ;D

This is an example that when reading the bible, we should consider the values, customs, traditions and biases at that time, and not just accept what is written as gospel truth.

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #991 on: Oct 07, 2010 at 08:37 AM »

To Sir Pabili, hahayaan ko na lang kayo sir. Di ko na pagkakait ang konting kaligayahan nyong nalalabi. ;) Alam ko kung ilan ang dead threads sa PDVD, and FYI nakikita ko din ang mga deleted posts at pwede ko ding i-undelete if need be. ;D

Basta ang advice ko lang, para wag mapahiya double-check muna ang signed account sa PDVD at kung anong thread ang binabasa.  :-*

napansin mo pag nabanggit ang "true id" ni aHobbit, medyo "lie low" muna bago humirit uli?  ;D ::)

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: pa OT ulit...
« Reply #992 on: Oct 07, 2010 at 08:42 AM »

hmmm.... tama pala ang spelling ng "longkot"... hehehe

oks lang yung sir dpogs, hindi nabago ang ibig sabihin.

hindi gaya ng turo-turo at toro-toro  ;D

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #993 on: Oct 07, 2010 at 09:07 AM »

oks lang yung sir dpogs, hindi nabago ang ibig sabihin.

hindi gaya ng turo-turo at toro-toro  ;D

or slut and slot?

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #994 on: Oct 10, 2010 at 06:03 AM »
This is an example that when reading the bible, we should consider the values, customs, traditions and biases at that time, and not just accept what is written as gospel truth.

Hermeneutics.

Offline moejun

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • left brain by the popcorn stand
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #995 on: Oct 10, 2010 at 07:08 AM »
or slut and slot?

hehe my all-time favorite
keyboard warrior, gay advocate

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
« Reply #996 on: Oct 10, 2010 at 07:55 AM »

Offline tigkal

• Collector
  • 9 going 10
  • Liked:
« Reply #997 on: Oct 11, 2010 at 02:47 PM »
Hermeneutics.

That is a new term for me.Read about occult, magic, etc, to try to understand the bible. The closest plausible explanation for me came from reading the books of Sitchin. But experienced also something that cannot be explained logically, so it is between believing what is logical or just believe.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #998 on: Oct 13, 2010 at 02:33 PM »
For those na tinatamad magbasa like me.   ;D

BBC Horizon 2010 What Happened BEFORE The Big Bang

A 1-hour documentary about some new radical ideas about what was going on before the Big Bang.

It seems cosmologists are indeed diverting from their 20th century idea that the Big Bang is the beginning of time simply because the thought of starting from nothing is logically challenging, to say the least.  They are now talking of multiple-universes, big bounce, cosmological natural selection, collision of "Branes" in another dimension, and also representing the universe mathematically as a wave instead of an object - all of which are suggesting that something must have preceded the Big Bang, there is more than one universe, and at least there must have been one big bang like event.

It's just an hour of program, hence only the main idea behind the new theories were presented.

« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2010 at 02:35 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline redrat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #999 on: Nov 20, 2010 at 12:36 AM »
Just got the time again to visit this thread and wow, I need to do a lot backreading on this thread!

Here's an interesting ad campaign from some atheists at the US. It would be good if some group here in the Philippines will do the something similar.

One of the best quotes I have read from the ad is this:

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own - a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty."
- Albert Einstein

Consider Humanism: The Largest Atheist Ad Campaign In History
http://friendlyatheist.com/2010/11/09/consider-humanism-the-largest-atheist-ad-campaign-ever-2/

Excerpts:

“Humanist values are mainstream American values, and this campaign will help many people realize that they are already humanists and just did not know the term,” said Roy Speckhardt, executive director of the American Humanist Association. “Humanists believe in and value love, equality, peace, freedom and reason — values that are comparable to those of moderate and liberal religious people.”

“It’s important that people recognize that a literal reading of religious texts is completely out of touch with mainstream America,” Speckhardt added. “Although religious texts can teach good lessons, they also advocate fear, intolerance, hate and ignorance. It’s time for all moderate people to stand up against conservative religion’s claim on a moral monopoly.”

The point is that religious texts say some horrible things and we shouldn’t put them on a pedestal. We certainly should’ve base our lives around them. The more we can expose people to that kind of thinking and steer them toward Humanism, the better off we’ll all be.
long live heavy metal and blues rock!

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #1000 on: Nov 20, 2010 at 04:30 AM »
And Atheism/Agnoticism is a better alternative?

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1001 on: Nov 21, 2010 at 09:43 PM »

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own - a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty."
- Albert Einstein

Einstein (I think at this point) failed to see what happened with the first Creation of God - perfect Adam & Eve - and blessed them. Then, the enemy of God spoiled it - thus penalty was pronounced! However, God is to redeem man, so He established His timeline for the deliverance.

Is He to punish His creation? No. In fact, He established a way to redeem His creation!

But you ask some people will end up being punished. The Bible say - yes!

“It’s important that people recognize that a literal reading of religious texts is completely out of touch with mainstream America,” Speckhardt added. “Although religious texts can teach good lessons, they also advocate fear, intolerance, hate and ignorance. It’s time for all moderate people to stand up against conservative religion’s claim on a moral monopoly.”

What is really interesting to note is that ... atheists also hates religious people! Religious people will accuse atheist as ignorant (of God) ... while atheists will tell religious people as ignorant (of his god - his own philosophy).

Hate is a relative word! Ignorance as well! Intolerance / fear.

Wrong is relative to people who do not have a definitive standard - one that will change overtime!

Thus, what is wrong today by society standard ... will someday become right by society standard. If this is what we adhere to as standard, then I think we are really heading into a big problem - and I would say atheists has many big problems to deal with. They only try to brush aside their problems by reinventing their excuses since their past alibis do not fit anymore to more intelligent assaults to their belief (religion) system!

« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2010 at 11:12 AM by aHobbit »
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline tigkal

• Collector
  • 9 going 10
  • Liked:
« Reply #1002 on: Nov 22, 2010 at 07:20 AM »
Einstein (I think at this point) failed to see what happened with the first Creation of God - perfect Adam & Eve - and blessed them. Then, the enemy of God spoiled it - thus penalty was pronounced! However, God is to redeem man, so He established His timeline for the deliverance.

Is He to punish His creation? No. In fact, He established a way to redeem His creation!

But you ask some people will end up being punished. The Bible say - yes!

I just cannot understand why knowing the difference between good and evil makes us less than perfect. And be ignorant of the difference makes us perfect. This and other bible stories in the old testament makes me think that the God in the old testament wants perfect obedience. Read the story of Jacob, where God commanded that all women and children will be killed. However one soldier took pity and for that he was killed for not following God's command.

Offline alistair

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1003 on: Nov 22, 2010 at 08:15 AM »
Einstein (I think at this point) failed to see what happened with the first Creation of God - perfect Adam & Eve - and blessed them. Then, the enemy of God spoiled it - thus penalty was pronounced!
Wasn't Satan also a creature of God?

What is really interesting to note is that ... atheists also hates religious people!
Do you have evidence for that? Or are you just saying that because "hate is a relative word" (but right/wrong are absolutes).

From what I've seen—atheists couldn't care less about the religious, but only up until the religious start pounding on the atheist's doors and demanding they change their lifestyle to accommodate the religious' views.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
« Reply #1004 on: Nov 22, 2010 at 04:09 PM »
This cartoon pretty much sums up your point:

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1005 on: Nov 24, 2010 at 11:18 AM »
I just cannot understand why knowing the difference between good and evil makes us less than perfect. And be ignorant of the difference makes us perfect. This and other bible stories in the old testament makes me think that the God in the old testament wants perfect obedience. Read the story of Jacob, where God commanded that all women and children will be killed. However one soldier took pity and for that he was killed for not following God's command.

The God of the Bible requires perfect obedience!

And if you understood this from your reading ... then you will be able to understand why Jesus needs to come ... simply because we can not obey perfectly.

people already connects death to punishment ... if this is so, then we can interpret that all of us will be punished (because all of us will die).

But God's view of death is just translation ... children get killed, not only by the sword ... and whatever intent God has for that OT event is probably beyond the scope of our limited reasoning ... but far from injustice!

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1006 on: Nov 24, 2010 at 11:22 AM »
Wasn't Satan also a creature of God?
Do you have evidence for that? Or are you just saying that because "hate is a relative word" (but right/wrong are absolutes).

hate (action / response) is a relative word for the society.

right & wrong (reference) becomes absolute to an individual if a standard have been appropriated!

Thus, depending on the chosen point of reference, a pronouncement (relative to the standard chosen) made by the (reference) believer can be viewed as hate by the unbelieving party.

From what I've seen—atheists couldn't care less about the religious, but only up until the religious start pounding on the atheist's doors and demanding they change their lifestyle to accommodate the religious' views.

I think you got it on the side of the atheist ... the laws of US before allowed public prayer ... the atheists removed it, and punishable if violated ... the originals contains the word GOD ... the atheist will try to remove that in the original.

If atheist can live with it ... why bother ... ah, because they wanted their brand / lifestyle also to be accomodated by those who do not believe!

So much for the hypocrisy!
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2010 at 11:28 AM by aHobbit »

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1007 on: Nov 24, 2010 at 01:40 PM »
I remember how stupid I felt the day I found out Santa Claus doesn't exist. I realised how ridiculous the whole concept was and was clearly just a method of blackmailing children to behave themselves all year round.

Anyway, I'm off to church now. I don't want to piss God off or I will go to hell.

Offline taq

• Apprentice
  • To err is human, to forgive is divine.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1008 on: Nov 24, 2010 at 04:40 PM »
A naturalist was reading all your posts....

Offline tigkal

• Collector
  • 9 going 10
  • Liked:
« Reply #1009 on: Nov 25, 2010 at 07:41 AM »

The God of the Bible requires perfect obedience!

And if you understood this from your reading ... then you will be able to understand why Jesus needs to come ... simply because we can not obey perfectly.

people already connects death to punishment ... if this is so, then we can interpret that all of us will be punished (because all of us will die).

But God's view of death is just translation ... children get killed, not only by the sword ... and whatever intent God has for that OT event is probably beyond the scope of our limited reasoning ... but far from injustice!

That is why religion also demands absolute obedience. .just like the Old Testament God.. And I cannot get into terms that God is Perfect, but made man who cannot obey perfectly..

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1010 on: Nov 25, 2010 at 07:55 AM »

dont worry, Jesus will come. in God's time. wag mo siya madaliin

so REPENT......(alisin ko yung "the end is near" - only God knows that. hindi yung panakot ng mga grupong gusto maka-recruit sa pamamagitan ng pananakot. rain of fire and brimstones hehehe )  ;D

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #1011 on: Dec 03, 2010 at 08:44 PM »
Atheist ad campaigns stir the pot during holiday season
By Liz Goodwin
Thu Dec 2, 3:30 pm ET

Atheists and Catholics have posted dueling billboards in New York City, creating a metaphysical face-off near the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel. One, put up by the group American Atheists, proclaims that Christmas is a "myth." The other, posted by the Catholic League in response, urges commuters: "You know it's real. This season, celebrate Jesus."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20101202/ts_yblog_thelookout/atheists-slick-ad-campaigns-sometimes-meet-with-resistance
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2010 at 08:45 PM by barrister »

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #1012 on: Dec 03, 2010 at 08:55 PM »
^ why pick on someone else' belief? atheists have the upper hand since they don't have anything that you can attack them with. in short, they have nothing but belief in their own reasoning hence self-righteousness comes to mind.

this is like picking on old grandma because she doesn't want to be sent to a home. atheists think followers of Christ are nuisance? why the hate?

joining a religious group may offer spiritual nourishment.
rejecting the thought of religion or a higher being gets you what? more time to scratch your balls perhaps?
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2010 at 09:04 PM by HEXAGRAM »

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1013 on: Dec 22, 2010 at 12:11 PM »
An interesting interview with a religious scholar who wrote a book called God, Sex and The Bible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6VMFjKaCc4

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1014 on: Dec 24, 2010 at 01:26 PM »
I just bought the religious version of Pokemon.

For some reason, none of my pokemon are evolving.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
« Reply #1015 on: Dec 24, 2010 at 02:49 PM »

LOL!

Offline Vinyasa

• Apprentice
  • virabhadrasana II
  • Liked:
« Reply #1016 on: Feb 09, 2011 at 10:39 PM »

;D pasensya na po nagpapaantok lang.
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2011 at 10:41 PM by Vinyasa »
the truth doesn't hurt, lies do

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1017 on: Apr 15, 2011 at 05:24 PM »
The Filipino Freethinkers society is starting to get slightly higher profile in recent weeks, at least online.

I do think it's high time for Filipino atheists and agnostics to speak up and stand up to the Catholic Church in order to create some sort of balance in our society. The Church has been enslaving the Filipino people for far too long.

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #1018 on: Apr 15, 2011 at 09:30 PM »
Oo nga naman. Let the Atheists and Agnostics who believe they are Gods to impose their will on their fellow men. Puro naman Catholics ... kami naman ...

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1019 on: Apr 15, 2011 at 09:51 PM »
Oo nga naman. Let the Atheists and Agnostics who believe they are Gods to impose their will on their fellow men. Puro naman Catholics ... kami naman ...

It is Catholics who impose their will. Not atheists. Most atheists don't seek to outlaw religion or religious practice just keeping it out of government.