Author Topic: Windows Vista in your HTPC setup is it worth it? (Advantage and DIsadvantage)  (Read 3477 times)

Offline klpangan

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi guyz can we discuss the pros and cons of using windows vista in our HTPC setup. Your reviews and setup thanks.

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
both vista and xp are good for HTPC  :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline Arulco

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 694
Vista is very good as long as you have lots of RAM. DDR2 RAM is cheap these days so get as much as you can. Also make sure its updated to SP1.

« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2009 at 09:46 PM by kromestar »

Offline Janusten

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
both vista and xp are good for HTPC  :)
agree

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
it would depend on your hardware ... if you have a new PC and at least 2gb memory, go for vista ... if you are using old hardware, use xp

i agree with sir ninjababez, both are good for htpc
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline carlhenry

• Collector
  • Liked:
after getting used to vista's interface
xp seems lacking

and yeah, make sure you have at least 2GB of ram if you're going for vista

- go with vista!

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
xp seems lacking

I have to agree with you.  I've enjoyed Vista more especially after installing Vistalizator on top of my Japanese OS PCs.

But Windows 7 sounds quite exciting indeed.

Offline red_one

• Collector
  • Liked:
XP or Vista is not important.. when you are watching the movie on your LCD or Plasma in full screen, you won't notice XP or Vista anymore. ;D

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
xp seems lacking

and yeah, make sure you have at least 2GB of ram if you're going for vista

- go with vista!

Yup! I agree! Bought a laptop a year and a half ago in the US. Operating system installed is Vista already. When it got here, I upgraded RAM from 1 GB to 2.5 GB. Performance improved. I plan to upgrade my RAM again to 4 GB! ;D

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
But Windows 7 sounds quite exciting indeed.
this was the feedback of beta users for vista 3 years ago.
im thinking once the full version comes out, it will yield disappointment, unless ofcourse you have the hardware to back it up  :D
eh hi-tech tayong mga taga pdvd .. ;D ;D
ninjababez online ..

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Here's my first HTPC question (as owner, although di pa na-assemble):

What OS to use?!  ???  I have an AMD X2 7750 (AM2+) and 4Gb 1066 CL-6 dual channel kit.

For the longest time, I have been avoiding Vista.  Di ako sanay, pero in fairness I have not attempted to adjust to it.  With HTPC possibly having an XBMC front-end, do I go for Vista?  32-bit or 64-bit?

Help mga masters.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Here's my first HTPC question (as owner, although di pa na-assemble):

What OS to use?!  ???  I have an AMD X2 7750 (AM2+) and 4Gb 1066 CL-6 dual channel kit.

For the longest time, I have been avoiding Vista.  Di ako sanay, pero in fairness I have not attempted to adjust to it.  With HTPC possibly having an XBMC front-end, do I go for Vista?  32-bit or 64-bit?

Hi Paolo,

Medyo pinakaba mo ko when you showed interest on the ION.  I have nothing against low power PCs but kung mag-i-invest ka rin lang on a new PC, I think it's better to have lots of rooms for expansion of capabilities, and extension of its lifespan - lalo na't palaki ng palaki ang "common" sizes of newer files.   ;) 

1.  MAGANDA yung configuration mo and it has more than enough juice to run Vista error-free.   

2.  Vista is simply more beautiful in terms of interface.  Hindi ka pa ba sawa sa XP?

3.  Data burned on DVD-R in UDF format under Vista MAY NOT be compatible with XP machines.    I'm not sure if this is dependent on the burning software. In my case, I use PowerToGo which came pre-installed in my PC.  I haven't been able to open any of the DVD-R I burned on any XP machine in UDF 1.5. 2.0 or 2.5 formats (I've read that UDF 2.0 is supposed to be compatible with XP but not in my case).   ISO/Joliet standard is fine on both Vista and OS but then UDF is necessary if I have to burn files larger than 2GB.

4.  But if you already have an XP installer, perhaps you should use that installer until Windows 7 is officially released.

5.  XBMC is quite fine on Vista, but the most efficient external codecs are not supported.  Please note.

Regards

Offline dm1179

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
the ION targets a different market.. the ones who prefer small form factor and lowest power consumption possible with improved graphics capability.

on my other HTPC setup using AMD X2 5200+, i use XP and KMPlayer. i also tried Windows 7 but KMPlayer is not fully supported. so for Windows 7, i installed Matroska CCCP (Combined Community Codec Pack) and used Windows Media Player 12 instead.
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2009 at 10:10 AM by dm1179 »
...guaranteed to rock your world!

Offline straker

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Go for Vista na rin. It audio tool is much more manageable compared to XP. Throw some cash to max out your mobo's RAM capacity. Do this while the memory is still cheap.

My former HTPC, originally using XP Media Ed,  is upgraded to Vista, availing of the free Vista upgrade offer when I bought the PC. With Windows 7 coming by yearend, I have this gut feeling that the same offer again be put up.  Which gives me that insane craving  to get another PC (and incur my wife's wrath).

I've built my HTPC, using my spare XP license. Still contemplating to upgrade this machine to Vista, but with my existing Vista powered-PC, MS could spook(?) me if both these machines are active in the internet.

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Vista has released it's official SP2 update, file size is about 380mb. They said improvement is noticeable with networking, although after upgrading, my PCs with XP as an OS still cannot acccess the other Hard drives that I shared. :P

Offline paolorenzo

• DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
Thanks for the replies everyone.  Sige, I will give Vista 32-bit a try.  I have made my research and it seems that Microsoft has been doing their homework in improving Vista.  So I will completely erase from my memory the horrors of the initial Vista release.

Allan, yes nakakasawa na nga ang XP.  I could use some eye-candy for a change.

Offline Dowals

• DVD Guru
  • Cobra Commander
  • Liked:
how much is the cheapest vista?
lowest paid in the banking industry

Offline paolorenzo

• DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
how much is the cheapest vista?

Vista Home Basic 32-bit goes for about P4,800 at Rising Sun Computers.

http://www.rsun.com.ph/view_item.php?item=SOF036

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Vista Home Basic 32-bit goes for about P4,800 at Rising Sun Computers.

Try to check kung available pa yung 5K na Vista Ultimate ni Ninjababez.

Offline paolorenzo

• DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
Just an update everyone.  I went against all previous choices, and went for Windows 7 RC (64-bit, build 7100).

Bad trip lang is that my 500Gb WD can't be detected in Win7.  This HDD was previously the internal HDD of an eGreat 31b, so it's EXT2 (or EXT3, not sure).  I've successfully installed EXT2 IFS, and able to see the drive in Win7 Explorer.  I just can't find where the HD content is stored.

Something is wrong.  I think it's the fact that EXT2/EXT3 are not officially supported by Windows 7 yet.  To install EXT2IFS, I had to set compatibility to Windows Vista.  On its own, the installer won't run in Win7.
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2009 at 09:12 AM by paolorenzo »

Offline daxbrandy

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
probably my first post...
I used windows vista 32bit before, well i got no problems with it when playing HD Movies or playing 3d games. I'm currently running Windows 7 (32bit) build 7201 on my HTPC. So far the obvious difference between Vista and Windows 7 is the boot-up speed.  I suggest you grab and try the windows 7 while it's still free. :)

Offline andre

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Vista can format your 8gb flash drive from FAT32 to NTFS.
While with XP you have to find third party softwares.

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Vista on an HTPC is definitely worth it. If your rig has modest capabilities, try to save on overhead by using Vista Home Basic SP1 which doesn't include the extra Aero overhead and is generally lighter out of the box. I was about to upgrade my X1200 to Vista Ultimate SP1, but changed my mind when I realized that everything was working so smoothly anyway so why mess around with something that isn't broken.
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Vista now has an SP2, I upgraded but....still unaware of it's advantage. ::).....or disadvantage. :P :-[

Offline straker

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Microsoft has a promo for Windows7 upgrade. You can buy the update DVD for 50USD. The bad news it applies only for US residents only. I couldn't get past it, even I opt for a download. Sayang!

Maybe check out COMDDAP by yearend, maybe they have a similar promo.

I do expect most media players may not work at first, but they will a few months later.

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Microsoft has a promo for Windows7 upgrade. You can buy the update DVD for 50USD. The bad news it applies only for US residents only. I couldn't get past it, even I opt for a download. Sayang!

Maybe check out COMDDAP by yearend, maybe they have a similar promo.

I do expect most media players may not work at first, but they will a few months later.
dont worry bro, upgrade OS is never as good as the full versions anyway  ;)
ninjababez online ..

Offline straker

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
dont worry bro, upgrade OS is never as good as the full versions anyway  ;)

Not really. The upgrade disks are as good as full OS installer, except for one limitation....it needs the CD of the previous OS. I'm living off update disks since 2000, when XP was launched.

The only self-sustaining installer CD in my possession is Win98SE ;D, which I need when I have to reinstall. I spent 2500 for the disk, and Win98 was below 2000 then.

I don't need to install Win98 and install XP afterwards. I can use the upgrade disks right ahead. During the installation process, the installer will ask for the Win98 CD before proceeding.

Dropped by the Microsoft website. Win7 full installer costs 199USD. Ang lupit!

« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2009 at 07:21 PM by straker »