Author Topic: Local Distro vs. Gray Market - What's better in terms of service.  (Read 2803 times)

Offline dips15

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What is the safer buy? Local or Gray market units?  Who fixes these gray units once the warranty lapses?

On a personal note, my family has experience buying TVs from SGT.  Service is very good.  What I like about their service is if its too difficult or too costly to fix, they'll replace the unit... assuming its still under warranty.  Had 1 DLP  projection tv have problems.  Since it was being phased out, was difficult to find parts.  They asked us too pick another unit.  It took us a few more months to chose a TV to replace.  By that time, value of flat panels have gone down and we eventually chose a Panasonic flat panel.  Haven't had experience after expiry of the warranty though. 

Hope you guys can share your experiences, so we'll know who gives the best (1) installation, (2) calibration, (3) warranty and (4) out of warranty service. 

Offline aligonzales

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Re: Local Distro vs. Gray Market - What's better in terms of service.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 21, 2009 at 12:54 PM »
What is the safer buy? Local or Gray market units?  Who fixes these gray units once the warranty lapses?

On a personal note, my family has experience buying TVs from SGT.  Service is very good.  What I like about their service is if its too difficult or too costly to fix, they'll replace the unit... assuming its still under warranty.  Had 1 DLP  projection tv have problems.  Since it was being phased out, was difficult to find parts.  They asked us too pick another unit.  It took us a few more months to chose a TV to replace.  By that time, value of flat panels have gone down and we eventually chose a Panasonic flat panel.  Haven't had experience after expiry of the warranty though. 

Hope you guys can share your experiences, so we'll know who gives the best (1) installation, (2) calibration, (3) warranty and (4) out of warranty service. 

I would choose to buy any gear from trusted sellers. My concern about the unit being gray or legit is secondary. The best choice is if you could get a legit unit from a trusted seller. Customer service from our trusted sellers here are way better that that of the local distros like Anson's , Abenson's, SM appliance..etc.
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2009 at 12:57 PM by aligonzales »

Offline dips15

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jul 21, 2009 at 02:31 PM »
I would choose to buy any gear from trusted sellers. My concern about the unit being gray or legit is secondary. The best choice is if you could get a legit unit from a trusted seller. Customer service from our trusted sellers here are way better that that of the local distros like Anson's , Abenson's, SM appliance..etc.

I agree with this... warranty service is much faster with our trusted sellers.  But what about after?  Say the unit is already phased out... do our trusted sellers have technicians who will actually fix the units or do they just send these out to their suppliers for repair?  Will it be difficult sourcing parts. 

On the other hand, will authorized panasonic/toshiba service centers accept gray market units?  Are there reliable 3rd party service centers around for flat panels? 

The only consolation I think that we have on this is since, there aren't much concerned with repairs just yet, maybe flat panels are sturdier than electronics of old.

Offline Windrider

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 21, 2009 at 07:23 PM »
As far as I know, Sony repairs units from gray area market. This was what happened to my Sony XBR 36" crt, which was bought from a gray area market. It is a 110v and 2x nang na plug in sa 220v. Since the warranty was already over,from the gray area market, I tried calling Sony Service Center if they service this kind of unit. They repaired it naman, and they repaired it 2x since 2x nga na plug in. Until now still working fine. So I guess it really depends on the brand of your unit and the kind of service that brand are giving out.

Offline dips15

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 21, 2009 at 07:59 PM »
Good to know.  Since the most popular TVs on this board are Panasonic, has anyone who has bought a gray market plasma/lcd from gray market sellers such as SnS had a chance to have their units serviced by Panasonic Philippines or any authorized service center?

I don't think any other brand, other than maybe Toshiba applies since Samsung, Sony and LG products being sold by our friendly resellers are all local market stocks. 
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2009 at 08:02 PM by dips15 »

Offline ivannn

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #5 on: Jul 21, 2009 at 11:53 PM »
pa explain naman para sa nakararami kung sino ang mga local distro and who are the gray market. para sa info ng lahat na lang din and for purposes of discussion.

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #6 on: Jul 22, 2009 at 07:25 AM »
grey units are serviced in-house.
but if they are in good terms with the local distro, i think they can pull a string or two, to have grey units repaired by authorized tech.
ninjababez online ..

Offline ment

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 22, 2009 at 09:47 AM »
As what I was told way before .... ang mga major appliances stores like Abenson, Automatic, etc... .. nag hahalo na ng grey imports na items :) so they can either earn more or afford to pull their prices down and still not affect their profit margin on the average.

its like out of 5 units on stock .....3 from official distributor, 2 from grey ......

Offline arvin.poker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: Jul 22, 2009 at 10:07 AM »
 ??? any feedback from SNS and THEATERWORKS re fixes on the gray units once the 1-year warrranty lapses?  ???

Offline dips15

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jul 22, 2009 at 10:13 AM »
??? any feedback from SNS and THEATERWORKS re fixes on the gray units once the 1-year warrranty lapses?  ???

As far as I know, SnS offers some kind of 3 year service.  The warranty is still 1 year though.  I'm not sure what they offer for the following 2 years.

As for Theaterworks, it seems as if their units are local panasonic units.  (not gray.)  I learned this from the other thread ranting about the warranty service of Panasonic Philippines for a unit purchased from Theaterworks.  Note rant is about service from Panasonic and not Theaterworks. 

Was wondering how Theaterworks can price local units that low. 

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jul 22, 2009 at 11:18 AM »

After the lapse of warranty, we assist our clients with our 3 year After Sales Assistance Program (ASAP). Benefit of the After-Sales Assistance Program includes: Quick Fix, 3 Year Delivery and Installation, Picture Perfect Calibration, and Technical Consultations via Telephone and On-site Technical Visits.

Under Quick Fix provision, we provide:

In the event that the TV needs to be pulled-out for service, Sights and Sounds will arrange to transport the TV to the nearest manufacturer’s repair shop.  Sights and Sounds shall also assist you in dismantling the TV from connected electronics, from wall hanged or from table setting.  Under the After-Sales Assistance Program, Sights and Sounds shall waive this transport and disassemble expenses in the amount of three thousand pesos (P 3, 000.00). 
      While your TV is on repair, Sights and Sounds shall provide you a service unit for your temporary use.  Under the After-Sales Assistance Program, Sights and Sounds shall waive this loan-out expense in the amount of five hundred pesos (P 500.00) per day.
       After repair, Sights and Sounds shall arrange to transport the TV from repair shop to your home.  Sights and Sounds shall also re-install your TV back in place.  Under After-Sales Assistance Program, Sights and Sounds shall waive this transport and re-installation expenses in the amount of four thousand pesos (P 4, 000.00).

Exclusions of the After-Sales Assistance Program
     1. The After-Sales Assistance Program will not be liable to provide any assistance that arises directly or indirectly from fraudulent acts by any member or any other person seeking services under the program.
     2. The After-Sales Assistance Program will not be liable for the cost of any repairs to the TV.

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
« Reply #11 on: Jul 22, 2009 at 11:29 AM »
After the lapse of warranty, we assist our clients with our 3 year After Sales Assistance Program (ASAP). Benefit of the After-Sales Assistance Program includes: Quick Fix, 3 Year Delivery and Installation, Picture Perfect Calibration, and Technical Consultations via Telephone and On-site Technical Visits.

In the event that the TV needs to be pulled-out for service, Sights and Sounds will arrange to transport the TV to the nearest manufacturer’s repair shop.  Sights and Sounds shall also assist you in dismantling the TV from connected electronics, from wall hanged or from table setting.  Under the After-Sales Assistance Program, Sights and Sounds shall waive this transport and disassemble expenses in the amount of three thousand pesos (P 3, 000.00). 
      While your TV is on repair, Sights and Sounds shall provide you a service unit for your temporary use.  Under the After-Sales Assistance Program, Sights and Sounds shall waive this loan-out expense in the amount of five hundred pesos (P 500.00) per day.
       After repair, Sights and Sounds shall arrange to transport the TV from repair shop to your home.  Sights and Sounds shall also re-install your TV back in place.  Under After-Sales Assistance Program, Sights and Sounds shall waive this transport and re-installation expenses in the amount of four thousand pesos (P 4, 000.00).

Exclusions of the After-Sales Assistance Program
     1. The After-Sales Assistance Program will not be liable to provide any assistance that arises directly or indirectly from fraudulent acts by any member or any other person seeking services under the program.
     2. The After-Sales Assistance Program will not be liable for the cost of any repairs to the TV.

That's what I call great service...

ABC

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jul 22, 2009 at 11:37 AM »

ABC

THANKS!

Offline dips15

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jul 22, 2009 at 11:38 AM »

In the event that the TV needs to be pulled-out for service, Sights and Sounds will arrange to transport the TV to the nearest manufacturer’s repair shop. 

Do we deal with the repair shop directly or would you do everything for us and just have us reimburse the cost?

Would you know if manufacturers would charge more or accept repair of gray market units?

Thanks.

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #14 on: Jul 22, 2009 at 11:40 AM »

ABC

Agree!

I've done so many deals with Victor (Sights and Sounds), and if I can compare him to a T.V, I'll say the he has crystal clear policies, deep black customer care services, wide viewing choices, and a blur free support.

It came to a point that, I don't care what Victor sells me, be it company stock or grey import, because I know he can support them without the troubles of a bureaucratic procedure.

Keep it up Vic ;)

« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2009 at 11:45 AM by Carlo777 »

Offline dips15

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jul 22, 2009 at 11:57 AM »

It came to a point that, I don't care what Victor sells me, be it company stock or grey import, because I know he can support them without the troubles of a bureaucratic procedure.

I think that's the most important thing we want to avoid. 

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #16 on: Jul 22, 2009 at 12:00 PM »
I think that's the most important thing we want to avoid. 

That's right. ;)

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jul 23, 2009 at 11:45 PM »
Do we deal with the repair shop directly or would you do everything for us and just have us reimburse the cost?

Would you know if manufacturers would charge more or accept repair of gray market units?

Thanks.

For out of warranty TV, we forward it to local manufacturer designated service center for repair. For transparancy of repair charges, we ask the customer to directly negotiate with the service center for whatever expenses incurred.  Our job is just to provide services that the Service Center won't bother to act or do, like transporting and re-installing of the TV.

Unless that there is really no spare parts available locally, all manufacturers will accept repair even of grey market units. The manufacturer will not turn down their valued client who bought and owned their products. Turning down the repair of grey market unit is like betraying his customer's trust and confidence. Instead of denying the customer's right for service, the manufacturing company will uphold to keep their brand image of reliability and dependabilty of after service, so that their valued clients will be protected.

Will manufacturers charge more for the repair of grey market unit? Well, the answer is yes, the maunfacturer will impose service and parts charges on goods that are not covered by local warranty. However, when goods are already lapsed with a supposed 1 year warranty, the manufacturer charges the same expense for grey market and locally purchase units.
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2009 at 11:48 PM by E-reply »

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #18 on: Jul 24, 2009 at 01:12 AM »
Will manufacturers charge more for the repair of grey market unit? Well, the answer is yes, the maunfacturer will impose service and parts charges on goods that are not covered by local warranty. However, when goods are already lapsed with a supposed 1 year warranty, the manufacturer charges the same expense for grey market and locally purchase units.
this answered some of my questions
thanks mang vic  ;)
ninjababez online ..

Offline dips15

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jul 24, 2009 at 06:57 AM »
For out of warranty TV, we forward it to local manufacturer designated service center for repair. For transparancy of repair charges, we ask the customer to directly negotiate with the service center for whatever expenses incurred.  Our job is just to provide services that the Service Center won't bother to act or do, like transporting and re-installing of the TV.

Unless that there is really no spare parts available locally, all manufacturers will accept repair even of grey market units. The manufacturer will not turn down their valued client who bought and owned their products. Turning down the repair of grey market unit is like betraying his customer's trust and confidence. Instead of denying the customer's right for service, the manufacturing company will uphold to keep their brand image of reliability and dependabilty of after service, so that their valued clients will be protected.

Thanks for the info.  The service and parts charges shouldn't really worry us if its still under warranty with our PDVD resellers.  After the lapse, same lang naman ang charges.

So since the difference would be in terms of in warranty service, gray market sellers may be the better option.
« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2009 at 06:58 AM by dips15 »