Author Topic: Superpro DAC 707 Owners: Please Read (if you are using a PC as source)  (Read 29181 times)

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 600
Wow 5A for a small DAC? Laki headroom hehehe.

Switching type pala ang powerbrick nya, parang sa mga notebook.

Offline bass_nut

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 71
yes sir  Stagea .. hefty external power supply... being external lessen possible noise source too kaya very nice implementation i must say  8)

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
Hehehe oo nga, sana filtered well para walang switching noise masyado.  Based sa mga positive reviews ng people here, most likely maganda nga.

Nacompare niyo na sir yung power brick versus a battery as power source? O kaya against a linear regulated power supply?

Offline bass_nut

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
hindi pa sir Stagea.. maybe i will try it with my spare 12v battery from my car  ;)

Offline geriboy

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
here's the scenario:
- i'm using my super pro DAC in my computer rig (desktop --> digital optical out --> super pro DAC --> amp --> HP). I use foobar to play mp3, flacs, cd. i also use ASIO4ALL plugin in foobar.
- if i'm viewing some videos from the internet (i.e. youtube, etc), walang lumalabas na sound when foobar is running. i need to close foobar first then "reload" the internet video para marinig ko ang sound ng video. why is this so?

Offline deuce

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
here's the scenario:
- i'm using my super pro DAC in my computer rig (desktop --> digital optical out --> super pro DAC --> amp --> HP). I use foobar to play mp3, flacs, cd. i also use ASIO4ALL plugin in foobar.
- if i'm viewing some videos from the internet (i.e. youtube, etc), walang lumalabas na sound when foobar is running. i need to close foobar first then "reload" the internet video para marinig ko ang sound ng video. why is this so?

My desktop is running Windows 7 and I use WASAPI with Foobar instead of ASIO4ALL. My audio setup is similar to yours: desktop --> digital optical out --> super pro DAC --> amp --> speakers.

However, I also have small Altec Lansing speakers on my desk connected to the analog output of my sound card. In this setup, I do not have to close Foobar and reload the internet video to hear its sound - but through the Altec Lansing, not my main speakers. In fact, if I wish to, I could have both Foobar music and Utube audio playing simultaneously through the two sets of speakers! I guess it's because Foobar bypasses the computer's default audio device to deliver raw, unprocessed audio stream to the DAC, while Utube/internet videos automatically look for the computer's default audio device.

I opted for this simple ruse instead of embarking on a lengthy troubleshooting because I watch a lot of international sports events through peer-to-peer software, and just the thought of attempting to funnel the sound output of TVAnts, Sopcast, UUsee, etc. to the optical out gives me a headache. :)

Offline geriboy

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
... I also have small Altec Lansing speakers on my desk connected to the analog output of my sound card. ...

... I guess it's because Foobar bypasses the computer's default audio device to deliver raw, unprocessed audio stream to the DAC, while Utube/internet videos automatically look for the computer's default audio device.

thanks for the inputs sir deuce! yup, we have the same setup po, may altec lansing rin ako na nakakabit sa analog-out ng sound card (realtek HD, built-in sa mobo). pero ang ginagawa ko, i select the sound card's digital out as my primary sound output (instead of analaog out) thru windows or realtek audio manager. so diba it would be logical that all audio will automatically go to realtek HD --> super pro DAC, whether from foobar siya or internet video?

at headphiles.org, some of the members also have the same situation using their USB DAC (ibasso D2 or D10). they mentioned that the DAC can decode just one source at a time.

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
hindi pa sir Stagea.. maybe i will try it with my spare 12v battery from my car  ;)

our trusty 2-meter regulated power supplies from the not so olden days should be a nice rig to try Doc...  ;)

Offline deuce

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
at headphiles.org, some of the members also have the same situation using their USB DAC (ibasso D2 or D10). they mentioned that the DAC can decode just one source at a time.

So it's a weakness of the DAC pala. What I did, when I found out I could not switch to my peer-to-peer program without first closing Foobar and restarting the software, was to revert the Windows default to speakers (analog out) while leaving Foobar to point to WASAPI in "Output." This enabled me to switch between the audio of the Foobar and that of the peer-to-peer program instantly or "on the fly," although on different speakers.

Downside is when I want to use the main speakers while watching a movie in VLC media player, I have to reset the default. Unlike Foobar, I cannot configure VLC to ignore the Windows default (when it's set to speaker) and feed from the optical out instead.

Offline geriboy

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
So it's a weakness of the DAC pala...
i'm sorry, maybe i misquoted them. what i meant was, the super pro DAC might not be able to decode one source at a time. I'm not really sure though. mahirap lang magbigay ng conclusion that external DACs cannot decode more than 1 source at a given time. I'll try to research on the internet and just observe our DAC for the meantime :)

Offline bass_nut

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:

our trusty 2-meter regulated power supplies from the not so olden days should be a nice rig to try Doc...  ;)

oo nga pala.. forgot that one Master J ..my senior moments strikes again  :D ;D

thanks for the remind  ;)

Offline romymartinez

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
I have compared the V-DAC with NAD and Cambridge players. With the same quality source (16-bit 44kHz), the 340C and the C515BEE edge out the VDAC in terms of detail. The C515BEE has a more expansive stage, but the 340C has a deeper stage... the V-DAC is somewhere in between. The V-DAC has a warm relaxed sound, but does not have the low or high end extension of either CD player.

Running studio master recordings (24-bit 96kHz and 24-bit 192kHz) versus CDs, the V-DAC clearly beats either player (340C and C515BEE) in terms of smoothness, insight and inner detail. In short, if you have a good source, it can sound better... but with the same CD quality source, it's about even.

Running them side by side, the V-DAC does not remotely approach the 740A or the 840A in terms of layering, speed, sharpness of attack, pinpoint imaging, and sound stage stability. Then again, we're comparing it with a CDP 6x its price.

Nice review Sir!

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
Nice review Sir!

Thanks. Imho, Decent CD players generally have good stuff inside, and it's quite hard to improve on them with just an external DAC. The addition can change the sound (which can sometimes improve synergy in a poorly matched system), but it might take far more money to get a realistic gain from such an upgrade.

I had the V-DAC for some time and tried my best to like it. I did some power supply upgrades to see if it can dramatically change the output. The improvements were slight (mostly in smoothness), so I was still left looking for that sharp leading edge of notes and a natural decay. I did like the V-DAC's body and subtleness on the other hand. It was a very soothing sound, which can be great with vocals.

The DACMagic would've probably suited my preference better, but Avesco / 5th Ave is no longer stocking them. I'm quite happy that I went with the 740 and 840 sets. My only regret is that I failed to explore some products from Roksan and Arcam before I took the plunge.

Offline romymartinez

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Here's my mini-review of the Super Pro DAC on a full audio set-up:

Source/Transport - Harman Kardon HD970 (AD1955, OP275, OPA2134)
                             Yamaha CDX-596 (AD1854, NE5532)
Preamp - Pioneer C-21
Poweramp - Virute Audio One
Speaker - Celestion 3000 (with ribbon driver and 8" woofer crossed at 800hz)
Subwoofer - M&K V-90 (12-inch)
Speaker wires, IC - DIYed Belden wires/cables

Compared to the Yamaha CDX-596 internal DAC, the Super ro wins hands down.
Compared to the Harman Kardon HD970 internal DAC, though they sound somewhat different, I can't decide which one is better. I guess it's a tie.

Conclusion: At Php 5.5K the Super Pro DAC is a steal!  ;D

(As a side note, I guess I'll bring the Yamaha CDP to a techie to upgrade the opamps to something better)
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2010 at 03:34 PM by romymartinez »

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:

The DACMagic would've probably suited my preference better, but Avesco / 5th Ave is no longer stocking them. I'm quite happy that I went with the 740 and 840 sets. My only regret is that I failed to explore some products from Roksan and Arcam before I took the plunge.

Just an update, 5th Ave. got DacMagic stocks last month. I'm not sure if they still have a lot though. It could be a useful upgrade to those who want multiple inputs, balanced outputs, or upconversion at a sub-20k price point.

@romymartinez
Congrats with the upgrade sir. Keep us posted about the opamp rolling.
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2010 at 09:24 AM by Stagea »

Offline s2kov

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
May i ask how much is Superpro DAC 707?

Saan available?

Offline romymartinez

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
May i ask how much is Superpro DAC 707?

Saan available?

Hi Sir,

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=81065.0

Hope that helps.

Offline Arulco

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 688
Just an update, 5th Ave. got DacMagic stocks last month. I'm not sure if they still have a lot though. It could be a useful upgrade to those who want multiple inputs, balanced outputs, or upconversion at a sub-20k price point.

Para di OT:

PM sent RE: CA DacMagic

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
(As a side note, I guess I'll bring the Yamaha CDP to a techie to upgrade the opamps to something better)

Sir you can first have the muting transistors and series resistors removed so that output op-amp connects directly to the RCA output. And then, just put a 3.3Kohm resistor or 4.7Kohm resistor from RCA out to ground.

Many CDPs have 100Kohm output loads at the op-amp and this is quite far from the typical datasheet specifications which specify resistive loads <= 10Kohm. By putting a 3.3Kohm or 4.7Kohm from RCA out to ground, you will enable the op-amp to operate within its datasheet specifications or at its optimum level.

Based on experience, you should have a "cleaner" and "clearer" sounding CDP at a fraction of the cost of an op-amp.
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2010 at 05:11 PM by rascal101 »

Offline romymartinez

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Sir you can first have the muting transistors and series resistors removed so that output op-amp connects directly to the RCA output. And then, just put a 3.3Kohm resistor or 4.7Kohm resistor from RCA out to ground.

Many CDPs have 100Kohm output loads at the op-amp and this is quite far from the typical datasheet specifications which specify resistive loads <= 10Kohm. By putting a 3.3Kohm or 4.7Kohm from RCA out to ground, you will enable the op-amp to operate within its datasheet specifications or at its optimum level.

Based on experience, you should have a "cleaner" and "clearer" sounding CDP at a fraction of the cost of an op-amp.

Hi Sir Mel,

Thanks for the tip. Will tray that out.  ;D

Offline s2kov

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:

Offline allan1836

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Baka pwedeng buhayin itong thread mga sir.  ;D Is this outboard dac still competitve for its price range? I'm looking for a budget dac to improve the sound quality of dvdp for use in pure audio set up sana. Any other affordable dac recommendations out there? Tnx guys.  :)

Offline kemozavi

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • DVD Addict
  • www.soundsolutionsph.com
  • Liked:
anyone tried comparing the super pro dac 707 to the Maverick Audio TUbe Magic? I'm currently using the Maverick Audio DAC, and i'm just wondering how it compares... that 5.5k price tag is just tempting. :)

Offline Pajd

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
anyone tried comparing the super pro dac 707 to the Maverick Audio TUbe Magic? I'm currently using the Maverick Audio DAC, and i'm just wondering how it compares... that 5.5k price tag is just tempting. :)
+1

Offline stockHT

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
up natin, also looking for a seller.

first time to use DAC, setup would be:
Source (ipod, psp, NMT)

to

DAC

to

old pioneer receiver

to speakers
Blog and Vlog

http://tinyurl.com/YNTV-Vlog

VinylGrimes

Offline Euphony101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:

Using separate DAC units  seems to be one of the best way to enjoy digital music.

I hope more will share their experiences with their own DAC,
so that others may have a place to start with.

Thanks....

Offline barricades

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
sorry for reviviing this thread, being a newbie i own a super dac pro 707 before but i let it go because i find it same SQ with my m34a nmt or baka sa material that i played lang kaya hindi ko na appreciate.

i'd like to ask how is this differ to super pro http://www.headfonia.com/the-upgrade-fiio-e17-alpen/?

many thanks.

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
i'd choose the wolfson with cool oled and headphone amp over the other basic cirrus dac.

Offline ash0279

• Collector
  • 1s = 1k
  • Liked:
guys, has anyone used this DAC 707 over Macbook laptops already? per web search, should be working fine, but just need concrete confirmation specially the USB Out if its plug and play. thanks very much.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
guys, has anyone used this DAC 707 over Macbook laptops already? per web search, should be working fine, but just need concrete confirmation specially the USB Out if its plug and play. thanks very much.

I  have not tried it, but it should work as it's using a CM108 USB I/O. That's a USB Audio Device Class Spec v1.0 component that's commonly used on USB headphones and the like.

I guess you can try it before buying, just to be sure.
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2012 at 05:03 AM by Stagea »