Author Topic: how to start with a good home theatre system?  (Read 14166 times)

Offline comitatus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: how to start with a good home theatre system?
« Reply #30 on: Aug 20, 2009 at 02:44 PM »
Awwwww...pamahal ng pamahal :( lol

the 100 inch projector screen is over kill for dance/exercise videos, since that would be the main purpose...thumping sound may take priority...para naman mas feel di ba? :D

for viewing naman we have a 40 inch sammy lcd sa game room and a 42 inch plasma sa bedroom...

Hahaha! For this size of a room, kelangan ng projector and a 100" screen minimum!  ;D ;D ;D

Panasonic AE-2000 projector + screen .. maybe P140k.

Maybe an Onkyo 875 AVR or Denon 2809 + a good set of 5 speakers (marami naman maka-suggest) .. maybe P120k.

Finally an SVS sub .. another P40k - P80k.

May seem a little expensive but it will be worth it.  ;D

ang mahal naman po...i'd have to work like a horse to pay for something like that :)
Panny 50C10 and Sammy 40A650

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Aug 20, 2009 at 02:53 PM »
Awwwww...pamahal ng pamahal :( lol

the 100 inch projector screen is over kill for dance/exercise videos, since that would be the main purpose...thumping sound may take priority...para naman mas feel di ba? :D

for viewing naman we have a 40 inch sammy lcd sa game room and a 42 inch plasma sa bedroom...

ang mahal naman po...i'd have to work like a horse to pay for something like that :)

100" is not big for a 40 square meter room! Maliit nga!

If you lower the specs, get a cheaper projector. Maybe Benq 500 or a lower-end Panasonic. With screen, mga P70k.

Get a cheaper AVR, maybe a Denon 1909 + Wharfedales, maybe P70k.

And then get a big subwoofer!  ;D ;D Maybe P80k.

Getting cheaper na.  ;D ;D
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #32 on: Aug 20, 2009 at 02:55 PM »
100" is not big for a 40 square meter room! Maliit nga!

If you lower the specs, get a cheaper projector. Maybe Benq 500 or a lower-end Panasonic. With screen, mga P70k.

Get a cheaper AVR, maybe a Denon 1909 + Wharfedales, maybe P70k.

And then get a big subwoofer!  ;D ;D Maybe P80k.

Getting cheaper na.  ;D ;D

baka pwede na yung 12 nsd na svs, diba less than 50k lang yun?

getting cheaper nanaman.

Offline comitatus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Aug 20, 2009 at 04:19 PM »
no one is recommending an HTIB ata^ something wrong with them? ;)

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Aug 20, 2009 at 04:40 PM »
Yes, they sound terrible!  :D

The HTiB manufactuer's objective is to build a low-cost multi-channel system.  The design philosophy is to use a very low-powered amplifier and matching low-capacity speakers to cut down costs, then make up for the inadequacies by tweaking the sound to emphasize the frequencies most audible to the average ear.

What you get is inaccurate sound that easily distorts with even moderate volume levels.

What you want is a sound output that accurately reproduces the source.  That's why they call it "hi-fi", or "high fidelity", because the output should have "fidelity" (or "loyalty") to the source material.

An HTiB might be OK for a very small room, but for a room size as big as that, an HTiB is out of the question.  It's going to be a waste of money.

=================================

Your exercise room is so big that setting up a good home theater sound system there would cost too much, since the amplification power requirement will be too high.

For that exercise/dance room, just get a 2-channel amplifier and 2 speakers for your exercise/dance music.  Hook up your TV to the sound system to improve your TV's sound.

Then you can later choose another room (a more modestly-sized one, around 20 sq. m. more or less), for a multi-channel home theater set-up.

« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2009 at 05:31 PM by barrister »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Aug 20, 2009 at 05:10 PM »
The Yamaha 765 would match well with this.

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/product/av/prd/speaker/series/325-sys/index.html

Pede rin 525 series if you want to up the budget.

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #36 on: Aug 20, 2009 at 05:15 PM »
no one is recommending an HTIB ata^ something wrong with them? ;)

wag po, wag po!!! baka kung may galit ang isang tao sa iyo, htib ang irekomenda ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2009 at 05:24 PM by ojof00l »

Offline comitatus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Aug 20, 2009 at 05:43 PM »
Yes, they sound terrible!  :D

The HTiB manufactuer's objective is to build a low-cost multi-channel system.  The design philosophy is to use a very low-powered amplifier and matching low-capacity speakers to cut down costs, then make up for the inadequacies by tweaking the sound to emphasize the frequencies most audible to the average ear.

What you get is inaccurate sound that easily distorts with even moderate volume levels.

What you want is a sound output that accurately reproduces the source.  That's why they call it "hi-fi", or "high fidelity", because the output should have "fidelity" (or "loyalty") to the source material.

An HTiB might be OK for a very small room, but for a room size as big as that, an HTiB is out of the question.  It's going to be a waste of money.

=================================

Your exercise room is so big that setting up a good home theater sound system there would cost too much, since the amplification power requirement will be too high.

For that exercise/dance room, just get a 2-channel amplifier and 2 speakers for your exercise/dance music.  Hook up your TV to the sound system to improve your TV's sound.

Then you can later choose another room (a more modestly-sized one, around 20 sq. m. more or less), for a multi-channel home theater set-up.

that's the only room i'm allowed to use or hook up a sound system :(

wag po, wag po!!! baka kung may galit ang isang tao sa iyo, htib ang irekomenda ;D

are htib's really that bad?

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Aug 20, 2009 at 05:46 PM »

For that exercise/dance room, just get a 2-channel amplifier and 2 speakers for your exercise/dance music.  Hook up your TV to the sound system to improve your TV's sound.

I would still suggest a 7.1ch Yamaha like the 765 or equivalent, and set it to 7-channel stereo kung gustong sumayaw ni Yuriko.   The room size is really an issue (in terms of limiting the budget to within 100K) but I'd still suggest that she starts with a good multi-channel AVR.

Offline comitatus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Aug 20, 2009 at 05:56 PM »
I would still suggest a 7.1ch Yamaha like the 765 or equivalent, and set it to 7-channel stereo kung gustong sumayaw ni Yuriko.   The room size is really an issue (in terms of limiting the budget to within 100K) but I'd still suggest that she starts with a good multi-channel AVR.

what's a multi-channel AVR? sorry for the dumb question but...

may dif ba talaga ang 5.1 channel, sa 7.1? meaning can you really discern the difference?

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #40 on: Aug 20, 2009 at 06:02 PM »
Some online guides:

How To Choose, Set Up and Use a Home Theater
http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/hometheater/home-theater.php

How to Set Up a Home Theater (Summary Instruction)
http://www.ehow.com/how_2050835_set-up-home-theater.html

Streetsmart, any cheaper range pa proposal mo?  ;D

Offline comitatus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Aug 20, 2009 at 06:10 PM »
Some online guides:

How To Choose, Set Up and Use a Home Theater
http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/hometheater/home-theater.php

How to Set Up a Home Theater (Summary Instruction)
http://www.ehow.com/how_2050835_set-up-home-theater.html

Streetsmart, any cheaper range pa proposal mo?  ;D

thanks, i'll also read up on that=) is that max (the guy from macross/robotech) on your avatar?

@everybody

would a dedicated audio set-up be cheaper than a home theatre?

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Aug 20, 2009 at 06:19 PM »

what's a multi-channel AVR? sorry for the dumb question but...

may dif ba talaga ang 5.1 channel, sa 7.1? meaning can you really discern the difference?

Ano nga ba ang meaning? hehehe.. Basta when I first bought a "multi-channel" Yamaha HT in 1998, it was 5.1ch - 2 fronts, 2 surrounds, 1 center and 1 sub.

SAPAT na ang 5.1 channel for most people.  Kase, please correct me if Im wrong, yung additional 2 channels naman ay for surround sa likod.  Pero if you have a 7.1 AVR with 7-stereo program for your dancing, e di mas mas maganda kung 7 discrete channels ang output.

Still, 40sqm is quite spacious for a system that is not expensive and powerful.  Why dont you install a wall and create 2 x 20sqm rooms - that's the size of my bedroom and oks na yung hindi masyadong mahal na system - as in nagagalit na yung anak ko sa lakas dahil nabubulahaw sya sa bedroom nya.   ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2009 at 06:26 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #43 on: Aug 20, 2009 at 06:52 PM »
is that max (the guy from macross/robotech) on your avatar?

Yup...bull's eye!  ;)

Offline comitatus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Aug 20, 2009 at 07:09 PM »
Yup...bull's eye!  ;)

cute=) but i prefer roy focker hahaha

Ano nga ba ang meaning? hehehe.. Basta when I first bought a "multi-channel" Yamaha HT in 1998, it was 5.1ch - 2 fronts, 2 surrounds, 1 center and 1 sub.

SAPAT na ang 5.1 channel for most people.  Kase, please correct me if Im wrong, yung additional 2 channels naman ay for surround sa likod.  Pero if you have a 7.1 AVR with 7-stereo program for your dancing, e di mas mas maganda kung 7 discrete channels ang output.

Still, 40sqm is quite spacious for a system that is not expensive and powerful.  Why dont you install a wall and create 2 x 20sqm rooms - that's the size of my bedroom and oks na yung hindi masyadong mahal na system - as in nagagalit na yung anak ko sa lakas dahil nabubulahaw sya sa bedroom nya.   ;D

let's say you're stuck with a 60k budget, how far could that go?

thanks.
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2009 at 07:10 PM by comitatus »

Offline CMac

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #45 on: Aug 20, 2009 at 07:28 PM »
cute=) but i prefer roy focker hahaha

thanks.

an all wharfe or polk setup with an entry level receiver. sub pwedeng mga jamo type or second hand sa marketplace (so far parang wala ata akong nakitang nice cheap subs posted sa marketplace).

30k - 5 speaker setup
10k - sub
20k - receiver

60k is no small amount kaya matututwa ka na rin jan. just not sure kung enough na sa big room.
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2009 at 07:31 PM by Pig_Freak »

Offline Invinciible

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Aug 20, 2009 at 08:49 PM »
it's still all relative.  htib's sound "good" in very very small rooms and only until you experience a real 5.1 and 7.1 system. ;D  as a newbie awhile back, i was totally awed by the wonder of discreet channels when watching "the incredible hulk"'s "helicopter" scene with my samsung htz210 htib...  and then i got to experience the same scene at my bestfriend's house when he had just installed his denon 1909- wharfedale 9.1 - 9cs - dfs and sub setup... my htib started sounding not as nice from that point onwards...

5.1 is still the standard that is safest to start with considering most if not all dvd's with dolby and dts are encoded up to 5 channels only.  most receivers have algorythms that can turn a 5.1 signal into a 7.1, but most true 7.1 signals come from blurays with dts-hd and dolby true hd.  also, most setups have a room that makes a 7.1 system unnecessary, as the rear surrounds are too close together rendering the rear left and right almost useless.  HOWEVER, with a room at 40sqm, it has the potential to make the most of a 7.1 system considering its space...   ;D

If, aside from fighting games, you like playing FPS games on your PS3,  a 5.1 or 7.1 ht system is a very very cool and useful experience...  the first time i played COD4 online with my ht system, and someone shot at my character from his rear left, and i heard the shot from MY rear left, it made me smile quite a bit. :D

Just don't go into it blind.  Audition as many systems as you like, to give you an idea of what you want.  Just take into consideration that there will be wires involved in this 90percent of the time, so planning for that is, i would believe, also a priority.  

And I'm just throwing this out there.  You could also commission anthony/diy_master to handle the speakers.  that would most probably lower your budget considerably without losing quality. i'm also sure mike c, avshop, SnS and/or Nemesis could cut you great deals if DIY speakers aren't your thing...

I have a 7.1 system, i use it for my HT, ps3 play, stereo music for jazz, classical, etc., and all 7channels for trance, house, sometimes RnB... 

And Roy Focker rules!  
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2009 at 08:56 PM by Invinciible »
There's only one way to find out right?

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #47 on: Aug 20, 2009 at 09:23 PM »
kung gusto mo isang power-on switch at isang remote control......hmmmm....htib ;D

quite common sa mga babae ayaw daming kalat pindot settings etc di ba? kung pwede plugnplay na lang saksak dvd/bluray/cd play sa remote, sit back relax enjoy di ba?

but if youre after sound quality and movietheatre experience...go for separates ::)

dami naman dito willing and able na tulungan ka magsetup. im sure di naman mahal TF mga taga-pdvd

« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2009 at 09:26 PM by ojof00l »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Aug 20, 2009 at 11:10 PM »

Yuriko-chan you might end up upgrading too soon after spending 60K, so your starting point should be mid-range system.   

Thus, kindly consider getting the award winning, bestselling and highly rated Yamaha 765 (referring to Japanese market ne - I dont know about the rest of the world)  and then consult with Carlo to "adjust" your budget in order to get a well matching set of speakers (sell one of your excess Plasmas  ;D);  5.1 channel will suffice.

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Aug 21, 2009 at 12:22 AM »
thank you sir...medyo dumb question but what do you mean by..."some sound laid back, some neutral, some a bit forward"

though carlo777 frequents av shops, he also does not know these things...and remains uninterested in any form of audio enhancements and almost most music or sound related stuff in-general :)

I don't exactly know how to describe it but if you visit sights and sounds, I think you would get a better grasp of the terms.

Personally, I would say:

Wharfedale = laid back
Polk Audio/Infinity = neutral
Klipsch = forward/bright

It's really hard to buy something that other people merely suggest when it comes to speakers. You definitely have to do some listening work by auditioning them with your own ears. I auditioned Wharfedale but totally did not like it, but it's evident that many other PDVDers like the Wharfedale sound.

Offline comitatus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Aug 21, 2009 at 12:24 AM »
@Clondalkin

Yuriko-chan... kindly consider getting the award winning, bestselling and highly rated Yamaha 765 (referring to Japanese market ne - I dont know about the rest of the world)  and then consult with Carlo to "adjust" your budget in order to get a well matching set of speakers (sell one of your excess Plasmas  ;D);  5.1 channel will suffice.

ok sempai! how does...hmm...70k sound? ok na ba yun? what's a good round budget for a "mid-range" system? i'm shocked na mas mahal pala ang audio over video :o

dami naman dito willing and able na tulungan ka magsetup. im sure di naman mahal TF mga taga-pdvd

how much kaya on the average? hoping murang lang talaga...a clean install sana but baka mahal :(

it's still all relative.  htib's sound "good" in very very small rooms and only until you experience a real 5.1 and 7.1 system. ;D  as a newbie awhile back, i was totally awed by the wonder of discreet channels when watching "the incredible hulk"'s "helicopter" scene with my samsung htz210 htib...  and then i got to experience the same scene at my bestfriend's house when he had just installed his denon 1909- wharfedale 9.1 - 9cs - dfs and sub setup... my htib started sounding not as nice from that point onwards...

5.1 is still the standard that is safest to start with considering most if not all dvd's with dolby and dts are encoded up to 5 channels only.  most receivers have algorythms that can turn a 5.1 signal into a 7.1, but most true 7.1 signals come from blurays with dts-hd and dolby true hd.  also, most setups have a room that makes a 7.1 system unnecessary, as the rear surrounds are too close together rendering the rear left and right almost useless.  HOWEVER, with a room at 40sqm, it has the potential to make the most of a 7.1 system considering its space...   ;D

If, aside from fighting games, you like playing FPS games on your PS3,  a 5.1 or 7.1 ht system is a very very cool and useful experience...  the first time i played COD4 online with my ht system, and someone shot at my character from his rear left, and i heard the shot from MY rear left, it made me smile quite a bit. :D

Just don't go into it blind.  Audition as many systems as you like, to give you an idea of what you want.  Just take into consideration that there will be wires involved in this 90percent of the time, so planning for that is, i would believe, also a priority. 

And I'm just throwing this out there.  You could also commission anthony/diy_master to handle the speakers.  that would most probably lower your budget considerably without losing quality. i'm also sure mike c, avshop, SnS and/or Nemesis could cut you great deals if DIY speakers aren't your thing...

I have a 7.1 system, i use it for my HT, ps3 play, stereo music for jazz, classical, etc., and all 7channels for trance, house, sometimes RnB... 

And Roy Focker rules! 

You betcha!!! glad i can talk anime here without peeps giving me the weird look ;)

can you give me a run down of your system, who installed it and how much it cost?

thanks.

Offline comitatus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Aug 21, 2009 at 12:27 AM »
I don't exactly know how to describe it but if you visit sights and sounds, I think you would get a better grasp of the terms.

Personally, I would say:

Wharfedale = laid back
Polk Audio/Infinity = neutral
Klipsch = forward/bright

It's really hard to buy something that other people merely suggest when it comes to speakers. You definitely have to do some listening work by auditioning them with your own ears. I auditioned Wharfedale but totally did not like it, but it's evident that many other PDVDers like the Wharfedale sound.

sir, could you give me an honest opinion why you did not like the wharfedale?

thanks.

Offline Invinciible

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Aug 21, 2009 at 12:52 AM »
oh getting the flat screen is just the beginning. ;)  it's usually in the audio that fun (expense) really begins. ;D

i have a harman kardon 255... got it for 30-plus K last year from avshop

just recently upgraded to a 7 channel A Audio gen2 velodyne tweeter set c/o Anthony aka diy_master. 

a pair of floorstanders  - 14k
center speaker           -  8k
2 pairs of bookshelves  - 6k/pair

Currently using a Boston RS12 car sub driver enclosed in a Halimaw box c/o Anthony and macdon, powered by a pilyo sub amp and controlled by a jdlabs bass processor. (please note that this is a slightly more complicated way of having a sub.  you could always get one that has an integrated plate amp so you could just plug it into the receiver.  most commercial subs are of the latter kind)

Boston RS12 - 3k
Halimaw box -  7k
Pilyo amp     -  3.5k brand new from sir pilyo if i am not mistaken

Most of the installation i did myself with the help of my driver and my carpenter whenever they were available.  Most of my furniture and treatment i had custom made/DIY...  with regards to the wiring i had mine routed through the ceiling so they would be less obvious...  i of course had someone else go up into the ceiling for this. ;D

with regards to my media players i am pretty sure you already have that so i won't go into it anymore...

some pics for reference...

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=97539.msg1019505#msg1019505
http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=97539.msg1043037#msg1043037
http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=97539.msg1043961#msg1043961

it's the same thread but i just noted the posts where i have pics of my previous and current setup.

roy focker is anime's han solo...  :D

Offline comitatus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Aug 21, 2009 at 01:08 AM »
oh getting the flat screen is just the beginning. ;)  it's usually in the audio that fun (expense) really begins. ;D

i have a harman kardon 255... got it for 30-plus K last year from avshop

just recently upgraded to a 7 channel A Audio gen2 velodyne tweeter set c/o Anthony aka diy_master. 

a pair of floorstanders  - 14k
center speaker           -  8k
2 pairs of bookshelves  - 6k/pair

Currently using a Boston RS12 car sub driver enclosed in a Halimaw box c/o Anthony and macdon, powered by a pilyo sub amp and controlled by a jdlabs bass processor. (please note that this is a slightly more complicated way of having a sub.  you could always get one that has an integrated plate amp so you could just plug it into the receiver.  most commercial subs are of the latter kind)

Boston RS12 - 3k
Halimaw box -  7k
Pilyo amp     -  3.5k brand new from sir pilyo if i am not mistaken

Most of the installation i did myself with the help of my driver and my carpenter whenever they were available.  Most of my furniture and treatment i had custom made/DIY...  with regards to the wiring i had mine routed through the ceiling so they would be less obvious...  i of course had someone else go up into the ceiling for this. ;D

with regards to my media players i am pretty sure you already have that so i won't go into it anymore...

some pics for reference...

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=97539.msg1043037#msg1043037
http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=97539.msg1043961#msg1043961

it's the same thread but i just noted the posts where i have pics of my previous and current setup.

roy focker is anime's han solo...  :D

saw your posts and pics, and they're very nice, so how much was everything again? don't include the players, sources and the game console.

oh and i'm with work friends now, and we really think you may want to re-word your post with the "over-all experience of my bedroom" statement found on this thread:

:) :D ;)

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Aug 21, 2009 at 01:24 AM »
sir, could you give me an honest opinion why you did not like the wharfedale?

thanks.

I felt like the sound was being trapped in a cave or something similar to that. ;D

Offline comitatus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Aug 21, 2009 at 01:28 AM »
I felt like the sound was being trapped in a cave or something similar to that. ;D

now that's a very nice way to descibe it, thank you very much sir! i'll make a mental note of that.

;)

Offline Invinciible

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Aug 21, 2009 at 01:37 AM »
saw your posts and pics, and they're very nice, so how much was everything again? don't include the players, sources and the game console.

oh and i'm with work friends now, and we really think you may want to re-word your post with the "over-all experience of my bedroom" statement found on this thread:

:) :D ;)

duly noted  ;D

i actually share sir blued888's opinion of the wharfedale line but a lot of people like them...  i really suggest you try out as many receivers and speakers as you need so you can get a good idea of what you want. 

Offline CMac

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #57 on: Aug 21, 2009 at 01:57 AM »
Most members have no dedicated audio setup, therefore they try to get brands that can be great for both music and HT. Usually musical speakers would cost a bit more. that's why DIY's like A Audio speakers are a breath of fresh air to most audiophiles who have been in this hobby for quite a long time. But most branded speakers are enough to give you involving HT sound IMO.

Since I also believe that you have no intention of making this a hobby, i recommend that you get a decent system that's within your budget. just make sure it has enough power and will not distort if you plan to crank up the volume to fill up your space.

Offline comitatus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Aug 21, 2009 at 02:02 AM »
Most members have no dedicated audio setup, therefore they try to get brands that can be great for both music and HT. Usually musical speakers would cost a bit more. that's why DIY's like A Audio speakers are a breath of fresh air to most audiophiles who have been in this hobby for quite a long time. But most branded speakers are enough to give you involving HT sound IMO.

Since I also believe that you have no intention of making this a hobby, i recommend that you get a decent system that's within your budget. just make sure it has enough power and will not distort if you plan to crank up the volume to fill up your space.

oh please, i really hope so...this should be a one time purchase only.

thank you for the advise ;)

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Aug 21, 2009 at 09:46 AM »
I auditioned Wharfedale but totally did not like it ...

Sir, what receiver was paired with the Wharfedale during the audition?