Author Topic: Would you risk buying your unit from the US  (Read 1979 times)

Offline gameboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Would you risk buying your unit from the US
« on: Aug 20, 2009 at 10:09 AM »
People,

If given the chance to buy a unit from US and save more than  30% compared to the price here locally, will you go for it?

Need your advice and opinions. Thanks.

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: Would you risk buying your unit from the US
« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2009 at 10:36 AM »
Personally I wouldn't.  Aside from warranty issues, customs taxes would negate the savings you get.  Baka nga lugi ka pa.

Offline gameboy

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2009 at 10:50 AM »
Thanks for the feedback dvd_freak. the savings of 30% is already net of everything. As for the warranty that is the main issue for me also but isn't it after a yearloacl and imported are all in the same level?

Offline Lancito

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2009 at 10:57 AM »
For other items such as receiver, speakers, etc...yes.  But for display panels, maybe not.  This is the same reason locally available displays are 30% more expensive.  It gives you warranty and spares you from the headache of faulty equipment.

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 20, 2009 at 10:58 AM »
Do local service centers service 110v display panels?

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Aug 20, 2009 at 11:09 AM »
Thanks for the feedback dvd_freak. the savings of 30% is already net of everything. As for the warranty that is the main issue for me also but isn't it after a yearloacl and imported are all in the same level?

I would still not risk it.  One can never know baka lemon yun unit na makuha mo.  First month, second month baka ok....tapos it might conk out on the 11th month.  One year of warranty can really make a world of difference.

Offline eksi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2009 at 06:34 PM »
the 30% savings is very attractive, you must consider the credibility of the seller before taking the risk.
i'm quite a risk taker, i bought a plasma tv delivered here from the U.S. at less than almost 40% than the price of the local model (with less than a year warranty). i just hold on to my brother-in-law vouching for the condition of the unit and the credibility/reliability of the importer. im very happy with the transaction and enjoying the plasma tv, which btw have more features than the local counterpart. actually im waiting for future imports for possible upgrades ;)

Offline Windrider

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Aug 21, 2009 at 09:06 PM »
Sir eksi, how did your brother-in law send it here in the Philippines? did he do it door to door? and from what store po in the US did he buy?can I ask po how much inabot ang shipment? Pasensiya na po, daming tanong.

Offline gameboy

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Aug 22, 2009 at 01:40 PM »
the 30% savings is very attractive, you must consider the credibility of the seller before taking the risk.
i'm quite a risk taker, i bought a plasma tv delivered here from the U.S. at less than almost 40% than the price of the local model (with less than a year warranty). i just hold on to my brother-in-law vouching for the condition of the unit and the credibility/reliability of the importer. im very happy with the transaction and enjoying the plasma tv, which btw have more features than the local counterpart. actually im waiting for future imports for possible upgrades ;)

Yup, I did. I am thinking of buying from Amazon. As for the importer, he is very credible. Ang concern ko lang is for the warranty. If in a worst case scenario na may problem ang unit. Will the service center here accept the unit for repair. Anyway, may 30K budget naman ako for repair hehehhee.

Thanks for those who replied to this thread. Your opinions are very important on how will I decide. Thanks again.

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Aug 23, 2009 at 05:49 PM »
Sir eksi, how did your brother-in law send it here in the Philippines? did he do it door to door? and from what store po in the US did he buy?can I ask po how much inabot ang shipment? Pasensiya na po, daming tanong.

bro his bigtime boss imports it here and sell to his compadres
all items imported from costco US
don't have any idea in the shipment cost, i just settled all-in price

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Aug 23, 2009 at 05:54 PM »
Yup, I did. I am thinking of buying from Amazon. As for the importer, he is very credible. Ang concern ko lang is for the warranty. If in a worst case scenario na may problem ang unit. Will the service center here accept the unit for repair. Anyway, may 30K budget naman ako for repair hehehhee.

Thanks for those who replied to this thread. Your opinions are very important on how will I decide. Thanks again.

the service centers will accept either for free or for a fee, clear nyo nalang with seller about the warranty. good luck to your buy bro :)

Offline TOY 01

• Trade Count: (+323)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #11 on: Aug 23, 2009 at 06:43 PM »

Bro malamang gagawin nila yan  kaso meron bayad. Pero Kung sa u.s tapos sa costco babalik yun pera mo alam ko kasi meron sila lifetime warranty. Dyan kasi bumili ang brother ko ng Sony 52" ng nasira binalik yun full amount tapos bumili na lang siya uli ng latest model.
Allan 0917-8975003 (Please indicate username)

Offline T33K0Y

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #12 on: Aug 23, 2009 at 08:44 PM »
Bro malamang gagawin nila yan  kaso meron bayad. Pero Kung sa u.s tapos sa costco babalik yun pera mo alam ko kasi meron sila lifetime warranty. Dyan kasi bumili ang brother ko ng Sony 52" ng nasira binalik yun full amount tapos bumili na lang siya uli ng latest model.

hayun... lifetime warranty naman pala e... pwede na...

bili na sa costco very good deal na yun..  ;D

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Aug 24, 2009 at 08:27 AM »
Question lang Bros.  Does JAC handle shipping of items as big as these 50V-65V plasmas, all inclusive (of importation duties, customs formalities, etc)?  Anyone tried that before? 

Thanks!

Offline TOY 01

• Trade Count: (+323)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #14 on: Aug 24, 2009 at 09:37 AM »
hayun... lifetime warranty naman pala e... pwede na...

bili na sa costco very good deal na yun..  ;D

Problema mo na lang kung paano mo babalik yun unit mo sa costco  sa u.s sigurado mas mahal pa shipping kesa bumili ka ng bago. ;D ;D  Sir parang mas ok kung bilin na size sa u.s 50" up medyo dikit na din kasi yun price ng mga 42" na full HD.   Best buy na ba yun ganito na model sa price range na 65t to 70t landed na.  :D Ito kasi yun plano ko sunod na upgrade..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001W6NU9E/

Tsaka autovolt po ba yun mga labas ngayon na LCD/Plasma sa u.s?
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2009 at 09:43 AM by TOY 01 »
Allan 0917-8975003 (Please indicate username)

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Aug 24, 2009 at 10:19 AM »
I bought my Flat panel displays from the US care of my brother also . It's really a risk but the first thing needed is for unit to be opened and checked , due to a lot of broken display even during shipment w/in the US.

The 1st unit I got abroad was because my brother offered to join an auction in my behalf and test/ship the unit before shipping.

The 2nd one was a newer model and the online store offered 12 months 0 interest .

Just to let you know the risk involved , my 1st unit had a small crack in the bezel , as it was shipped w/ some of the packing material damaged during the first time it was unpacked and tested in the US . So make sure that all styro's and cartons are 100% intact.