Author Topic: How to clean an lp with shoe polish on it?  (Read 1122 times)

Offline brainwashed

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Brainwashed by our teachers and all their rules!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
How to clean an lp with shoe polish on it?
« on: Aug 20, 2009 at 08:42 PM »
i recently came upon a very rare dinosaur album. i would have bought it on the spot, even though the cover was in very poor state, but the lp had shoe polish on it to make it shine and look good. i also was in a bit of a hurry and did not have time to haggle for a fair price. i do intend to go back and get it but i have to know first if i am not just wasting money.

now my question is how do you remove the she polish from the lp. will the usual distilled water-alcohol-joy solution still work? i don't think buffing the record with an old rag then cleaning the lp with the solution would work because if i remember right, from 2 years experience of shining combat boots every friday night along time ago, shoe polish deflects water. any suggestions? tia.

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
Re: How to clean an lp with shoe polish on it?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 24, 2009 at 10:08 AM »
The shoe polish is wax/oil based.  Try testing it on another surface by applying the shoe polish, then, apply the joy formulation.  Most grease/oil/grime can be removed by joy.  Good luck.

Offline brainwashed

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2009 at 10:41 AM »
The shoe polish is wax/oil based.  Try testing it on another surface by applying the shoe polish, then, apply the joy formulation.  Most grease/oil/grime can be removed by joy.  Good luck.

thanks for the suggestion.

Offline pete80

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2009 at 11:57 AM »
How did you get on with cleaning your LP?

One of my friends in the UK is a record Dealer (collectible and rare vinyl) and he used a small amount of lighter fuel applied with a soft cloth (spectacles cleaner).

This took out every bit of stubborn dirt and restored the good sound.

Offline brainwashed

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 20, 2009 at 07:31 PM »
How did you get on with cleaning your LP?

One of my friends in the UK is a record Dealer (collectible and rare vinyl) and he used a small amount of lighter fuel applied with a soft cloth (spectacles cleaner).

This took out every bit of stubborn dirt and restored the good sound.

I decided against buying the record. The buyer was asking too much. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.

Offline virginboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: Sep 20, 2009 at 08:05 PM »
SHETNAMALAGKET.  i thought shoe polish was used to clean vinyl!!!  yeah, back in the '90s merong nabibiling solution intended for cleaning LPs... smells like lighter fluid ngah!  It was pricey then so I just use "alcologne" instead... which i put in an atomizer(?), so i could just spray and wipe. x

That's all.